1-point sling carry

PDA

batjka
March 14, 2011, 12:20 PM
Watched "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" the other day. Definitely one of my favorite movies. The Ugly was carrying his revolver not in a holster, but on a one-point sling connected to a ring fastened to the butt of the revolver. Seems to me that this would be a more convenient way of carrying, especially that it allows for using the sling as a sort of a "stock" to steady aim. Plus, it takes the weight off the belt.

Co-incidentally, I found this video, which confirms my statements above:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/video/454/slings-hunting-revolvers

Has anyone here used this kind of carry while afield?

If you enjoyed reading about "1-point sling carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Loosenock
March 14, 2011, 01:51 PM
I've used one. And as the vid shows it does help when actually shooting your handgun.

My dislike about it: Your handgun bangs around on your body. You will still have have to "carry" it or it will beat you to death. Also, if you bend down to do something you again have to hold onto you gun or it will swing out and be right in the way. These are just my comments with my own experiences. Others opinions will vary.

You'll notice in the vid that you never see Dick walking with it and both hands free.

'Loosenock

arcticap
March 14, 2011, 02:21 PM
The video illustrated how much more stable the pistol is when shooting it using the sling.
Since there's two purposes for the sling, maybe carrying it in a bandolier holster with the sling attached would be another option worth considering.
Letting it hang at the hunter's side would allow it to be brought to aim quicker than if it was holstered.
But if willing to sacrifice the time it takes to unholster it then a holster and sling could still be used together for the sake of comfort.
They're not mutually exclusive.

If you enjoyed reading about "1-point sling carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!