Gun collection plan

PDA

sawdeanz
March 21, 2011, 06:41 PM
So I'm a college kid and am looking forward to purchasing my first handgun in a year when I turn 21. An experienced friend has been teaching me so I figure that by then I'll know pretty much what I want as far as caliber and such.

Recently I shot a sub gun and that was really fun. I kind of want one of those too. Perhaps the kel tec sub 2000, but then I will also be watching the taurus carbine too. I like the idea that I can practice with it at pistol ranges and share ammo with my pistol, possibly even mags depending on which handgun I get. Legally I could get this now but my mom won't be comfortable with that in the house so I would at least wait till fall when I'm in an apartment (in a dorm now).

And I'll also get a Mosin just for long range shooting or anything serious that a pcc couldn't handle (and cuz they only cost like $100)

My other plan is to constantly increase my stock of magazines so I can ride out any mag limit bans that may happen by (as I understand it they can't ban what you already have, only selling/transfer per the no ex post facto clause).

This is kind of my current plan for at least beginning my collection and entry into the sport. The handgun is the most important aspect to me, and I will be saving up for first.

Any suggestions or comments? What do you think of the utility of a pistol caliber carbine? Is it just a novelty?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun collection plan" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingpin008
March 21, 2011, 07:17 PM
IMO, something you should be thinking about is what kind of shooting do you see yourself doing. Are you interested in some form of competitive or organized shooting? Are you hunting, training for self-defense, or just plinking?

All of these things will have some bearing on what direction your collection will go. IMO, a good .22, whether it be a pistol or rifle is invaluable, especially early on. The pistol-caliber carbines are definitely fun, and can be useful in certain situations, but personally I find them to be mosly a novelty.

22-rimfire
March 21, 2011, 09:55 PM
Let's see if I understand... you are looking for suggestions for a pistol (aka semi-auto handgun). Other firearms that interest you are:
Mosin Nagent rifle
Kel Tec SUB 2000
Taurus carbine; not sure what that is but I would suspect it is similar to the SUB-2000.

Nothing wrong with having a short rifle in a traditional handgun caliber such as 9mm. One would make a very sound home protection choice. I would suspect the Taurus and the Kel Tec fill the same niche. You might want to choose one for now.

Pistols. I personally think Glocks are hard to beat in 9mm or 40 S&W and I would get the sub 2000 in the same caliber. Magazines are very plentifil also at gun shops. They are pretty economical, easy to dissamble, simple to operate, and generally pretty accurate. Plus you can use any of the mags that fit your gun and a larger model interchangably for general shooting. Some people love Glocks and others think they are ugly and don't like them. I would handle a couple and maybe shoot one. I personally like the mid size models such as the G19 or G23.

I personally would start with a 22 rifle and shoot that a while. Cheap to shoot and the skills carry over to other rifles. Get the pistol also for protection. The two should keep you busy.

I'm not crazy about Mosins. I would much rather have a SKS. At one time, they also were $100 rifles. Easier to get ammunition for them long term.

Long term, you need to think about what you want and why you want them. Are you just target shooting? Hunting? Do you mostly like handguns or long guns? What kinds of guns to you want long term rather than just thinking of the price today. What do you envision your financial resources to be like? Where are you going to shoot?

You get the idea.... Good luck.

Daveboone
March 21, 2011, 10:04 PM
A .22 rimfire rifle. Inexpensive and fun to shoot, and the shooting principles are the same for more expensive ammo. You will be able to shoot more and learn more than with any other caliber. You never grow out of them.

stnjohnson
March 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
I don't see a shotgun in this plan. IMO the most fun you can have with a firearm comes from the end of a big smoking 12 ga. bore. Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 make a great place to start for around $300. A bit more for the Remington if you get a decent used Wingmaster.

I second the .22 suggestion on principle but I do get a little bored with them sometimes. That being said, everyone should own one.

newfalguy101
March 21, 2011, 10:31 PM
Start with a .22 and build from there.

