Sphinx Pistols

PDA

Dacos
December 26, 2002, 11:21 PM
Any word yet on whether Sphinx has a U.S. distributor? It was supposed to be announced in late December. I got a chance to fire one and I'm hooked. I liked the finish more than my CZ 75, the pistol felt tighter, and the action butter smooth. B/c of the latter, I would probably purchase one in DAO which would be a first for me as far as autos go.

Shoot well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sphinx Pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PCRCCW
December 27, 2002, 12:48 AM
I just stumbled across an AT380m LNIB for around 350$.....I cant get it just in case anyone is interested :rolleyes: Very Very nice....too bad CZ cant shrink the 83.....just a tad.
Shoot well

Walther P99
December 27, 2002, 03:44 AM
I, too, am very interested in the Sphinx line of pistols, and have been for quite a while. I'm looking at one of these to be my next CCW/home defense weapon.

I've been in contact with Manuel Wipf (their COO) for a few months and he's said he'll inform me of their new distributor by around Christmas-time. He said they have everything worked out with their distributor and everything is ready to go. I haven't heard anything yet, but he's always been great about responding in a timely manner to my questions (always the next business day). Hopefully, he'll let me know sometime in the next few weeks.

QB
December 28, 2002, 11:25 AM
I'm waiting for an email from Manuel also. Should be "any day' now. I have several Sphinx handguns and want to compare a newly produced one with the others I have. I don't doubt that they'll be just as good as my other ones but I'm still not sure I like the new titanium finish (versus the older palladium finish). I believe I can get the palladium finish as a special order but it may cost as much as $200 extra which probably isn't worth it to me since I already have some guns in palladium finish. Not sure if the frame/receiver will still be the polished silver or a titanium coating. I just HATE waiting :(

Meanwhile I'm going to the range with a new Sphinx DAO police special model, a Colt Pocket Nine, and a Colt Special Combat Government. First time I've had a chance to go to the range in weeks and I've REALLY been wanting to try out the new guns.

Dacos
December 28, 2002, 01:07 PM
QB - Did you obtain the DAO Sphinx on special order? I was told that was the only way to get one, unless bought on the used/NIB market. Let me know how it shoots. I'm really interested in a AT-2000P DAO if I can find one.

PCRCCW
December 28, 2002, 01:54 PM
Just about every configuration of all guns is available....you may have to special order one new from Sphinx...but others have done it and sold them....thus..they are out there.....
Keep your ears to the ground...one will turn up.
Shoot well..

QB
December 28, 2002, 04:48 PM
Over the past 2 years I've purchased 5 LNIB 9mm Sphinx handguns that people were selling "out of their safe" for one reason or another. They were absolutely new/unfired with all original materials. They were expensive but I am a Sphinx (and Colt) fanatic so you know how that goes!!! According to Manuel (Sphinx COO) the DAOs are special order only. He mentioned that a lot of body guards order them. This is the first DAO I have found and although it is two tone at least the frame is polished. My favorite Sphinx finish is palladium and I bought the only two I have found. Below are a few pictures of my two Police Special models and one of my AT380s. Sorry about the poor photo quality. Haven't taken pictures of the other 2 Sphinxes.

The configuration I REALLY want is SA/DA with the decocking lever. I have NEVER found that configuration for sale. I was going to order another Police Special but since I found the DAO one I am now thinking about a couple of AT2000 P models also (one DAO and one SA/DA with decocking lever). I don't really have a problem with long trigger reaches but the DAO is probably a bit long for me but nothing to stop me from buying it.

The DAO trigger in my police special and all three of my AT380Ms is SWEET. Some may consider the pull rather long but the "break" is fantastic. I just can't explain it. The DAO is just not like any other my other guns in that there's a definite break and the action is ever so smooth and light. I was VERY impressed with the AT380s but my new Police Special is even better.

I can also say that all my Sphinx handguns have been 100% with all kinds of range ammo including Blazer as well as several brands of hollow point including Winchester Ranger SXT (the kind with a black coating), Gold Dot, Silvertip, HydraShok, Federal and a few I can't remember. I use Winchester Ranger SXT as defensive ammo in my Colt Pony Pocketlite and the Sphinx.

I can't wait to see if there are any restrictions on what models and options we will be able to order once Sphinx announces the US distributor. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to order what I want.

