If You Could Shoot WITH Any President

PDA

InkEd
March 14, 2011, 10:16 AM
Just a fun little hypothetical question for a rainy Monday. If you could go shooting WITH any United States President in history, who would you pick?

Feel free to explain the reason.

Personally, I would love to go on a safari with Theodore Roosevelt BUT I would probably pick Ronald Reagan.

The reason being, I would take him to a "machine gun shoot" and hopefully after enjoying himself he would not have signed the bill closing the NFA registry. If he still signed it, I'd be a little surprised and disappointed BUT I still would have gotten to spend the afternoon with one of our greatest Presidents. After all, no human is perfect.

Who would you pick? (Please let's keep this up to THR standards and not have any talks about "accidently shooting" one of our Presidents.)

If you enjoyed reading about "If You Could Shoot WITH Any President" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HGUNHNTR
March 14, 2011, 10:26 AM
I would choose our current president. He is a well spoken, well read articulate dude...would probably be a lot of fun.

memphisjim
March 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
teddy

CZguy
March 14, 2011, 10:33 AM
I would choose our current president. He is a well spoken, well read articulate dude...would probably be a lot of fun.

Well I gotta admit that I didn't see that one coming.

I would pick Harry S. Truman. My Dad's first paying job was picking tomatoes for him, when they had neighboring farms. My Dad had many interesting stories about him.

MtnCreek
March 14, 2011, 10:33 AM
Ranoldus Magnus

Sam1911
March 14, 2011, 10:34 AM
Probably Jefferson. I don't know that I'd want to do a whole lot of shooting, though, so much as just sit and listen to such an varied and widely educated person hopefully discussing comparative theories of government and to maybe present some illustrations of hypothetical future social and technological developments for his commentary.

TexasRifleman
March 14, 2011, 10:39 AM
Safari with TR for me for sure.

rbernie
March 14, 2011, 10:45 AM
Teddy is always a favorite in this sort of thread, and he'd likely be my first choice.

TexasRifleman
March 14, 2011, 11:21 AM
Can't believe we have to do this again but.... no party politics at THR and certainly no discussions, even attempting to be funny, of shooting any public figures.

Couple of posts deleted, if you see yours missing you know why.

kingpin008
March 14, 2011, 11:33 AM
Abraham Lincoln, hands down. Would have loved to help him test-fire the first Spencer rifles. :D

Hardware
March 14, 2011, 11:33 AM
My first choice would be TR as well. However, since everyone picks TR, I'm going to say Jackson. Revolutionary war veteran, co-founder of Memphis TN, Creek and Seminole wars, and of course, in the war of 1812 he commanded the victory at New Orleans. He was also the first president to go through an assassination attempt. Plenty of good stories there, I am sure!

browneu
March 14, 2011, 12:18 PM
Washington, it would be cool to show him how firearms changed in 200 years.

brnmuenchow
March 14, 2011, 12:24 PM
I'm with Kingpin008: Abraham Lincoln, to be there that day in history to test fire one of the rifles that truly changed the face of the american west!

towboat_er
March 14, 2011, 12:34 PM
Grant

phoglund
March 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
Teddy Roosevelt. Irregardless of being the popular pick I'm thinking he'd be the most interesting to shoot with as well as possibly being the best shooter of the bunch.

cdavis
March 14, 2011, 12:46 PM
I'd have to go with Jefferson Davis, being from Alabama and all.

csbassplayer2003
March 14, 2011, 12:47 PM
Any president that makes me look like an expert marksman by comparison =)

Sky
March 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
Shoot with Teddy and golf with Obama for a lot of bets and money!

merlinfire
March 14, 2011, 12:59 PM
Any president that makes me look like an expert marksman by comparison =)

Haha, nice. Really, for me it wouldn't be so much "shoot with" as it would be to talk to them while shooting with them. TR is an obvious pick, but shooting with GW or Abe would be good too. I'd like to see the look on GW's face when I put in AR in his hand.

Those kind of anachronisms is why I loved the book "Guns of the South". If you haven't read it, you should. Synopsis: the confederacy gets AK's. <insert rebel yell here>

AKElroy
March 14, 2011, 01:02 PM
I would love to take Obama on a pig shoot. I think he would only benefit from a little red state culture. A day of slow smoking that piggy, sitting around the fire, smoking some cohibas with real people could do the man some good.

