Broomhandle Mauser (pics)

PDA

forindooruseonly
March 19, 2011, 04:04 AM
So, due to the weather being crappy and not being able to go outside to take some photographs, I played around with shooting photos of some guns to stave off the boredom.

This gun defined cool for me as a kid. It was old, it had a combat history, and it came with a holster that turned into a buttstock! It blew my mind as a 8 year old, and to add icing to the cake, Han Solo's blaster had been based off of it (He was the only Star Wars character I liked). I loved shooting it as a kid when I managed to talk my dad into taking it out.

20 some-odd years later - its mine now, gifted to me for my birthday years ago. I also know now it has terrible sights, fails to function on a regular basis, is a pain in the butt to load, and doesn't even come close to being practical - but somehow its still insanely cool. I mean, just look at it!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/Forindooruseonly/Again10.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/Forindooruseonly/Again14.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/Forindooruseonly/Again15.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Broomhandle Mauser (pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
content
March 19, 2011, 07:08 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // Cooler still to have shot it with your Dad.

It looks to be in great shape, the collectors collectible. Do you know the year of manuf?

Mine is an 1898 Variation ,the first year for the shoulder stock/holster, 7.63 cal., manuf in 1911.

I had wanted one since the movie Joe Kidd came out.
Cool is right, most of the handguns used in the film were SA revolvers and here is a guy with a 10 shot semiauto pistol/rifle ,wow. Had to have one, it just took 40 years for the right time.

They are fun to load at tiimes. Hard to look cool like Han, also my favorite, fumbling with a Broomhandle and a stripperclip.
Every now and then I get it exactly right, the rounds slip easily into place, leaving me more frustrated.

The 7.63 seems stout for a firearm manuf. before heat treating became part of the process. I love the blossom of flame but worry about breaking the old warrior. It came with the original bolt missing a corner and now sports a replacement.

The Broom Handle, M1 Carbine and SW 29 are forcing me to get back into reloading. Just too fun to shoot again and again and again.

Patriotme
March 19, 2011, 08:15 AM
I don't know why but I have always wanted a Broomhandle Mauser. It's just something about the looks.

forindooruseonly
March 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
It looks to be in great shape, the collectors collectible. Do you know the year of manuf?

If I remember, all the "red nine" 9mm variations like this were part of a 1916 contract by the German Army, as the Luger couldn't be produced fast enough at that point in WWI.

I hear you about the wear and tear, I don't shoot mine very often, and use powder puff loads when I do. That's probably part of my malfunctioning issues, but I don't want to run anything stouter through it.

That's a great looking setup, content. Is that case a factory option or something you had made?

CZguy
March 19, 2011, 10:50 AM
Both of those old Mauser's are beautiful.

If they were mine I would shoot them often. But I would put new springs in them.

content
March 19, 2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks, the carry case came from my local GS with a box of ammo.

They had sold a C96 years before and forgotten about the case, until I showed up looking for some 7.63. Low and behold when we opened the case it held a full box of Fiochhi.

The seller also included a wooden case, with this same interior, when I purchased it on Gun Broker. It looks like a silverware box set until you open it, always good for a smile from my shooting friends.

The only ammo I have is Fiochhi.
I have shot one of the three boxes without any problems and outstanding accuracy.
I have the bullets(bought at a yard sale) and kept the brass so I may go your route and go with lighter loads the next time out.

CZguy --new "lighter" springs for lighter loads?

CZguy
March 19, 2011, 11:56 PM
CZguy --new "lighter" springs for lighter loads?

That would make sense to me, but I have no experience with that concept. So I need to defer to the experts at Wolff Springs. I would give them a call. Let us know what you wind up doing please.

38 Super Fan
March 20, 2011, 01:12 AM
Very nice. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Broomhandle Mauser (pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!