22 long rifle

PDA

ms6852
March 19, 2011, 06:42 PM
I got hooked shooting rimfire about 3 years ago and since than I have acquired several rifles to include a Remington 513T and a 52C winchester plus a browning buckmark pistol.

In the meantime I have acquired over a dozen brands of ammo and have recorded windage and elevation for every rifle and bullet brand and various distances. It was fun experimenting than.

Now I have come to realize since most my rifles and pistol shoot one brand the most consistantly in accuracy without failure to fire I will now stock one particular brand from now on. This will make it easy to find my zero on all my weapons.

My brand is CCI varmint, what would your brand be if you only could choose one?

If you enjoyed reading about "22 long rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NavyLCDR
March 19, 2011, 06:45 PM
Wolf Match Target.

http://www.championshooters.com/store/image.php?id=478&type=T

garyhan
March 19, 2011, 06:50 PM
Winchester power point.

gary

GLShooter
March 19, 2011, 06:53 PM
Winchester Super X.

Greg

mbopp
March 19, 2011, 06:55 PM
CCI SV for everyday shooting, Wolf or SK if I want smaller groups.

22-rimfire
March 19, 2011, 06:56 PM
What is CCI Varmint?

NavyLCDR
March 19, 2011, 07:00 PM
What is CCI Varmint?

Any one of four different offerings of CCI 22 Long Rifle cartridges:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/varmint.aspx

Mini-Mags, Stingers, or Segmented Hollow Points in 32 or 40 gr weight.

22-rimfire
March 19, 2011, 07:08 PM
I went to the website too, but nothing is called CCI Varmint. :)

I would probably choose Wolf Match Target if cost was not an over-riding issue. Otherwise, I would choose CCI Mini-Mags.

EddieNFL
March 19, 2011, 08:23 PM
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/varmint.aspx

CCI's varmint lineup offers several loads in a variety of calibers that utilize unique bullet technologies to deliver what we covet most: devastating performance on varmints, time after time. If you can't find your ideal rimfire varmint load on these pages, it doesn't exist.

The only rimfire I shoot is a 1911 with a Marvel conversion. It works with every brand I've tried except Federal. The cheap bulk pack Remington Golden will hold an inch at 25 and cycles the action.

cthulhufan
March 19, 2011, 08:28 PM
CCI Standard Velocity for everyday (and if I could choose only one), Wolf Match/Extra for when precision counts.

USAF_Vet
March 19, 2011, 08:30 PM
I like CCI minimag when I can afford it. Winchester super X or Remington gold when I can not.

kk0g
March 19, 2011, 08:35 PM
My Ruger 10/22 loves CCI Standard Velocity, then I discovered it likes the considerably cheaper CCI Blazer just as well........... bonus! CCI makes some of the best rimfire ammo in my opinion.

Rembrandt
March 19, 2011, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately the one ammo all my target .22's excel with is......Ely Tennex. (ouch $$$$)

Jeff F
March 19, 2011, 09:21 PM
I'll also vote for the Wolf Match Target. It has shot good out of every .22 I have ever tried it in. Second would be CCI Mini mags and Standard velocity.

Animal Mother
March 19, 2011, 09:24 PM
Federal Bulk Pack, it's not match grade, but its the best of the bulk pack stuff.

ms6852
March 19, 2011, 10:42 PM
The CCI varmint is the mini-mag 36 grain copper plated hollow point , 1260 fps.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0031

CZguy
March 19, 2011, 11:13 PM
Wolf works the best in some of my .22s, but others like CCI mini-mags. And I even have an old Marlin 60 that (who knows why) prefers Remington ammo.

If you have several .22s like I do. I think that it would be difficult to find one ammo that would work in all of your guns. But if you did, I would load up on it.

NavyLCDR
March 19, 2011, 11:18 PM
Unfortunately the one ammo all my target .22's excel with is......Ely Tennex. (ouch $$$$)

I entered a 100 yard benchrest rifle competition with my Ruger 10/22. Mine was the only rimfire rifle out of the 12 entered. The other guys had $1,000+ rifles in everything from .223 to .308 with the optics to match, all hand loaded ammunition, spotting scopes, $100+ benchrest setups.

I took 2nd place with Ely Tennex Pistol ammo. :D I was HAPPY!

I was lucky, there was NO wind. We shot 4 groups of 10 rounds each. My first group was all 10 in the 10 ring with 8 in the bullseye "X" ring.

My 10/22 has an Adams and Bennett bull barrel, Fajen thumbhole stock, KIDD two stage target trigger set at 16oz/8oz, BSA Sweet .22 scope.

Gaffer
March 20, 2011, 10:00 AM
Guns are just like us and have likes and dislikes. Some guns will do well with just about any .22rf while some have very particular tastes for a specific brand. Some even are fussy down to the lot of a particular brand. The fun is trying to find that magic one that will make a gun give one hole groups. Some competitive shooters will try single boxes sold by ammo dealers and then buy that lot by the case when they find that one that really sings in their gun. Wahoo!

22-rimfire
March 20, 2011, 10:13 AM
Good shooting NavyLt.

medalguy
March 20, 2011, 12:39 PM
Anything but Remington. Of the bulk stuff I've found the Federal works best in my .22's.

