Wamo Powermaster?

PDA

Canon4487
March 21, 2011, 01:45 PM
As stated in an earlier post over in the rifle section, I am new to this board. But I wanted to start a new thread reguarding this gun. I have looked online and there isn't a whole lot of info out there on it. It is a Wamo Powermaster .22 single shot. It is one hell of an ugly little thing, but neat in its own little way I guess. I found it in one of my Grandpa's drawers after he passed away. The company Wammo (the toy makers, also with (2) m's) apparently claims they did not produce this gun, but some say otherwise. I was just wondering if anyone on here had any knowledge they could share on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wamo Powermaster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
32 Magnum
March 21, 2011, 02:43 PM
It was introduced in 1956; single shot, blow back action, 10 groove rifling. Made by WAMO Manufacturing Co. (not Wammo) San Gabriel CA. There seems to be some strong connection between the ownership of Wham-O (the hula hoop people) and WAMO - sporting goods manufacturing. Some where between 4,000 and 5,000 seem to have been made. Another company also located in the same city as Wham-O was producing the Hyde Automatic BB Pistol which strongly resembles the Powermaster. It seems that both pistols shared the same frame. After the Powermaster was discontinued (1963??) Daisy bought the rights and tooling to the Hyde Automatic BB Pistol . In 1963 the Daisy Model CO2 100 was introduced as their first multi shot CO2 powered BB gun.

Here's a pic of a 1956 Advertisement:
Here's a pic taken of my example (bought from a friend in summer 1970):

Wil Terry
March 21, 2011, 02:45 PM
IT WAS made by the WAMO COMPANY, the same one who made hula hoops etc.
The gun was designed for target shooting and has an adjustable rear sight in which who push the rear sight blade around with a jewelers screwdriver. The ejector is that leaf spring underneath the bolt. The pistol is highly accurate and has a pretty decent trigger pull.
There is NO safety on the gun other than leaving the bolt back. DO NOT pull the trigger with the bolt back.

Canon4487
March 21, 2011, 05:14 PM
Yep that's the one. I was very surprised with it's accuracy when I took it to the range. Is there any value to these? Either way, it doesn't matter to me, it was my grandfathers and he left me a few other old guns that I will have until the day I die.

Canon4487
March 21, 2011, 05:16 PM
Also, thank you for posting up that ad. That is really neat to see.

32 Magnum
March 23, 2011, 01:04 PM
Canon4487,
You're welcome, thanks for thanking. I haven't had mine out in quite some time. I do remember it being quite accurate - and it felt very nice in the hand. Guess I'll have to get the old girl out of the stable and give her a run one of these days.

45Broomhandle
April 3, 2011, 08:36 PM
Anyone interested in the fascinating story about WAMO 22RFs (2 pistols, 1 rifle) should buy themselves a copy of the Ninth Annual Shotgun News Treasury, which went on sale last year. My copy cost me less than $10 from Internet Outdoors.

Author Tom Gaylord has a lengthy and VERY educational, heavily photo-illustrated, 7-page article titled "The Story Of Wham-O's Guns." It identifies and illustrates ALL the known brand names Wham-O produced various guns under, including oddballs like the Kruger, Western Haig, etc..

The WAMO brands were advertised ON THE PACKAGING of various Wham-O products, like their Slingshot. I've been fortunate enough to obtain 2 of their 3 guns, including this WAMO POWERMASTER RIFLE which, when it belonged to Tom Gaylord, was in photos used in his article.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/mauser/WAMO%20STUF/WAMOPOWERMASTERRIFLE2PICS001_edited.jpg

There is a Powermaster pistol offered at online auction now, and I recently saw a Kruger, with box, etc., at another auction which may still be running. So they're all still around - somewhere. I've yet to find the VERY elusive WAMO HAMILTON which looks like an old percussion pistol. Lemme' know if you've got an extra one laying around that you'd be willing to part with.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ 45Broomhandle

If you enjoyed reading about "Wamo Powermaster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!