DAO Police Special (a little dirty....sorry)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/p693f4f364de0dba01e2cca77b71006a7/fcebb898.jpg

DAO Police Special
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/p5b2926bd91695d5077f97c3414efd8dd/fcebbda8.jpg

SA/DA Palladium Police Special. "Contrast" is a little off!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/p955ad9ae6fcbccbd3e83c3d14dc56bef/fcebbda5.jpg

Palladium AT380M
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid18/p1e7366b5a2e5dc64fb2db25f3da37f98/fdcdd1f8.jpg

Walther P99
December 28, 2002, 05:24 PM
Mr. Wipf has sent me a brochure which details the 2000S and PS models as well as the 3000 models. I asked about the P and H models and he said that although they're not in the brochure, they can be made on request, which sounds like a special order to me. So with that, I'll most likely stick with the PS model in DA/SA.

QB
December 28, 2002, 08:23 PM
Looks like I'm in for a long wait since the models/options I want will be a special order. I've waited a year (or it seems like a year) for the US distributor so I guess I can wait even longer for a special order. Once the distributor is named I'll have to email Manuel and discuss the P model and the other options I want....what to do.....what to do :confused:

I hope to be able to see some of the new models "in person". Although I'm not particularly fond of the 3000 model (I've only had a brochure to look at & the web site) I may just change my mind once I handle one.

Anyone heard that titanium galls really bad? Just a comment someone made on a forum....something about titanium galling unless processed correctly?????

Dacos
December 28, 2002, 11:09 PM
QB and Walther P99 - As soon as you hear from Sphinx regarding who the distributor is and when it is official, PLEASE post the info. I will special order my gun once Sphinx has everything in order.

QB - Thx for the pics! Although I'm not planning on carrying the Sphinx, I do like the idea of the DAO model as a bedside gun.

Shoot well.

Walther P99
December 29, 2002, 03:31 AM
As soon as you hear from Sphinx regarding who the distributor is and when it is official, PLEASE post the info.

Will do.

Okiecruffler
December 29, 2002, 06:42 AM
I had a Sphinx AT380M, The Wife carried it around for a bit. Without a doubt the nicest pistol I've ever owned. Incredibly well made. Long but very smooth trigger pull. If I was going to go back to carrying a .380 it would be my first choice.

duncan
December 31, 2002, 03:35 AM
Attractive but for the money, I think you could find more parts and other shooters with EAA Witnesses, CZs, and the like.

In the realm of Star. great pistol just never caught on in the US. My old Megastar looked similar.

But if you like them, go on with your big bad self. It's your cash. you worked hard, buy it.

QB
January 1, 2003, 11:24 AM
Dacos -- that's exactly where I've decided to keep my DAO. In my bedside safe with another backup gun (I can just fit it and one other compact gun in the little safe). Both guns function the same in that I just draw the gun from my safe and pull the trigger. I certainly didn't want to mix action types (i.e. DAO and SA cocked & locked) ..... kept it simple and practiced my "home defense" tactics so that my reactions "should" be fairly ingrained.

I say "fairly" ingrained because one night several years ago my house alarm went off. My dog was howling at the top of her lungs (it hurt her ears) and I jumped out of bed, ran into the living room where a control panel was (my control panel in the bedroom was inop) and shut off the alarm. Then I stood there and thought "oops"....if this was a breakin I guess I am "dead"!!!!! So much for "planning" what I'd do if the alarm went off!!!! Since then I have practiced what I'd do and hope that when I jump up from a deep sleep, I will follow my game plan.

STILL WAITING FOR THAT DARN SPHINX DISTRIBUTOR NOTIFICATION :cuss:

i-SHOT
January 1, 2003, 12:22 PM
Anyone got their website address handy? I thot I had in my Favorite folder. Thanks.

Dacos
January 1, 2003, 01:01 PM
www.sphinx-systems.ch

i-SHOT
January 1, 2003, 02:37 PM
Many thanks, Dacos.

i-SHOT
January 1, 2003, 02:54 PM
I took a look at their compact 2000H. Hmmmmmm. Something to consider. Anyone's got any additional info on this baby?

Walther99, have you handle any of the Sphinxs before? How would you compare the Sphinxs to the P99? I'm curios. I have a modified CZ75 SA that shoots like a dream and it seems these Sphinxs are replicas of some sort.

