Polymer slides?

PDA

Impureclient
March 22, 2011, 12:30 AM
There is very little to no information on this on a Google search. It seems by adding steel in the right spots on a plastic slide that it would work. I'm sure in some back rooms some where, there are engineers brainstorming.
Is it in the physics of the operation of an autoloader? Would the plastic just not take the beating? Can anybody school me on why we don't have this yet?

If you enjoyed reading about "Polymer slides?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
twofifty
March 22, 2011, 12:39 AM
I'm guessing two things:

1. a polymer slide would not have the mass required to slow its rearward motion. To compensate, there would have to be a big honking recoil spring, which would make the gun hard to charge. Racking the slide to clear a malf, etc. would be harder too as you'd be fighting the big spring.

2. a polymer slide might not provide as durable a lockup. The slide might yield somewhat under recoil, which could lead to excessive headspace while the chamber is pressurized.

gym
March 22, 2011, 12:48 AM
Maybe ceramic or a blend. But it's probablly more money than it' worth

StrikeFire83
March 22, 2011, 12:55 AM
Ask and yee shall receive, somebody already did!

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF003&gid=FNG001

Drail
March 22, 2011, 02:11 AM
I would have to ask "WHY?" I don't understand the incredible attraction polymer has for so many people. I understand the weight thing - it's lighter than steel. Does that make it better?

metalman8600
March 22, 2011, 03:19 AM
Ask and yee shall receive, somebody already did!
The FN 5.7 has a polymer coated steel slide. It is not constructed out of polymer.

Reasons to not have a polymer slide:
1. Mass is needed to control how fast the breech unlocks. If the slide was super light weight, then the slide would be unlocked super fast.
F=ma
The force (F) acting on the breech will remain the same, so while mass (m) goes down, the acceleration (a) goes up. So in order to have the breech locked until the chamber pressure goes down, the barrel would have to be locked to the slide for about 50mm of travel (on a Beretta 92 the barrel is locked to the slide for about 8.5mm).

2. A lighter guns means more recoil.

3. There are other reasons too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Polymer slides?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!