HGUNHNTR
March 14, 2011, 01:06 PM
Those kind of anachronisms is why I loved the book "Guns of the South". If you haven't read it, you should. Synopsis: the confederacy gets AK's. <insert rebel yell here>

So we can preserve slavery? :uhoh:

clamman
March 14, 2011, 01:10 PM
I pick George Washington, because he was a Master Mason.

Cosmoline
March 14, 2011, 01:12 PM
I agree re. Jefferson. He was a practiced fowler. I would be interested to see what methods and observations have been lost to time.

Washington would also be of interest, if only to see exactly what kind of rifle he did have. Though by all accounts he was NOT a man you could easily warm up to one-to-one.

TR wasn't actually that great a shot. The science of optometry was not that well developed, so I doubt his vision was ever properly corrected. But I wouldn't pick him simply because we already know so much about his shooting and his views on the world. Other, earlier Presidents never recorded their lives in such detail.

highlander 5
March 14, 2011, 01:13 PM
Toss up between TR and Lincoln

merlinfire
March 14, 2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:
So we can preserve slavery?

This is off topic, but if you read the book you'll find out.

Lou McGopher
March 14, 2011, 01:41 PM
Richard Henry Lee.

To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves...and include all men capable of bearing arms.The constitution ought to secure a genuine militia and guard against a select militia. .... all regulations tending to render this general militia useless and defenseless, by establishing select corps of militia, or distinct bodies of military men, not having permanent interests and attachments to the community ought to be avoided.

Axel Larson
March 14, 2011, 01:46 PM
Jefferson no question about it. He would love modern firearms;).

jbrown50
March 14, 2011, 01:48 PM
President Obama.

Why?

It gives me a chance to contradict all of the lies that his anti-gun buddies are saying about us gun owners.

cl4de6
March 14, 2011, 01:59 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Andrew Jackson.

This is a guy who fought and won 13 duels with percussion cap pistols. Kind of makes you wonder what he would be like on steel plates with a semi-auto.

daorhgih
March 14, 2011, 02:00 PM
F.D.R., but only if Eleanor came along, and brought her personal Thompson .45 SMG. Franklin could remain seated, and do our reloading. I would never choose B.H. . because I might need a vacation, but not one at hard-labor for 20 years. [ To those who were deleted: Got to show our True Colors. IBTL ] Dao.

dovedescending
March 14, 2011, 02:05 PM
VP's too? 'Cause Dick Cheney might be fun to shoot with :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. I would like to take John Adams out for a day at the range, but more for the "small-talk" than the shooting. I find my most productive and thought provoking conversations with friends are had between targets and while reloading mags. And then home for a beer afterwards :D

Superpsy
March 14, 2011, 02:09 PM
Can't believe no one has mentioned Dubya as yet. He would be fun to shoot with. Especially if we get to shoot on his ranch. Bush Jr. is my pick.

Grousefeather
March 14, 2011, 02:24 PM
How about Eisenhower? He was quite a bird hunter as well. I saw a pic of a model 21 double he had with his initials on it.

Water-Man
March 14, 2011, 02:28 PM
Zachary Taylor...Lots of military experience and a Whig! How many can say they shot with a Whig?! :neener:

yeti
March 14, 2011, 02:33 PM
I would go shoot with any of our past or present employees, my number is in the book, they can call and ask, I'll even spring for lunch and throw in a growler for the SS detail... as long as they let me fire a mag or two through their 'toys.'

yeti
March 14, 2011, 02:35 PM
But forget the safari with TR, I have read about the hash his last trip to the Amazon turned into, 'sides, he'd probably just hang out with Kermit and drink all the cold beer.

CTPhil
March 14, 2011, 02:36 PM
President Obama.

Why?

It gives me a chance to contradict all of the lies that his anti-gun buddies are saying about us gun owners.
Same here. He's an intelligent and reasonable man, maybe some hands on education would change his perspective a little.

yeti
March 14, 2011, 02:43 PM
Same here. He's an intelligent and reasonable man, maybe some hands on education would change his perspective a little.