Thanks.

Walther P99
January 1, 2003, 03:36 PM
Walther99, have you handle any of the Sphinxs before?

Actually, I haven't. Once I get ready to buy I'm going to go to the gun show and at least handle a CZ (doubt if I'll find a Sphinx at the show) to see how it feels, etc. Once Sphinxes start being imported here, then I should be able to try out the different models. The main thing is I want a high-quality, steel-framed ( I think all Sphinxes are steel) DA/SA pistol for my next gun. I'm just hoping that there's nothing with the gun that'll cause me to not buy one, but I don't think there should be; I've handled several full-size autos (owned a full-size USP) and there really was no problem with them....

I took a look at their compact 2000H. Hmmmmmm. Something to consider. Anyone's got any additional info on this baby?

I agree, but the only thing I'd be concerned about is the grip looks a little too short to handle solidly. If I could get a good grip on it, I may consider that since concealing anything larger (PS or P) will be difficult (but NOT impossible) in the San Antonio climate.
The added benefit is that the 3.75in barrel is optional, adding to accuracy.

STILL WAITING FOR THAT DARN SPHINX DISTRIBUTOR NOTIFICATION

I hear you, I'm checking my email everyday hoping to see it in there... :)

Walther P99
January 1, 2003, 03:44 PM
Oops, one more thing, I think all Sphinxes are ambidextrous, and since I'm left handed, that's another reason I'm interested in them. Hard to find a truly ambi pistol from the factory... :banghead:

Bahadur
January 1, 2003, 07:40 PM
Are Sphinx pistols modernized CZ-type pistols made in Switzerland, supposedly with better fit and finish than the original Czech make?

If so, where do I sign up?

Walther P99
January 2, 2003, 11:13 PM
If so, where do I sign up?

Get in line, right behind the rest of us! :D

Walther P99
January 20, 2003, 10:53 PM
I hope Manuel didn't forget about us...:(

PCRCCW
January 21, 2003, 08:55 AM
Sphinx guns arent really a moderized CZ...in fact if the new production methods for the internals of the CZ Po1 hold true..it should be quite a jump in CZ's technology/modernization.

Sphinx guns are actually just a better fit/finish quality CZ clone..one that is "polished and tuned" from the factory.
THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL! Sphinx makes them with just that extra touch of class....
The triggers on the ones Ive shot/played with are excellent...
Much like the better CZ triggers Ive felt....very nice.
Heres a link to their site....for those who want to do this
:banghead: :cuss:
http://www.sphinx-systems.ch/e/index_e.htm
Shoot well :neener: :evil:

Walther P99
March 10, 2003, 10:00 PM
After months of waiting, I finally got the distribution notice...

I'm going to email these people and hopefully I can get some pricing info, etc.

We are proud to announce our new US distributor,

Rocky Mountain Armoury
591 Blue River Parkway
P.O. Box 1835
Silverthorne, CO 80498

Mr. Felix Lesmerises and his staff will be happy to provide you with
information and take your orders.

Contact possibilities:

Phone: 970 468 5001

Fax: 970 262 1499

e-Mail : tekarms@yahoo.com

For a fast up-date on our products, please refer either to our official
web-page www.sphinxarms.com or our inofficial web-page in English,
http://sphinx.weapons.be

Please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail info@sphinxarms.com or Rocky
Mountain Armoury at tekarms@yahoo.com for any questions or comment.

SPHINX SYSTEMS LTD.
Manuel Wipf

SPHINX - Swiss quality firearms since 1876

Dacos
March 10, 2003, 10:15 PM
Yes!!! I've been waiting for this announcement for a long time. Walther P99 - You Da Man!
Let us know what info you gather and if you're talking to them, inquire if one can order or special order a Sphinx 2000 DAO (P or S models). Also, I'm curious what finishes are available. I was going to spend my tax return on a S&W 686 PC in 38 Super, but that will have to wait. I wonder if the new distributor has or plans on having a website?

Dacos

QB
March 10, 2003, 10:18 PM
I received the same email from Manuel. I have already emailed the distributor with several questions and a request for info.

I really didn't plan on buying another one but now I am getting somewhat excited about the possibilities.

