police trade in's, Do you trust them

PDA

wolverine_173
March 19, 2011, 10:46 AM
So i want a glock but dont want to pay 550 for one. There are a couple places i can get police trade ins for 400.

does anyone have experiance buying a police trade in? what condition was it in? where did you buy it? how much was it? would you do it again and post pictures of internal wear please if recently purchased! Or is it better to buy used from a civilian?

If you enjoyed reading about "police trade in's, Do you trust them" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
General Geoff
March 19, 2011, 10:50 AM
Most police trade-in pistols are very lightly used, often having little more than the number of rounds fired during annual or semi annual qualification through them. I purchased a Smith & Wesson SW99 in .40S&W back in 2006 that was a police trade-in, and it was in remarkably good shape. I paid $425 for a gun that normally retails for $600+. I purchased it from a gun shop that is no longer in business. I would have absolutely no problems buying it again. The gun has been nothing but dead nuts reliable.

Deanimator
March 19, 2011, 11:06 AM
You have to check out ANY used gun.

I've got three former police guns, a former VA Beach Sheriff's Dept. Glock 19 (2nd Gen), a 3" S&W Model 65, and a 4" S&W M&P.

All were safe to shoot.

Of the three, the Glock had no functional issues. I hated the 8lb. connector, which I replaced with a Ghost 3.5lb.

The Model 65 had a tendency to fail to fire for no obvious reason. I discovered that a previous owner decided to cut off the strain screw to lighten the pull. This gave me light hits. I replaced the screw with a stock unit and now it's 100%.

The M&P required minor timing corrections.

I definitely got my money's worth from all three guns.

Sky
March 19, 2011, 11:14 AM
5906 I purchase last month from CDNN for $299 was in good shape and no problems. It had night sights and match barrel and so far it has shot everything without failure.

Joe Demko
March 19, 2011, 11:28 AM
I have S&W 4566 that was a NH state police gun. It has some holster wear and came wearing a fugly rubber Hogue grip, but internally it shows little evidence of ever having been fired. I think I paid $325 for it. Absolutely no regrets.

Hypnogator
March 19, 2011, 12:28 PM
I have a police trade-in 5906 that I bought for $299 at a gun show years ago. It shows a little holster wear, and the grip is a tad battered from being worn exposed, but the rifling is like new, and it shows very little shooting wear. It's accurate and 100% reliable with anything I put through it. What's not to like? :cool:

YMMV, but you pays your money and you takes your chances! ;)

hso
March 19, 2011, 12:30 PM
I've had great luck with police trade-ins.

kingpin008
March 19, 2011, 12:41 PM
In most cases, I would happily choose a police trade-in over a random person's personal pistol. The trade-in's likely have less wear (internally, at least) and have been professionally maintained and serviced by armorers.

Claude Clay
March 19, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hartford's been keeping the guns and trading in their police. So far reports of complete unreliability are the norm. Local officials faced with the fact that the new police are worse than the old ones are announcing another new program--Police buy-backs.
Further details when the officials can no longer hide them from us.

WC145
March 19, 2011, 01:12 PM
I have a trade-in Mossberg 590A1 and a Ruger PC9, both great guns in great shape, they look like they never left the armory.

jbkebert
March 19, 2011, 01:27 PM
I have purchased 3 police trade ins. All directly from the officer. I don't know how it goes everywhere but here. The officer has the choice between giving up the gun or just buying it for what ever the trade in value is. The most recent case. Glock 19 9mm. Trade in value for the officer was $295 bucks towards the new department gun. So the officer just sold it to me for $295. The leo's I know have to buy their own guns but are reimbursed over the course of a month or two.

I also purchased a model 60 chiefs special for $150 this one actually had a cracked barrel. I sent it in to S&W and they replaced the barrel for another $100 or so.

The last was a Sig 220 I think I gave somewhere around $350-375 with 5 mags.

