Spam can/bulk availability ?

PDA

utbrowningman
March 21, 2011, 10:50 AM
I'd like to keep a spam can of each caliber I own as long term storage. I know 9mm is available as well as 7.62.54r. What about .22, .30-06, .30-30,
.38, and 12 ga.? Is there a spam can option for these calibers?

If you enjoyed reading about "Spam can/bulk availability ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snowdog
March 21, 2011, 10:57 AM
Sure, it's called a .50 caliber ammo can. :D

Seriously though, I'm not aware of any 12 gauge shells loaded in ammo cans. I like the idea of long-term storage too, even if for nothing more than to ensure my daughter has fodder when she's old enough to enjoy shooting (especially with the more obscure cartridges such as the 7.62x25). I solved the problem by purchasing 15 ammo cans, some Krylon tan paint and a stencil kit.

The only problem I now have is wanting more ammo cans as they're just so darn convenient!

karlsgunbunker
March 21, 2011, 05:41 PM
+1 on Military Ammo Cans

Most Eastern block calibers can be found in Spam cans.
7.62x39, 7.62x54r, 7.62x25, 8mm, 9mm, .45 acp, 9x18.

Ammo cans are fairly cheap, just add a sock full of desiccant and you are set.
http://www.goldnuggetsurplus.com/

I have a combination of Spam Cans and Milsurp ammo cans.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/karlsgunbunker/Guns/AmmoStack2.jpg

Equestrian
March 21, 2011, 09:00 PM
ammo cans are great the us gov put quite a bit of work into them and they seal up nice and tight. herter's makes modern ammo sealed in tins in a few calibers try cabellas

Snowdog
March 22, 2011, 01:16 AM
Geez Karl. Do you have a chiropractor?

My collection is heading in that direction (my 15 cans and a military-style footlocker are completely full), so I really shouldn't talk.
Lately I've found myself purchasing and reloading more than I shoot. Ammo cans seem to be the solution for me.

karlsgunbunker
March 23, 2011, 12:25 AM
Geez Karl. Do you have a chiropractor?

Nope, 3 Teenage Boys.

ArmedLiberal
March 23, 2011, 07:58 AM
+1 on Military Ammo Cans

Ammo cans are fairly cheap, just add a sock full of desiccant and you are set.
http://www.goldnuggetsurplus.com/......

Wow, I just checked out this site and the ammo cans seem wonderfully cheap, with a great price for shipping. In this neck of the woods .30 Ca. and .50 Cal cans are selling for $8 to $12 each.

joeq
March 23, 2011, 08:06 AM
Cabelas has good deals on bulk ammo from time to time. All the bulk I have bought from them came in 50 cal ammo cans. I bought some Federal buckshot in bulk for a good price.

Hopsing
March 23, 2011, 06:54 PM
If you were to join the Civilian Marksmanship Program you would then be able to buy .30-06 in sealed tins.

Owen Sparks
March 24, 2011, 12:03 PM
One problem with military cans is humidity. I inherited some ammo cans full of once fired military brass from an uncle lived just north of New Orleans. After a few years of being stored in the garage some of the brass was in really bad shape with green stuff all over it. Even though the cans were sealed air tight, they were still filled with oxigen rich humid South Lousiana air. Factory spam cans have little to no humidity and some are filled with gasses other than regular air to avoid oxigen.

rickomatic
March 24, 2011, 09:08 PM
I just saw that Fiocchi is starting to sell sealed cans of some popular types of ammo. The cans are nitrogen filled. I think 9mm, .45ACP, .308, and 5.56 were the ones they mentioned. Saw it on DownrangeTV.

Ignition Override
March 25, 2011, 12:06 AM
karlsgunbunker:

It's plain to see that you need a lot more x39 ammo before prices go up a bit.

karlsgunbunker
March 26, 2011, 12:15 AM
karlsgunbunker:

It's plain to see that you need a lot more x39 ammo before prices go up a bit.

It's an old picture, I've add a bit since then. :)

Equestrian
March 27, 2011, 07:44 PM
for humidity problems try dessicant packs there easy to get or get some bloxygen spray that should work

If you enjoyed reading about "Spam can/bulk availability ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!