Dacos
March 10, 2003, 10:30 PM
I just checked out http://sphinx.weapons.be

That link has one of the coolest vids showing the 2000S being fired underwater and cycling succesfully. Though I'm not planning on doing that soon, it's still too cool...

Walther P99
March 10, 2003, 10:35 PM
Dacos - I caught your post before I sent my questions so I put your questions in as well. I'll let you know what I receive.

I wish I was getting a tax refund. For some reason my company's payroll dept. decided to take a lot less Fed tax out of my paycheck last year so I now owe almost $1,300 - I definitely wasn't expecting this... :cuss: :cuss: :banghead: :fire: :barf:

Hopefully, once I pay that in April, it won't be so bad and I'll then be able to set some money aside for my new gun. :)

Dacos
March 11, 2003, 01:20 AM
Any idea what the SA/DA sport trigger is like? I see the SA sport trigger on some of the competition models, but was wondering what the SA/DA sport trigger would be like for a 2000 S or P model...

Walther P99
April 6, 2003, 10:41 PM
OK, I got this document from Rocky Mountain Armoury. It appears they're still in the process of getting set up...

Rocky Mountain Armoury
591 Blue River Parkway
P.O. Box 1835
Silverthorne, Colorado 80498-1835 USA

Tel: 970 469-5001 Fax: 970 262-1499
email: tekarms@yahoo.com

Rocky Mountain Armoury is an importer and distributor of fine European firearms and accessories. We are located in Colorado Summit county USA, in the center of ski country, which is also the area of the finest hunting opportunities in Colorado.

The lines we presently have are:

 Sphinx Systems, Matten Switzerland. The complete line of firearms, parts and accessories*.
 Arme's de Mathelon, Switzerland. Custom drillings and double rifles hand crafted in the finest traditions.
 JTL, Janz, Germany. Unique revolvers that can change calibers without the use of tools. Manufactured to the highest German standards.

*The firearms have been approved for importation by the ATF (technical division) and the first shipments are expected within 6 weeks. Prices are not currently available, but I will forward them to you as soon as available.

Rocky Mountain Armoury is a distributor and invites all dealer inquiries, please send signed FFL. Dealer terms and prices will be available.

Due to demand for Sphinx parts and accessories, these will be handled through TEKARMS, Silverthorne Colorado, email: tekarms@yahoo.com. Each inquiry will be quoted for price and expected delivery date. Individual purchases will be forwarded to the dealer in your state, if one is not available you should locate a local dealer for an FFL Transfer.

Website www.rockymountainarmoury.us is presently under construction, you will be notified of its availability.

Best Regards,
Thank you,
Felix Lesmerises

Gary in Pennsylvania
January 13, 2004, 04:28 PM
This may be an old thread . . . . . . but here is new information.

I e-mailed Rocky Mountain to see what their current Sphinx stock is like...
Here is their reply:

First shipment due Feb 1 approx. Prices will be
calculated at that time. I will notify you.

It may be a non-glamorous response - but the message is clear . . . . . They're on the way. I'm just afraid to see the retail$$$. I like the 3000 Tactical and the Modified. :D

QB
January 13, 2004, 10:10 PM
I just Rocky Mountain yesterday about the Sphinx lineup. I've been waiting FOREVER. Glad to here that they are merely delayed versus not importing many of them in.

I MUST have another SPHINX or two. My only problem is what to sell to fund the SPHINX guns. Some of my duplicate guns/safe queens (HK Expert 9mm, SIG P226 Sport Stock, Beretta CX4 Storm) have got to go, that's for sure.

Unfortunately the longer I waited for these to arrive the more I found myself liking the 3000 model, especially the Tactical and Modified that you mentioned. I had all but given up on the Sphinx and was actually looking at a CZ Champion. Now I have to wait and see what shows up at Rocky Mountain.

Thanks so much for the update!!!! :D

Gary in Pennsylvania
January 13, 2004, 10:46 PM
Ooooooh. I get lightheaded just looking at her!

http://www.sphinxarms.com/images/3000%20Competition%20Modified%20May%202003.jpg

Isn't she Beautiful ?!!? :p :p

QB
January 13, 2004, 10:51 PM
That's CRUEL!!! Now you have put me over the edge. I have to sell even more guns in order to purchase one of those. Man oh man......I'm drooling. ;)

Okiecruffler
January 14, 2004, 09:45 AM
I sure hope there are to be some AT380's.

