The annoying question, why do you wear a gun?

PDA

gamestalker
March 20, 2011, 08:15 PM
I live in Arizona, so I take full advantage of our relaxed gun laws and therefore carry every where I go, with few exceptions, as according to law. And I guess one of the most annoying question I get on a regular basis is, why do you carry a gun, or, why do you think you need one on your hip? Unfortunately most of the time this question is asked with attitude and apprehension, rather than with sincere curiosity. Often I get a lecture about how rediculous it is to think I would ever need it for self defense. I also hear about how irresponsible I am, because I'm subjecting others to unnecessary danger, because I'm not a trained LEO. I've become seasoned to this over the many years of living in this state, and thus have learned to be more effective with my response. I usually wait until they have finished there intent to put me on the spot before I respond, or if I respond, depending on how I interpret their purpose for asking. But most of the time, I'll just say, when seconds count, the police are only a few minutes away!
I don't usually share with them the time my sister and I were kidnapped and the gun she had in her purse save our lives, or the other deadly encounter's I've incurred in which my gun save my life. I've come to realize that I don't need to justify my desire to carry regardless, of the reason's or past circumstances. I simply don't waste my time with those who are simply trying to make me uncomfortable. In reality it is a very thoughtless and ignorant question, in that, it's self explanatory as to why someone would wear a gun. They wouldn't ask a police officer why he wears one, simply because it is obvious it is for self defense.

If you enjoyed reading about "The annoying question, why do you wear a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rjrivero
March 20, 2011, 08:19 PM
Why do I wear a gun? (Turn it around on them.)

Why do you wear a seat belt? Why do you have smoke detectors in your house? Why do you have a fire extinguisher in your home? Why do you have insurance?

In any of these instances, it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Arkady
March 20, 2011, 08:19 PM
Any time it comes up, I usually explain that it's because I feel responsible for my own safety, and dislike the idea of having to rely on someone else to be there for me.

For a slightly more smart-ass version: "Because the whole cop is too heavy."

NavyLCDR
March 20, 2011, 08:21 PM
If I were a crazed maniac right here and now, which I am not; and I was intending to use this gun to shoot as many people as I could, which I am not; because I was recently fired from this store, which I have not been; exactly what would there be to stop me from doing so?

If I were a criminal, which I am not; and my intention was to steal everything I could from you, which is not my intention; exactly what would there be to stop me from doing so?

beeenbag
March 20, 2011, 08:24 PM
Because it is my right and I can!

SharpsDressedMan
March 20, 2011, 08:32 PM
Like you, I resent that question, when accompanied by "attitude". My personal point of view gives me a slight advantage when answering the question: I am a retired cop, and have attained a very high level of competency with a handgun, most ANY handgun, and have established my reputation as a shooter. I have lots of LE acquaintences, and they know that few of their kind in this neck of the woods could outshoot me. I shoot a lot; more than any SWAT or other active shooters on any departments that I know of. So for that, I answer, "Sir (or Madam), I am probably the best shot you will ever come into contact with. I was a cop for 20 years, and I know how and when to defend myself, and when to defend YOU. You are better protected by me when I'm around and armed than you would be with 9 out 10 cops. No need to thank me." In other words, I'm a real smartass, but I can back up my claim, it they ever feel big enough to call me on it. I resent any small minded person offering an opinion on self defense,when they obviously know nothing of defending themself, and ride the trust of some luck of the odds that it will never happen to them. Pass the buck to the police? Yeah, five minutes after the assault is over, maybe. Maybe they'll take a report. So, you can be polite to people with those types of question, or you can mount an aggressive counter to their emotional and verbal assault concerning your RIGHT to carry.

mgkdrgn
March 20, 2011, 09:02 PM
Any time it comes up, I usually explain that it's because I feel responsible for my own safety, and dislike the idea of having to rely on someone else to be there for me.

For a slightly more smart-ass version: "Because the whole cop is too heavy."
Because a cop won't fit in my pocket and I hate having to clean out the donut crumbs.

