Where do people get these prices

PDA

gfpd707
March 21, 2011, 10:22 PM
I live in an area that is not known for good gun shops (central Illinois) but where do people get such good prices on firearms. I read here and other places about people purchasing firearms for prices that I can not even come close to finding locally or on the internet. Are these people making this stuff up or what?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where do people get these prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carter
March 21, 2011, 10:25 PM
Depends on who you know, where you look, where you live, etc etc etc. One person I know is friends with a dealer and gets AMAZING deals on firearms. The smaller shops around me are pretty decently priced, but if I go in to Charlotte the gun shops there say a glock is an $800 gun and their $700 price tag is a steal.

Online will usually get you a great price. A place like budsgunshop.com is somewhere to start. That is assuming your local dealer doesn't rob you with a high transfer fee.

Iron Sight
March 21, 2011, 10:28 PM
for new might try Gallery of Guns

FROGO207
March 21, 2011, 10:37 PM
A fair number of my "good deals" were from people that were down on their luck and wanted to sell a firearm NOW. I would offer to buy at the same price as a retail store would offer for a used firearm and they usually said yes. Now to tell you, I am known locally as someone that deals fairly and will buy from you if the firearm is legal and not stolen. Don't resell many though.:D I have been known to sell one back to the previous owner if their situation changes. Other good deals were at a gun shop or pawn shop and the owner did not do his homework and did not know what they had. I do not feel bad if they are dumb about it. I will help a new guy a couple of times and after that they should catch on to pricing or they will not stay in the business for long.

earlthegoat2
March 21, 2011, 10:41 PM
Where I got my best deals were when I worked at a shop and I bought them at cost plus tax. I only buy used so that made for some screaming deals.

FROGO207
March 21, 2011, 10:43 PM
Sorry double post

jcwit
March 21, 2011, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE][Where do people get these prices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in an area that is not known for good gun shops (central Illinois) but where do people get such good prices on firearms. I read here and other places about people purchasing firearms for prices that I can not even come close to finding locally or on the internet. Are these people making this stuff up or what? /QUOTE]

Shop, always shop, never stop looking, then look some more, and be sure you have cash with you at all times. Remember CASH is KING, everything else is BS.

This is from someone who spent most of his working life in procurement. Started at the ripe old age of 14 in purchasing, retired at 58 with my own business.

Shadow 7D
March 21, 2011, 11:14 PM
First you find a low overhead dealer, get to know him, and find that he operated on a 10% margin, so he orders the gun from the distributor, and charges you his cost + 10% and shipping. So all told you end up paying 15 for USPS flatrate box, and 30-50 dollars, for a gun that a brick and mortar has to sell at a high price to pay the electric bill and rent and the counter monkeys paycheck.

isc
March 21, 2011, 11:17 PM
find a dealer that will do transfers and buy guns online. here are some good wholesalers that list prices on their sites:

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/
http://www.classicarms.us/

Ala Dan
March 22, 2011, 06:09 AM
I get my "good deal's" from my pusher, who just so happens to be my boss
in a family owned and operated sporting goods store~! ;) :)

hey_poolboy
March 22, 2011, 07:03 AM
I don't know how "central" you are, but if you're in the greater Peoria area I can give you a couple better than average recommendations. I've done business with one shop in particular for years, and can only think of once or twice that they could have been beaten by an online dealer by the time you add shipping and FFL fees. There are a couple others that can have hit and miss good deals on certain guns.

MMCSRET
March 22, 2011, 09:19 AM
I don't live in Il., but I find that having a few hundred dollars in my wallet at all times will help. I've found good deals in lumber yards, feed stores, auto dealerships, truck stops; just about anywhere there are people. Listen and ask, have cash at hand. I like ftf deals with no 4473 involved.

22-rimfire
March 22, 2011, 09:53 AM
To take advantage of "deals", you first have to be able to recognize a deal when you see it. Secondly, you need to have the cash on hand. I think keeping some in your wallet for impulse good deals is a great approach. Third, you have to make the effort to find the deals. It takes time.

