Colt Dragoon Model three

PDA

yaj ahsoap
March 18, 2011, 07:05 PM
Just ordered a Colt Dragoon Model three reproduction from Uberti. Some of you have responded to my previous posts and I sincerely thank you for the valuable info. I am now constructing a detailed list of those items and materials I will need to successfully fire this handgun. Please feel free to help me with my list.

Yaj:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Dragoon Model three" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oyeboten
March 19, 2011, 04:21 AM
Hi yaj,

Well, I think you have made a fine choice in Revolvers.

As for me, I found a very stout, well made, older Steel Case originally used for housing a Sawzall of some make or other, and, it has been splendid as a Range Case for when I shoot my Dragoon or other Cap & Ball Revolvers.

Accoutremon, what I myself have, are...

Store Bought or Mail-Order Lead Balls of .457 Diameter.

And, a few Bullet Moulds of .454 for making various shape Bullets or Balls at Home, of pure Lead.

Small Tins of 'Remington No. 10' Caps.

Powder Flask, larger size of a conventional Re-Production sort, with a medley of Spouts which screw into it, for alloting various size Charges.

Powder - such as 'GOEX' 3F, or, Swiss ( or both ).

Lube Wafers - which I make at Home, which go between Powder and Ball. ( These are bore diameter 'discs' cut from strips of Paper Towel, after it has bene dipped in Molten Bee's Wax and a little Olive Oil, once cool, it is fast and easy to cut out the 'Wafers' usng a Gasket or Wad Punch, and have them in a small Tin or other for future use.)

Probably, the Remington No. 10 Caps will fit your Uberti 3rd Dragoon perfectly.

It is very important that the Caps do fit perfectly for several reasons.

Similarly, it is best if the Balls are just enough over-size, for there to be a tidy little 'ring' of Lead shaved off, when they are loaded and pressed into the Cylinder Bores, thus ensuring a good fit, no creep, and no way for any flash to come in around them.

Right fitting Caps, and, right fitting Balls or Bullets/Boolits, will prevent the discomforts of simultaneous discharge or chain fires, form flash getting around Caps or around the Ball or Bullet.

I use the tip of my Thumb to apply the Caps, and, if cold out this does hurt a little, but, a small Wooden flat ended Stick can serve well for getting the Caps seated all the way on, once started well with the Thumb tip.

So -

Powder and Flask

Balls/Bullets

Caps

Lube Wafers

Some sort of Sachel or Gladstone or Valise or other Case to carry it all in.

StrawHat
March 19, 2011, 07:34 AM
Powder, ball, lube and caps will get you started.

Then you need a box to keep it all together. I have seen everything from gorgeous handcrafted cases to tackle boxes used and the owners all have been satisfied.

Cleaning gear? An appropriatley sized dowel with a jag cut into it or attached, patching material, and a bucket of soapy water (hot or cold) will get you where you need to be. A good protective oil will complete the cleaning.

These are just the very basics and others will come along to recommend things like cappers, new nipples, special lubes, etc. but to get started you need the basics and the rest you will figure out for yourself.

gilgsn
March 19, 2011, 08:41 AM
Hi, What I found to be very useful is a can of Crisco shortening to put over the balls.. It's clean, and works great, much cheaper than using lubricated wads.. See my blog all I used to shoot my 1858 Army http://keskydee.com/wordpress

Gil.

Oblofusc
March 19, 2011, 07:52 PM
I Lliked the look of the squared trigger guard, otherwise is the same as the 3rd (unless I have them backwards).

I had to make a taller front sight as it shot breal high for me. I also filed its tip a little left--now it shoots DEAD ON at 20 yds. I use Hornady .457 balls which shave a nice ring on loading and 35 gns Goex 3f. I seat a wonder wad over powder, nothing in front of ball. I juice up the wads with extra Bore Butter too.

GREAT GUN. I sold all my other BP revolvers and now have just this one. Looks good, shoots good.

Jaymo
March 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
The Colt dragoon is on my short list. I want a 2d or 3d model. I just wish it had a cylinder as long as the Walker. I'd really like to cram 50 grain into a chamber with a Lee REAL ullet on top. Talk about power.

ClemBert
March 20, 2011, 10:32 AM
What a great BP revolver choice. Congrats. I need to get myself a 2nd Model sooner than later. With regards to knickknacks to get....

Everything in this photo (especially the badge :D). Lemme know if you don't recognized anything.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/SyberTiger/Firearms/BPSupplies002.jpg

72coupe
March 20, 2011, 10:33 AM
I have a Uberti 3rd Model and much prefer it to the second Model. That square back trigger guard, although it looks great, raps you in the nuckles evertime you shoot it. The round trigger graurd does not do that... as much.

Calibre44
March 20, 2011, 02:33 PM
I was shooting my 2nd Model only yesterday. You won't regreat your choice ... wonderful gun!
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/woodsy_2008/Guns/Drag1.jpg
On a full load:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/woodsy_2008/Guns/misc4042.jpg
'Bits and bobs'
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/woodsy_2008/Guns/misc4027.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Dragoon Model three" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!