Yeah, and if pigs could fly...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/Sus_scrofa_avionica.png/800px-Sus_scrofa_avionica.png

Jerry Ford may have made for a fun range outing.

Walkalong
March 14, 2011, 02:49 PM
Teddy

09prknotts
March 14, 2011, 03:00 PM
Eisenhower, great general and probably one of the best president's we've ever had.

geekWithA.45
March 14, 2011, 03:30 PM
Offhand, I'd say George Washington or Thomas Jefferson, but the thing is, I would *not* want to have the "So, how'd it turn out?" discussion with either of them.

I'd just have to say that the fat lady ain't sung yet, and leave it at that.

mister2
March 14, 2011, 03:43 PM
Uncle Teddy fer shure!

How about Vice-Presidents? :)

Ben86
March 14, 2011, 03:47 PM
It's a tie between Washington and Obama. I'd like to shoot with Obama in hopes of changing his mind about gun control. Washington would have a load of cool war stories and I'd love to introduce him to the advancement in modern rifles.

DammitBoy
March 14, 2011, 03:58 PM
William McKinley - I'd like to teach him some defensive shooting techniques.

Daveboone
March 14, 2011, 03:59 PM
Okay, here goes...Seeming as we are talking going out for a fun relaxing time shooting.
I am a great admirer of TR, but having read very extentsivley on him, I really dont think I would enjoy his company. Born and raised, everything was allways about him.
Lincoln I am in total awe of, and he had a very avid interest in firearms although he himself wasnt much of a shooter. I think he would be great company though.
Jimmy Carter was a born and bread southern boy, very well indoctrinated in firearms and hunting. Hated his poliitics, but he was true sportsman. I dont think I would enjoy his company much though. Not sure if he ever really relaxed.
Reagan of course was an avid outdoorsman, and I think he would be really great company.

c1ogden
March 14, 2011, 04:12 PM
When would we be together? When he was President or today?

If it was in his time I'd pick George Washington, just to be able to tell him of the shortcomings in our Constitution while America was still American enough to do something about it.

PcolaDawg
March 14, 2011, 04:34 PM
Love T.R., so he has to be high on the list. He loved the shooting sports, knew a lot about everything, and wasn't shy - so he'd be a great choice.

Not sure Jefferson would be much of a conversationalist. He did most of his talking with his pen.

John Adams would be too much of a conversationalist.

Washington would be a bit too distant.

Lincoln would be fun to shoot the breeze with in the lodge after the hunt, not so sure about during.

Grant would be a blast, mainly after the hunt, in the lodge, after a six pack or two.

Andrew Jackson would probably be a decent choice. Very powerful with a strong personality, but a lot in common with the common man.

Negative on Truman. Not sure why. Something tells me he'd be a bit of a pill on a hunt. Wouldn't mind having dinner with him, though.

Same with Bush the elder.

GWB would be great. Although I have a feeling you'd better be a decent shot or he'd ride you the entire trip - in a good natured way, but relentless.

Clinton would be a total waste on the hunt, but would be a great choice to go bar hopping with afterwards.

Ditto JFK.

I think Obama would be a bigger waste on the hunt and useless in the lodge afterwards as he would be a total fish out of water. Wouldn't mind having coffee with him at a trendy coffee bar in Seattle, though.

Reagan would be great on the hunt and a great guy to have in the lodge or around a campfire afterwards, but I get the feeling he wouldn't open up like you might think. Almost be like hunting with dad.

Ditto Eisenhower.

Nixon might be fine if he hit everything he shot. If he missed, though, I'm thinking he'd get cranky and ruin it for everyone.

James Monroe would be low on the list as well. Brilliant, but physically weak and a horrible conversationalist.

I know there are others, but I think I'll stop there. Over all, I'd have to choose .....

RUTHERFORD HAYES!!!!!! :what:

Just kidding. I'd go with Teddy Roosevelt. Definitely. :cool:

daorhgih
March 14, 2011, 05:28 PM
... if he would have and could have run and won : George Smith Patton.

HorseSoldier
March 14, 2011, 06:01 PM
Would be pretty cool to turn Teddy Roosevelt onto IPSC or IDPA. I'm thinking he'd take to that like a duck to water.