All except the chiefs special were flawless with I would guess no more than a couple hundred rounds fired. I have sold the Glock and the Sig for far more than I had invested.

Kurt S.
March 19, 2011, 04:22 PM
Two Glocks (M23, M36), a S&W M66, and a Winchester 1200 shotgun. All are great. The M66 showed a little external wear, but it doesn't show up much on a SS gun and any way I've owned it myself now for over 20 years.

The shotgun shows some cruiser mount wear but otherwise is fine. I have completely bubba-ized anyhow, extended mag, ATI stock, etc.

The Glocks were both pristine. I replaced the connector and trigger spring on the M23 as it had the NY2 11 lb trigger pull when I got it.

CJS06
March 19, 2011, 04:38 PM
Police trade ins can be great deals. As a couple of posters have mentioned if it is a Glock or an M&P or a couple of others they may have heavier triggers. These were required by some departments for additional safety. Its not hard to change springs or install a DCAEK and for the low price of these pistols usually more than worth it.

Kingofthehill
March 19, 2011, 04:42 PM
I trust them 100%

I currently have police trade in's for the Glock 22, Glock 23, Steyr and a S&W 5906.

All have been perfect and I trust my life to all of them.

JOe

Titanium Wolverine
March 19, 2011, 04:53 PM
............:evil: the guns yes......................:scrutiny:

TenDriver
March 19, 2011, 05:46 PM
Local gun shop here was selling Smith 6906's for $300. I have one and the rifling is certainly worn, but it eats any type of ammo and is accurate. I'm happy with it.

Fleetman
March 19, 2011, 06:07 PM
Back in the late 80's I purchased a S&W 586 police trade-in and it looked like new. The only issue I had was the firing pin recall had not been done yet....sent it in for the recall repair and it has been flawless since.

I wouldn't have any reservations buying a police trade-in....just look it over carefully first as you would any used firearm.

Erik M
March 19, 2011, 06:09 PM
I wish Buds still had some of the S&W Mod 64's that they had last Christmas. I hope that one of my dealers picks up some LEO trade in Glock 17's before Summer gets here, thats what im leaning towards with my next purchase.

orionengnr
March 19, 2011, 06:18 PM
I bought a San Diego Sheriff S&W M66 a number of years ago.
I have bought and sold a lot of revolvers since then, but this one's a keeper.

I also bought a G19 that was a Washington DC police gun. Seemed the height of irony that this little refugee had escaped from DC, and I was happy to give it a home for a while. Probably should have kept it too, but I can't afford to own them all at one time, and I'm not a Glock guy...

Nacho Libre
March 19, 2011, 06:19 PM
Most of the time I do.

Sauer Grapes
March 19, 2011, 07:06 PM
I have a S&W 5906 and a 4506. Both have been well worth the money I spent.
I actually carry the 5906. It's right at home in a OWB duty holster.

SlamFire1
March 19, 2011, 07:16 PM
I bought an excellent condition M870 shotgun that came from the Toledo Police Department. Only had a little bluing wear and most of the wear was from the locking system used to hold the shotgun in the car.

Most of the TPD shotguns at this store were absolutely beat to heck. This one was nice enough that the store owners put new wood on it.

And it was a good deal.

Took it out and shot it. First shot went bang, just as expected. Second round was jammed in the mechanism. After fiddling I was able to clear it and get that round in the chamber. Fired great. Next round from the tube got jammed in the mechanism.

After verifying that the shotgun worked fine in single shot mode I took it home.

Turns out there was this burr on part #7, the carrier. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=11943 The rim of the cartridge would stop at this burr jamming the mechanism.

That explains why the gun was in such good shape, only been fired once.

A bit of stoning and polishing the burr out, and I have a really nice shotgun!!

Maybe the worn ones are the good ones? :scrutiny:

Sometimes police tradeins have interesting stories.

These were police trade in pistols from the Palisades Interstate Parkway Police.

