when you order a gun online, the FFL that gets your gun, how can you be sure they

PDA

thelaststand
March 13, 2011, 08:02 PM
won't change the price after they get the guns? Is there anything one should know to do before ordering online? Should the transfer fee be paid before the guns are bought online?

If you enjoyed reading about "when you order a gun online, the FFL that gets your gun, how can you be sure they" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
markallen
March 13, 2011, 08:15 PM
When you buy a firearm online, you pay the seller of the firearm. He ships the firearm to your FFL. Your FFL recieves the firearm, and logs it into his records. You go to your FFL, and do the 4473 form, and do the NICS check, and if it goes well, you then pay the FFL a transfer fee, and take possession of your firearm, barring any waiting periods.

oneounceload
March 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
change the price? HUH? It seems you do not know how thew process works - you might want to read up on that before you go buying online

HorseSoldier
March 13, 2011, 08:26 PM
Yeah, every time I've done an FFL transfer I talked to the gun store, we agreed upon a price, and then I paid that for the transfer once the gun came in. If you're worried your FFL can't be trusted to keep their word on the quoted price I'd say either find a new FFL or maybe ask for it in writing.

o Unforgiven o
March 13, 2011, 08:27 PM
It would be hard for them to change the price for something they are not selling you. The sole purpose for the recieving FFL where you pick the gun up is to transfer the gun to you, you have already purchased it.

If you mean change the price of the transfer, well I guess if you are worried about that get the price in writing before using them or find a shop that you trust.

kingpin008
March 13, 2011, 08:37 PM
As others have said, they can't change the price on an item they're not selling.

The transfer fee is paid at the time of receiving the gun, because before that, no transfer has taken place. You could pre-pay, but there's no reason to.

If I had a dealer receive a gun bought online and he quoted me a price for the transfer, then upped that price when it came time to complete the transfer, I'd simply have him return the gun to the seller, and find another FFL.

Ala Dan
March 13, 2011, 08:41 PM
transfer fee's vary from FFL to FFL~! :uhoh:

Some collect $10 for the fee, while other's collect $50~! :scrutiny: ;)

HorseSoldier
March 13, 2011, 08:49 PM
+1. I've paid anywhere from $10-25 for a single gun (or should say $25, and then $10 after that when I found a place that was more reasonable on charges). Also paid a flat rate of $50 for a Pelican case full of pistols when I moved to Alaska, which ended up being something less than $5/gun.

thelaststand
March 13, 2011, 09:00 PM
Obviously I'm talking about the FFL transfer fee, how can I be sure they don't change the price of the transfer? Is it something they probably won't do. Let's say I'm buying 4 guns and we agree that it's 25 for the first and then 5 bucks for the next three. What's to hold them to it? Should I try to pay the transfer first?

General Geoff
March 13, 2011, 09:02 PM
Let's say I'm buying 4 guns and we agree that it's 25 for the first and then 5 bucks for the next three. What's to hold them to it? Should I try to pay the transfer first?

If you can't trust your FFL at their word, get the quote in writing. Or go somewhere else.

kingpin008
March 13, 2011, 09:11 PM
Well for one, you can get it in writing. Other than that, as I mentioned above you can simply refuse to pay. If they try to jack you up, refuse the transfer and have it sent back to the buyer, then complete the transfer with a reputable dealer.

In general though, this really isn't something to worry about. Most dealers aren't crooked, and the ones that are usually screw you in worse ways that gouging a few extra bucks out of ya in transfer fees.

Joshua M.
March 14, 2011, 08:45 AM
Where you located? In Ohio, you can only purchase 1 handgun per 7 days without having a report sent to your local Sheriffs dept. If it is long guns, I believe that you can get as many as you want. And to answer your question, if you can't trust your local FFL, I would be looking for a diffrut to do business with...my .02 worth

SaxonPig
March 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
Nothing to prevent him from going back on the deal, I guess. Except maybe the knowledge that cheating you this time results in losing your business. You are buying 4 guns at a time. As a transfer dealer I would want to keep you coming back.

joshk-k
March 14, 2011, 09:08 PM
One other thing to check, that might be relevant: Is the receiving FFL willing to transfer a gun that you bought from an individual (say on the forum here) and was shipped by that individual, not through an FFL on their end. I had a problem with that, where the FFL at my end had physically received the shipment of a gun that I had bought from a man elsewhere, but refused to transfer it to me. I ended up having to get a photocopy of the seller's driver license emailed to me to show the FFL, and the seller was pretty pissed (appropriately, about the threat of identity theft).

Worked out, and I don't use that joke of a shop anymore, but it was a lesson.

Josh

ghostwriter
March 15, 2011, 01:24 AM
When I sell online and ship to a buyers FFL, I include a copy of my invoice in the box or gun case along with a letter/bill of sale that includes a photocopy of my DL so there's no issues on their end. Identity theft... give me a break. I got nothing to steal... hey... know where i can buy another license and ssa card?

MattTheHat
March 15, 2011, 07:56 PM
If you can't trust your FFL at their word, get the quote in writing.

Or save everybody some trouble and find an FFL that you can trust.

-Matt

Bubba613
March 15, 2011, 09:21 PM
I know when I get a gun in the first thing I try to do is strip out all the good parts and replace them with worn out stuff. Then I can say it's the seller's fault. I also don't honor my word and steal things. Then I blame other people.
Also if it looks like something interesting, a vintage Colt or Smith, I'll take it out and put a few hundred hi speed loads through it. Just to make sure it functions.
That's how you get a reputation in this business!

NavyLCDR
March 15, 2011, 09:39 PM
If I had a dealer receive a gun bought online and he quoted me a price for the transfer, then upped that price when it came time to complete the transfer, I'd simply have him return the gun to the seller

Well for one, you can get it in writing. Other than that, as I mentioned above you can simply refuse to pay. If they try to jack you up, refuse the transfer and have it sent back to the buyer

That only works if the gun was purchased from an FFL. Once the gun is received by the purchaser's FFL and logged into his bound book, he can only transfer that gun out via a form 4473 or send it to another FFL. If the gun was purchased from a private party and shipped to the FFL by that private party, shipping the gun back to the seller is not a legal option.

If you enjoyed reading about "when you order a gun online, the FFL that gets your gun, how can you be sure they" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!