Brand New Cruffler!

PDA

todayzprophet
March 21, 2011, 02:26 PM
Hey guys, I just received my C&R license today. (It only took 18 days from when they withdrew the $30 so probably 23 days after I mailed it off.) Any suggestions as to what my first moves are?? I know not to sign the original and go get 100 copies made, but, other than that, and the usual list of distributors, what are the best moves that I can make to ensure I am a knowledgeable and prosperous collector of our firearm history? :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Brand New Cruffler!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shadow 7D
March 21, 2011, 04:04 PM
Apologize to your wife now,
spend the time building racks
and line up what you want and in what order...

Check out Surplusrifle.com and Gunboards
both have a number of good rifles up every day.

OcelotZ3
March 21, 2011, 04:18 PM
You can buy more than rifles with a C&R...

Shadow 7D
March 21, 2011, 09:56 PM
Fine gun, happy
have you mailed or faxed a copy to brownells and Midway?

wrench
March 21, 2011, 11:07 PM
Get used to ramen noodles and PB&J sandwiches, it's all you'll be able to afford!:neener:
Welcome to the madness.
http://forums.gunboards.com/
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php?sid=f60df61fb3f7ea5953afa7f74987d79c

todayzprophet
March 22, 2011, 02:38 AM
Just got it yesterday so today I will be going and getting many many copies made along with some more envelopes and stamps. I have quite a list of dealers and distributors put together. Just wanting to do things right and in the right order. I know I need to order a bound book ASAP after I mail out these copies so that I will be ready for my first official purchase with my C&R. Any more tips, suggestions, or links you guys have? Oh, and my wife already told me to not be going too crazy on some spending spree so I'm on the radar with that one. One step at a time. I figure I can save enough money by taking lunch to work to get a Nagant revolver or maybe even a CZ 82 or something if I keep that habit going for a while. Thanks for any help that yall can provide.

Morrell
March 22, 2011, 06:32 AM
Congratulations on the C&R. Say goodbye to your money. Your first c&r should always be a 91/30, and why not since it is only 69.99. After that a cz 82 would be a fine second! Can't seem to put mine down

Red Tornado
March 22, 2011, 10:02 AM
Morrell's got a good order to start, maybe even reverse the two. I'll caution you to not buy a Nagant revolver unless you've handled one. I almost ordered one many times until I finally handled one at a gun show. You can't believe how bad that trigger actually is.

Also, a Swiss K-31 is a great purchase. Of course, some guys have to have one of every Mauser used in WWII. You'll need more space if you go that route. :)
RT

Morrell
March 22, 2011, 11:40 AM
Think a Nagant was my second c&r. Got it more as a curious fun gun than anything. The trigger does act as the saftey! Have you had the pleasure of firing a P64? That is another "nice" trigger, of course it can be made better by new springs. Actually use it as a ccw.

Shadow 7D
March 22, 2011, 02:55 PM
Morrell, you're MEAN
before endeavoring to fire off a full cylinder out of a Nagant, have an ice bath for your poor trigger finger when you get done. The P64 has a wicked crisp, smooth, better than most 'target' triggers, in single action, double action, well, lets just say, I thought mine had a trigger locking safety, then I thought it was broke, then I used the pull gauge, and it was over 22# VERY different from the 2.5# SA pull.

Point is, lots of cool C&R stuff out there. Some things have a poor design, and can have 'issues' but make nice wall hangers, others, some love and others hate, like the CZ52.

stonecutter2
March 22, 2011, 03:57 PM
Congrats and welcome to the fun :)

My first was a German 98k w/markings intact.

Then a 91/30 hex receiver.

I think the best part is cleaning and learning more about the guns.

Lots of neat C&R's out there right now, enjoy!

Morrell
March 22, 2011, 05:22 PM
Had the same issue my first time out with the P64. Kept squeezing and wondering what was going on... after the first shot though it was quite enjoyable. Another popular one to get would be the polish m57. Solidly built and cheap surplus ammo. Ah yes... take care with most surplus ammo as it is corrosive. Lots of ways to deal with it, including windex or hot soapy water.

A good forum for everything c&r is surplusrifleforum.com. Massive wealth of knowledge there. Just looking through the threads there is what got me into c&r firearms

OcelotZ3
March 22, 2011, 09:20 PM
I think the best part is cleaning and learning more about the guns

They are little mechanical puzzles that are fun to analyze, that's for sure. New handguns are nice in how simple they takedown, but the old stuff is just pretty cool sometimes...

wrench
March 22, 2011, 10:27 PM
Scan a signed copy of your lic into your 'puter, lots of places will accept an emailed copy of your license these days.

Shadow 7D
March 22, 2011, 10:41 PM
Wait
lets just make this clear

Sign a COPY of your C&R, don't sign the ORIGINAL unless you are about to put it in an envelope and mail back to the ATF (getting rid of your C&R)

If you enjoyed reading about "Brand New Cruffler!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!