Spare Magazine or Knife?

PDA

Yo Mama
March 19, 2011, 10:16 AM
For a long time I've carried a gun and knife combo with a folder cliped to my pocket. Usually I carry a spare mag, but then I bought a new Swiss Army knife.

Lately, it seems that the extra knife has been handy, and I like having it, but don't want to add an extra mag when I have it with me.

Being that depending on the weapon I have 8-10 rounds of .45, which would you perfer, a spare mag in the pocket, or a spare knife?

If you enjoyed reading about "Spare Magazine or Knife?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
atlctyslkr
March 19, 2011, 10:19 AM
Probably the mag eventhough I know my chances of needed it are much less than the knife.

clance
March 19, 2011, 10:25 AM
Is there a reason why you don't carry an extra mag in a mag pouch on your belt?

I personally carry 2 knifes (utility + fighter) one is in the one pocket the other hooks onto the opening to the pocket and a spare mag on the belt.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy135/stmichps/DailyCarry.jpg

The pistol I wear inside the waist band of my slacks (no holster) while I hook the pouch on the belt or in the left pocket of my jacket/vest. I've seen something like a Uncle Mike's for the mag that you can fit inside the waste band as well, but I can't seem to find one that fits my Kahr mag.

But to answer your question on which one I would choose, I persoanlly prefer the knife if I had to choose.

Doug Add
March 19, 2011, 01:07 PM
Are you opposed to belt carry? I carry both a spare mag for my SIG P228 and a Swiss Army Knife. You can see them here on my left hip just behind the holster for my BlackBerry (with which I took the photo). The SAK is very useful, and I rarely leave home without it, but I could never carry it in my pocket. I don't even like to carry pocket change. I guess if I had to choose I would pick the SAK, because I use it regularly and (thank God) have never yet had to use my carry gun.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p48/DougAdd/SAK1.jpg

Owen Sparks
March 19, 2011, 01:37 PM
A knife can save your life in other ways than stabing bad guys especially if you work around heavy machinery. Your chances of having to cut something in an emergency like your clothing are at least as good as your chances of having to use it as a weapon. I once had to cut a dog leash in an emergency because a neighbors dog had climbed onto his dog house and then jumped a 6' fence and was strangling. I heard screaming and found a small hysterical woman trying to hold him up so I cut him loose. I really don't know if I could have lifted this panicking 90 pound dog back over a 6' fence. If you carry a knife, carry one with serrations. It makes no difference in stabing ability but it makes all the difference in cutting ability.

rcmodel
March 19, 2011, 02:34 PM
Murphy's Law of Magazines:
1 mag = 0 mags
2 mags = 1 mag.
3 mags = 2 mags.

If a mag fails, or you lose it out of the gun in a scuffle, you have a very expensive and very inefficient little club left.

Carry the SAK knife in your pocket.

rc

hacksaw
March 19, 2011, 03:14 PM
my basic loadout is:
RIA Tactical .45acp
2 extra wilson47D's
benchmade AFo II

One-Time
March 19, 2011, 03:16 PM
if a knife makes your load weigh too much, perhaps excercise is in order? I normally carry two spares and at least one knife and im headin' toward 'fatass'

PoserHoser
March 19, 2011, 03:27 PM
carry both

BikerRN
March 19, 2011, 03:29 PM
I don't have much use for folding knives as a defensive weapon, so I'd take the spare magazine.

Even if it were a fixed blade weapon I'd opt for the spare magazine first.

BikerRN

ATBackPackin
March 19, 2011, 03:30 PM
I carry two spare magazines and a knife. If I had to choose between a knife and a spare mag I would choose the mag, especially in a low round, single stack pistol. Could be multiple assailants or a magazine breakage of some sort. Not having a knife may be an inconvenience, but I can't see a knife saving your life while carrying a pistol. That is why I carry both.

