Officials said the compound bow and arrow is as powerful as a machine gun

PDA

afponiky
March 20, 2011, 01:32 PM
Read this..... http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/interstate-90-police-chase-ends%2C-but-not-before-it-goes-through-four-counties-

Hmmm, this should get the anti's going in another direction.

If you enjoyed reading about "Officials said the compound bow and arrow is as powerful as a machine gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
March 20, 2011, 01:35 PM
Hyperbole taken to the absurd or just an absurd level of stupidity.

jerkface11
March 20, 2011, 01:39 PM
How does one quantify the power of a machinegun?

chevyman097
March 20, 2011, 01:49 PM
A compound bow/machine gun would be awesome!

NG VI
March 20, 2011, 01:59 PM
What caliber machine gun?

Does it shoot arrows as well?

bigalexe
March 20, 2011, 02:03 PM
That made my day.

Owen Sparks
March 20, 2011, 02:09 PM
Bows and arrows are more deadly than you might think. A modern hunting broadhead will defeat a bullet proof vest, pass completely through the man wearing it and exit through the other side. It will do so silently. In trained hands a compound bow is at least as accurate as a handgun and can repeat about as fast as a single shot hunting rifle.

thunder173
March 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
BS....where do these maroons come from,......???

WalkAbout
March 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
Bows and arrows are more deadly than you might think. A modern hunting broadhead will defeat a bullet proof vest, pass completely through the man wearing it and exit through the other side. It will do so silently. In trained hands a compound bow is at least as accurate as a handgun and can repeat about as fast as a single shot hunting rifle.

Obviously we need to regulate, license, control, and even possibly ban them. Oh the humanity.

b

jerkface11
March 20, 2011, 02:20 PM
I once saw Rambo kill like a thousand guys with a bow and arrow.

Owen Sparks
March 20, 2011, 02:39 PM
I saw a physics demonstration of sectional density once where an archer took a gallon milk jug full of sand and shot an arrow through it with a regular old fashoned wooden long bow. He then shot the same jug with a 1911 and put several .45 slugs into it and none of them exited! He then shot a bullet proof vest hanging on a clothes line and the arrow passed completely through it and kept going.

bhk
March 20, 2011, 02:41 PM
Yah, but that second shot is pretty darn tough with a crossbow!

pbearperry
March 20, 2011, 02:44 PM
Clearly the Official that made this absurd statement is an expert in his own mind.

B yond
March 20, 2011, 02:59 PM
i think i saw a cossbow machine gun in a hollywood movie once... it may have been a vampire movie...:scrutiny:

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 20, 2011, 03:00 PM

The Rainbow :D

Owen Sparks
March 20, 2011, 03:06 PM
Bows are impractical for most criminal use because they are big and slow to get into action and require a lot of practice but make no mistake, being run through with a hunting broadhead is about as deadly as being shot. I could see using a bow and arrow as a defensive weapon against a home invader if you could not get a firearm. I know one individual who had a drug conviction in his youth and is prohibited from owning a firearm so he keeps his hunting bow beside the bed. The idea is that if someone kicks down his door he will still have more than enough time to string and draw his bow before the bad guy breaks down the door, makes it up the stairs and down the hall to his darkened bedroom.

Unistat
March 20, 2011, 03:10 PM
i think i saw a cossbow machine gun in a hollywood movie once... it may have been a vampire movie...:scrutiny:
"VanHelsing" with Hugh Jackman & Kate Beckinsale. A horrible train wreck of a .

Toaster
March 20, 2011, 03:15 PM

Uh..morons?

afponiky
March 20, 2011, 03:22 PM
Now the newspapers have changed the story. No mention of machinegun in the article at all now.

Haa Haa........

Standing Wolf
March 20, 2011, 03:56 PM

Selective inbreeding.

BleysAhrens
March 20, 2011, 03:58 PM
What? Huh?

CajunBass
March 20, 2011, 06:20 PM

Uh..morons?

You never watched many Buggs Bunny cartoons...did you?

mljdeckard
March 20, 2011, 06:35 PM
I used to carry my compound bow concealed, but I had problems with printing. And of course there was the endless debate over whether or not you should carry it in condition one. Of course I explain to people that it is useless to carry it at all if it is empty. Then there is polymer vs alloy, and arguing over which caliber of arrow is the most likely to stop an attacker with one shot. I gave up.