22-rimfire
March 20, 2011, 01:02 PM
I find it interesting how many 22 shooters only shoot bulk 22 ammo. I have some, but only use it to plink with. So yes, I usually take a pack of Federal bulk ammo with me when I go out shooting at the range, but seldom shoot it. I do use it for testing purposes at times as I would love to see the same degree of precision with it as other more expensive HV 22LR ammo. My general purpose 22 ammo is the Federal Lightning (Load #510B) from Walmart. If I am "just shooting", I often just use the 510's. I keep a good supply on hand.... probably 10K rounds of it which far exceeds any bulk ammo I keep around. I buy the bulk as I use it up.

Furncliff
March 20, 2011, 01:08 PM
I shoot rimfire almost exclusively. SK standard plus, seems to be the most accurate in most of my bolts. The most accurate is a Brno#1. I have a Marlin 60 that comes scary close though. Amazing for a $160 rifle.

For blasting away I use Blazer HV. Dunn's has a great price on these $160.00/case ... shipped. And I found them to be consistent and fairly accurate.

http://www.shopdunns.com/products/1847/blazer_cci_high_velocity_22lr_case/

Calibre44
March 20, 2011, 02:13 PM
I've tried a number of brands and have settled on RWS. Bit pricey but very accurate, never had a mis-fire and the bullets are lubed,
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/woodsy_2008/Guns/misc005.jpg

cthulhufan
March 20, 2011, 02:22 PM
I've tried a number of brands and have settled on RWS. Bit pricey but very accurate, never had a mis-fire and the bullets are lubed,
You know, I have a few boxes of that RWS laying around, I really need to try it...

Thanks for reminding me :)

ms6852
March 20, 2011, 03:40 PM
That is good shooting NavyLT. There is alot to be said about the right ammo for that specific ruger. My 10/22 does not like of all things the wolf match target or anytype of winchester round. My other rifles like some RWS no winchester and some wolf brand ammo. None of my rifles like Eley unless it is the one in the black box, $$. But for general plinking and all hunting every one likes CCI mini mag Varmint; this rounds perform well even at 200 yards and fiocchi performs extemely well at 240.

VancMike
March 20, 2011, 03:58 PM
I'm guessing you all notice the same phenomena: when I switch brands or even different types within brands, it takes at least 10 shots before the barrel settles down to a point of aim for that particular type.

That being said, the most accurate of my .22s is a Win Mdl 75, which will put many bullets into one tiny hole. SK Standard and various Eleys are the best, but also a shout-out to Federal bulk (which also shoots well in my various pistols and a Ruger 10-22).

But one of the most accurate in the Mdl 75? Remington, bulk Cyclone. Almost no difference (in that rifle) than some very expensive target ammo. Go figure.

ms6852
March 20, 2011, 05:13 PM
The reason I finally decided on CCI mini mags for all my rifles and pistols is that as I aged my memory loss increased exponentially. These are my reason for CCI:

1. Easy to remember what my zero is at 50, 100, and 200 yds. POI for different brands always required different adjustment, i.e. 6 moa to 12.5 from 50 to 100 give or take a couple of moa. Now I will remember what each one will shoot with one brand.

2. Cost ratio for me is acceptable. Paying $6.99 for 100 rds of CCI vs $10 dollars of wolf match or eley for 50 rounds.

3. Since pinpoint accuracy is not crucial CCI provides very acceptable accuracy at distances up to 200 yards for me. This is crucial because now when shooting my pistol at 25 yds I no long have to adjust my red dot for each particular brand.

4. When shooting groups the only thing I am giving up is sub moa accuracy at 50 or 100 yds. For me moa or just a little over is still plenty good for rabbit or squirls and for clay pigeons at 200 yds.

Bulk ammo is cheap and in consistant but still has one or two uses for me. First it is a good way to practice your weak hand shooting, without breaking the bank, and Secondly, it is a good way to get yourself on paper when trying out a new scope or gun.

Magoo
March 20, 2011, 08:50 PM
Wolf Match for the Kidd 10/22 and Federal Bulk for the Buckmarks. Still looking for the ammo for the new 10/22 build. Only one range session with it, but the Federal "Match Grade" bulk was almost as good as the Wolf Match. If I were plinking or shooting offhand, I'd bet the Kidd would shoot most anything as well as anything else.

CZguy
March 20, 2011, 11:35 PM
22-rimfire,

I find it interesting how many 22 shooters only shoot bulk 22 ammo.

I do shoot a great deal of Federal bulk ammo. But that's because I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot in my backyard. I've come full circle in life and have rediscovered rimfire shooting. I grew up plinking with a .22, with my family on Sunday afternoon's. Now I drive once a week or so to a nice range to compete, but I still get the most fun from shooting at spinning disc's at various distances with iron sights, in the back yard. My go to rifle is a CZ 452 Lux, that I had to add a Lyman receiver sight to because of aging eyes.

At least some of this was on topic. :o

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/CZpeepsight.jpg

One last thought.....if you have eggs that have expired in your fridge, hard boil them and use them for targets. They explode.

doc2rn
March 20, 2011, 11:55 PM
Fiocchi holds the best groups in my .22s, with CCI a close second, and Federal Match in the 325 pack a close third.
I really need to find some Wolf and give it a try. Seems like it has a good reputation.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 long rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!