Gary in Pennsylvania
January 14, 2004, 09:55 AM
uhhh - Could you be referring to this:

http://www.sphinxarms.com/images/at380m_800.gif

:D :D :D :D :D

Okiecruffler
January 14, 2004, 10:30 AM
That's it, but I'm pretty sure mine was prettier and smelled like spring when it fired.

Walther P99
January 24, 2004, 01:58 AM
I called Felix several months ago and tried to get a general price range for the 2000 Series and basically the response was 'well over $1000'. :barf:

Unfortunately, this was well out of my range, so I broke... I bought a S&W CS45 that I think is a great gun for about $630 out the door. However, I still think the Sphinxes are excellent guns and hopefully, one of these years, I'll have the money to buy one. :(

For those of you who do get one, let us know how it you like it and POST PICS!!!

Gary in Pennsylvania
January 24, 2004, 07:52 AM
Hey Walther 99, How's the trigger pull on that CS45 (length of pull and weight)? They're nice firearms.

George Hill
January 24, 2004, 11:46 AM
*cough*uglyguns*cough*

CZ's are better looking

Sean Smith
January 24, 2004, 12:27 PM
Actually, the 3000 series guns look like a major departure from the CZ in some respects. They look like they lockup in the ejection port like a Sig or Glock instead of using BHP-style lugs forward of the ejection port.

Walther P99
January 25, 2004, 12:24 AM
I find the CS45 to have a great trigger pull, not heavy or too long. Actually, the entire gun is super, definitely exceeded my expectations. It's very controllable for its size, even for double-taps (I think the .45 helps here). I did dry-fire a Sphinx AT380 and I found the trigger pull to be quite heavy, much heavier than the CS45.

The only caveat is you'll have best results with 230gr ammo - lighter and the slide tends to cycle too fast leading to misfeeds, at least that's the way I understand it. I tried lighter ammo and I did have some misfeeds. When I shot the 230gr ammo (of different brands) I had no problems whatsoever.

Dacos
April 17, 2004, 10:51 PM
Spoke to Rocky Mountain Armory today. They have AT2000S and PS models in all black, 9mm or .40, for $1600. Other models or the same in Duo-tone or DAO only can be special ordered, however the wait is 6-8 weeks. The high price is a combination of the high quality/price of these swiss firearms and the weak U.S. dollar vs. Franc.

Now I have to decide if the price is worth it or if I should order a SIG P210-6S (the sport model with extended tang and American-type mag release).

- Dacos

QB
April 17, 2004, 11:15 PM
And I thought that my AT2000 Police Special (in all palladium finish) was outrageous at $950. But $1600....no way, absolutely NO way. You're sure it was a quote for the AT2000 and not the 3000? :what:

http://home.comcast.net/~patricia.coombs/Guns/SwissMiss2.jpg

Dacos
April 17, 2004, 11:23 PM
Yes, the AT-3000 costs $2200. There's cheaper sources out there (A-1 Firearms for instance) but I can't seem to find an AT-2000S. Nice pistol, is that with the all Paladium finish?

Dacos
April 17, 2004, 11:26 PM
Duh, it must be that finish (I re-read your message).

QB
April 17, 2004, 11:29 PM
Yes, it's all palladium. The gun doesn't really look two-tone, it's just the way the flash hit it. It is absolutely pristine with all orginal equipment, box, etc. The baseplates on the two factory 15 round mags are palladium also. I use other 15 round Sphinx mags, not the palladium ones.

I was told by Manual (the COO for Sphinx) that they no longer offered palladium. Rather it was two tone and the color was a Titanium finish....sort of pearl grey. Different than the palladium. Maybe they changed their minds, I don't know. But he told me their guy that did the palladium was no longer their and that if I special ordered a palladium that they could not warranty how the finish would hold up.

I don't think A-1 firearms has any Sphinx although they have them listed on their website (at least I think that's the company I emailed and they said they don't and won't have any). I'll go check them out.

QB
April 17, 2004, 11:31 PM
Dacos - are you looking for an AT2000P in 9mm or 40 caliber? I have seen one once as well as an AT2000H. The ones I run across are usually two-tone. I've never seen an all palladium (except for a .380 caliber) other than the one I purchased. I'll keep my eyes open for ya!!!!!