General Geoff
March 20, 2011, 09:06 PM
The most direct and correct answer is:

"In case I need to shoot someone!"

armoredman
March 20, 2011, 09:09 PM
I am also in AZ, have been my whole life, and nobody has ever lectured me like that! When it was open carry only, most LE asked what caliber, what brand of ammo, etc.
When we got CCW in '94 I went that route and never looked back. I can open carry, of course, but choose not to.
As for my answer, why do you carry a gun, because the courts have held the only one who can be held responsible for my protection is myself, not police fire or military. Other answer is I work in prison. I look into the eyes of Evil every day, and Evil gets out on parole next Tuesday.

B yond
March 20, 2011, 09:11 PM
In case I need to shoot someone or something.

All kinds of dangerous critters out there.:scrutiny:

Sky
March 20, 2011, 09:11 PM
Many can not fathom anything to much out of their comfort zone. They have never been threatened or felt they needed a weapon.

How many women carry anything for self defense or old guys carry a cane or anything but their wallet? The majority of humankind does not confront a problem until it is upon them with outcomes sometimes not of their choosing. These are the ones asking you why you carry "probably" in most instances. Because they can not think about something or someone doing harm to them or theirs. That kind of stuff always happens to someone else.....

My father is 85 and was the last guy alive in his squad twice!! He was a machine gunner for uncle Patton during the great patriotic war. You would think he would be interested in some form of protection. But not really. The only time he ever was confronted was in Florida by a couple of dudes who wanted his money. He just reached in his pocket and threw 5 one dollar bills at them and took off in the other direction. That was almost 30 years ago. It worked for him.

He grew up on a ranch and has had guns all his life but these last 50 years all he has at the house is a 16 gauge single shot and a little .22 pistol. He certainly does not feel under armed and is comfortable with what he has.

Dear old Dad does not say anything when I CC but I can tell he thinks in my old age I am getting paranoid and maybe I am. Border state can do that to you sometimes.

Funny I am not afraid of getting dead it is more, "who gave you the right to take my life or property" from me? It's an honor thing for me........ I don't have the right so why do they?

Amazing how some of the biggest anti gun people change their minds when confronted with the true evil of some bad people.

"Why are you carrying? Because I can".

Almost always gets more questions.

Maybe an evil look and saying you are a blood thirsty psycho would fit their preconceived notion of anyone armed.

There are no cut and dried answers. But the question did make me think....Thanks...

Robert
March 20, 2011, 09:12 PM
I like to use a joke to break the ice.

Because a cop is too heavy...

That helps relax things a bit and then I help them understand our rights and educate them.

Owen Sparks
March 20, 2011, 09:13 PM
Because a cop is too heavy.

makarovnik
March 20, 2011, 09:13 PM
Two reasons:

1. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

2. Because I can.

If people stop applying for concealed weapon permits , the government might get the idea they wouldn't be pissing off that many people if they stopped issuing them.

Let's make sure they know a lot of people apply for concealed weapon permits and a lot of people would be upset if they took away that right.

M-Cameron
March 20, 2011, 09:17 PM
because I'm not a trained LEO.

you see...i never understood that argument.....

now i dont know how much training they may or may not go through.........but i am willing to bet you that i shoot more in a month than most LEOs shoot in their entire lives.

armoredman
March 20, 2011, 09:17 PM
Forgot to add what one friend would use.

"Why do I..you mean you're not carrying a gun? Why, man, why?"

Old Shooter
March 20, 2011, 09:22 PM
I believe I probably don't need to carry a gun.

I do carry a gun just in case I may be wrong about not needing a gun.

almherdfan
March 20, 2011, 09:27 PM
It's a reasonable question that I ask myself frequently. Bearing a life taking tool is a serious responsibility and it should be done for the "right" reasons.

My answer can be as simple as, "because I can," or it can be a fairly complex tale of personal experiences, changing world view, philosophy, sense of duty as parent/citizen, patriot, self-actualization-assesment, mid-life crisis, etc.

I love shooting. Carrying is an extension of that.