That said, I'd be willing to shoot with Obama. Can't say I've ever shot with someone who appears as anti-gun as he is, but every anti-gun type I've managed to haul to the range has ended up with a much more favorable take on guns than they had before putting some rounds downrange.

thorn726
March 14, 2011, 06:08 PM
Which one you think could get us on the deck of a battleship to fire off a few shells? that would be the one for me

Joe Demko
March 14, 2011, 06:12 PM
JFK. He liked guns and enjoyed shooting. Plus, I'd have enjoyed having cigars and mojitos after the shooting was done.
TR, for all his love of guns and hunting wasn't much of a shot. Especially after losing the sight in one eye. He wounded atrocious numbers of animals on safari according to a couple of books I've read. These books were by authors who admired him, btw.

chris in va
March 14, 2011, 06:13 PM
Clinton or Obama. Absolutely. It would be a riot, and they'd get an education on firearms.

PowerJoker6.0
March 14, 2011, 06:16 PM
Hoover hands down

XxWINxX94
March 14, 2011, 06:34 PM
Jefferson, Jackson, or TR.

All of the above were "gun people" of their day.
-Jefferson influenced the 2nd ammendment.
-Jackson was a dueler(spelling?) and nearly his whole term as president, did the job with a bullet less than an inch from his heart.
-We all know Teddy was a great hunter.

TheGewehrGuy
March 14, 2011, 06:36 PM
I'm not to sure going shooting with a politician could change their outlook on firearms, especially a president.

They have so much power that even if they decided to ban guns completely, they could go to the range whenever they want, with whatever guns they want, politicians think they are above the law.

The worst thing about gun control is that its based on a very submissive thought that guns are bad, and voters/politicians who vote against guns don't even feel strongly about getting rid of them anyway.

The only thing I hate about democracies is that the majority decides the outcome for the minority, although the final outcome may not affect the majority in a positive or negative way.

With that said, I would probably want to go shooting with Thomas Jefferson or George Washington. They were major advocates of the right to bear arms, and the only instance where they failed to show it was by the wording of the 2nd Amendment, it should have said "Anyone can own any gun/ accessories/ ammo they want and there are to be no restrictions of any kind, unless they are crazy or a felon."

redloki
March 14, 2011, 06:38 PM
Jefferson Davis. You did say ANY President. :D

PowerJoker6.0
March 14, 2011, 06:45 PM
^oh well in that case, ill definitely go with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad^ haha

shotgunjoel
March 14, 2011, 07:09 PM
I think that Eisenhower would be a lot of fun to bust some clays with. I know that he liked to bird hunt and shoot trap. i think that he was a pretty good president too. GWB would be a lot of fun too. I like how nobody has said Carter, he's a gun owner....

Arkansas Paul
March 14, 2011, 07:24 PM
Though he's not my favorite president, George W. would likely be a hoot to hang out with. He's still a country boy at heart. I bet he knows his way around a firearm too.

SharpsDressedMan
March 14, 2011, 07:52 PM
JFK, just so I could brag about it now to all the liberals, including my brother, who is one of the worst party line propaganda ministers I've ever known. It would be so cool to say, "Yeah, well Jack Kennedy and I used to go shooting together, and HE wasn't against guns!"

Sam1911
March 14, 2011, 07:52 PM
Which one you think could get us on the deck of a battleship to fire off a few shells? that would be the one for me

That would be Theo Roosevelt, to be sure. Grand naval exercises were one of his favorite office perks.

He wasn't a very good shot (poor eyesight as said) and he would probably not be very good company for a libertarian leaning kind of guy (he felt it was up to the courts to force him to follow the Constitution, until then he had no use for it), but he'd been lots of places and shot lots of stuff.

DammitBoy
March 14, 2011, 07:54 PM
I might like to go shooting with Obama if we could do it in one of Afghanistan's more interesting provinces, like Khost, Kunar, or Helmand... he could be my spotter.

That'd be an education for the lil feller.

merlinfire
March 14, 2011, 08:15 PM
Though he's not my favorite president, George W. would likely be a hoot to hang out with. He's still a country boy at heart. I bet he knows his way around a firearm too.

