Ray's Sport Shop archives?

PDA

vinnimac
March 17, 2011, 12:56 AM
I recieved some good, and bad news today. Found out that the Colt Python 2 1/2" I bought actually is a 1963 model, but that it was sold through Ray's in NJ, that apparently closed up in '09. I would really like to track down as much info I can on the gun, so if anyone knows how to contact whomever would have the store records (if anyone) from October, 1963; I would most appreciate letting me know how, or let themknow I am interested, and point them my way. Thank you much, Vince

If you enjoyed reading about "Ray's Sport Shop archives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
UpTheHill
March 17, 2011, 08:12 AM
if they closed, then all records got sent to the BATFE.

GRIZ22
March 17, 2011, 10:31 PM
I would really like to track down as much info I can on the gun, so if anyone knows how to contact whomever would have the store records (if anyone) from October, 1963

All the records on hand when the store closed would have gone to ATF and is stored somewhere next to the Ark of the Covenant.

The bad news is the records you are seeking have undoubtedly been destroyed. Ray's was in a different location in 1963. IIRC it was the early 70s or late 60s there was a fire at the store and with the ammo and powder cooking off it just burned to the ground literally. Everything was lost. That's what happened to any records of your gun. After the fire Ray reopened on the other side of Rte 22.

bushmaster1313
March 17, 2011, 10:48 PM
You could try a Freedom of Information Act Request to BATF:

http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/

yeti
March 17, 2011, 10:59 PM

To get what? There might be some state papers floating around in some Trenton basement but a gun from 1963 has no federal trail.

GRIZ22
March 18, 2011, 10:09 AM

Which would get you nada as any paperwork maintained by Ray's in 1963 undoubtedly was consumed by the fire.

There might be some state papers floating around in some Trenton basement but a gun from 1963 has no federal trail.

I am not sure what the system was in NJ for buying a handgun in 1963 but the present system (purchase permit, etc) went into effect in 1965 or 1966. There most likely is no trail of state paperwork from that era.

xXxplosive
March 18, 2011, 12:15 PM
You can try and track down Dave Unis....who ran the store back from the '70s.....one of Ray's son N laws.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ray's Sport Shop archives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!