I carried cap guns as I child, I carry a 9mm as an adult.

firemanstrickland
March 20, 2011, 09:38 PM
armoredman, i agree, " WAIT!, WHAT?!?!?!?!?! YOU MEAN TO TELL ME YOUR NOT CARRYING ONE!!! wow, you must feel vulnerable......how does it feel to have to rely on someone else to provide protection and security for you and your family? especially when that person is up to his eyes in doughnuts sittin on the interstate runnin radar, your a brave soul........" ( no offense leos......just using it as a bit of an extereme example. sorry guys)

TexasRifleman
March 20, 2011, 09:40 PM
I always ask "Why do you have car insurance?"

clance
March 20, 2011, 09:44 PM
Cause it's easier then carrying a LEO around with me.

I have alot of respect for LEOs and the job that society ask them to do. But let's be real about this. LEOs generally come after the fact when it is either the bad guy or you who has a bunch of holes in them.

If you don't want extra holes that the Good Lord didn't put into you when they made you, then you carry to make sure that it doesn't happen.

22-rimfire
March 20, 2011, 09:47 PM
In reality it is a very thoughtless and ignorant question, in that, it's self explanatory as to why someone would wear a gun. They wouldn't ask a police officer why he wears one, simply because it is obvious it is for self defense.

I don't think it's thoughtles or ignorant to ask the question, nor is it self explanatory. There can be many reasons to carry a firearm. Some are legitimate and legal and others are not legal in terms of purpose.

The police can not protect you nor are they required to protect you or your family. So the responsibility falls onto the individual.

Answering with a question like TexasRifleman is a good approach.

7thCavScout
March 20, 2011, 09:52 PM
I always just ask them right back...."Is it irony or hypocrisy for you to use your 1st amendment right to criticize my 2nd amendment right?"

Tob
March 20, 2011, 09:58 PM
Questioning your right to wear/own a gun is about as preposterous as questioning their right to free speech.
For me, its as simple as that.

bobbo
March 20, 2011, 10:10 PM
Why do you wear a seat belt? Why do you have smoke detectors in your house? Why do you have a fire extinguisher in your home? Why do you have insurance?

Because the state says I have to. (I live in a rental)

:neener:

I don't carry (permit's coming, but I probably won't carry anyway... just don't feel the need), but if you feel the need/desire to, just be friendly and tell the truth, as nobody likes the stereotypical mean, scary gun owner.

2WheelsGood
March 20, 2011, 10:12 PM
"Why do I..you mean you're not carrying a gun? Why, man, why?"I think this is often the best way to drive the point home.

My wife isn't philosophically against guns, and actually she likes that I know how to use them and that they are in the house. But she's having a hard time making the leap to actually carry herself. So I explain to her that I really don't care if she never carries. But I prod her incessantly to tell me what she'll do in various scenarios if she's not willing to defend herself. It's very effective.

This method works equally well on people who ask why you carry. People simply don't think it through. Help them think it through.

I really think the seatbelt analogy is a good one. There's no guarantee it will save your life, and you may go through your whole life not needing it. But...

AK103K
March 20, 2011, 10:15 PM
If they are asking, Ive done something wrong in how. ;)

The only people who know I wear one, are my immediate family and one or two very close friends.

Frozen North
Plain truth...

There are people who will do me harm if given a chance. A police officer recommended I carry for safety. Another police officer was kind enough to help me select a pistol and teach me proper use of it.

That shuts them up.

armsmaster270
1. Because I can.
2. When danger comes and I have seconds to live, the police are minutes away.

22-rimfire
March 20, 2011, 10:17 PM
People question the right to free speech all the time. There can be consequences to free speech. Try crying fire in a movie theater to use the classic cliche and see what happens.

I have no problem with people asking why I choose to do something. I only have a problem if they ask the question inserting serious attitude behind the question to make it obvious they do not approve of you carrying a firearm.

For a few years, I didn't carry. The police suggested that I might seriously consider it.

skoro
March 20, 2011, 10:21 PM
For the same reason I keep a spare tire in my vehicle: just in case.

J-Bar
March 20, 2011, 10:30 PM
How about....

"My family and I have received threats recently. By any chance, would you know anything about that...?"