As a college student cash will be in short supply ( most likely ) but even a poor college kid can buy a box of 50 or 100 rounds of .22lr and spend an afternoon killing time ( keeping out of mischief ) :neener:

AlexanderA
March 21, 2011, 10:36 PM
You need a theme for a collection (e.g., U.S. military weapons, Colts, Smiths, etc.). I don't see a theme in what you've described. It's just an ad hoc accumulation. Nothing wrong with that, but if you remain a collector, you're going to regret years from now going off in so many different directions.

Frankly, it's become difficult for young people to become serious gun collectors, simply because prices for the really worthwhile things have gone so high. It's different if you can inherit a collection from someone in the older generation.

chrome_austex
March 21, 2011, 10:55 PM
I'd decide on your budget first, and your shooting interests as a close second... If you're serious about any particular type of competition or specific activity, the ideal starter gun is probably going to change.

If you can swing it, it might make sense to shoot the pistol for a bit, .. the spring for a better long gun or two down the road as you're starting to get tired of the pistol.

Maybe a nice savage bolt gun, or light 16" AR15. Heck, even a kel-tec SU-16 will take a red-dot for improved plinking. Maybe an AK.

The taurus looks heavy (literally twice the weight of the sub2k), and could be a gem or a lemon, only time will tell.

gearhead
March 21, 2011, 11:08 PM
22-rimfire has it correct. When I was a teen I had the luxury of my grandparents' 80 acres in the country so rifle and handgun plinking was my shooting pastime. They both passed away and the land was sold off, and I went many years without shooting. Then I got my CWP and started going to the local indoor range for practice, I realized that a plinking gun was impractical without a place to plink! So I've gotten more into target and defense handguns over the past several years, I can actually take them out and enjoy them.

There's always the temptation to go for "cool" but it loses much of its charm the fourth or fifth time you clean it without ever having fired it. If you have a place to play with the carbine or sub gun they're a blast but when you're just beginning to build your collection I think it's more satisfying to start with things you can take out and enjoy. Unless something is REALLY scarce you can always pick one up later when your situation changes.

Brock Landers
March 21, 2011, 11:14 PM
I don't see a shotgun in this plan. IMO the most fun you can have with a firearm comes from the end of a big smoking 12 ga. bore.

Agreed. There are so many reasons to own a shotgun. Cheap ammo, suitable (and some would say ideal) for home defense, no worries about legality, and loads of fun to shoot.

kayak-man
March 21, 2011, 11:23 PM
Recently I shot a sub gun and that was really fun.

Could you explain what you mean by subgun? I'm used to it meaning submachinegun, but in the context you used it, that doesn't make much sense.

As another college gun guy, heres the insight I can give you. Granted, this is just me, I'm by no means an expert so your milage may vary.

1 - either get a .22 or hand load, or both. I shoot a 9mm from time to time, and even though its one of the "cheaper" callibers out there, I can barely afford ammo for it (OK, that might have to do with me being out of work for the past 6 months, but still.) .22 is inexpensive, and you can do a lot interms of practice with a .22 hand gun and rifle.

2 - PCC's can be fun. You might want to look into the new Hi-Point carbines. They come in 9mm, 40SW, and 45ACP. I have one of thier pistols, and its as ugly as a GLOCK, but it goes bang when you pull the trigger. I'm not going to recomend that you buy a Hi-Point, because if I do, this thread will turn into a debate of those guns. Just do some research on them before you buy a PCC.

3 - Buy the gun you really want. If you settle for something, you won't be as happy with it. Just trust me on this one, its a lot easier and more financially sound to jsut save up and buy the gun you want.

4 - Don't tell people you have guns. I'm not being paranoid, but if there is one thing I could change, it would be that everyone at work knows I'm "the Gun Guy." If you want to tell people, that fine, if you want to take friends shooting, thats great, but don't tell people you have guns just because. Sorry I couldn't articulate this one very well.

5 - If you like the Mosin, great, but otherwise, I'd hold off on it a bit. ITs your life and money, so do what makes you happy and keeps you out of prison, but in FL, I don't think theres much that a PCC would not be able to handle.

6 - Get a .22 even if you do reload. I'm serious about this. .22's are a GOOD THING. They are cheap to shoot, and have little to no recoil, which makes them great for taking people shooting who haven't fired a gun before. Also, if you ever get injured, and either can't afford ammo for your PCC, or the Mosin has too much recoil for your injury to handle, you can still shoot your .22s. Again, trust me on this one.

