Remington Zouave, 58 cal.

PDA

hawk4570
March 17, 2011, 12:27 PM
I have bought a Zouave repo (Armi Jager), It may get here today and I would like all the Info I mite be able to get on it. Best ammo and where to get it, Range, best powder to use, Best caps, What acessories I will need Anything anyone can tell me. I have not shoot BP for 20 years. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Zouave, 58 cal." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PapaG
March 17, 2011, 12:58 PM
You can shoot the minies in it with about sixty grains of FFg but I've found that the twist of these things is perfect for round balls. I set a record at Friendship way back in the late sixties using a .570 round ball, linen patch, and sixty five grains of FFFg powder. I remember using an .070 20 gauge card wad over the powder and our old moose milk lube/solvent on the patch.
Minies, unless cast really soft, and used with good quality powder tend to expand the base erratically. Too much powder and the base can blow out, too little and they don't seal.
My favorite minie is the Lyman semiwadcutter target one...has worked in three of the Zouave replicas as well as my Big Boar TC.
Some guns really like the minie. My best was a Centennial Arms that I retrofitted with the Numrich seven groove barrel.
Present one is one of the "original" imports from the mid sixties, Hy Hunter, taper bored barrel (about .0015 choke) and the "Remington" marking on the lockplate "Xed" out.
Good luck.
Also, with the Numrich barreled gun, I used to shoot a few bench rest matches and do quite well, having a Lyman aperture and Redfield receiver sight I could mount on homemade adapters.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Zouave, 58 cal." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!