Dacos
April 17, 2004, 11:51 PM
QB, thx for keeping an eye out. I'm looking for two potential Sphinx purchases: a 2000P (all black and DAO) and a 2000S (all black and SA/DA). Both in 9mm. I just e-mailed Manual to inquire about the AT3000 Titanium, which I believe will have an all Ti frame and slide, and when it will be available in .45. To me that would be worth $2200.

QB
April 17, 2004, 11:58 PM
Yes, the .45 would be really nice and I believe worth the price.

Good luck.

QB
April 18, 2004, 12:08 AM
Well I had a DAO two tone Police Special. Again, the only DAO 9mm I've ever seen. Sold it a while back.

I can't say I've seen any black 9mm Sphinx for sale. They've always been two tone. There was a guy in Arlington awhile back that had two Sphinx for sale, both 2-tone. One was a PS and the other an S (or whatever the fullsize is).

I'll keep my eyes open.

DougB
April 18, 2004, 02:04 AM
I saw the Spinx pistols at the Shot Show a couple of months ago. They looked like very nice, slightly modified CZ clones. I talked with the rep (he was the importer, I believe) about them a bit, but when I saw the prices, sticker shock set in. I like CZs and CZ clones a lot, but at least part of the appeal is value (quality gun at fairly low price). I don't recall exactly what these cost, but I think it was in the neighborhood of 4 - 5 times what CZs go for. No doubt some would be willing to pay it, but I'll bet not many. There's a limited market for $1,000+ handguns anyway, but it would be especially hard for me to pay a high price for a gun that is essentially a clone of a $350 gun. Seems like you could buy a new CZ, have a trigger job and other custom fitting done, have it refinished in whatever finish you want, and still have a lot less into it than you'd pay for the Spinx version. Then again, people pay thousands for "custom" 1911s that are just nicer versions of basic 1911s you can buy for under $500, so maybe a high-end CZ will go over big.

Doug

cratz2
April 18, 2004, 04:22 PM
I wonder how much the price is affected by differences in economies... :confused:

They are consistantly beautiful guns, esp the palladium which I've only seen in the AT380s but it is tres chic... Really lovely.

I currently carry a CZ PCR and am strongly considering having if finished in hard chrome by Accurate Plating which would be $170 for flaw removal and a brushed finish (this includes nickle plating the allow frame as well). The single action trigger is super with just about 2mm of creep and a trigger job by evolution gun works with a new sear is $125 last I checked. I'd pay $100 to have it converted to a light double action only if it got the trigger in the 5# to 7# range... but at that point, I'd still only have under $700 in it.

If they could offer a DAO 200 series, sized like the PCR/P01, with some sort of front and rear stap treatment, I could see maybe $800... maybe $900 (or more with night sights).

I've thought about tracking down the importer in Ossian, Indiana (if he's still physically around) and seeing if he might still have something interesting he might be interested in selling but haven't yet.

Anyone have that physical address? :uhoh:

Pilgrim
June 2, 2004, 09:49 PM
Anyone have any experiences with cracked slides on the AT2000 Police Special? A friend of mine owns one and the slide cracked. Rocky Mountain Armoury seems to be unable or unwilling to help.

Pilgrim

Dacos
June 2, 2004, 11:24 PM
Rocky Mountain Armoury sucks. I have tried to get info from them several times to facilitate a sale of 2 Sphinx's I was interested in. Zero help. They have promised website development for almost 1.5 yrs now and nothing has happened. Sphinx made a big mistake selecting them as a U.S. distributor. I would send an e-mail to Felix at Sphinx systems in Switzerland for assistance and mention the problem with Rocky Mountain Armoury. - Dacos

Pilgrim
June 3, 2004, 01:40 AM
I take it Felix is the CEO of Sphinx Systems. I met the CEO at the SHOT Show this year and told him of my friend's problem. The CEO said that yes, there was a design problem with the AT2000, and if my friend would contact him he would see to it that she received a new slide for her pistol.

She contacted him but apparently he doesn't follow up on his promises. She was referred to Rocky Mountain Armoury and some guy named Wipf(?) and the best they could do is suggest she pay $750 for a conversion kit to bring her AT2000 to current improved specifications.

She can buy an new CZ-75 for $500.

