Too pretty to shoot?

PDA

ProtoformX
March 18, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hey. I'm looking at getting into CAS. Looking at this matched pair of revolvers. Would YOU consider these to be too pretty to shoot?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Too pretty to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
25cschaefer
March 18, 2011, 09:46 PM
No such thing.
Those are pretty.

J-Bar
March 18, 2011, 09:56 PM
Beautiful. Shoot the hell out of 'em!!

ProtoformX
March 18, 2011, 09:57 PM
I'm not gonna lie. Those are the answers I was hoping to hear. >:]

belercous
March 18, 2011, 09:59 PM
I don't see the point in owning a gun and not shooting it. Kinda defeats the purpose of having it.

Beautiful machines, they hurt my wallet just looking at them.

ProtoformX
March 18, 2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Silly question for those in the know... Are Over/Under's permitted in CAS? Or just Side by Side?

AlexanderA
March 18, 2011, 10:30 PM
I disagree that shooting a gun is the only reason for owning it. For example, if you own 100 guns or more, it becomes impractical to shoot them all. Why own them? For the joy of collecting them, and for the investment.

If you're primarily a collector (as I am), shooting a gun unavoidably detracts from its condition, and therefore from its value. Don't get me wrong -- I want every gun in my collection to be shootable. But that doesn't mean that each one necessarily has to be shot.

Furthermore, shooting guns means cleaning them (especially if you're shooting black powder). At my age, I don't find the chore of cleaning guns to be fun.

SundownRider
March 18, 2011, 10:40 PM
Why would you bring the prettiest girl in town to the prom if you weren't going to dance with her?

Just sayin'.

TimberWolf7.62
March 18, 2011, 10:43 PM
Personally, I buy tools, not decorations.

LHRGunslinger
March 18, 2011, 10:47 PM
Too....pretty...to....shoot? *brains ooze out of ears*

AIN'T NOTHIN TOO PRETTY TO SHOOT!

kingpin008
March 18, 2011, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I'm with the others - I don't buy guns just to look at. They may be art pieces, but if I own them, they had better be functional art pieces. If your budget allows such a thing and you feel like doing so, go for it - but I don't see the point.

bigalexe
March 18, 2011, 11:26 PM
AIN'T NOTHIN TOO PRETTY TO SHOOT!
Except whoever you happen to be dating at the time!

But I digress... that's a nice lookin pair.

redbullitt
March 19, 2011, 12:05 AM
Shoot! Pretty and shoots? sounds like a heck of a deal to me lol.

B yond
March 19, 2011, 12:10 AM
Too pretty to shoot?

That's like saying a beautiful woman is too pretty to- well, this is thehighroad so I'm not going to finish that statement.

They're so pretty you should shoot them every chance you get.

nwilliams
March 19, 2011, 12:10 AM
You can shoot a gun and still keep it pretty, just handle it carefully and don't carry it in a holster and it will stay in good cosmetic condition.

orionengnr
March 19, 2011, 12:16 AM
Kind of like owning a car too pretty to drive, or marrying a girl too pretty to...ah, you get the idea. :)

Ky Larry
March 19, 2011, 12:23 AM
If you were married to Miss America would you have seperate bedrooms?:scrutiny:

ProtoformX
March 19, 2011, 12:33 AM
@nwilliams

Ah, but if I used these for CAS, holster use would verily come in to play...

Gromky
March 19, 2011, 03:16 AM
If you were married to Miss America would you have seperate bedrooms?

Couldn't be married to her. All sorts of clauses about not being married, how pure she must be, and such. They wouldn't want to imply intimacy is ok. Plus, she's probably a complete airhead and I'd probably like the separate bedroom, and TV, and perhaps house. I might want certain times together, but...

I can understand having a firearm you don't shoot, just because of the historical value and collectable nature. Firing it, if you can prevent damage, probably isn't a big deal though.

J-Bar
March 19, 2011, 08:40 AM
No over-unders in CAS. Side-by-side doubles, either 1 or 2 triggers and with or without external hammers are ok; model '97 pumps, and model '87 lever actions are ok too. Most clubs also permit single shots as long as they are not trap guns with vent ribs...gotta look like something a sodbuster or sidekick would use.

lizziedog1
March 19, 2011, 08:44 AM
If you were married to Miss America would you have seperate bedrooms?

Dpends? Is she progun or antigun?:D

Standing Wolf
March 19, 2011, 01:34 PM
Pretty guns shoot better. I didn't say a word about pretty women.

Liberty1776
March 19, 2011, 05:01 PM
them thar 'r purty guns. bet they shoot real nice. You be sure to let us all know, now.