Diggers
March 20, 2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah its been changed to say "extremely powerful" weapon, which is true enough I guess. They left out the slow to use and difficult to aim part though. :):)

Tommygunn
March 20, 2011, 07:03 PM

A biography I was reading about George A. Custer a number of years ago pointed out the power behind even what the Indians used back then; an Indian hunter, on horseback, aimed his arrow at a buffalo and shot it broadside. The arrow went completly through the buffalo and into a second. There, it stopped, but it had enough power the arrow was coming out that buffalo's other side. This second buffalo stumbled into a third which was abreast it -- and, you guessed it, drove the arrow into a third buffalo.:what: Yup. A "three fer." Okay, the third was pure luck.... but still going through one and partially exiting a second buffalo is pretty powerful.

gamestalker
March 20, 2011, 07:12 PM
Such a remark is just plain and simple, ignorant! There is no doubt a compund bow does produce lethal capability, but a broad statement such as that is unsupported, lacking any factual element. A baseball bat is potentially lethal too, but can't be compared to a firearm.

Pronghorn
March 20, 2011, 07:23 PM
http://steelcloset.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/van-helsing-crossbow.jpg

this must have been it. Scary stuff...

EddieNFL
March 20, 2011, 08:12 PM
You never watched many Buggs Bunny cartoons...did you?
Ultra maroons.

Owen Sparks
March 20, 2011, 09:11 PM
Arrows are every bit as deadly as bullets they are just very slow on the first shot unless you carry a cross bow and those are very slow on follow up shots. Also, as any bow hunter knows arrows don't have much "stopping power". Game shot with an arrow seldom drops on the spot but bleeds out and must be tracked a ways. In organized warefare arrows were highly effective when shot in mass and rained down on soldiers 100 yards away who were only armed with swords and spears but they would be impractical against firearms in close quarter combat where a determined man who was mortally wounded with an arrow might still be able to return fire before bleeding out.

B yond
March 20, 2011, 09:14 PM
Maybe they'll lighten up on gun laws and crack down on archers.

I hear gangbangers are doing bow and arrow drive-bys these days....:rolleyes:

Cannonball888
March 20, 2011, 09:55 PM
I once saw Rambo kill like a thousand guys with a bow and arrow.
He took out a helicopter too with what must have been the notorious .50 BMG arrow.

jbr
March 20, 2011, 10:03 PM
That does it - If it was on tv or in the news paper it must be true. I have always wanted a machine gun - but now I am going for the crossbow!!! Much cheaper to shoot also - just a win-win situation. This will get me into reloading also.

ldsgeek
March 20, 2011, 10:09 PM
They can probably kill as quickly as FMJ, and the wound, at least from a 3 blade broadhead, is much harder to repair. A demo video I saw was a hunting arrow w/broadhead puncture a steel coffee can full of sand and the body armor behind it. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

Ignition Override
March 20, 2011, 10:15 PM
Even though the classic Welsh-designed longbow, developed in secrecy and used in the English Army at the medieval Battle of Crecy (or Poitier) in France was not a compound, it changed the battlefields.
This was the Hundred Years' War.

Not only did one arrow penetrate a French knight's chain mail, but went through the thigh, a section of the saddle and injured the horse.

The nobility were not only shocked by the power, but by the accuracy of a weapon operated by common, non-noble foot soldiers. Each yeoman shot an arrow about every 5-10 seconds?

The French nobility lost the 'cream of the crop' in that surprising onslaught, and above the fallen were the hundreds or thousands of the delicate colored feathers on the arrow shafts. This is in the abridged version of Churchill's "History of the English Speaking People".

CoastieShep
March 21, 2011, 09:13 AM
All that needs to be said about that link
<facepalm>

TechBrute
March 21, 2011, 09:19 AM
Typical small-time reporter trying to make it big by inflating a story, hoping it will take her with it...

RimfireChris
March 21, 2011, 03:01 PM
I remember, it was well over ten years ago, watching on the news, a couple of guys in Dallas IIRC did a drive by with a crossbow. No one was hurt. I imagine getting ballistics off one would be pretty easy.

Red Cent
March 21, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hey Owen Sparks, what do you think was the pullweight of the compound bow Burt used in Deliverance? :cool:

mgmorden
March 21, 2011, 03:19 PM
I used to carry my compound bow concealed, but I had problems with printing. And of course there was the endless debate over whether or not you should carry it in condition one. Of course I explain to people that it is useless to carry it at all if it is empty. Then there is polymer vs alloy, and arguing over which caliber of arrow is the most likely to stop an attacker with one shot. I gave up.