Not the worse for wear considering the PIPP had them since 1931.

This is PIPP No 35 J
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Pistols%20various/LeftSideNo35J.jpg

This is PIPP No 36J. It was carried by Chief Richard G. Piper, the first Chief of Police for the NJ section of the Palisades Interstate Parkway Police. See all the butt wear? He retired between 1977 and 1982. It was nickled for Chief Piper by a member of the PIPP.

It is a little loose in the timing department but goes bang.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Pistols%20various/ReducedColtDS416264PIPPNo36JDSCN585.jpg

Wishoot
March 19, 2011, 07:50 PM
I've purchased 4 police trade in's including...

Ruger GP100
S&W 4586
S&W 4006
Glock 22

You could include the 2 CZ82's I own as well.

Each one of these guns has been 100% functional. Other then selling off the 4586 (I didn't care for the DAO action), I still shoot them as frequently as time and money permits.

pittspilot
March 19, 2011, 08:10 PM
Bought a trade in 3rd gen G19. Late 90's vintage. Very little holster wear except for a scrape on the butt of the gun. Didn't really care because this is a go anywhere travel gun, and Well, it's a glock.

I believe all the springs were replaced because it feels so tight. Runs like a top. Perfect for what I was looking for.

danprkr
March 19, 2011, 08:40 PM
I've had many of them, and rarely any problems at all. Once in a while if you're not cosmetically picky (and looking at a Glock you obviously ain't ;) ) you can get a SMOKING deal on one.

Deltaboy
March 19, 2011, 09:54 PM
They are great buys!

wrs840
March 19, 2011, 10:28 PM
I wish Buds still had some of the S&W Mod 64's that they had last Christmas.

Here ya go... Scroll down to the seventh offering, police trade M64s for $295:

http://www.chestnutridge.com/products/firearms.asp

I can vouch for Chestnut Ridge being great folks to deal with. A Mom-n-Pop operation that has never disappointed me. I've bought a number of used guns from them, including a police-trade M64 a couple years ago, and I've never seen them selling DAO modified M64s (like J&G, and which I wouldn't want).

I also have a S&W 5904 Police-trade bought from Cole Distributing in KY. I'm not sure if they're still alive. The website is seemingly dormant.

Anyhoo, in both cases, the axiom of "carried a lot / shot little / well maintained" holds true. Police trades, in my experience, are a great way to get a good deal on a very sound piece.

prickett
March 20, 2011, 09:29 PM
So i want a glock but dont want to pay 550 for one. There are a couple places i can get police trade ins for 400.

does anyone have experiance buying a police trade in? what condition was it in? where did you buy it? how much was it? would you do it again and post pictures of internal wear please if recently purchased! Or is it better to buy used from a civilian?
I bought a traded in SIG 226. Bluing was almost all worn off the slide, but the insides looked brand new. Shoots like a dream. Only thing is, if I refinish the slide, I eat into my overall savings, making it less of a deal.

Ala Dan
March 20, 2011, 09:39 PM
Some great deal's can be had on previously owned, police trade-in's. Unless
a weapon has been grossly abused (usually tell by looking with the naked eye),
some major savings of $$$ can be found. As has been stated, some PO's very
seldom shoot their weapon(s); except during qualifications. Avoid a weapon
that has been left in a wet duty rig, unattened for long periods of time. Most
of the time a blued weapon will show signs of RUST, very quickly. I knew of
a couple of PO's that special ordered Smith & Wesson model 25-2's back in
the 70's; neither of them took care of these weapons, leaving them at their
headquarters; whereas anybody and everybody could "fiddle and fumble"
with these weapons. Pretty soon, they looked like something that S&W had
placed in their scrap bin~! :eek: :uhoh: ;)

Fit is of the utmost importance~! An ill fitting revolver for instance more than
likely will shave lead, be out of time, crane and frame may not mate amongest
other things~! On semi-auto's, slide to frame fit (tightness) is essential. A quick
check by pressing down hard on the top of the barrel cover will determine if there
is any sloppiness here. Look for cracked frames, slides, etc. Also, on 1911's you
want too inspect the grips bushing's; easily replaced, but you may want to pass
this one up cuz the screws were tightened down too far. Just fuel for thought~!