Ole Coot
March 19, 2011, 07:02 PM
I would admire them, show them off. Take them out back and shoot the dickens out of them. Guns are meant to be shot first, admired second.

ProtoformX
March 19, 2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback, and answers. I did end up bidding on, and winning them. I'll bring this thread back from the dead when I get my hands on em. ;)

ms6852
March 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
It would be ashamed not to shoot them. Just like have a pretty girl friend and not wanting to kiss her.......

Tim the student
March 21, 2011, 02:04 PM
Personally, I wouldn't consider them to be too pretty to shoot.

heron
March 21, 2011, 11:25 PM
Go get some nice tooled leather with silver buckles to match, and shoot 'em 'till you get tired of it.

ProtoformX
March 23, 2011, 04:57 PM
^^ So... Shoot em till I break them, or they break me. Right? ;)

Grayrock
March 23, 2011, 05:08 PM
The fancier your guns, the better you're expected to shoot! :neener:

Grayrock
March 23, 2011, 05:11 PM
Laser etched? What caliber? 5" barrels work well for me. Are they tuned?

gym
March 23, 2011, 05:14 PM
No, they are made to be shot

mljdeckard
March 23, 2011, 05:19 PM
I've known guys with guns they didn't shoot, some of them made sense, some made me scratch my head. The commemorative theme guns used to be a really big deal, so people would buy them box them, and wait for the price to go up. The thing is, like anything else that is collectible, it's hard to make something with the INTENT for it to become more valuable over time. Things usually become collectible because of something that happened LATER.

Collecting them to invest makes sense, but you would have to know what you are doing a lot better than I do. when I was a kid, I had a guy show me a pretty engraved Remington autoloader he bought because he wanted a pretty gun he wanted to take out and shoot. But, as time went on, he just couldn't bring himself to shoot it. Like the scene in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" where Michael Caine is walking Steve Martin through the wine cellar, showing off his wines that are fantastic.

"Great, let's drink some!"

"I can't drink them, they're far too valuable."

"So, sell them."

"I can't sell them, they mean far too much to me."

I don't get it either. I just ordered a commemorative Para for my unit's deployment, and I'm going to make it my main competition gun. I'll stop shooting it. When it's completely worn out. :)

redneck2
March 23, 2011, 05:21 PM
I would personally never own a gun that I wouldn't shoot. That said, is it smart to buy a $2,500 (or whatever) gun and beat it up?

I'd buy something that's adequate for the task, not something that will lose 50% of it's value the first few times you use it. You can get a plain Jane that will do the same thing and lose a lot less money. CAS guns get beat up by the nature of the game.

YMMV

Shoot The Moon
March 23, 2011, 05:33 PM
Agree with the 'guns are for shooting' perspective - however, I'd seek out a really good gunsmith before even cycling the hammers, just to ensure correct timing/bolt drop. That way you'll minimise (maybe even prevent) marring of the cylinders.

Just my 2 cents..... :D

ProtoformX
March 23, 2011, 10:26 PM
@ Grayrock: I am not certain as to the engraving. They are .45LC's. And again, not certain. I'll definitely give them a thorough once over before I start to play with them.

Buck Nekkid
March 23, 2011, 11:58 PM
If they were hand engraved Colts, I might consider keepin' 'em pristine, but laser etched Baretta's (actually Uberti's) I'd shoot 'em until they fall apart.

ProtoformX
April 2, 2011, 02:32 PM
Shot one. Love it. My brother's exact reaction to the first shot was "Whoa."

My first SAA, so... Any cleaning tips? Any special considerations I need to take regarding maintainance? Thanks in advance.

BigN
April 2, 2011, 03:30 PM
Guns are for shootin' It's a bonus that you just happen to have one that is pretty too.

RimfireChris
April 2, 2011, 03:39 PM
looks like ya gotta nice set there, shoot 'em up. The only guns I wouldn't consider shooting are the ones that ammo is too hard to obtain regularly. .25 rimfire comes to mind. I almost tried to find me one of the NAA ranger mini revolvers to collect, seeing as they're not gonna make any more of them, but I couldn't justify that kinda $$ on something I'm never gonna shoot.

KevininPa
April 2, 2011, 04:07 PM
Same here. That's why I only take out a couple at a time now instead of a whole bunch. Sometimes only one. Found out I save on ammo and components this way as well.

Phydeaux642
April 3, 2011, 06:39 PM
Apparently there are no knife collectors here. I personally don't collect knives , but I do know that there are knives that one would be foolish to carry, use and sharpen as it detracts from their collector value. However, they are your guns and if you want to shoot them then shoot them. I don't collect guns either, even though I have some that I don't shoot. It's not that I wouldn't shoot them, it's just that I haven't got around to it yet, and might not get around to it for some time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Too pretty to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!