Duracoat black powder firearms?

PDA

greenr18
March 14, 2011, 02:14 PM
With the intent of adding extra corrosion resistance to the firearm, would duracoating a black powder firearm be a good idea or a bad idea?

If you enjoyed reading about "Duracoat black powder firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
arcticap
March 14, 2011, 02:56 PM
AFAIK no one has mentioned trying it on a black powder revolver that emits high heat and flame.

But there are different types of Duracoat, each having a different temperature resistance.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5534723&postcount=16

Using the right one should help to prevent corrosion but learning all about how much to apply and where would be somewhat of an experiment. :)

junkman_01
March 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
I think it would be a blasphemy and you would wind up hell!

greenr18
March 14, 2011, 03:42 PM

It's cool, I'm goin' there anyways ;)

JNewell
March 14, 2011, 07:38 PM

Unclear...how 'bout stainless? Should rate about the same.

junkman_01
March 14, 2011, 07:51 PM
The OP said nothing about stainless steel. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/others/jesus-166.gif

JNewell
March 14, 2011, 08:36 PM
He didn't ask for directions to Hell, either...

OP: the question about flame/temp is a good one. The people at LCW are extraordinarily helpful - give them a call and ask.

junkman_01
March 14, 2011, 08:47 PM
He asked if it would be a good idea. He got an aswer! :evil::fire::cuss:

BHP FAN
March 14, 2011, 09:06 PM
+ 1 Junkman!

Hellgate
March 15, 2011, 12:44 AM
With a couple of SS Euro Remington NMAs I guess I go to hell and get to meet all my friends (who are probably guilty of just as many sins). ;>

Bluehawk
March 15, 2011, 04:22 AM
Anyone know what Pietta's Millenium finish was?

arcticap
March 15, 2011, 07:04 AM
I believe that it was hot chemical blue that was applied over an unpolished or bead blasted surface to save on the cost of polishing the steel. It produced a matte finish similar to a Remington 870 express.

Moptop
March 15, 2011, 01:12 PM
I believe that it was hot chemical blue that was applied over an unpolished or bead blasted surface to save on the cost of polishing the steel. It produced a matte finish similar to a Remington 870 express.

Yes, but much rougher looking, almost black. My two have a fair amount of machine/casting marks in the frame. It's very easy to clean though.

Hellgate
March 15, 2011, 03:12 PM
I like the Uberti Milleniums because there's no glare when shooting in the bright sun and the matte surface holds a nice coating of oil for storage.

Jaymo
March 18, 2011, 01:28 AM
I don't see where BP flame temps would be a problem, since DC is used on smokeless powder guns.
I've thought about parkerizing some of my BP guns, then applying DC over the park.
Maybe I should do it to my CVA Colonial pistol. It can be my guinea pig.
It should give excellent protection and be easy to clean.

If you enjoyed reading about "Duracoat black powder firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!