Visiting a certain gun shop several times a week to check "what's new" is a great thing if you have the time. Plus you likely end up spending more money because you are putting yourself in a "buy position" frequently even if it is only ammo that you might need in a month or so. But eventually I tire of such activities and it becomes more of a random event, sort of like winning a lottery.

Smokey Joe
March 22, 2011, 12:54 PM
is how THIS can be managed:but I find that having a few hundred dollars in my wallet at all times will help.What with kids, mortgage, college loans, the car always needing "something," the price of gasoline going through the roof, buying groceries--You know, the little odds-and-ends expenses of life--the only people I know who could possibly manage this are the very few for whom "a few hundred dollars" is pocket change, and people in that tax bracket don't deal in the common firearms the rest of us buy and sell, they take their private jet to Monaco to buy mint Purdeys and Winchester 21's.

For me, and I think most of us, having a few hundred dollars to carry around just in case one spots a great deal on one's hobby, would be a pipe dream!

(No emoticon for a wry smile)

D94R
March 22, 2011, 01:00 PM
Smokey, not everyone is dirt floor poor during this economic time.

I never carry cash for reasons such as I can't cancel cash if I lose my wallet. But, I always have enough play money that I could buy something if the deal was right, either by using the ATM or paying with plastic (debit, never credit cards). Good deals aren't only to be had by people standing behind the truck stop bathrooms peddling goods from their trench coats.

Oh, and I don't have a private Jet. It's still being built ;)

btg3
March 22, 2011, 01:23 PM
the common firearms the rest of us buy and sell,

Solid, quality firearms are just fine -- working guns, not safe queens. No need for the high-end stuff.

"Fun money" is tougher to lay hold to at certain stages of life. If you don't have a good system that optimizes your finances, do check out Dave Ramsey or Crown.org which have proved successful in my family for the past 30 years.

And thanks to those who posted some some excellent gun links in this thread.

jcwit
March 22, 2011, 01:35 PM
Smokey, I've raised my kids, paid my house off, drive only paid for cars, newest one is 8 years old but looks new, and am now retired or disabled, depending on how you wish to look at it. I live very frugally, and save what I can, its amazing on how little one can live on if they wish to save money.

Moral to the above Cash is still King.

MMCSRET
March 22, 2011, 02:53 PM
I'm retired and living on two small pensions, my wife is handicapped and I do all the cooking and most of the house cleaning. We have two vehicles that together are worth less than 20K. I learned a long time ago not to spread myself too thin; no boats, 4 wheelers, air planes, skiing or any other of all the money eating hobbys I see people making payments on. I quit making payments on anything but a home mortgage 25 years ago. That way I have the time and ready cash to indulge my hobby; guns; I have never spent more than 600$ on a gun but I have some desirable pieces simply by being ready at the right place at the right time. It takes patience and preparation and above all, attitude.

22-rimfire
March 23, 2011, 01:40 PM
For me, and I think most of us, having a few hundred dollars to carry around just in case one spots a great deal on one's hobby, would be a pipe dream!

Smokey Joe, I understand. Many of us are in that position as well. But, if you don't have the cash, you have to depend on layaways (where they exist) which is okay, but you still have to come up with the cash in fairly short order.

Maintaining a cash fund is a good approach. You just have to work at it and keep dropping money into that envelope for when the need comes up. That need could be anything from a gun, fixing the car, or paying auto insurance because you ran a little short. But a fund is sound practice. Some people call the totally uncommited cash reserves "mad money" which for me tends to be the couple of hundred in my wallet. It is not enough for most guns I seek.

The experts say you should maintain in cash or liquid assets of at least 3-months of your basic monthly living expense. That is easier said than done.

Remo223
March 23, 2011, 02:18 PM
Finding a good deal take A LOT of time. it may not even be worth it once you count all the time you have invested. I'm constantly looking and checking prices. you have to be obsessed with it. And the previous poster that mentioned having a wad of cash at all times it correct. There's a lot of people that do that just in case. people are more likely to give you a smoking hot deal if they can have the cold hard cash RIGHT NOW.