Shawn

Ringer
March 19, 2011, 05:43 PM
I always have a knife and or multi tool of various size, but more for utility not for defense. Given the choice of a spare mag or a second knife, definitely the spare mag for me.

If it came down to it I'd probably stick to open hand over a knife as I'm not well trained in knife fighting.

If you like the SAK so much, can you lose the folder instead?

Yo Mama
March 19, 2011, 05:54 PM
if a knife makes your load weigh too much, perhaps excercise is in order? I normally carry two spares and at least one knife and im headin' toward 'fatass'

I'm opposite, very skinny! :D Weight makes me think of my selections for the day. I do need to excercise though.

Doug Add, I like the holster idea, but usually I don't tuck my shirt, and want to be as low under the radar as possible.

In the end though this may be the best solution.

Erik M
March 19, 2011, 06:25 PM
I normally carry a CRKT cruiser and my glock 19. I had never taken into account the floorplate failing . . and I have a +2 after market one on my primary mag. I think I need to add a backup to the carry arrangement.

orionengnr
March 19, 2011, 06:38 PM
I find that I use my knife pretty regularly, so leaving it behind it is not an option.

hso
March 19, 2011, 06:40 PM
I don't fully understand the OP's question.

Are you asking about whether carrying a spare knife in place of a spare magazine in addition to the knife you already carry or are you asking about choosing between a knife and a spare mag?

I always have a knife whether I have a firearm or not. If I add a firearm I then have a knife and a firearm. If I have a firearm I also have a spare magazine in case I have a failure while shooting.

leadcounsel
March 19, 2011, 06:44 PM
I can carry a folder and not even know it's there clipped in my pocket. I would say carry both.

Ole Coot
March 19, 2011, 06:53 PM
Carry both. I also carry a SAK in my pocket and a SOG Flash II clipped BEHIND my belt buckle. I can reach the SOG easily with either hand and mag on weak side about 4.

Mr. Bojangles
March 20, 2011, 08:41 AM
I'm a big fan of having a good knife, although substituting it for your only spare magazine is an iffy proposition. My current favorite is a CRKT M21-14. I am able to get the knife out a little quicker than my concealed pistol. I know that there are a lot of commandos out there who will tell me that I just need more practice in drawing my pistol quickly, and, although I have practiced, I am still a little faster with the knife. I am comfortable with a knife, and I feel that if someone is within contact distance I will need that little extra bit of speed for self-defense. The pistol is still my preferred choice, though.

Ala Dan
March 20, 2011, 11:51 AM
I carry as my load out:

a) Kimber 3" stainless UC II .45 ACP
b) 2- spare Wilson mags for the above weapon
c) a Kershaw Leek folder
d) a cell phone
e) a KEL-TEC P3AT .380 (BUG)

this is my EDC set-up~! ;) :D

x_wrench
March 20, 2011, 11:55 AM
i always carry a pocket knife. i do not consider it a weapon, i consider it a tool. a spare magazine depends on many things. but if you actually end up in a gunfight, why would you bring a knife to a gunfight? we all know how that will end.i would say that 90% of the time, i have at least 1 spare magazine. probably 50% of the time, i also casrry a second gun. and 100% of the time, i have my pocket knife.

22-rimfire
March 20, 2011, 02:54 PM
I carry a Swiss Army knife (SAK) every single day regardless of whether I carry a firearm or not. I normally carry two knives. Lately I have been carrying a CRKT Razel Stubby (folder) which has come in handy a few times already. It is becoming a permanent part of my daily carry. I don't carry a knife as a weapon.

If I understand your question correctly, I would carry the knife because I use a knife every day. You can get rather small but user friendly SAKs. I have never used the carry gun for self defense. As far as spare mags go, I would sacrifice the mag over a knife. I normally carry a revolver so I don't carry mags and I don't carry a reload "on me" unless I am going into what I suspect is a dangerous environment (greater than 25% risk level), then I carry two guns and mags. In what I consider is truly dangerous situation, I pay for extra security or I don't go. But every day, NO.