AR-yoter
March 20, 2011, 10:40 PM
I just tell everyone this " I know me, I dont know you.." or the famous one .. "you checkin out my pants" ( WA --- CCW)

BeerSleeper
March 20, 2011, 10:44 PM
"I'll thank you kindly to spend more time worrying about the content of your pants, and less about mine. Have a nice day!"

BeerSleeper
March 20, 2011, 10:45 PM
"I don't *need* to exercise my right to do this anymore than you *need* to exercise your right to ask about it. Isn't it nice that we can both do these things?"

Ala Dan
March 20, 2011, 10:50 PM
I guess my best answer to "why I wear a gun" is: because, here in Bama'Land
its my legal right. Sometimes concealed; other times openly (refer to Alabama
AG opinion #84-00205, by former AG Charles Graddick) - that is why is voted
for him for Governor~! His opinion still is in effect; unless some stupid little
city has passed an ordnance since then~? :scrutiny: :banghead: :uhoh:

JellyJar
March 20, 2011, 10:51 PM
Because there really are EVIL people in this world and the only way to prevent them from killing me or mine is by the use of proper deadly force or the threat of deadly force.

I think that some people just do not understand EVIL, well I do!!!

Ed N.
March 20, 2011, 10:51 PM
Turn it around.

"Well, I carry it just in case. Lots of bad people out there. Why don't you carry one? You're not a convicted felon, or under a restraining order, or something like that, are you? Can't you pass a background check?"

Then look like you don't believe their answer. "Suuuure, uh huh."

22-rimfire
March 20, 2011, 10:56 PM
There is definitely more evil in this world than I ever dreamed growing up in the country where nobody locked their doors or concerned themselves much about it even when they went on vacation.

I fight chaos. I seek order within the framework of our Constitution.

Deanimator
March 20, 2011, 10:56 PM
What I told my relatives at Christmas dinner in Chicago a few years ago:

Police have no legal duty to protect individuals.
Police have no legal liability with they fail to protect individuals.
Police have virtually no physical ability to protect individuals.

If you're not willing and able to protect yourself, you're just not going to get protected at all.

The police draw chalk outlines around bodies. It's your choice whether they draw one around you or around a violent assailant.

gathert
March 20, 2011, 11:04 PM
Is that a gun in your pants? No, I'm just happy to see you :)

Pilot
March 20, 2011, 11:10 PM
Because it makes me feel like a citizen, not a subject and confirms I am an American.

VA27
March 20, 2011, 11:44 PM
Smile and say, "It's a fashion statement. Don't you think it simply shouts, Don't mess with me?"

kayak-man
March 20, 2011, 11:46 PM
I dont have my carry permit yet, but I've been asked why I carry a knife or own a gun. Right now, I usually carry a CRKT M24, and before that, a CRKT M16, so I'd often get asked why I carry a "knife like that."

I usually answer with:

- So that when you're driving home and get in a car crash, I can break the window, cut your seatbelt, and get you out.

- Why aren't you carrying one?

- If you had my luck, you'd own a gun/carry a knife too.

-If you had the kind of year I have had, you'd be asking why I only have one.

-If you knew what kind of luck I have, you'd be asking why I'm not carrying a bigger knife.

- Because I lent the smaller one to a friend of mine.

Someone made a comment along the lines of "I don't see why anyone in ______ county needs a gun." I responded with "Because ______ county is the drug capitol of the state (not sure if its true, but it sounded good)

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

Lost Sheep
March 20, 2011, 11:54 PM
gamestalker
(edited for focus)They wouldn't ask a police officer why he wears one, simply because it is obvious it is for self defense.

Not the complete story. The police officer rarely uses his gun for self-defense, but it is one of certain physical tools that are named the "Tools of Arrest". Handcuffs, firearms, Taser, baton, etc. The gun is just one of those tools that enable the police to do the job required by law. You might as well ask why a policeman drives a car with flashing lights and a spotlight.