7 -Invest in a decent safe. I love my safe, but theres this shelf in there that makes grabbing the shotgun kind of a pain. Just make sure your guns will fit, and if you have a gun for home defence, whichever one is designated for that can be accessed quickly.

8 - A thought on the PCC, don't assume that because its a PCC and shoots a pistol caliber, that all Pistol Only ranges will let you shoot it.

9 - On the utility of the PCC, I think it has its uses, but sometimes there are other guns that just do the job better. I don't think you will find it lacking as a range toy, or a home/car defence gun, but a shotgun or rifle might work better. It really depends on what you want to use it for. If you stick around THR, which I hope you do, you'll find that most open ended questions will imediately recieve a "depends, what are you using it for?"

10 - Try not to buy a gun unless you have tried it and its competitors out. Have you ever shot a Mosin Nagant? How about another high power rifle or shotgun? If not, you may be sinking $100+ into a gun that you don't really like shooting. I'd seriously recomend looking into getting a shotgun like a Mossberg or Remington before a Mosin, mainly because they have a bit less recoil, and they are, in my very humble opinion more useful. And shooting Trap&Skeet is a lot of fun.

11 - THIS IS ADDICTIVE! No, seriously, it is. I bought a riflel... and then a month later I bought another rifle... and then a shotgun... and then a pistol.... and then another pistol...

However much money you expect to spend on shooting, realize that its very likely that you will spend atleast twice that.

Long term, you need to think about what you want and why you want them. Are you just target shooting? Hunting? Do you mostly like handguns or long guns? What kinds of guns to you want long term rather than just thinking of the price today. What do you envision your financial resources to be like? Where are you going to shoot?

When you know the answer to those questions, a lot of the other aspects will fall into place, and your shooting life will make a bit more sense.

I really hope this helps, and sorry if I rambled on or if it sounded like I waslecturing/preaching.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

DammitBoy
March 21, 2011, 11:36 PM
I like my ad hoc collection that seems to have no rhyme or reason. It just seems more interesting because of the bizarre diversity of what I have in my collection.

I usually buy whatever catches my eye or piques my curiosity and sometimes I will build up a sub-category or expand upon a theme.

I do wish I had started my battle rifle of major wars collection a long time ago, instead of waiting til the last couple of years. If I had thought about it 20-30 years ago, I probably could have gotten every single one I wanted for the price of 3-4 of the ones I have now.

sawdeanz
March 22, 2011, 12:08 AM
All good replies. Kayak man had some really good advice too. Like I said I know I want to get a handgun first and I didn't start this thread to ask for which handgun. I really should consider the .22 and maybe I will buy a .22 rifle before the Pistol caliber carbine/sub gun (I don't know if this is correct terminology...I thought a sub gun would refer to any kind of semi auto pistol calibered rifle as opposed to a full auto submachine gun).
Like I said I was considering the PCC for range use (the range near me allows them and hopefully the one back home does too) but I could see how the .22 would serve the same purpose for a lot less.

Actually I really have always wanted an SKS but atm I wouldn't have a place to shoot one. Something about charging in a stripper clip and ramming the bolt home is really appealing to me in that regard. And the SKS is tied with m1 carbine in sheer desire to own one. I don't think I could pick just one theme for my (and this is much further in the future) collection.

The hi-point I was considering too, but I would want to get this ATI stock they have for it...and I was kind of turned off by its limited magazine capacity (are there any high cap mags for it?)
Next time I go to the range I had wanted to try out a .22 anyway so I will see how I like that.

I guess my shooting will be for self defense/target. My "mentor" is teaching me from a combat pistol standpoint and has been saying that eventually he would be able to take me through some courses in like a shoot house, and I'm excited about that. However I'm afraid I might just have an inherent passion in guns despite my very little physical experience with them, and that kind of translates to wanting one of everything. The question is how do I start with the practical things. It looks like that will be a handgun for defense/training and then a .22 rifle for training for a "real" rifle down the road. Then again I guess there isn't anything wrong with getting two pistols, one in .22 and one in something else.