Ignition Override
March 21, 2011, 04:10 AM
Owen Sparks:
Excellent application.

jpruitt
March 21, 2011, 09:05 AM
Why choose? Now you can have your knife and extra magazine:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/josephpruitt/pistolbayonet.jpg

Problem solved.

(I looked this up as a joke but apparently it's a real product (http://www.ammoland.com/2009/01/23/laserlyte-pistol-bayonet/). What possible use could this thing be?)

blume357@bellsouth.net
March 21, 2011, 09:58 AM
Surprised no one has said it yet...

Rule #9... "always carry a knife"..

knife is much more important than a gun..... 99% of the time.

Bubba613
March 21, 2011, 10:03 AM
The knife is useful for many things.
The magazine is really not useful at all. If your mag fails in a gunfight you will spend the rest of your life diagnosing the issue and fixing it.

Vern Humphrey
March 21, 2011, 10:07 AM
Being that depending on the weapon I have 8-10 rounds of .45, which would you perfer, a spare mag in the pocket, or a spare knife?
Does the phrase "Dumb enough to bring a knife to a gunfight" ring a bell?

When you run out of ammo, or your magazine packs up on you, you're in a gun fight.

quatin
March 21, 2011, 10:43 AM
How many of you even know how to use a knife? It's not easy at all, especially with folder knives. Seriously, try to pull out a folder knife and open it while someone is beating up on you (with gloves). I convinced my Krav instructor to do a couple knife classes a while back, but it quickly became evident that the learning curve was too steep to get much benefit out of it so we stopped.

I used to carry a knife, thinking I can defend myself with it, but after that I stopped. If a fight ever gets that close, I'd rather default to my kick boxing, which I practice often than try to fumble with a knife.

If it's not obvious, I would vote for the spare magazine. If you want a non-firearm backup, mace. It's not just for the girls.

22-rimfire
March 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
I agree with you about "knife fighting". It is a skill that I do not have nor do I intend to learn.

Unless you are the attacker (aka more than likely a criminal), I see little benefit of carrying a knife for self defense. It is an illusion of security for most people. A firearm is a show stopper. The fight ends quickly one way or the other. As folks say, don't bring a knife to a gun fight. The discussion is whether or not carrying extra loaded magazines is practical for normal everyday life.

I don't know anyone who claims their swiss army knife (SAK) is for self defense. It's a tool to cut things and possibly a tool for other light duty needs (screw driver, sissors, awl, tweezers, tooth pick, saw blade, etc.). I cut things with my SAK every single day and feel not completely dressed without it.

I like knives. I buy far more than I will ever need. I can see carrying a blade for self defense only in situations where firearms are stictly illegal or unavailable. Even then, for most people it is false security.

Bubba613
March 21, 2011, 12:05 PM
How many of you even know how to use a knife?

Funny. I use mine every day without much difficulty. Nor did I need an instructor to show me how to cut open boxes etc.

quatin
March 21, 2011, 01:24 PM
Funny. I use mine every day without much difficulty. Nor did I need an instructor to show me how to cut open boxes etc.

I took the topic to be in the context of self defense. If it was about cutting boxes, well it wouldn't make much sense to use a spare magazine for that.

Vern Humphrey
March 21, 2011, 01:30 PM
I took the topic to be in the context of self defense. If it was about cutting boxes, well it wouldn't make much sense to use a spare magazine for that.
I carry a knife, too -- a Swiss Army Knife. And I use if for everything from cutting up my steak, to opening letters, to cutting brairs when I get tangled in them riding through the woods.

But it isn't a weapon.

I have an Ozark Trails multitool from Wal-Mart. The case it came in holds two magazines for my M1911, and no one ever gives it a second look. So I carry my spare mags in that.

mdauben
March 22, 2011, 12:19 PM
For me, its not a question of knife or spare mag, is a question of knife or knife & spare mag. I always carry a knife. Every day. Everywhere. I would not willingly reliquish my folder, so the question is would I carry a spare mag, too.