Whether you agreed with his policies or not, seems like he is a genuinely nice guy and down to earth.

kayak-man
March 14, 2011, 08:33 PM
George W would be fun to shoot with probably. I would not turn down a chance to talk with him.

Andrew Jackson was an avid dueller, and despite a lot of flaws in his politics, he was an extradorinary fellow, and if he would be willing to talk about his experiances in duelling and pass on that knowledge, I'm not going to complain! He would probably like shooting a USPSA style match with a 1911 or a Garand.

Jefferson and Washington might be interesting, and I would love to hear what they have to say about rifle marksmanship and the tactics of the day.

I'll admit I have a tendency to idolize TR a bit, but if there was same way I could get him and Hemmingway to the MGM IronMan competition...

It goes without saying that if at all possible, I'd being hitting the bars with JFK later that evening :evil:

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

True Grit
March 14, 2011, 08:51 PM
Thank god Dick Cheney never got elected president :D

luigi
March 14, 2011, 08:56 PM
If it absolutely has to be a President Thomas Jefferson and I would just shut up and listen (Well, maybe the occasional question)

If I get some leeway as to the historical figure I choose it would be Robert E. Lee

Manco
March 14, 2011, 09:33 PM
Preferably Teddy or Abey. Any president would be fine, though, each for a different reason, but no vice presidents, please! That's right, Dick Cheney and Aaron Burr--I ain't taking my eyes off either of you. :scrutiny:

Patriotme
March 14, 2011, 09:43 PM
It probably would be an interesting day but I think you'd have to pick a small caliber or a weapon that had very little recoil. I can't see Obama shooting anything that might kick.
Crickets perhaps?

THE DARK KNIGHT
March 14, 2011, 09:43 PM
If George W. is anything like he was in Harold and Kumar, I think I could put politics aside for a night :D

Bentonville
March 14, 2011, 09:46 PM
U.S. Grant. He must have had lots of experience with guns.

sappnasty
March 14, 2011, 09:48 PM
Teddy all day ;)

22-rimfire
March 14, 2011, 09:52 PM
I think I would thoroughly enjoy shooting with W but I don't hang out with many millionaires.

kiskicowboy
March 14, 2011, 10:04 PM
My pick would be President George W. Bush for sure. He is a real sportsman, is very much down to earth, and would be a lot of fun to share a good hunt with.

Plus, he's also a SASS member!

CZguy
March 14, 2011, 10:12 PM
I think I would thoroughly enjoy shooting with W but I don't hang out with many millionaires.

Sounds like their loss.

I went fishing once with a friend of my Uncle's, who was a millionaire, but he stiffed me for bait. I figured thats how he got to be rich.

bannockburn
March 14, 2011, 10:12 PM
Teddy Roosevelt for sure. Maybe Andy Jackson, but I would definitely have to watch what I said around him; wouldn't want to get on his bad side. Possibly Abraham Lincoln, just to show him how far we have come with repeating rifles.

But I would trade all of these Presidents just to spend the day shooting with the likes of Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, and Col. Jeff Cooper. I would take these three gentlemen over a trio of politicians anytime.

Smaug
March 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
I read once that he loved to shoot 22s off the back of his porch.

Just imagine, shooting 22s with Lincoln, having a beer and a cigar. (and I'm not even a smoker)

It would be awesome.

Intrepid Dad
March 14, 2011, 10:45 PM
I'd go with Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan as a close second.

Clinton would be a total waste on the hunt, but would be a great choice to go bar hopping with afterwards.

That's what I was thinking. Plus, he knows how to get the women.

shotgunjoel
March 14, 2011, 11:40 PM
Plus he has Saddam's Glock 18!

ghostwriter
March 15, 2011, 01:03 AM
I'd like to go shootin' with John Marion Wayne... oh wait... he wasn't elected was he...(?) He was a mason though like Washington.

doc2rn
March 15, 2011, 01:49 AM
I would take George W also, but my venue would be in a combat zone.

Tinpig
March 15, 2011, 01:52 AM
Grover Cleveland was a renowned fresh and salt water fisherman, duck, quail, and rabbit hunter; he was an avid camper and outdoorsman despite his considerable bulk. One of the best spots for bluefish, stripers, and flounder off Cape Cod is still called Cleveland's Ledge.
By all accounts he was good company and a serious sportsman, so I'd think an afternoon shooting with him would be very well spent.

