Are you evil wheel-gunners satisfied now?

PDA

bushmaster1313
March 13, 2011, 11:35 AM
First you make me buy this 27-2 then you give me grief for the Pachmayr's I put on it.

Are you satisfied now?

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/bushmaster1313/27-2magnaleft.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you evil wheel-gunners satisfied now?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MartinS
March 13, 2011, 12:12 PM
Glorious, but why don't you put Pachmayrs on it?

Guillermo
March 13, 2011, 12:17 PM
Are you satisfied now?

no

I want LESS competition for fine old guns...not more

bushmaster1313
March 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
Glorious, but why don't you put Pachmayrs on it?

I had Pachmayr's on it - but that caused me to catch flak:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/bushmaster1313/27-2left.jpg

SaxonPig
March 13, 2011, 12:53 PM
Much better.

CraigC
March 13, 2011, 01:23 PM
I'll sleep better tonight but fancy walnut Herrett's Ropers would be better. :p

Standing Wolf
March 13, 2011, 02:01 PM
I fell for the common "knowledge" that Pachmayr rubber grips reduce perceived recoil in the late 1970s. "Ugly," I told myself, "but useful."

To my considerable surprise, rubber grips actually don't reduce perceived recoil. What's needed is a "handle," whatever it's made of, that fully fills your palm. Pachmayr grips tend to be fairly thin, and so fill only part of most palms. They're good for people with uncommonly small hands, but leave average and large palms largely unfilled. The more you spread out the area of recoil, the less of it you'll feel per square inch.

That said™, neither Smith & Wesson nor Colt factory stocks ever fit my hand well: too small at the tops, too thick at the bottoms. I've found the best results with Herrett's and Nill's. Cheap? No. Quick? No. Better? Lots!

CraigC
March 13, 2011, 02:10 PM
I fell for the common "knowledge" that Pachmayr rubber grips reduce perceived recoil in the late 1970s. "Ugly," I told myself, "but useful."

To my considerable surprise, rubber grips actually don't reduce perceived recoil. What's needed is a "handle," whatever it's made of, that fully fills your palm. Pachmayr grips tend to be fairly thin, and so fill only part of most palms. They're good for people with uncommonly small hands, but leave average and large palms largely unfilled. The more you spread out the area of recoil, the less of it you'll feel per square inch.

That said™, neither Smith & Wesson nor Colt factory stocks ever fit my hand well: too small at the tops, too thick at the bottoms. I've found the best results with Herrett's and Nill's. Cheap? No. Quick? No. Better? Lots!
Excellent post!!!!

Not to sound elitist or snobbish, but I really think that if more people actually tried real, hand-filling custom stocks, the rubber grip market would wither. I think folks migrate towards rubber grips for the reasons you mentioned, for the misconception that they absorb recoil, because they're cheap, readily available and more people are more familiar with them. Not because they are actually better.

DM~
March 13, 2011, 02:19 PM
Yer welcome... Now get a M-29-2 to go with it!

DM

DM~
March 13, 2011, 02:45 PM
Not to sound elitist or snobbish, but I really think that if more people actually tried real, hand-filling custom stocks, the rubber grip market would wither. I think folks migrate towards rubber grips for the reasons you mentioned, for the misconception that they absorb recoil, because they're cheap, readily available and more people are more familiar with them. Not because they are actually better.

I don't give a d@m how my handgun grips "look", as i'm only after performance! I'm a hunter, and i'll use what gives me the tightest groups. SO, i paid my dollars waaaaay back when, and had Herett make me a set of custom grips "for my hand", for my M-19 and also a set for my M-29. I wasn't a new shooter, i was already winning many of the long range matches i attended, and the custom grips DID make my groups shrink...

Anyway, about that time i tried my first set of Pachmayr grips, and i was amazed that my groups shrunk even more! There's no doubt to me the rubber grips made me a better handgun shooter! And YES, they do feel like they lessen the recoil to my hand a bit...

Today, many thousands of rounds later, the wood grips are long gone, and only Pachmayrs are on my "serious" hunting/defence handguns! As like i said, i'm out for what works best, not what looks best...

DM

bannockburn
March 13, 2011, 04:00 PM
bushmaster1313

Yes, infinitely much better. Thank you for your due diligence in this matter. See we're not so evil after all.

bushmaster1313
March 13, 2011, 04:36 PM
T'was the kitty that convinced me:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/bushmaster1313/CIMG0015_0003.jpg

Ala Dan
March 13, 2011, 05:15 PM
Well satisfied, I will take the "kitty" too~! :D :D

H. Faversham
March 13, 2011, 06:39 PM
bushmaster1313, don't kid yourself. Wood hurts!
Sure, wood is beautiful, but, for a K/L-Frame with full house magnum ammo, if it doesn't cover the backstrap and completely fill your hand in the right places, while letting you comfortably reach the trigger (which means a custom made set just for you), save yourself the pain.
Off the shelf wood and factory wood is for admiring, while Pachs or Hogue Monogrips are for the field and range.
Rubber does absorb some recoil, especially in the web of your hand. Ask the guys who shoot the absurdly painful (with wood) S&W Model 329.:eek:

S&Wfan
March 13, 2011, 07:31 PM
MUCH better! Love magnas on the 3 1/2" N frames . . . a classic look, ala a '57 Chevy Bel Air convertible

content
March 13, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hello friends and neighbors // Well done, I dislike handsome vintage firearms looking like any other clone out there.

The Pachmyer grips have a way of doing just that.

Hondo 60
March 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
Very smart kitty!
Mine flinches & runs when I pull out a gun to play with.
(using snap caps of course)

By the way, that M27 looks mahvelous!

armsmaster270
March 13, 2011, 10:21 PM
To hell with them all it's your gun put what you want on it. They don't have to carry or shoot it.

