NAA supercompanion and Bulleye : cap leaks

PDA

flibuste
March 20, 2011, 10:45 AM
Hello,

I have tried smokeless powder in the percussion "supercompanion" but there is a problem : the caps are not resistant and they split with pressure leaks.

The consequence is that the combustion is very irregular going from smokeless powder not ignited until full power.

I have tried different brands of percussion cap but it does not improve matters.

How to obtain complete sealing at the nipple during ignition ?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA supercompanion and Bulleye : cap leaks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Acorn Mush
March 20, 2011, 01:41 PM
Flibuste,
Some years back an Italian manufacturer was making caps out of brass which were very stong. They used to be imported into the U.S. by Dixie Gun Works and CVA. If you could somehow find this type of cap it would probably solve your problem.

Perhaps if you asked some of your shooting associates they could put out the word you are looking for brass caps. Good luck.

Busyhands94
March 20, 2011, 03:44 PM
i am thinking about getting a spare set of nipples for mine (when i finally get it) and boring out the nipples to accept pistol primers. you might be able to do that if you have and metalworking experience. also you can use triple 7 and it is still pretty dang good. not as powerful as bullseye but it should work fine!

Busyhands94
March 20, 2011, 07:49 PM
also, i am no expert but i have heard that some caps just tend to fragment upon detonation. i am not sure this is normal but i heard that it happens. i know that it sure does happen with my Remington rider pistol, i use plastic caps because i prefer to keep small metal bits out of my flesh.

batjka
March 20, 2011, 10:50 PM
How easy is it to get Bullseye in France? I know a cap and ball pistol can be carried without a permit, and a Companion with Bullseye does make a nice companion (pun intended). Is Bullseye sold in stores? Does one need a permit for the purchase?

Hope your problem with caps will be resolved soon. A regular Companion doesn't have this problem when shooting with Bullseye. At least not in my experience.

makos_goods
March 21, 2011, 12:22 AM
All caps split. It is the nature of percussion pistols. Even if it doesn't split it doesn't seal the flash hole completely.

Regards,
Mako

flibuste
March 21, 2011, 04:05 PM
Actually, in France Bulleye is not available so I use the "fastest" available powder : "BA 10"

regards

BHP FAN
March 21, 2011, 08:06 PM
Why not use 4F?

arcticap
March 21, 2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=53596&d=1171911769

Here's the discontinued brass caps mentioned by Acorn Mush that were distributed by CVA.

In the following thread, DaveP (UK) mentioned buying some similar brass Italian ones named Coach Harness caps by Fratelli Summonte.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=256474

Some Coach Harness caps were recently being auctioned on ebay.ie (Ireland) and didn't sell. Maybe the seller still has them and can be contacted:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110655431180

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA supercompanion and Bulleye : cap leaks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!