ZCORR Jay
March 15, 2011, 08:17 AM
Regan or George W.

I'd avoid shooting with dick cheney

Jaybird78
March 15, 2011, 10:04 AM
Teddy Roosevelt for the WIN!

Ben86
March 15, 2011, 02:23 PM
I'd avoid shooting with dick cheney

I was waiting for someone to say that.

I went fishing once with a friend of my Uncle's, who was a millionaire, but he stiffed me for bait. I figured thats how he got to be rich.

That's funny.

Pete D.
March 15, 2011, 03:06 PM
TR, of course. And "old rough and ready" Zachary Taylor.

Pete

McCall911
March 15, 2011, 03:19 PM
Either George H.W. or George W.

AirForceShooter
March 15, 2011, 03:20 PM
I'd pick Jefferson
Party kind of guy

AFS

thorn726
March 15, 2011, 05:04 PM
That would be Theo Roosevelt, to be sure. Grand naval exercises were one of his favorite office perks. thanks SAm!, TR was high on my list anyway, after shelling a coast, we could go hunt an elephant//

J_McLeod
March 15, 2011, 05:47 PM
This is off topic, but if you read the book you'll find out.
It's a good book.

VancMike
March 15, 2011, 06:23 PM
I admire TR very much, have read his books, but agree with those who suggest that there wouldn't be much conversation....think it would be hard to break into Teddy's soliloquies.....which would be interesting, of course.

So I'd pick R. Reagan....it's said that if Nancy liked you, you could hang around with him & I'd be flattered to pass her test.

Or...US Grant. Very nice man, probably needed a chance to blow off a little steam and get away from it all.....

Ala Dan
March 15, 2011, 09:06 PM
My vote goes to our 16th President, The Honorable Abraham Lincoln~! :)

Reason, I studied a lot a'bout his life in HS and college; besides, "Honest
Abe" is my favorite President~! ;)

My 2nd place vote goes to the Honorable Andrew Jackson, the 7th President
of the United States Of America.

lizziedog1
March 15, 2011, 09:58 PM
Jimmy Carter in case we run into crazed, attack rabbits.:D

wankerjake
March 15, 2011, 10:10 PM
Teddy

clance
March 15, 2011, 10:29 PM
I think I would like to have a day of trap (morning) and fishing (afternoon) with Anderw Johnson as it was he and not Lincoln that started the country down the road towards healing after the War Between the States. I would like to know what was on his mind at the time and ask him would he do anything different, now that he has seen what this country has become?

CZguy
March 15, 2011, 10:35 PM
Jimmy Carter in case we run into crazed, attack rabbits.

For those of us who are a little slower.........could you expand on that.

Animal Mother
March 15, 2011, 10:43 PM
CZguy, see the link below, in short, Jimmy Carter was attacked by a rabbit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_rabbit_incident

hso
March 15, 2011, 10:47 PM
Thomas Jefferson or our current president.

dec41971
March 16, 2011, 12:10 AM

Call me crazy but I am with you too. I think the stereo types of gun owners and gun grabbers might use a few nuanced friendly discussions. One thing I will also say and probably get banned for is, as much as we hear about him wanting to take our guns, I'll bet you he really doesn't care that much one way or the other just being the politician he is. :evil: And I am not running and hiding my guns and I don't care who knows either. Last I checked this was still a free country. :uhoh:

George W second in line. And ask him to bring an AR or M4, and under no circumstance is he to invite his veep Dick Cheney! :D

Sommerled
March 16, 2011, 12:29 AM
Washington. So I could thank him for refusing to be proclaimed King! Thus setting the tone for the future of our freedom. I think popping muskmelons at 400 yds with my 22-250 would warm him right up!