Why I would carry a gun (or, more to the point of the thread), how (or if) I would explain (in no particular order, but which answer depends on the questioner);

1) Because I can. I have the right.
2) To protect myself from people or animals who would do me (or YOU) harm.
2a A gun available immediately is more effective at preventing crime than a police officer who, perforce, will almost ALWAYS arrive on the scene after a crime or animal attack has been committed.
2b The same reason I carry a flashlight, fire extinguisher and first aid kit in my car and a digital camera, too. Just in case I need it.
3) if the question is posed as "Why a gun instead of something less controversial?". I will invite the questioner to a cup of coffee for a probative discussion if he/she seems genuinely interested.
4) If the questioner is being obnoxious or argumentative, I refrain from responding in kind. I will try my best to be a good ambassador, but I will also try to point out the lack of ambassadorship on the questioner's part. Usually, I will soft-pedal my response by asking, "I do not mean to offend you or alarm anyone. I carry for reasons of my own. Why do you ask? I might be willing to discuss the concept with you." Such an answer (though wordy) does keep the corridors of diplomacy between pro-gun and anti-gun individuals (if not the groups) open.

Reaching out to anti-gunners one at a time is probably going to be the most effective tool any of us individually can use in reinvigorating the Second Amendment.

Lost Sheep

p.s. I love it (them).

Because it makes me feel like a citizen, not a subject and confirms I am an American.

Smile and say, "It's a fashion statement. Don't you think it simply shouts, Don't mess with me?"
How about combining concepts:
"It's a fashion statement. Don't you think is simply shouts, "I am a citizen, not a subject."?

AlexanderA
March 21, 2011, 12:18 AM
The ancient Greek hoplite warriors went into battle butt naked, and put on their armor and weapons literally at the last minute (these items were often carried for them by slaves). The obvious reason for this is that it made them a lot more mobile.

The same rationale applies today. Carrying a weapon on a routine basis can be very inconvenient and restrictive. Even with a permit, I would tend to not carry unless there was a very definite perceived threat. Just my opinion of course.

General Geoff
March 21, 2011, 12:55 AM
"It accentuates my curves."

:D

Shoot66
March 21, 2011, 01:25 AM
I live in a relatively safe environment, nevertheless I carry every day. General population attitudes towards firearms are not “anti” here. If those, who know, ask me, I mostly mention something about car safety belts and better carrying a gun whole my life and not needing it, than needing it once and not having it. Moreover, I have a wife and children for whom I am responsible. Mostly I get an approving nod.

ghostwriter
March 21, 2011, 01:45 AM
well, because the stuff out in the real world that hurts needs to be kept out of reach. Therefore, I carry to gun to "reach out and touch" it without danger of getting my hands dirty in hand to hand combat, and it keeps my clothes much cleaner without blood stains.

Honestly, +1 for the "Why DON'T you carry a gun, really, why, why?"

mljdeckard
March 21, 2011, 01:55 AM
For all lawful purposes.

shiftyer1
March 21, 2011, 02:05 AM
I wish I could open carry, I can get a chl but just can't bring myself to do it. I keep long guns in the truck because I can but don't throw in a pistol very often.

I feel the requirements to buy a weapon are sufficient enough. If I can trust you enough to let you have a weapon why should I worry how you carry it?

nyrifleman
March 21, 2011, 02:30 AM
I've always thought the best way to handle an inane question is by laughing at the asker. And "Why do you have a gun?" IS an inane question. They know why, and they are only using the question as a way of expressing their disapproval.

I've said things like "well, my boyfriend and I here use it as a sex toy." (I'm male, by the way, and not gay.)

If it's a conversation with a friend who disapproves of guns (and I have a few), I say "The chance that I will ever need it is one to a million; but I want to have it if the one in a million thing happens. Meanwhile, it's not hurting anybody and I do my best to make sure it doesn't."

gamestalker
March 21, 2011, 03:22 AM
22-rimfire. I tend to respectfully disagree with you. It is thoughtles and ignorant, as much so as asking, why do you carry a cell phone. If I need to make a phone call I have a phone to accomplish that task. It's self explanatory and plain obvious why I have one on my hip!

gamestalker
March 21, 2011, 03:29 AM
Hi Armoredman. You said you've never been asked that question, so I am inspired to ask how long you've lived in Arizona, what city do you live in, do you carry open every day of your life, do you carry every where you go, other than places that are restricted?
I've been carrying open since the early 1970s every where I go, every single day without exception, other than where restricted.