My first response would be, yes. I would prefer to have two mags when carrying an autopistol (one in the gun, one spare). Pocket carry of my spare mag would not be my first choice, though.

kayak-man
March 22, 2011, 12:41 PM
I always carry a knife. Every day. Everywhere.

This! I try to always, and I do mean always have my knife. Lately, its been a Leatherman Supertool and a CRKT M24. I don't have my CHL yet, so I only ever holster a firearm at the range, but when I do, I can comfortably carry my gun, multitool, wallet, flashlight, spare mag, and folding knife.

I really do almost always have a knife on me. if for apearance/political correctness issues I have to shed the M24, I still ahve the leatherman, and if I have to ditch that, well, I've got a SOG Micro Fussion II in my wallet. And when I'm swimming laps, that SOG fits nicely in my suit's inside pocket.

Am I paraniod? Most likely. Do I exceed even the most tacticool mall ninja's idea of "reasonable?" Its possible. Will I ever find my self in position where I need to cut something NOW and I don't have a knife? I doubt it.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

Vern Humphrey
March 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
I would not willingly reliquish my folder, so the question is would I carry a spare mag, too.

Because if you have to use your gun, you're in a gunfight, not a knife fight.

Because a spare magazine is quicker to deploy than a folding knife.

CZ223
March 22, 2011, 01:42 PM
Kimber Tactical Pro II
2 spare 8 round mags in double mag pouch
Kershaw Blur
A second Kershaw assisted open
occasionally a LCP and spare mag in left front pocket

plus
wallet
keys
phone

mdauben
March 22, 2011, 03:07 PM
Because if you have to use your gun, you're in a gunfight, not a knife fight.

Because a spare magazine is quicker to deploy than a folding knife.
Which has nothing to do with what I posted. :rolleyes:

I did not say I would rather have a knife for self defence than a gun, I did not even said I would rather have a knife for self defence than a second magazine.

What I said was that I am going to have the knife anyway. I carry a knife every day for opening packages, cutting rope, slicing food, and any of a dozen other daily tasks.

mustang_steve
March 22, 2011, 03:19 PM
I always carry a knife, that goes without saying.

As for the spare mag, only if I'm carrying my mousegun. I might need a spare mag with it if the first seven shots don't do it. I don't carry unreliable things, so I don't factor in a magazine failure. Original equipment mags only...life is too short to use replicas.

If I'm carrying my 9mm, no extra magazine. If 10 rounds of 115gr JHP can't stop the situation, I'd be dead before I can finish the magazine anyways. I can't accurately fire off rounds on it nearly as fast as I can my mousegun.

AK103K
March 22, 2011, 03:27 PM
As for the spare mag, only if I'm carrying my mousegun. I might need a spare mag with it if the first seven shots don't do it. I don't carry unreliable things, so I don't factor in a magazine failure.
If you carry an automatic, BUG mouse guns aside, the spare mag is always factored in. It has to be. No matter how reliable you "think" things are.

Knives.... well, whoever it was it that said "knives are like credit cards, never leave home without a couple", was right. :)

22-rimfire
March 22, 2011, 03:30 PM
I think because of the membership here that the bias is toward self defense and if you mention "knife", many think self defense purposes. I also think folks just like to be argumentative. :)

What do you actually use? .... a knife. Which one makes you feel prepared? ...both.

Jeb21
March 22, 2011, 03:43 PM
Great thread guys. I always carry a knife. I do not always carry a spare mag when I am packing a pistol with ten or more rounds in it. I should carry spare ammo, but I just don't always do it.