GCBurner
March 20, 2011, 09:54 PM
I picked up a German police-issue Walther P-1 that looks like it has never been fired. Came with a police leather belt holster and a spare magazine.

Guns and more
March 21, 2011, 12:45 AM
I think they are a great deal if you don't care about appearance.

Some places will offer "hand selected" for an additional $20, but they don't look at all the guns and select the best, they'll pick five out of the crate and give you the best of the five.

So, if holster wear doesn't bother you, you'll get a fine gun at a great price. Cops don't shoot much, even less in Europe.

The-Reaver
March 21, 2011, 12:47 AM
I have had a Glock 17 police turn in from MPDC since 1991 and it is still an AMAZING pistol.

animator
March 21, 2011, 01:59 AM
My first handgun purchase was a Beretta 96 police trade-in, bought sight-unseen. When it showed up, the only defects were some holster wear and some scuffed grips. The gun has been dead-nuts reliable, and is damn accurate. I'd buy another without hesitation.

pockets
March 21, 2011, 06:59 AM
I have a few police trades. No problems with any of them. Picked up a Smith & Wesson 6946 police trade for peanuts a couple years back that was like brand-new. (edit) I forgot to 100% reliability with all of the police trades I've purchased.
I think if you get it from a good shop, which carries a lot of police trades, and warranties their pre-owned guns....then no problem.

Carl N. Brown
March 21, 2011, 09:04 AM
When a relative asked a city detective about personal security, he suggested a police trade-in revolver as a good buy.

The police trade-in handguns I have seen have been carried a lot, fired for qualification and maintained by a department armorer. The outsides of a few have been rough, but I rate most as a best buy in used guns.

243winxb
March 21, 2011, 09:47 AM
Holster wear is the main problem. Other wise, police trade in's are a good buy. Have test fired many revolvers and autos. All S&W brand. The Armorer checks them before shipment, plus a dealer should have his gun smith recheck each one.

mgmorden
March 21, 2011, 10:55 AM
I own a lot of surplused guns. The CZ-75, SIG P6 and S&W Mod 64 are police surplus. The CZ-52, CZ-82, and Nagant are military surplus.

ALL of them have been fired quite a bit with not a single hiccup.

They're usually well cared for, and rarely shot. Problems are almost always cosmetic in nature.

I'm guessing that you're a newer shooter. Almost everyone that I've seen have the "used gun reservations" tend to be newer, but trust me you'll get over it. 90% of what I look at this days is used, and a lot of it military.

LKB3rd
March 21, 2011, 11:38 AM
I'd rather have a cheaper, used police trade-in, especially in something as reliable and bullet proof as a Glock.

Guy de Loimbard
March 21, 2011, 11:44 AM
I would trust police trade ins. Most of my small collection is commie mil-surps, they all work wonderfully, and police trade ins are a big step up from that.

PRM
March 30, 2011, 10:00 PM
Bought several over the years and always got bargains.

One of my favorites is a Manurhin Walther PP in 32 ACP. A+++

I just picked up an S&W model 649 Monday that came from the Detroit Police Department (Detective Issue). It had been carried some and showed some honest carry marks. MFG date was 1985. The little gun was as tight as a brand new one, carried more than shot. I popped the side plate off and the insides were pristine. A little Mothers MAG Polish, some TLC and it turned out nice. I changed the rubber grips out for a set of factory woods (personal preference). Got it for $389.

nwilliams
March 30, 2011, 10:37 PM
police trade in's, Do you trust them

Of course! Most police trade-in guns are shot less than used guns owned by non-LEO. They may show a lot of holster wear but that's because they were carried more than they were fired. They make great project guns as well if you want something you can restore and make pretty again.