You don't have to be rich to keep a balance in your bank account and you don't have to be rich to maintain a balance in your wallet. What you do need to have the THE BRAINS TO NOT BLOW IT ON STUPID CRAP.

Maintaining a balance of 500 does not cost you anymore than maintaining a balance of 5 dollars. Money in equals money out.

stonecutter2
March 23, 2011, 02:27 PM
is how THIS can be managed:What with kids, mortgage, college loans, the car always needing "something," the price of gasoline going through the roof, buying groceries--You know, the little odds-and-ends expenses of life--the only people I know who could possibly manage this are the very few for whom "a few hundred dollars" is pocket change, and people in that tax bracket don't deal in the common firearms the rest of us buy and sell, they take their private jet to Monaco to buy mint Purdeys and Winchester 21's.

(No emoticon for a wry smile)
I've found that following the "pay yourself first" rule is great. With each paycheck, take $10 out of each check (if paid twice a month, that's $20). Keep that money aside only for a specific goal (i.e. pocket change for the right firearm). Only in EXTREME dire need tap into that fund - the money will grow, although it may take awhile. Eventually you will end up with enough to play with - or maybe keep around longer and watch it keep growing :) Just make longer term plans, make a change that's not financially difficult, and the money will grow.

stonecutter2
March 23, 2011, 02:29 PM
Finding a good deal take A LOT of time. it may not even be worth it once you count all the time you have invested. I'm constantly looking and checking prices. you have to be obsessed with it. And the previous poster that mentioned having a wad of cash at all times it correct. There's a lot of people that do that just in case. people are more likely to give you a smoking hot deal if they can have the cold hard cash RIGHT NOW.

You don't have to be rich to keep a balance in your bank account and you don't have to be rich to maintain a balance in your wallet. What you do need to have the THE BRAINS TO NOT BLOW IT ON STUPID CRAP.

Maintaining a balance of 500 does not cost you anymore than maintaining a balance of 5 dollars. Money in equals money out.
I've found it's the money in part that people aren't focusing on - setting the goal to squirrel away a little at a time is really all it takes.

Remo223
March 23, 2011, 02:36 PM
I've found it's the money in part that people aren't focusing on - setting the goal to squirrel away a little at a time is really all it takes.
I've found its just plain old self control. People can't quit spending until they're out of money. If you have such poor self control that you can't stop spending before you HAVE TO STOP spending, then you will ALWAYS be broke no matter how much money you make.

But even more importantly, when you don't have the sense to control yourself, you will NEVER find a good deal on anything no matter how much money you happen to have in your pocket at the moment.

Finding a good deal means waiting for a good deal.

hey_poolboy
March 24, 2011, 07:14 PM
It seems as though the OP has left the building. Just in case you check back in I'll tell you about the prices I get. I went to my favorite GS today and found a Kel-tec pf-9 NIB for $219, a p-11 for $249, and an RIA compact tactical 1911 for $429. Not ALL of them are tremendous deals, but I just looked on Bud's and GB and couldn't beat a single price after shipping and FFL fees.

That's why I love my LGS.:)

sonick808
April 6, 2011, 06:39 PM
is Smiley's still there on Ireland Grove Rd ? They always did me fair, or ordered for me, or would even do FFL transfers even if they had the same gun

stickhauler
April 6, 2011, 06:43 PM
"Gallery of Guns?" Really? If you want to buy at MSRP, sure. But Bud's prices (and many other on-line sources) regularly under MSRP.

steven58
April 6, 2011, 07:07 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the CMP?

http://www.thecmp.org/

If you are willing to fill out the form (5 minutes) and meet the requirements (fairly easy) you can get a GREAT deal on M1 Garands.

