Winchester Model 37 - 16 Gauge

PDA

coebam
March 20, 2011, 02:05 PM
He everyone - Just wanted some feedback on this. My wifes Father gave me this gun years ago and it has just sat in the closet. It was the wifes Grandfathers, I'm not sure exactly how old the gun is. I decided I may want to restore it - cosmetic only - probably won't ever shoot it.

As you can see it had a hard life. My question is - will restoring it hurt its value? In its current state I would not be inclined to think the gun would be worth much.

Thoughts and opinions welcome!

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Model 37 - 16 Gauge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
March 20, 2011, 02:10 PM
Knowing how wonderful Model 37s are, and loving 16 ga. guns, I'd probably see about having it refinished and then shooting it lots. I'd check to make sure it isn't extremely rare, but once the condition is that rough, I doubt you'll do damage to the value with a quality restoration.

Of course, you'll spend more than the gun is currently worth to get it fixed up, but I'd want to if it was mine.

SwampWolf
March 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
Of course, you'll spend more than the gun is currently worth to get it fixed up, but I'd want to if it was mine.

Me too-and I'd love to have one. I've always liked the single-shot, H&R Toppers, Winchester Model 37s and Iver Johnson Champion shotguns of yore. I think they'd make for an interesting and affordable way to start a gun collection.

451 Detonics
March 22, 2011, 04:21 PM
You won't hurt the value of that one with new wood and a good cleaning. 0000 steel wool with oil to remove the rust and wood from http://www.gun-parts.com/winchestershotgun/

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Model 37 - 16 Gauge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!