MarkDozier
March 16, 2011, 02:55 AM
If You Could Shoot WITH Any President
CHARLTON HESTON - former President of the NRA

CZguy
March 16, 2011, 06:15 AM
Animal Mother

CZguy, see the link below, in short, Jimmy Carter was attacked by a rabbit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_C...abbit_incident

You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info Animal Mother.

bbuddtec
March 16, 2011, 10:52 AM
I thought Jefferson, but I'd prefer to shoot with JFK, off the deck of a ship :)

Dravur
March 16, 2011, 12:46 PM
Taft,

He would make me look skinny...

lemosley01
March 16, 2011, 12:49 PM
Andrew Jackson.

northwoods99
March 16, 2011, 12:57 PM
Definately Teddy but either one of the Bush's work work for me also.

rajb123
March 16, 2011, 01:10 PM
JFK; I could teach him about how much damage the 1964 gun control laws have done to the 2nd Amedment and our country.

My second choice would be Charlton Heston. He was a great president.

harmon rabb
March 16, 2011, 02:51 PM
Obama. Maybe it would open his mind a little on the topic.

Manco
March 16, 2011, 03:19 PM

Yeah, he's extremely articulate and well read for somebody who evidently harbors so much prejudice against others. I'd sure like an opportunity to see what he's really all about, and find out what can be done to broaden his views. ;)

WildBill63
March 16, 2011, 03:34 PM
I'd like to quail hunt in south Georgia with Eisenhower, or a safari with TR.

Thlax
March 16, 2011, 04:09 PM
GW, Jefferson, or Abe!

BigDaddyNEB
March 16, 2011, 04:50 PM
Andrew Jackson
Read up on his biography.
One mean S.O.B. and he liked to duel

THE DARK KNIGHT
March 16, 2011, 04:57 PM
JFK; I could teach him about how much damage the 1964 gun control laws have done to the 2nd Amedment and our country.

The 1968 GCA was passed five years after Kennedy's assassination in 1963. He had absolutely nothing to do with it.

justin 561
March 16, 2011, 05:43 PM
VP's too? 'Cause Dick Cheney might be fun to shoot with

Yeah, Just make sure you aren't the one setting the target..

But I also too would pick Dubya, why? I'm sure he knows some great hunting spots, as long as old man cheney is NOT armed.

klutchless
March 16, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm with justin561 I say VP cheney but first to hunter education.other than that I say washington imagine the apilachian mountains without all the roads or people that would be spectacular.

MacDuff
March 16, 2011, 07:45 PM
Reagan or Teddy.

XxWINxX94
March 16, 2011, 08:02 PM
Details on President Andrew Jackson's duelling for those interested:
Jackson fought 13 duels, many nominally over his wife's honor.[citation needed] Charles Dickinson, the only man Jackson ever killed in a duel, had been goaded into angering Jackson by Jackson's political opponents. In the duel, fought over a horse-racing debt and an insult to his wife on May 30, 1806, Dickinson shot Jackson in the ribs before Jackson returned the fatal shot; Jackson allowed Dickinson to shoot first, knowing him to be an excellent shot, and as his opponent reloaded, Jackson shot, even as the bullet lodged itself in his chest. The bullet that struck Jackson was so close to his heart that it could never be safely removed. Jackson had been wounded so frequently in duels that it was said he "rattled like a bag of marbles."[53] At times he coughed up blood, and he experienced considerable pain from his wounds for the rest of his life.

From Wikipedia.

Rattled like a bag of marbles
This is classic!

TexasBill
March 16, 2011, 08:04 PM
I would have to opt for President Obama. He could even bring the Missus along.

kbbailey
March 16, 2011, 09:32 PM
I would go with Thomas Jefferson. I would like to ask him about the little land purchase that he arranged, and the Corps of Discovery that he sent to explore it was nearly akin to sending a man into space.

Dstoerm
March 16, 2011, 09:52 PM
Andrew Jackson for me.

skoro
March 17, 2011, 03:21 PM
My 1st instinct was to say TR, but I see he's already overbooked.

So, I'll go with Andy Jackson. I'm sure he'd know his way around antique firearms and would very quickly appreciate modern weapons.

wishin
March 17, 2011, 05:33 PM
Teddy Roosevelt....

x_wrench
March 18, 2011, 07:17 AM
T.R. and Ronald Regan. the vast majority of the ones in between do nothing for me. and all the ones that have come after Ronald Regan, are not worth the price of a primer.

NMGonzo
March 18, 2011, 08:10 AM
I would like to go shooting with Juan Carlos I, actual King of Spain.

But I would want to go in the past to the day he shot his brother and see if it was really an accident.