I think the real question is if you were carrying with it cocked and locked or not.

tarosean
March 21, 2011, 03:27 PM
i think i saw a cossbow machine gun in a hollywood movie once... it may have been a vampire movie...

mythbusters made one.

Red Cent
March 21, 2011, 07:10 PM
Heeelllllooooo Owen. Two people were shot with the arrow and neither exited. Must have been mouse load arrows:D.
Archers who travel to Africa with the bow do something like put a 2112 arrow inside a 2512. Some load the arrow with sand. They are seeking deep penetration.
Easton and others make "solids" for bowhunting dangerous game.

The choice of an arrow with slicing edges up to three inches wide or a 45acp with wound trauma makes you think. Can I have a couple of days to think about it?

gordy
March 21, 2011, 09:17 PM
A bow and arrow has killed every animal that walks this planet. Except a yeti, and as soon as a bow hunter can find one, it will be dead.
From squirrels to elephants.
Check out the Pope and Young web site. See the records for yourself.
I just got done shooting a archery league, and saw some really good shooting.
3D will start soon and some really good guys will take to the woods to kill foam deer all over America.
A new compound will reach speeds of 350 fps with a 350 grain arrow. At 70lbs of pull.
There are a few crossbows that will reach 400 fps.
My Bow-Tec at 53 pounds of pull, will get a 365 grain arrow going right around 285fps. It has a let off of around 70%. I can turn it up to 70lbs if I want to.
Not bad for a stick and a string.
They are no 30-06 but will do the job just as good.:)

Hardware
March 21, 2011, 09:53 PM
You know these discussions always degenerate into the "Compound Bow vs. Crossbow" argument. :neener:

shep854
March 21, 2011, 10:58 PM
If I ever sustain a serious wound, I hope its a gunshot. Cuts (and that's what an arrowhead does, through and through) are harder to treat than holes. Anything with an edge justifies shooting, IMO.

revjen45
March 21, 2011, 11:25 PM
Sounds like that's what cops told the newsweasels, who wil parrot anything from an "expert" and know nothing about the subject matter. I saw one article referring to an "assault submachine gun." For sheer concentrated twaddle it's hard to beat the Lamestream Media holding forth on guns.
Yup - "maroons" according to Bugs.

Airburst
March 21, 2011, 11:40 PM
mljdeckard

I used to carry my compound bow concealed, but I had problems with printing. And of course there was the endless debate over whether or not you should carry it in condition one. Of course I explain to people that it is useless to carry it at all if it is empty. Then there is polymer vs alloy, and arguing over which caliber of arrow is the most likely to stop an attacker with one shot. I gave up.Dude, I am disappointed that you gave up so easily. You obviously were not using the correct holster. I carry my broadsword concealed and the only comments I get are usually from hot women that ask-"Is that a broadsword in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" :what:

:p

MICHAEL T
March 22, 2011, 12:54 AM
Officials say the compound bow and arrow is an extremely powerful weapon. Police say Black is also a psychiatric patient who isn't taking his medication.

I see no reference to a machine gun any where in the story.. Why add what isn't their

kayak-man
March 22, 2011, 01:01 AM
In trained hands a compound bow is at least as accurate as a handgun and can repeat about as fast as a single shot hunting rifle.

I may be splitting hairs here, but actually, a compound bow is, in my opinion, more acurate than a handgun, at least in terms of acuracy per hours spent practising. A decent compound, with a peep sight, front sight, and trigger release, using arrows tuned to it, is going to take less time and training to become proficient in its use, than a handgun. At least thats been my experiance.

They are no 30-06 but will do the job just as good.

I don't know. I've heard a lot of people say that 30-06 would not work for elephant, but Howard Hill took 3 with a long bow.

Just saying...

i think i saw a cossbow machine gun in a hollywood movie once... it may have been a vampire movie...

It wasn't the endish scene in Serenity, was it?
Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

mgmorden
March 22, 2011, 01:09 AM
I see no reference to a machine gun any where in the story.. Why add what isn't their

Based on the comments in the thread it looks as if the story was changed/edited after the thread was started in order to remove the reference.

Kaeto
March 22, 2011, 07:41 PM
Airburst said:
Dude, I am disappointed that you gave up so easily. You obviously were not using the correct holster. I carry my broadsword concealed and the only comments I get are usually from hot women that ask-"Is that a broadsword in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

I carry my cutlass concealed under my black trench coat. Nobody notices it until I pull it out to take somebody's head.