CraigC
March 13, 2011, 10:27 PM
I don't give a d@m how my handgun grips "look", as i'm only after performance!
I do believe that comfort and performance are what we were talking about. Looks are important but secondary to shooting comfort. Fit is the most important aspect. "Wood only hurts" if your grips don't fit your hand.

Sistema1927
March 13, 2011, 10:40 PM
What, no T-Grip?

NMGonzo
March 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
Ahahahah!!!!!!!!

Victory!

Walkalong
March 13, 2011, 11:32 PM
Yes, much, much better now. :)

I will take the "kitty" too~!
We have a cat that looks very much like that one. He's a good cat. He was a stray that adopted us.

VA27
March 13, 2011, 11:57 PM
What, no T-Grip?
Dang, beat me to it! That beautiful gun cries out for a T-Grip! Perhaps a bronze one?

The_Shootist
March 14, 2011, 12:02 AM
Damn thats a NICE revolver - sure don't build them like that anymore.

Radagast
March 14, 2011, 01:05 AM
Needs a set of Ropers. :P

Also cool pirate cat. :)

788Ham
March 14, 2011, 01:39 AM
First off Bushy, get something to fill in that unsightly screw on the front of the grip, then get some grips to hide the muffed screw-job, then you'll be set!:eek:
Just kidding Bushy, wishing that rig was mine, you can keep the cat, my 3 dogs wouldn't understand!:cuss:

nwilliams
March 14, 2011, 01:55 AM
If you want to replace the wood grips with rubber ones then by all means do it!

It's your gun and if Pachmayr grips feel more comfortable to you shoot better with them then why not. The wood grips might be more attractive but what's important is how the gun feels to you.

I'm planning to replace the wood grips on my 15-2 with rubber grips because I find them to be more comfortable. Eventually I want to put a Tyler T-Grip on it but I haven't even ordered one yet and it will be a couple months before it I even get it after it's ordered, so in the meantime an ugly rubber grip will need to do.

Deaf Smith
March 15, 2011, 01:32 AM
First you make me buy this 27-2 then you give me grief for the Pachmayr's I put on it.

Are you satisfied now?

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/bushmaster1313/27-2magnaleft.jpg
Nothing satisfies an evil wheelgunner!

NOTHING!!!

Hahahahahaha!

Deaf

Iggy
March 15, 2011, 09:06 AM
It's OK for a beauty like that to wear rubber coveralls when working on the range, but I sure wouldn't want to take her for a promenade down the bullyvard if she warn't wearin' her best sashayin' duds.;):D

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p246/Iggy25/leftgrip.jpg?t=1300191375

kbbailey
March 15, 2011, 10:08 AM
<not so fast bushmaster....>

Now that the grip question has been addressed......we need know what the holster looks like.

You DO have a holster.....don't you??

Iggy
March 15, 2011, 10:46 AM
He's workin' on that angle already.:evil:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=576969

kbbailey
March 15, 2011, 12:03 PM
I think I should hold on to that mod 27 'til you get things in order, Bushmaster.

CraigC
March 15, 2011, 02:43 PM
I guess I never understood the logic behind paying for a beautiful set of custom stocks and then puttin' rubbers on it at the range. IMHO, their value comes in the enjoyment and that should happen at every opportunity. :)

bushmaster1313
March 15, 2011, 08:43 PM
<not so fast bushmaster....>

Now that the grip question has been addressed......we need know what the holster looks like.

You DO have a holster.....don't you??

Do I have Holster?
You must kidding me Comrade.
Why need holster?
Law restrict guns to Party representative passed by glorious Legistature eliminate all crime in Peoples Republik of New Jersey.
Report of crime from Camden, Trenton and Newark reactionary propaganda by running Tea Party dogs.
Dangerous idea Constitution protect People to Keep and Bear arms pollute Revolutionay Purity of Thought and make enemy of State who need report reeducation immediately.

Walkalong
March 17, 2011, 08:49 AM
Now you need one of these. (It never stops once you discover revolvers. ;))

1955 Target. Pic doesn't do it justice. It's gorgeous.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79969&d=1213558278

Jeb21
March 17, 2011, 01:27 PM
Beautiful!

Cop Bob
March 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
WHAT... NO Crimson Trace?????????????

mes227
March 17, 2011, 03:38 PM
You ONLY have ONE?

sixgunner455
March 17, 2011, 07:51 PM
Pachmayers - meh. Hogue Monogrip - just the ticket. Wood or not.

Don't know any evil wheelgunners. We are the antithesis of evil, the "not-the-dark-side" side ... and we have cookies, too, kiddies!

bushmaster1313
April 5, 2011, 11:05 PM
Your evil influence knows no bounds:

1956/57 Pre-27. Took possession today.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/bushmaster1313/CIMG0014_0009.jpg

Here it is with its younger (and stubbier) brother, a 1975/76 27-2:
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/bushmaster1313/CIMG0020_0003.jpg

Here it is with $25 Herrets grips off of Gunbroker
I hope to refinish with Tru-Oil and maybe send them out for checkering

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/bushmaster1313/CIMG0012_0007.jpg

BrocLuno
April 6, 2011, 03:51 PM
Funny you should mention that - I tried some Smiths with Crimson Trace grips and was very favorably impressed. They fit my somewhat big hands perfectly. I didn't care for the laser at it's a line pointing right back to the shooter? But the grips were some of the most comfortable I have ever tried. Best palm swell I have tried. Now to save up my pennies :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you evil wheel-gunners satisfied now?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!