Pilgrim

Dacos
June 3, 2004, 02:14 AM
That sucks all around. If there's a design problem, Sphinx should admit it and pay for the repair. I believe Felix, whom I have only conversed with via e-mail, is the COO of the company. Best of luck!

Euripides
June 3, 2004, 06:35 PM
I bought my Sphinx AT2000 Police Special in October 2002 from the original owner. What a beautiful weapon! It handled so nicely - even off-hand! I practiced with it once a month to keep my skills in top form.

Then, about April of 2003, it wasn't performing accurately. Thinking I must be at fault, I had a friend - a retired law enforcement firearms instructor - fire it to see what I might be doing wrong. It wasn't the fault of either of us. We took it to a gunsmith and he found there was a very small crack between the ejection port and side rail. The weapon had not been dropped - even if it had, this damage would not have occurred where the crack was located.

I have since stopped firing it, thus to avoid further damage (or personal injury). I contacted SphinxArms in July of 2003 by email. Mr Wipf responded and admitted there had been random manufacturing flaws in the production of this weapon. He said he would get back to me and try to provide some assistance or a solution.

In the meantime, I found their U.S. distributor in Colorado - Rocky Mountain Armoury. After a discussion with them, I found they were unwilling, unable and lacked inventory to repair my weapon. Essentially, they blew me off.

The SHOT Show was held in Nevada in February this year, and my friend attended the show and happened to meet the CEO of SphinxArms - a Mr Armin Landolt, who expressed an interest in resolving my problem.

I sent Mr Landolt an email, once again explaining the problem and asking his assistance. Apparently, my email was handed off to Mr. Wipf, who sent me another weak excuse and apology. He suggests that I buy a conversion kit for $700 (!!). (I'm thinking........and my friend voiced the question.......what will THAT do? Turn it to gold??) I could buy a brand new CZ-75 for $500! In the meantime, I bought a S&W Mod. 3913 compact, in excellent condition, for less than that, for personal protection. I KNOW Smith & Wesson stands behind their product!!

I sent a letter to Mr Landolt yesterday, via U.S. mail, registered, expressing my disappointment in their lack of aftermarket service. I feel they should replace the weapon.....or at the very least, send a replacement slide complete with sights, so that my weapon can be repaired. The slide is NOT a BATF controlled item.

I am also contacting my local Senator regarding this company's poor import/aftermarket practices. I am also writing the NRA and other gun magazines to let others know of the problem I am experiencing.

I am now waiting to see what transpires.
Euripides

QB
June 3, 2004, 11:16 PM
Manual Wipf is the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Sphinx.

I was working with him to purchase several Sphinx handguns once they were going to be imported again. It all fell through due to the pathetic US importer. I'm not sure what the US distributor is doing.....but it sure isn't selling Sphinx handguns. At one time I had SIX different models configured and sent to Mr. Wipf for a heads up on my "pending" order.

Well, suffice it to say, not more Sphinx handguns for me.

I have an all palladium AT2000 PS and it is indeed gorgeous (pic posted earlier in this thread).....but I surely won't shoot it much (if at all) since I've read about the slide crack problem. I wasn't aware of any of that before now.

Bummer!!!!!

Dacos
August 8, 2004, 12:19 PM
It appears that Sphinx has dropped Rocky Mountain Armory as their U.S. distributor, probably 'cause they sucked. I believe this assumption is accurate b/c they are no longer listed as such on their Swiss webpage and I know Sphinx's CEO has rec'vd several complaints against them. Unfortunately, no alternative supplier is listed - in fact the U.S. has been delisted, further suggesting their severance with the distributor. The next question is will Sphinx pursue another party as its U.S. distributor? I believe the answer is yes, given the size of the market. Just hope the ATF doesn't give them add'l headaches; curious if they're approval still applies regardless of distributor. Hope the next entity they deal with is responsible regarding its marketing plan, operations, and customer service... Dacos

Walther P99
August 25, 2004, 11:43 PM
I'm actually glad that Sphinx dropped RMA, although I won't be able to lay out $1,000+ for a gun for a while. I agree, RMA did suck. I contacted them once by phone and a few times by email and they were unresponsive and unhelpful, to say the least. I actually had to complain to Manuel Wipf at Sphinx about RMA's unresponsiveness, and lo and behold, the next day I got an email response, albeit vague, from Felix at RMA. I kind of feel sorry for the other lines RMA "sells" as well. I'd expect RMA isn't doing anything for them as well.