TheDriver
March 30, 2011, 10:39 PM
I have 3 police trade in shotguns and love them all.

Nico Testosteros
March 30, 2011, 11:58 PM
I totally trust my police trade in. It's a Smith and Wesson. What's not to trust? It's already broken in.

hemiram
March 31, 2011, 06:21 AM
I have quite a few of them, and all are at least pretty nice looking and fully functional:

Beretta 84, $279, was someone's duty gun has a number engraved on the frame under the grips. No paperwork, but it is in great shape with a slight amount of high point wear and a couple of bare metal spots on the frame.
Beretta 92FS, $405 about 98%, and the only real wear was on the grip screws. I bought some hex head SS ones off ebay and the gun almost looks new. In original box, with 3 mags and three sets of grips, the plastic originals, a set of Houge wrap arounds, and a set of Beretta checkered wood ones.
S&W 4586, from the Newport News PD. One of the Bud's $269 guns. A little scuffed up, and the night sights are almost dead, but it's in great mechanical shape.
S&W 4506, paid $425 I have no idea what PD it's from, but it has a sticker on the box that said, Sgt Simmons, or maybe Simons, and it's almost in new condition. A couple marks on the grips, and a couple of tiny shiny spots near the muzzle, that's it. Came in the original blue box, with all the paperwork.
S&W 5906, $325 from Puerto Rico, it's got the officer's name on the box, and it's only wear is a couple of small shiny spots on the muzzle end of the slide, and a couple of wear spots on the grips. Came in the original blue box with all the paperwork.
S&W 4006TSW, $375, should be here today, looks great in the pics!

Buzzard II
March 31, 2011, 06:46 AM
I bought a Glock 19 that was an off duty gun. Only enough ammo thru it to qualify. The Lt. I bought it from had the armourer clean it for me and I got two extra 15 round mags with it. 1st gen. Inside looked as new! I would not have a problem buying another, as they are usually great shooters, well maintained, and priced right. Good Shooting! Bob

Sulaco
March 31, 2011, 09:28 AM
I've had a bunch of department trade-in guns I purchased second-hand and have never had any problems. I did buy a Glock 17 once that was a confiscated gun and it had some funkiness, but Glocks are so easy to work over, I got it back in good working order quickly with just stuff from my parts bin. Most LE guns are hardly used at all and suffer mostly from some holster wear. As an aside, $400 is a good price for a used one, but my local shop sells Glocks new for not much more than that if you are a LEO/Gov.

Harley Quinn
March 31, 2011, 11:58 AM
I have bought several police trade-ins over the years, always glad/happy I did it:)

If looking for a specific pistol and there was a store that handled the trade-ins, I would do it again... Always saved some money and have had great results...
:)

oledad86
March 31, 2011, 12:11 PM
i purchased a s&w m4566 ohio highway patrol trade in for 300 in 2002. lots of holster wear,internals looked spotless! 1000rds later it just shoots better than before. would definatly do again;)

yyz
March 31, 2011, 12:26 PM
bought many and would buy again. as typed cosmetic wear is the biggest problem. one other thing is some depts will put stamp/brand a property number on the frame. the last batch of glocks i seen from the mich dept of corrections had armory numbers branded on them. not to bad but the pistols were shot very little. price was so nice i almost when to the dark side and bought a glock.

Storz
March 31, 2011, 12:28 PM
My "dream" gun is a police trade in. The HK P7 PSP

CZguy
March 31, 2011, 01:49 PM
the last batch of glocks i seen from the mich dept of corrections had armory numbers branded on them. not to bad but the pistols were shot very little. price was so nice i almost when to the dark side and bought a glock.

Whew, that was a close one. :D

I too have bought a few police trade in's over the years and have been very pleased.