I know some of you will say get a .22 as my first gun but I don't think I'll be happy with just that alone.

Well shoot guys now I can't decide between a .22 rifle or pistol.

kayak-man
March 22, 2011, 12:49 AM
However I'm afraid I might just have an inherent passion in guns despite my very little physical experience with them, and that kind of translates to wanting one of everything.

Welcome to the club :D

Are you sure you looked at the new Hi-Point carbines? I only ask because I know the older style ones were just as ugly as the pistol, and the ATI stock was a good fix for that. Personaly, I think the new ones look kind of sharp: http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/carbines_9mm.html

As for SKS vs M1 carbine, I'd recomend the SKS. The prices have gone up, I think ammo is cheaper, its IMO a more potent cartridge, and the SKS prices will probably only keep going up as the suply becomes more limited, while at the very least Auto Ordnance is making new reproduction M1 carbines. Considering that from what I've seen an SKS goes for about $400, you might be better off spending a little more and getting an AK variant. I believe they do make 15 round mags for the 9mm carbine, but I'm not sure about thier quality.

Assuming that your first gun is a hand gun in 9mm, 40SW,10mm,45ACP, 45GAP etc, and you wanted to get a .22, you could go either way with the rifle/pistol debate. A .22 pistol is going to translate over more towards your handgun shooting, but a rifle is fun, and may have other, non range uses (hunting, HD.) Really, it is pretty much a personal choice.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into your plans, but if theres a local trap/skeet club in your area, you could call them, and ask if they have any lowner shotguns that you can rent/barrow to shoot a round of clays with.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could probably pick up a .22 pistol for around $300, less if you buy used. Some sporting goods stores sell Marlin .22 rifles for around $100 when they are on sale, so its concievable to buy the handgun you want, and then a couple months later get both .22s.

If it makes you feel any better about the descision, I've spent the last couple months agonizing over a descision involving a 1911, a Ruger 10/22 rifle, a FAL rifle, an AR, or reloading gear and a new shotgun barrel.

At least take solace in the fact that guns are usually cheaper than boats.

sawdeanz
March 22, 2011, 01:41 AM
The new hipoint does look quite a bit better. I probably would look used for a .22, if I really can find .22 rifles for around $100 that suddenly sounds more doable, even if its a bolt or lever one.

kayak-man
March 22, 2011, 02:07 AM
My local big five currently has this on sale for $150.

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=detail&storeid=2503823&rapid=0&listingid=-2084469550&offerid=

I believe a cabelas around here was selling one of these for about $100 acouple weeks ago

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/795.asp

You might want to also look at the Buy/Sell/Trade section of THR jsut to get a feel for whats out there.

matty-vb
March 22, 2011, 09:51 AM
i was in your same spot a scant 8 years ago. in high school i had a rifle and a shotgun (small town Iowa). in college i wanted to expand my gun collection so I did get a Mosin carbine, a .22 mag rifle, a few more shotguns, an SKS, and a few pistols here and there.

fast forward to today, I highly agree with getting a .22. get a pistol and a rifle. you are certainly going to take a friend or two along shooting, and you can get hundreds of rounds for very little money. the Mosin was great for awhile but unless you have a local gun shop that sells milsurp ammo, it can be a pain to acquire, and it tends to be overkill for "fun" shooting. more or less same thing with the SKS.

a shotgun is great reccomendation, and will provide you with lots of low cost fun! it will also give you hunting and self defense purposes too. and did I mention the 12 ga is fun?

for pistols, I suppose you could look into a used Glock or something like that to get into pistol shooting and see what you like. start with a cheap gun like that to figure out what you like. play with many many guns at shows and shops before you buy though.

looking back, I wish I would have bought nicer (although pricier) guns early on, but I had to kiss a few frogs to find my princes so to speak. eventually though, you will find what you like, but I cannot stress enough on the importance of .22's early on! too much fun to be had for so little money. good luck, and happy shooting!!!