FROGO207
March 22, 2011, 08:48 PM
Never forgotten my knife in 30 years. Forget my keys on a regular basis.:D A spare mag? Depends on the situation. If I feel the need I will add the mag while for the most part 7 rds 45 ACP is a show stopper. I feel confident about my ability to stand and deliver.:)

fatcat4620
March 22, 2011, 09:43 PM
I was taught growing up that a proper man ALWAYS had a pocket knife. ALWAYS. I dont know how many times my knife has helped out some nice cute young women.

woerm
March 23, 2011, 12:31 AM
US Army standard load out for driver/aircrews was forever,

pistol + 24 rounds in clips and 50 rounds in a pouch.

weights a ton but that apparently was what they had evolved over 100+ years of handing guns to NCO's and pilots.

It must have gone up w/the double stack europellets but I'll hang w/ my 75 or so rounds of .32

woerm

CZguy
March 23, 2011, 01:43 AM
I also think folks just like to be argumentative.

Sure, just tell me which side of the argument to take.
Makes no difference to me. :D

I was taught growing up that a proper man ALWAYS had a pocket knife. ALWAYS. I don't know how many times my knife has helped out some nice cute young women.

You were taught well, young fatcat4620.

Yo Mama
March 23, 2011, 09:36 AM
How many of you even know how to use a knife? It's not easy at all, especially with folder knives. Seriously, try to pull out a folder knife and open it while someone is beating up on you (with gloves).

:p I see this caused some discussion. My intent with a folder is utility, and then as a last form of defense. The extra knife/multitool is utility only.

My folder is pretty quick, pocket clip, takes me no longer than 2 seconds to deploy, and I've trained with a partner advancing and attacking.

BUT, my original issue was not if a folding knife is a good defensive tool. My problem is I carry to much stuff. Realistically, yes, if I was in a gun fight I would rather the extra mag, and left the multitool at home. But when I need to open a bottle, strip wire, loosen a nut, ect..... I would have rathered the multitool.

In the end I'm looking for a thin holster for the SAK, or a mag holster IWB for a double stack that won't hurt my back.

Thanks all for comments.

22-rimfire
March 23, 2011, 04:24 PM
The SAK people make some nice nylon belt pouches for their knives.

Vern Humphrey
March 23, 2011, 04:58 PM
The SAK people make some nice nylon belt pouches for their knives.
Carry your knife in your pocket and put your spare mag in the pouch.

gym
March 23, 2011, 05:11 PM
I don't like people who fight with knives, I feel they are more sadistic then a clean hole in the head. But I carry one because of the many useful ways it can save your life. I also carry a spare gun rather than a spare Mag. My lcp is about as heavy as one of my knives, and can reach farther in most circumstances. But if you had to survive for a long period of time in the wild, a knife would be more useful than a gun for most, "not all" things. I still can't find a foolproof sharpening tool for my knives, some work on 1 and not another, have tried the stones bu never quite got the hang of it. Suggestions would be helpfull.

Vern Humphrey
March 23, 2011, 05:16 PM
I still can't find a foolproof sharpening tool for my knives, some work on 1 and not another, have tried the stones bu never quite got the hang of it. Suggestions would be helpfull.
Go to Wal-Mart and look in the camping section, They have sharpeners that look something like the hilt on a sword. There are two carbide inserts inset in a V-shape, and you put the knife on its back, place the V on the edge and drag it from choil to point.

Next, get a piece of lath, about a foot long and a piece of good, thick leather. Cut the leather to fit the lath and Gorilla Glue it to the lath. Use this to strop your knife after sharpening.

AK103K
March 23, 2011, 05:31 PM
Ive always had great luck with the Lansky sharpeners. They hold the blade in a clamp, and keep the stones at a constant angle while you sharpen.

Once you get the edge set, touch ups are fast and easy. Work on most knives, and they will shave the hair off your arm every time.

I also use one of the pocket type sharpeners for touching up my hard use work knife. I have two types, one with diamond rods, the other with carbide and ceramic blades. The diamond sharpener works better, and faster. Its also easier on the blade. The carbide type removes a lot of metal with each pull through.