MD_Willington
March 31, 2011, 07:39 PM
I'm in the S&W 5906 group, police trade in, its runs, its eats anything I put in it and it was about $300.

alsaqr
March 31, 2011, 09:37 PM
Years ago i bought two S@W model 10 revolvers that came from the Hong Kong PD. They are marked RHKP and have lanyard rings. The guns were re-blued by S@W before sale. One of those guns has been fired a lot and it works very well. The other remains unfired.

FROGO207
March 31, 2011, 10:21 PM
Bought a S&W 645 turn in from a local PD. A little scuffing on the slide and that was it. Reliable and accurate what's not to like for the price.:D

Sebastian the Ibis
April 2, 2011, 11:30 AM
If you are looking for a shooter, police trade ins are generally fantastic. If you want something pretty to look at you may want to look elsewhere.

That being said. If you want a new glock and don't want to pay retail, join the glock shooting sports foundation. It will cost you $35.00 and you can get a glock for LEO pricing $420 ish. That way you wind up with a NIB glock for $450 with an extra mag. If you decide later to take a glock armorers course, then you have already paid the $35 part of the admission fee.

bwsmith2850
April 2, 2011, 08:41 PM
Well, I have a few police guns. I have pair of Smiths (19 & 28) which were very holster worn, my Beretta 96G and a Remington 870. I had a S&W 66 for a while too. I haven't had trouble with any of them. I plan to buy the Glock when its time comes. I carry the 19 & Beretta regularly.

Police guns can vary. Some guys shoot a lot, others only when required. I shoot a lot more than average but the duty gun gets shot for training. Glocks are durable and don't really show wear. The only reported trouble is with the 3rd gen model 22 with a rail light. Replace the recoil spring & you should be fine. As with all used guns, check them out carefully when you buy.

These are the 19 & 28 with new grips.

tazbigdog
April 3, 2011, 10:44 AM
It depends. I would not buy my used S&W .357 Mag revolver through a used police gun, as it was a POS when I carried it on duty. My 5906 duty weapon had maybe 5-10K rounds through it, as I was a Firearms Instructor. The gun was well used and functional, still.

devildog66
April 3, 2011, 11:06 AM
I have found police turn-ins (and used guns in general) to be fantastic deals. I have bought a Beretta 96, SW J frame, Sig 239, and a Glock 23 either used or through police turn-ins. Still have the Glock and the others went towards other trades and I received more in trade then what was paid for each.

jeepguy
April 3, 2011, 07:40 PM
i have bought 3 police turn ins a cz 82, sig p6 & a sig 228 i have been happy with them all. the only problems i have had on the cz are holster wear which is no big deal, had it professionally cleaned & i had the 3 dot sights repainted. on the sig p228 i replaced the dead night sights, had it professionally cleaned & then i had the roll pins replaced. the p6 didn't need anything, so i would definitely buy another police trade in. especially if i can find a glock 21 sf.

bob kk
April 3, 2011, 08:11 PM
S&W 4586, from the Newport News PD.

When did you get the one from Newport News. About 4 years ago the chief made a deal with S&W on the trade ins For them not to be sold in America. They got took on that trade. They all wanted H&K 45 apc and wound up paying more for the S&W's. Chief just cost the city more money. They were going to sell each officer his carry weapon but the chief vetoed it. Got this from one of their officers.

dprice3844444
April 3, 2011, 08:13 PM
hey if they fire it they gotta clean it.most times the only time they shoot it is in qualification,maybe once a year

Joe Demko
April 3, 2011, 10:04 PM
I actually forgot that I have two other police guns: a Colt 1911 and a S&W Chiefs Special. They weren't trade-ins, though. They were my dad's guns when he was a police officer and then county sheriff. They're typical of police guns. Plenty of honest holster wear and the grips are somewhat battered. Internally, they are both in excellent condition. Dad didn't shoot his (then) department-owned guns much outside of department-mandated range sessions. Cops, in those days, weren't exactly rolling in filthy lucre and he ran their guns only when it was with their ammo.

hemiram
April 4, 2011, 09:58 PM
bob kk-

S&W 4586, from the Newport News PD.