22-rimfire
March 22, 2011, 09:59 AM
I bought an Uzi carbine (9mm) new once. It had the folding stock and all that good stuff. I thought it would be a blast to shoot. So proceeded to buy 40 round magazines for it as well as other normal capacity mags. Spent a few hundred just on magazines. Even had a short barrel for it; thought about that and never installed it since it is illegal. I fondled the Uzi a lot. Bought ammo.... got together with friends to "try her out".... Worked great, but I was not impressed. I like to hit what I aim at, not sort of just hit the target somewhere. Sold it.

The moral of the story is that I generally think the pistol caliber carbine rifles are more toy than have a real purpose for me. Sure they are fun at first. But with a rifle, I at least want to be able to shoot at 100 yds if I choose to and actually hit something. Hoever, I do not group the Marlin 1894 lever guns that shoot 357 and 44 in the same catagory. You can shoot them and hit.

I would get the 22 that matches your general interest... revolver if you like revolvers or semi-auto pistol if you lean that way. The semi-auto's are generally cheaper and better built for the cost. Most 22 rifles are fairly inexpensive although my tastes have migrated to more expensive 22 rifles in recent years not that I never really disliked them before. I just could not justify spending $1000 for a 22 rifle years ago. You can't imagine how many times I picked up a Kimber Super America and slobbered over it only to put it back in the case and move on. I just couldn't let go of that kind of money for something I shot a couple times a year at that time.

"Having" a lot of guns is a great thing. But you need a place to shoot them. I think I would get the center fire handgun and 22 close together (maybe two handguns as it seems to fit your current situation) and shoot with your friend. One nice thing about handguns is that they are small and you can move them around inconspicuously. They can be placed in boxes and moved with your other stuff and nobody even knows they are there.

The other thing I would try to avoid is the buy one sell one approach. If you have a stable situation, I would rather buy fewer firearms and keep them. Things change and while you might not be able to shoot your rifles much today, tomorrow things are likely to change and you have the rifles to shoot rather than buying again.

Loosedhorse
March 22, 2011, 10:31 AM
What do you think of the utility of a pistol caliber carbine?
For what?

As a fun gun, it's fine--but then the best "pistol caliber" carbines would be in in .22 Long Rifle.

For cowboy action shooting, great!

For self-defense: if you're going to the trouble of carting around a rifle, why not get the advantages of a rifle--including caliber. .223 beats any handgun out there, and .308 is better.

Worried about over penetration? There are 40gr HPs in .223 and 110 gr HPs in .308. Yep, they'll still sail through drywall--but so do a lot of pistol calibers.

Big problem is noise when fired indoors. If you're eager to deal with the ATF, rather than a SF/FA, get a suppressed SA .223 or .308 with all the legal paperwork hoops.

Of course, if the "utility" is just fun, then that's up to you. Just remember, the saying goes, "Full-auto is the quickest way to turn money into noise!" ;)

sawdeanz
March 22, 2011, 08:40 PM
All good advice guys, thanks. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a .22 of some sort and the compactness of handguns is a big plus for me at the moment.

Baba Louie
March 23, 2011, 11:08 AM
So I'm a college kid... Does your school have any sort of shooting team or club on campus? Might look into that, tho few schools do nowadays.

Here's my 2 cents... (and worth every penny) Save up and buy quality, whatever you purchase. Something that will last your lifetime and your kids as well, as well as something you can afford to feed and shoot regularly. Seek out some good training be it rifle, handgun or shotgun.

I like old milsurp bolt action rifles. Cheap to buy, but not so cheap to feed.

My son in law loves shooting trap and skeet, that's his focus and collection plan.

My son is simply waiting for me to croak then he can have everything. That's his collection plan (and a good one if you have the patience). :D

My Dad loved milsurps but was more of a black powder wild west cowboy kinda collector, so his focus went that direction.

Some like tactical black plastic AR's or go the AK route... nothing wrong there.

Some limit their endeavour to certain brand names or action types or cartridge/ammo types (old Colt revolvers or say 1911's or Lugers or all .44 spls for example) or combo handgun carbine package deals (as you suggest in your OP, say both in .22 or .38/.357 or 9mm, whathaveyou).