Hopefully, Sphinx will find a good supplier and be able to actually sell handguns in this country. And it would be nice if I actually had the money to buy one...

Dacos
September 30, 2004, 11:30 PM
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=257152&postid=2956884

Wonder when Sphinx will have a new U.S. distributor, when the 3000 Titanium will be on the market, and when the .45 version will be available?

Dacos

QB
October 1, 2004, 12:07 AM
Well I've given up all hope.......my poor little AT2000 Police Special (palladium) will have to be my only prized Sphinx..... :(

Dacos
May 3, 2005, 02:34 AM
I've been more patient regarding these pistols than practically anything else I can recall... now here's the latest: I contacted Sphinx regarding the possibility of purchasing a Sphinx AT-2000S, which is notoriously difficult to find and Sabre Defence (the new U.S. importer) denied any possibility of ordering one. I have a Sphinx AT-2000P which is damn accurate and probably has the best DA/SA trigger I've ever felt. Here's Manuel Wipf's response to my e-mail:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Generally, our US Distributor Sabre is right, as we don't have the series 2000 in our acitve selling programm anymore. Our website will be adjusted accordingly soon as it still lists this model.

But, as the models 2000 as well as the 3000's are considered "Swiss Ordonance Pistol" we have to keep up service and parts for the next years anyway. So if you really want to, we could produce your requested 2000-S. Beginning this September we will distribute our models 3000 in the US on a limited base. The following models will be available for US on regular basis:

- 3000 Tactical, 9mm, steel / steel, with decocking lever and fixed sights, all stainless or two tone
- 3000 Standard, 9mm, steel / steel, with decocking lever and fixed sights, all stainless or two tone
- 3000 Tactical, 9mm, Alumnium, with decocking lever, fixed sights, all black
- 3000 Standard, 9mm, Steel / Alumnium, with decocking lever, fixed sights, all black

Any other requested models, like your 2000, will be upon special request only and based upon individual pricing accordingly to our export price philosophy.
But, I would recommend to you to consider the 3000 Standard, Steel / Alu all black which you will eventually appreciate more than our model 2000.

Don't hesitate to contact me anytime.

Best regards,
SPHINX SYSTEMS LTD.

No I haven't tried their 3000 model (I think it's damn ugly) and I really like an all steel firearm so his suggestion, though nice, will be declined. Not sure if it's worth the hassle but I'll probably ask what the going rate is for the 2000-S. Hell, I've only waited a few years... Dacos :rolleyes:

QB
May 3, 2005, 07:43 AM
DISAPPOINTING!!!!

I'm not fond of the looks of the 3000 either. And it just isn't worth the hassle. I'm looking at the CZ Tactical Sport that will be out in 9mm in a few weeks. Sort of looks like the 3000 but at least it's available and will be easier to service should the need arise (which I doubt).

Good luck with the AT2000-S. There was a guy who had quite a few Sphinx for sale at one time on the http://www.sturmgewehr.com/ board ...I searched for Sphinx but didn't get any hits. The guys email address is paul@corp1.meganet.net. Not sure if it's still good buy you may try to contact him. I believe he had at least 2 of the AT2000-S, a few police specials, etc. All 9mm were 2 tone and he had an all palladium .40 cal Police Special (plus other .40s).

faustulus
May 4, 2005, 03:28 AM
Ooh I was looking at a 9mm TS myself.
I guess I should just wait till QB gets tired of his. :)

QB
May 4, 2005, 07:24 AM
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

BluesBear
May 4, 2005, 07:48 AM
Well, if they're willing to produce ONE...

Sounds like a good candidate for a GROUP BUY!

pippin53
May 4, 2005, 09:49 PM
Those pictures of the 2000 series look a lot like my One Pro .45, also made in Switzerland. Do you think there's any connection in the two companies? I think ASAI is now defunct. The One Pro is also a solid pistol with an amazingly smooth trigger, actually too light for combat use. It was also a whole lot cheaper than the Sphinx, more on the order of CZs.
Ken

Dacos
May 23, 2005, 01:39 AM
Pippin - there's a reason the ASAI and Sphinx look alike. Check out:
www.mtuma.ch
Same designer behind these pistols and others... Dacos

If you enjoyed reading about "Sphinx Pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!