KingContraryMan
March 21, 2011, 11:40 AM
Because I don't want to be one of those who don't and later wish they had.

Arkansas Paul
March 21, 2011, 11:57 AM
Unfortunately most of the time this question is asked with attitude and apprehension, rather than with sincere curiosity.

If this were the case and I were in your shoes, I would respond, "This is Arizona. Get used to it."
If it were asked with sincere curiosity, I would explain my logic, but I have no patience for stupidity. Like ol' Ron says, you can't fix it anyway.

Gouranga
March 21, 2011, 12:27 PM
lol. I get asked that all the times here by friends and family who know I CCW. It really depends on the person asking and HOW they ask. If it is truly inquisitive and not knocking me, I will engage them in conversation. If not, I won't waste my time.

I have one Uncle who calls me paranoid in my carrying and in my other security measures I take around the home. This uncle has had his house robbed 3 times, his cars in his driveway twice and has had other instances of kids jumping into his pool and hot tub (trespassing) half a dozen times. So I got to consider the source. I mean I love my uncle to death, he is a great guy but dang!

rozziboy18
March 21, 2011, 12:35 PM
i gave up trying to convert the masses year ago, few people want to listen to a 24 year old about gun safty and the need to carry. now adays depending on the question and tone that they use i stick to just a few responses unless they seem curious, very rearly are they.

curious- the sencond amendment gives me the right to defend myself any place any time

annoyingly pestering trying to win a argument- because i can, and ill think you not to belittle my rights

anti-gun hateful- no problem, ill take you off my people to protect list. have a nice day

9 times out of ten i just ignore them or give them a smile and walk off so i dont make things worse forcing them to believe we're all abunch for crazy rednecks with guns.

PcolaDawg
March 21, 2011, 12:48 PM
All of the responses to that common question in this thread are good ones.

I always switch it around and respond, "Why WOULDN'T I carry a gun?" And look at them all puzzled, and then wait for an answer.

This forces the questioner out of his/her laziness, and forces him/her to get more specific.

If they care to answer as to why I wouldn't or shouldn't wear a gun, I'll have a better idea how to respond.

Until I know where they're really coming from I really don't know how to respond and it's a waste of time to even try. Once I DO know where they're coming from, I can then pick them apart and/or educate them, whatever the situation calls for. :cool:

pockets
March 21, 2011, 01:22 PM
I don't 'wear' a gun.
Although, I do carry a gun most of the time.

SharpsDressedMan
March 21, 2011, 01:36 PM
A soberingly good answer (already established myself as a smartass, but this would be an intelligent answer): "All citizens have a social duty for the common peace to lend themselves to some public service towards that goal. Some feel it is enough to pay taxes and rely on only the occasional presence of the police to keep them safe. Other citizens take a more pro-active service, and do not leave their safety totally in the hands of others. I am one of those. I bear a firearm, and I also bear the responsibility of being competent and safe with it. A peacefully intent, armed citizen is an asset to society, not a threat. As you know, the police are not always in the right place at the right time. I may be in the place they are not, at the right time. My being armed does not encroach on your freedom or safety, it only enhances it. Give me the same respect I give you at your choice to go unarmed with my choice to go armed. By being unarmed, you place more of the social responsibility of safety on me, but I do not think less of you for it. I respect your choice."

jbrown50
March 21, 2011, 03:00 PM

because I don't want to be one of those people that the police have to put the yellow tape around.

stuckinsocal
March 21, 2011, 04:25 PM
My usual response is that I do it to exercise my rights. A right unused is a right lost.

mgkdrgn
March 21, 2011, 09:23 PM

you see...i never understood that argument.....

now i dont know how much training they may or may not go through.........but i am willing to bet you that i shoot more in a month than most LEOs shoot in their entire lives.
I believe there was an FBI study that showed that a bystander / non aggressor was 7 times more likely to be shot by an LEO than by CCW holder who intervined. Why? The CCW holder was more likely to have been there when "it" started and know who the BG's are.

grampster
March 21, 2011, 09:40 PM
I don't ever get asked because I always carry concealed. Anyone who knows I'm usually armed, are people who are also usually armed.