Let your wallet decide, but first, finish school and exercise self control and discipline in your gun collecting. Hit the bullseye with each purchase, don't wander off target w/ flyers that do you little good in the long run (tho they are fun at the initial purchase).

And see if they have a gun club on campus?

22-rimfire
March 23, 2011, 02:59 PM
My son is simply waiting for me to croak then he can have everything. That's his collection plan (and a good one if you have the patience).

That is funny. Anyone waiting for me to croak to get access to my "collection" is in for a surprise. Most are going to be sold long before they toss the first shovelful of dirt on my cofin unless I die unexpectedly (which of course can happen). Then, there is a will and instructions... that is about the best I can do.

For the first 5 years after college, I pretty much left my long guns at home with my parents. I purchased handguns primarily because I could move them around quite easily. I went for a couple years and didn't even have a permanent residence. Worked on the road constantly. Handguns worked nicely. Things settled down eventually to something normal. Only in the last year or so did I get a couple long guns from my Dad. I thought I had moved them (or lost them) as I have had two or three houses since that first 5-year period. But low and behold, they were tucked away in my Dad's storage cabinet all safe and secure after being there for more than 25 years. Dad died not long after and I thank my lucky stars that I got them because my $!%& step mother would have sold them.

Remo223
March 23, 2011, 03:03 PM
9mm if you are going to shoot at a range. If you have access to a large plot of land with a suitable backstop, you might consider something with cheaper ammo so you can shoot lots and lots of it. That would be 22long rifle.

Talin342
March 24, 2011, 01:53 PM
I was actually thinking about a very similar topic on the way that I collected guns. I'll post the order that I aqcuired my collection and some ideas I have for future acqusitions. My interest in firearms started when I got interested in hunting (ducks then deer and hogs) so you can see my first few firearms were hunting driven

1. Remington Apache 77 .22 lr (technically my wife's) - '99 the year we were married.
2. 12ga Remington 870 Express (for ducks) - Christmas Present '99
3. 20 ga Browning BPS (for my wife when I drag her duck hunting with me) - '02
4. Remington Model 41 "Targetmaster" (family "heirloom") - '04
5. Beretta 686 Onyx 12 ga 3.5" O/U (because HAD to have an over/under) - '05
6. Savage Model 110 .270 Win (my deer rifle) - '06
7. S&W 686+ .357 mag (back-up gun for hogs) - '10
8. Springfield 1911 GI.45 Champion (got a conversion kit too so it shoots .22lr) - '11
9. Browning Buckmark Camper URX (good deal at a local store) - '11

Planned future gun purchases (in no particular order)
10. AR-15 or some sort (considering building one from parts) and a .22 lr conversion
11. Springfield XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm
12. Semi-auto .22lr rifle (something like a Ruger 10/22)
13. Sig Sauer in .40 (226 or 229) - might buy an add on .357 SIG barrel
14. .30-30 lever action rifle
15. Double (SxS) shotgun
16. Carbine of some sort (either lever action .357/.44 mag or semi-auto pistol caliber)
17. Full size 1911
18. .44 magnum revolver (if I get the above carbine)
19. Small handgun in .380 (maybe)
20. Something Class III would be awesome

I'm just glad I had the opportunity to share.

J-Bar
March 24, 2011, 09:32 PM
Don't buy anything because someone tells you to. A gun collection,like an art collection or any other, expresses the tastes and interests of the owner. I believe in love at first sight with both women and guns. Yes, you will get your heart broken occasionally. But your life, and your shooting, will be a helluva lot of fun.

planetmobius
March 24, 2011, 11:55 PM
You don't need any advice. Get what you want. The plan sounds good for starters.