When did you get the one from Newport News. About 4 years ago the chief made a deal with S&W on the trade ins For them not to be sold in America. They got took on that trade. They all wanted H&K 45 apc and wound up paying more for the S&W's. Chief just cost the city more money. They were going to sell each officer his carry weapon but the chief vetoed it. Got this from one of their officers.

I got it last year, from Bud's.

skeptical_in_Ohio
November 7, 2011, 06:09 AM
Apparently a former Ohio Department of Corrections firearm. I bought it Saturday and shot it for the first time Sunday afternoon. Kind of...well, used looking, but it was really tight and smooth and shot well (really accurate for the 30 rounds I put downrange to try it out). Be prepared to look over a couple before deciding (from what I can tell the gun store in question just bought a pile of them), but I"m really pleased with the one I got in terms of its shooting - aesthetics is another matter.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=7708383&postcount=5246

(post to "last firearm you bought" thread linked to save space by not reposting the photos).

tonytor58
November 7, 2011, 08:28 AM
I got an hk usp 45c for $450 out the door at a local store around april. Some holster wear, shot great, and ate anything. Sold it to fund my AR but it was a great gun prob will regret selling it one day.

SaxonPig
November 7, 2011, 08:40 AM
If you are genuinely concerned about the reliability of a used Glock then it seems to me the $150 difference is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Ranger30-06
November 7, 2011, 08:45 AM
I bought a S&W 4046 that is literally brand new for $400 because it's a police trade in. There are a couple scuffs on the sides from the holster, but when you take the gun apart, there is literally NO wear anywhere, even on the bolt face!

So do I trust police trade in's? YEA! (unless the previous cop thought he was some kinda gunfighter and put 100 rounds a day through it...)

Paul Kersey
November 7, 2011, 08:46 AM
I've got a S&W 686 4" from an Arkansas PD. In excellent condition, it was issued to a detective who kept it in a drawer and carried a smaller gun in a waistband holster. With a Hume basketweave holster it set me back $225.

Neo-Luddite
November 7, 2011, 09:50 AM
VERY happy owner of 2 S&W 64'-6s (M&P) from J and G.

At about 250 a pop, in factory double action only config, these are flat-out bargains and great shooters. If I had the cash, speaking only of these, I'd buy a few more. They shoot every bit as good as any of the issue weapons my department is *still* using for duty.

As for Glocks, well, I'm partial----I wouldn't trade them for a NIB one ANY day. Just me, I don't WANT a plastic toy to bet my tail on.

JustinJ
November 7, 2011, 11:11 AM
I've gotten some amazing deals on a LE trade ins but would inquire as to the return policy first. I've never had an issue but a buddy bought a LE trade in Ruger P85 from the same shop i got mine for the same price. Mine ran like a top but his consistently stove piped but luckily they had a 30 day return policy. Both guns looked to be in very good shape with some very minor external rust. The best guns are those traded in from state agencies that most wouldn't think even carry. Local GS had about 30 like new SW M&P's in .40 one day for $300 in like new condition with all accessories. They dissapeared in two days.

Zach S
November 7, 2011, 11:29 AM
A few years ago CDNN was flooded with police trade-in Glocks, I think they sold for $359 or so. I had two of them. Pretty worn on the outside, looked new on the inside. One especially, it still had the copper-colored grease that a new Glock does.

snubbies
November 7, 2011, 11:32 AM
I bought a Model 64 Smith 2 inch formally California Department of Corrections for a reasonable price and in like new condition. An easy sale for this dealer.

PaulKersey3
November 7, 2011, 07:50 PM
Picked up a great gen3 Glock21 police trade a few years ago. Dialed in perfect with night sights, one of my favorite buys.

If you enjoyed reading about "police trade in's, Do you trust them" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!