Airburst
March 23, 2011, 12:09 AM
Kaeto

I carry my cutlass concealed under my black trench coat. Nobody notices it until I pull it out to take somebody's head.
When the ladies see the broadsword, I end up taking their virginity.;)

Remo223
March 23, 2011, 12:15 AM
Bows are impractical for most criminal use because they are big and slow to get into action and require a lot of practice but make no mistake, being run through with a hunting broadhead is about as deadly as being shot. I could see using a bow and arrow as a defensive weapon against a home invader if you could not get a firearm. I know one individual who had a drug conviction in his youth and is prohibited from owning a firearm so he keeps his hunting bow beside the bed. The idea is that if someone kicks down his door he will still have more than enough time to string and draw his bow before the bad guy breaks down the door, makes it up the stairs and down the hall to his darkened bedroom.
He'd be better off with a spear.

Owen Sparks
March 23, 2011, 12:43 AM
Spears are far less accurate if thrown and require you to expose yourself to potential gunfire if used as a pike. An archer can shoot from semi cover and at distiances such as down a hallway or flight of stairs. My friend also had a quiver mounted on the bow so he probably could have got off more than one shot if he was proactive. BTW, he went to court and had his gun rights restored last year and it cost him arond $800 just because he got caught with a little pot when he was 19. That was over 20 years ago!

NG VI
March 23, 2011, 12:48 AM
It wasn't the endish scene in Serenity, was it?
Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

That was a ballista

Remo223
March 23, 2011, 12:49 AM
I thought it had to be a felony to lose your gun rights?

Remo223
March 23, 2011, 12:51 AM
Spears are far less accurate if thrown and require you to expose yourself to potential gunfire if used as a pike. An archer can shoot from semi cover and at distiances such as down a hallway or flight of stairs. My friend also had a quiver mounted on the bow so he probably could have got off more than one shot if he was proactive. BTW, he went to court and had his gun rights restored last year and it cost him arond $800 just because he got caught with a little pot when he was 19. That was over 20 years ago!
I'd be worried about the fist shot being a miss. The intruder would try to close the distance if the first shot missed...actually, he could do that even if the first shot wasn't a miss. Bow and arrow is useless in melee. Spear would be plenty useful in melee.

Owen Sparks
March 23, 2011, 12:52 AM
Isn't posession of more than an ounce of pot a fellony?

Remo223
March 23, 2011, 12:55 AM
no idea. I thought you had to have "intent to deliver" to be a felony. I don't know how they determine that.

NG VI
March 23, 2011, 12:59 AM
A space ballista

NG VI
March 23, 2011, 01:00 AM
I thought it had to be a felony to lose your gun rights?

A felony or anything academic culture wants to put a spotlight on.

Owen Sparks
March 23, 2011, 01:05 AM
no idea. I thought you had to have "intent to deliver" to be a felony. I don't know how they determine that.

May well have been. He did not seem very proud of it so I did not ask any details. I do know that he to hire a lawyer and go to court to get his record expunged so that he could vote and own guns again. Last time that I bought a gun from a dealer I had to fill out a form and one question asked if I used illegal drugs including marajuana. Evidently they think that pot smokers are dangerous.

jbkebert
March 23, 2011, 01:12 AM
I am not sure about a bullet proof vest. However in hunter education classes we take a 5 gallon bucket full of sand. We shoot said bucket of sand with a 30/30 the bullet does not penatrate through yet the bullet stops within the first 4 inches. We dig the bullet out and show the class.

Next we take another bucket of sand and I shoot it with a arrow with a fixed blade broadhead. Not only does the arrow travel completly through the bucket it buried into a 6x6 post 5 yards past. Buried so deeply that two or three guys tried to pull the arrow but pulled the insert out instead. I glue my inserts with 2 ton expoy.

Out of the last 20 animals or so I have taken with a bow. Deer, Hogs, 1 Elk. Every one including the elk was a complete pass through. Those puny little sticks a strings are alot more lethal than they get credit for.

Fleet
March 23, 2011, 01:23 AM
Such a remark is just plain and simple, ignorant! There is no doubt a compund bow does produce lethal capability, but a broad statement such as that is unsupported, lacking any factual element. A baseball bat is potentially lethal too, but can't be compared to a firearm.
Yeah, but the press specializes in this sort of thing.

hiker44
March 24, 2011, 12:20 AM
Officials of what? Krispy Kreme?

If you enjoyed reading about "Officials said the compound bow and arrow is as powerful as a machine gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!