I just picked up a Service grade for a bit over $600.00 delivered to my door that's worth about twice as much. Here's a few pictures
(post 4 page 13) muzzle is 0 throat is 2+.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7226700#post7226700

tazbigdog
April 7, 2011, 10:26 PM
I like CDNN Sports in Abilene, TX. Just bought a Ruger New Vaquero .45LC SS 7.5" bbl for $399.99. Lists for over 600.

CZguy
April 7, 2011, 11:05 PM
Yep, CDNN has some bargains.

I'm still kicking myself for not Buying a Steyr M series when they were selling them for $300.00 a few years ago.

steven58
April 7, 2011, 11:39 PM
Another vote for CDNN,

They are a great source for bargain guns. I Picked up an German PD turn in HK P7 a few years back at just under $ 500.00 (it was NIB, never fired with all papers and tools) and I did get 2 of the M series in 08 when they were $300.00. I just sold one M for $500.00 to finance another project.

Gunbroker has also been good to me. Although 90% of the offerings are "fair price" offering every now and then you can really score.

The deals are out there you just need to do some hunting;)

CraigC
April 8, 2011, 01:42 AM
Methinks the notion of actually saving money towards something is a lost art.

"Gallery of Guns?" Really?
Uh, yeah! I've never seen anything listed for MSRP on GoG. Are you clicking "Instant Quote" to get prices from dealers in your area?

Twiki357
April 8, 2011, 02:51 AM
Just think of the potential bargans if it weren't for that ridiculous restriction of buyer and seller/FFL being residents of the same state. Especially since backgroud checks are a nation wide database.

Gregaw
April 8, 2011, 10:01 AM
I lived in central IL for quite some time and bought a lot of firearms through Jim Hawk of Hawk Arms in Monmouth, IL. He doesn't stock much or have a nice 'store', but he's easy to work with and always found good deals on what I wanted. He's a good guy.
Hawk Arms
(309) 734-4867
2174 106th St
Monmouth, IL. 61462

Other than that I bought a couple through some local online classified adds. (those were the best deals) $150 for a very nice Norinco SKS. $225 for a 12GA Browning BPS Stalker.

MrWesson
April 8, 2011, 12:51 PM
being in Illinois I wouldnt hold my breath for great prices.
I have found people who find good deals tend to live in the middle of the country. I live in South FL and the only deals I find is a statewide gun classified website(usually used).

KodiakBeer
April 8, 2011, 01:03 PM
The best deals are in the classifieds of your local newspaper. Locally, we have a call-in radio show where people sell anything from snow tires to AR's.

gym
April 8, 2011, 01:34 PM
It's like anything else, as long as you don't "have to have a certain exact model and make". If you buy something that is a very good deal , and you know it, even if you don't want it for ever, you may find you can sell it later or add a few dollars and get the one you really wanted, Meanwhile you still get to use the one you got. Let's face it, that's what goes on a gun shows, people who are strapped for cash and need money that day for bills are likelly to sell a gun for what they need rather than what it's worth. And the later in the day it gets the more desperate they become. If they are going to sell it cheap, why not buy it, someone will. I wouldn't try to make him go down more on an already good price, but I might buy it if it was cheap enough wheather I wanted it or not.
When you know you can't get hurt on something, and can always sell it for more, than you are in a good position with anything. I am not talking about straw sales here, so please don't get the wromg idea. I am just suggesting that if you can get a good gun at a good price, you have options, Just like in our buy and sell, trade area. People buy something and just don't like it, perhaps you have something that you aren't crazy about anymore but they may want it, thats just commerce. People who have to have a certain thing almost always overpay fo it.