NMGonzo
March 22, 2011, 01:17 PM
Because I am a terrible fist fighter.

DammitBoy
March 22, 2011, 01:37 PM
Because a cop won't fit in my pocket and I hate having to clean out the donut crumbs.

Best answer ever.

skiwi
March 23, 2011, 01:52 AM
The ancient Greek hoplite warriors went into battle butt naked, and put on their armor and weapons literally at the last minute (these items were often carried for them by slaves). The obvious reason for this is that it made them a lot more mobile.

The same rationale applies today. Carrying a weapon on a routine basis can be very inconvenient and restrictive. Even with a permit, I would tend to not carry unless there was a very definite perceived threat. Just my opinion of course.
Alexander, how do you know when there is a definite perceived threat? If you have the ability to know when a threat was apparent, why would you even be there?

foghornl
March 23, 2011, 09:34 AM
"...I can't conceal a cop under my t-shirt..."

grumpy66
March 23, 2011, 09:35 AM
I always have a pistol under the seat in my pick-up, in my big truck...always one within reach.
I don't carry on my person because I am not going to jump through the beaurocratic hoops and pay the extorsion fees to exercise my rights.
In Texas, it is perfectly legal to have a pistol under the seat(if you are legal to own one).

BBQLS1
March 23, 2011, 11:07 AM

If I was going somewhere and expected trouble, I'd reconsider going.

Mainsail
March 23, 2011, 01:46 PM
Why do you believe you owe anyone an explanation? When the question is asked, you know by the tone whether they're asking you out of genuine curiosity or just to start an argument. I generally don’t discuss emotional topics with immature emotional people.

My favorite answer is, "That's my business."

txhoghunter
March 23, 2011, 05:11 PM
I was at my grandfather's farm and a friend who had come out with his family asked me the same thing. Just a coincidence that at the same time some wild dogs showed up....

I didn't need to explain myself

Maybe here in a few years when I am old enough to CCW they will need a different reason, but we'll see

mustang_steve
March 23, 2011, 05:15 PM
I don't wear a gun, my holster wears a gun.
I don't wear a holster, my belt wears a holster.
I don't wear a belt, my pants wear a belt.
I wear pants because some things are best left private, much like the original question.

Vern Humphrey
March 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
For the same reason I vote -- to exercise my civil rights.

And no one is entitled to ask another person why he does that.

mr.trooper
March 23, 2011, 06:14 PM
Take a cue from the Jeep guys:

Its a CITIZEN thing; you wouldn't understand.

nwilliams
March 23, 2011, 06:39 PM
Because it matches my shoes.

Remo223
March 23, 2011, 07:02 PM
It's a stupid question. The person asking the question knows darn well if you WERE a threat to them, they SURE AS HECK WOULDN'T STICK THEIR NOSE IN YOUR BUSINESS AND ASK YOU WHY.

And that right there should be all you need to know about that "person" asking the stupid question. They have somehow been conditioned to think a gun's purpose is for doing evil, and yet they look at you and wonder why someone like you would be walking around looking for evil to do. So they think they are going to outsmart you by asking the question when in reality they've just outsmarted themselves merely by asking it.

notasfancy
March 23, 2011, 07:34 PM
It is not comfortable but it is comforting knowing that you have one.

Grayrock
March 23, 2011, 08:35 PM
Chance gave a good response:

don't want extra holes that the Good Lord didn't put into you when they made you :

Because I don't want extra holes that the Good Lord didn't put into me when He made me

JMACDONALD
March 23, 2011, 09:07 PM
I do because because I can and fell I should, sometimes more for others than myself.

hiker44
March 23, 2011, 11:31 PM
Somewhere out there is a page and a half document on "Why I Carry A Gun". It says it all. I can post it here if anyone is interested.

BeerSleeper
March 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
interested

foghornl
March 24, 2011, 10:04 AM
Maybe you could post a link to that article, Hiker????

If you enjoyed reading about "The annoying question, why do you wear a gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!