JTHunter
March 25, 2011, 02:06 AM
sawdeanz - the first was one of the old, round Ruger .22 semi with the 6 3/4" barrel back in the early 70's. Traded it as a down payment on a .380 semi about 5 yrs later. MISTAKE. Still have the .380 but miss that .22. :(
Mid 80's got my first shotty, a pump. Late 80's got 2 bolt actions a couple of years apart, a .243 and a .22 (replaced a Marlin levergun that was "lost").
Early 90's, got a 12 ga. side by side with double triggers that lets me fire BOTH barrels at the same time. ;)
Then, before the Clinton Ban, got an AK. Mid 90's, got a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger SA (Single Action) Convertible (.22 LR AND .22 Mag) revolver. Last year, got a .22 Mag bolt action to go with that pistol. Now I can carry the 10/22 or the LR boltgun and the pistol and only one ammo. Switch cylinders to .22 Mag and switch rifles and still only one ammo. :)
The one beauty of this pistol is cheap plinking (or hunting) with the LR ammo, then switch to the Mags and have functional (but not good) home defense pistol.

sawdeanz
March 25, 2011, 10:48 AM
Yes well I think I've got another idea. It still depends a little on when I can get stuff but I want to get a .22 rifle like this summer or fall. My long-awaited handgun when I turn 21, and then a .22 pistol after that. And a Mosin and or sks and or PCC around in there sometime as well for kicks.
I really want to get into military surplus at some point because it is something I really love and I'm just getting that feeling that they won't be around for very cheap much longer. Military collectibles seem to disappear right around when we adopted the m14.

sawdeanz
March 25, 2011, 07:25 PM
actually I have just reawakened my desire for a m1 carbine. I will save up for that after the pistol and .22 rifle and maybe before or after the .22 pistol. I think that will be worth saving up for and fills all of my desires, but idk if most ranges consider it a "pistol" caliber.
If a range allows anything pistol calibered will they often accept .30 carbine (my closest range allows anything up to .44 mag but idk how the .30 carbine compares to that)? How about if I buy an Automag III and bring that along too, how about then :D

DoubleTapDrew
March 25, 2011, 07:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ayost/phasesGuns.jpg

O C
March 25, 2011, 11:21 PM
I started out just buying a gun or two just because I happened on a good deal. Had 5. Went to war and used several for the purpose intended, kinda lost interest for a while. Then I had the means to start back shooting ( was rifle team member in military school) and bought a couple more, then I went completely berserk, and got into collecting. Now I have 42 hand guns, more long guns that I can shoot, and am taking a long look at shotguns.
If you can't afford professional help, start with the highest quality gun you can, no matter which kind. Quality will always come to the top. Enjoy the hunt. I get as much pleasure out of finding "just the right deal, at the right price" as I do having the gun. It's a sickness that I hope to never be cured of.
Now I have several relatives just waiting for me to croak, so they can inherit my collection. I also told them that if they piss me off I'll be buried with the guns. They treat me good!

woad_yurt
March 26, 2011, 09:23 AM
Suggestion:
You've mentioned a .22 rifle a few times so I suggest you look at a Marlin 60, or, better yet, an old Glenfield 60 ($100 should get you one.)

They're accurate, quick shooting, very handy, etc, etc, etc.

rogertc1
March 26, 2011, 04:03 PM
When I started collecting 27 years ago I kept with small guns because I moved a lot beuing single and in college. As I got my family and 1st job I kept it small as moving ment promotions. Now that I am staying in one place and kids have moved out I have over 200 firearms. Has been fun collecting. Just be consistant and don't sell any.

oldbear
March 26, 2011, 08:15 PM
I've always believed in quality over quantity, so if it were my decision I would start out with a quality .22 pistol or revolver. Then I would start saving for the best condition S&W classic N frame, such as a M 27-2. These are expensive now, but in two or three years they mos likely be BIG BUCKS.

rogertc1
March 27, 2011, 04:31 PM
Mine are quality and quanity. Just a lot. I wanted one of everything and i got it.

kayak-man
March 27, 2011, 04:55 PM
If you're going with an M1 Carbine, AIM surplus has .30carbine for a little less than $20 per 50. If you like it, go for it! but make sure you can afford to feed the gun.

sawdeanz
March 27, 2011, 08:48 PM
Well I already realize that feeding a m1 is just as expensive as any other rifle, but I won't be buying one anytime soon probably.

kayak-man
March 27, 2011, 10:35 PM
Actually, the M1 Carbine would be a bit cheaper to feed than a lot of the full power rifles. $18/50 is only a bit more than 9mm, and less than half the price of the .30-06 ammo I picked up when I bought my Savage: $18/20.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun collection plan" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!