ColtPythonElite
April 8, 2011, 01:41 PM
I'm another one of those guys that carries around some "gun cash" daily. You never know when a deal is gonna pop up. I like to be prepared.

isc
April 8, 2011, 05:49 PM
Just think of the potential bargans if it weren't for that ridiculous restriction of buyer and seller/FFL being residents of the same state.

there's no such restriction if you are buying a long gun from an FFL.

doubleh
April 9, 2011, 10:19 AM
If I read the OP correctly he is referring to gun stores, both local and internet. I regularly read comments on various forums about gun prices. Most are 25-30% lower than any I can find. I also see this about accessories and ammo prices. I don't know whether people just like to be seen as getting extra good deals or quote 5 year old prices. It even extends to Wal Mart prices. I know their prices aren't uniform across the nation but some of the prices quoted are not realistic.

steven58
April 9, 2011, 11:21 AM
Wallmart can have some great specials on Win White box and Fed. ValuePack ammo. That said, On occasion I have found they make an error on the per unit price. after checking that it will be honored (say 4.99 per box of 50 on .45acp 230 grn. FMJ instead of 14.99). I may not even be looking for ammo but at that point I buy as much as they have on the spot.

Point is if special deals were everywhere and capable of being found by everyone they wouldn't be "SPECIAL".

From all the posts it breaks down into 3 mindsets (not mutually exclusive!).

1) Go out and put in the time and effort to hunt down deals.

2) Be ready at all times to take advantage of a deal that pops up (cash on hand, or readily available)

3)be aware of values of guns and ammo so you can strike instantly when the opportunity is available. If you have to go home to think on it or research values, someone else gets the "unbelievable" deal.

YMMV, There is always risk, Those who dare Win!

jmr40
April 9, 2011, 11:37 AM
On new guns I've not noticed a great difference in prices anywhere. I've never been able to justify buying new on line. With the shipping costs and transfer fees I can just buy ther same gun from my local dealer for the same price or less.

The deals are on used guns. That is very dependent on the individual dealer. Like us, all dealers have their favorites. Take a Remington to some dealers to trade and they will allow you much more on trade, and offer it for sell at a higher price. Another dealer may offer you $150 less and sell it used For $100 less than the 1st dealer.

There is one local gun dealer that just does not like to trade. He will tell you up front that he does not want your used gun, but if you insist on trading here is the price. It is always a fraction of what it is worth. When it goes on the used rack in his shop it will always be at a steal. He never has more than 1-2 used guns and I've bought several from him and turned around and sold them at a profit myself.

bayhawk2
April 9, 2011, 12:03 PM
Unless you are shopping for a hard to get gun,I think it
better to buy local.If you are buying online in your own
state it is a real waste of money.Even at Buds,that charges
nothing for shipping,no out of state taxes,you still have to pay
a transfer fee,and you don't get the gun at Buds for the
price advertised,unless you pay cash.That may be by bank transfer.Paying by credit card
is x-tra.About 15 bucks x-tra.Plus $5 insurance.I buy at Buds,sometimes.
They always seem to get the new guns first.I'm not one to wait
around for a year to get what I want,so I buy from those with
decent deals and have the gun I want.I'm not
a pro at buying online,I'm just finding these things out as I go.
B/H

CajunBass
April 9, 2011, 12:17 PM
I've always found the best gun prices are always somewhere else.

steven58
April 9, 2011, 12:28 PM
double post

22-rimfire
April 9, 2011, 12:40 PM
Steven58 pretty much summarized things above (Post #40).

I pretty much subscribe to the "winning the lottery" approach these days as I just don't have the interest to chase "deals". But here on THR, you read about the "deals" but seldom read about how someone overpaid for a firearm unless it is a complaint thread. Anyone that over pays is often considered to be a bit ... how do ya say... "unsavy"? But I prefer to think of it as buying too soon. Because if you buy used guns, you can't know all the current values and sometimes you simply buy "too soon". I have a 98% S&W 4" Model 10-5 that I bought too soon a couple years ago and probably still could not sell it for what I paid for it.

steven58
April 9, 2011, 06:02 PM
IMHO, Used guns do offer the best deals.

all decent quality firearms should be able to outlast several owners. Most owners are not IPSC or 3 gun competitors so the guns are barely fired when some owners get the itch for something else and sell.

Govt. turn ins can also be great. I picked up a 4" 686 in like new condition for $300. It had been turned in by a state prison bureau when they switched to autos.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where do people get these prices" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!