Otis is DaMan
March 18, 2011, 06:24 PM
Our current leader. He has been challenged, according to lore from around the planet, to exactly such a duel with AK-47s by Mullah Omar of the Taliban. :neener:

Balrog
March 18, 2011, 07:43 PM

You must have gone to public skoolz.

jiminhobesound
March 18, 2011, 08:52 PM
TR, Woodrow and FDR and I would try to convince them not to implement the liberal socialist concepts that have ruined the country. Don't believe that? Study what they did and advocated. They were all near socialist liberals and liberals are the natural enemy of gun owners.

Remo223
March 18, 2011, 09:15 PM
Well, Andy Jackson was in a pistol duel, so I pick him.

After he recuperated from his duel I would give him a matched pair of Colt Paterson revolvers with extra cylinders and tell him it's the future of american firearms.

GoingQuiet
March 19, 2011, 12:35 AM
Just a fun little hypothetical question for a rainy Monday. If you could go shooting WITH any United States President in history, who would you pick?

Feel free to explain the reason.

Personally, I would love to go on a safari with Theodore Roosevelt BUT I would probably pick Ronald Reagan.

The reason being, I would take him to a "machine gun shoot" and hopefully after enjoying himself he would not have signed the bill closing the NFA registry. If he still signed it, I'd be a little surprised and disappointed BUT I still would have gotten to spend the afternoon with one of our greatest Presidents. After all, no human is perfect.

Who would you pick? (Please let's keep this up to THR standards and not have any talks about "accidently shooting" one of our Presidents.)
TR. The man went on Safari, therefore: He's awesome.

millertyme
March 19, 2011, 03:05 PM
Obama and/or Clinton. Morons need to find learn that guns are not inherently dangerous and that guns do not cause crime. I will personally load my weapon, chamber a round and leave it on the table for as long as it takes to prove that even with the weapon locked and loaded, without the safety on, it did not hurt anyone and it did not cause me to commit any crimes.

chanroc
March 19, 2011, 05:38 PM
Teddy Roosevelt - Would probably teach me a few tricks.

George W. Bush - Guessing he would be the most fun.

Obama - To show that shooting can be a good, safe sport.

Runner up - Eisenhower, just so I could get some cool WWII stories.

whalerman
March 19, 2011, 05:47 PM
My first reaction would be to go with Mr Reagan. I feel as if I actually knew that man. He was one of us. But the opportunity to go back to the beginning, and shoot with George Washington would be incredible. I'm sure the man would be deeply disappointed with what we've done.

Rico567
March 19, 2011, 06:12 PM
Well, old Tom Jefferson wasn't much of a sportsman, from everything I've read, but he's my favorite president, so I'd try to talk him into a walk in those Virginia woods....

rm23
March 19, 2011, 07:32 PM
Obama, but only if he used "the liberal gun."

mgregg85
March 19, 2011, 07:36 PM
This one is easy for me, Theodore Roosevelt, hands down the best president of the 20th century and one of the top 10 overall.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/TR_Assissination_Bullet_Damage.jpg
The man got shot, bullet went through his speech notes and lodged in his chest. He went on to speak for 90 minutes before seeking any medical attention. This is how he started his speech...
"Ladies and gentlemen, I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose."

I can't imagine the stories he could tell, the experiences he could share.

rogertc1
March 20, 2011, 12:06 AM
Teddy Roosevelt

x1wildone
March 20, 2011, 12:20 AM
I'm with AKElroy on this one, Obama would be my choice, and I would be wearing my birth certificate proudly on my back.

DC3-CVN-72
March 20, 2011, 02:54 PM
I would LUV to go shooting with Ronald Regan. Best president in my life time. Beating the U.S.S.R. in to submishion takes a real man ! " Tear down this wall. " I would also like Pope John Paul II with us. :)

gym
March 20, 2011, 05:04 PM
None of them, think it would be boring as hell. what makes you think they would even talk to you. And if so you would have to be a time traveller to do this, and they would be like talking to an alien. It's not a movie made for tv I assume. The conditions of this "meeting" would need to be made clearer.Is it like "meet Joe Black"?

If you enjoyed reading about "If You Could Shoot WITH Any President" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!