These type work OK if you really dont care about the knife, and arent looking for a super sharp knife. Just from seeing how people deal with or treat their knives and what they consider "sharp", there can be a pretty big difference in opinion as to what is what.

HorseSoldier
March 23, 2011, 07:34 PM
Benchmade folder does everything I need a knife to do day to day and wouldn't do anyone any favors if pressed into service as a weapon, plus a spare magazine. In the vast majority of defensive handgun usage, a single magazine holds more rounds than are necessary . . . but stoppages happen, and for the limited space and weight a spare magazine represents it would certainly suck to wind up dead because those couple ounces were too much trouble.

CZguy
March 23, 2011, 10:29 PM
Vern Humphrey,

That works well for me.

gym,

I don't like people who fight with knives, I feel they are more sadistic then a clean hole in the head.

Perhaps you're right........but then I jumped in puddles when I was young, so I guess I'm just messy. :D

22-rimfire
March 23, 2011, 11:24 PM

It works for me unless you have a thick SAK. Mine is comfortable in my pocket although the little metal eye for lanyard or whatever likes to wear holes in your pocket.

Maybe a pouch that fits both the mag and the knife? There doesn't seem to be a one size fits all.

gym
March 24, 2011, 01:16 AM
LOL, I was waiting for the "sadistic comment reply", by the way thanks to the gents who suggested sharpening equiptment and such. I hate to have to use a dull knife on a bad guy if it came to that.I had a couple of those v type jobs. they seemed to work great in the beginning but after a few months They seem to have wore out. I also have some real good stones my dad left me, but they take water or oil. By the way I just got an email from Suncoast, there is a show this weekend in FT. Pierce FL. I usually go with the usual suspects, my ex sniper buddies, but if anyone wants to meet up and say hello, please let me know. Been here so long now, I speak to some of you more than my relatives, "not a bad thing".

David E
March 24, 2011, 02:48 AM
would you perfer, a spare mag in the pocket, or a spare knife?

I'd carry both. It's a matter of OUNCES.

If a couple more ounces makes that big of a difference, I should hit the gym a little bit more.

Sav .250
March 24, 2011, 10:03 AM
Never bring a knife to a gun fight!

txhoghunter
March 24, 2011, 12:39 PM
New idea....sew yourself (or get your wife to) an extra pocket!

Now, SAK and spare mag ;)

But my take would be the knife if you had to choose, chances are much greater that you will need it than the spare mag

klutchless
March 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
I believe they make a ankle rig for your knife or you can clip it to the top of your boot always handy and you dont even feel it.Keep the mag on your belt because if you need it you need it now.

Vern Humphrey
March 24, 2011, 02:56 PM
But my take would be the knife if you had to choose, chances are much greater that you will need it than the spare mag
True, but in Risk Management you have to deal with both probability and consequences.

For example, it's almost 100% probable you'll get a cold in the next five years, while the odds of contracting AIDS are much lower. Still, a prudent man would strenuously avoid exposure to AIDS.

So, yes -- I'll use my knife today. No doubt about it -- to clean my nails, open my mail, open a feed sack, and so on. But if I don't happen to have it with me, it would only be a mild annoyance.

And the odds of using my spare magazine are quite low. But if I need a spare magazine and don't have one, the consequences would be fatal.

newhunter1
March 24, 2011, 03:43 PM
Ka-Bar's TDI knife is a very light knife...exceptional carry and great for the off hand carry. Can even use it as a cross draw knife. For instance I carry my 3 1/2" RIA .45 and at least one back up magazine, and two knives. One in my right hand pocket and now my TDI knife next to the other magazine. That way if I am in a hands on situation or trying to restrain the .45 then my off hand has access to a nice sharp knife.

Look it up...great system...

If you enjoyed reading about "Spare Magazine or Knife?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!