.45 1911 trouble

PDA

sprice
March 22, 2011, 06:45 PM
I bought a used Dan wesson pm7 1911 the other day and I don't know what's wrong with it.

When the slide goes down sometimes the hammer does too. Letting down the slide after a fresh magazine is inserted, racking the slide, ect. The hammer will go down to "half cock" and it's bugging me.

What's wrong with my gun? Can I just replace a part to fix it? If you have any ideas for me that would be great. Thanks again!

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 1911 trouble" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quack
March 22, 2011, 07:07 PM
Did you detail strip it or remove the mainspring housing?

sprice
March 22, 2011, 07:23 PM
No I don't consider myself qualified enough. Eversince I took apart my dad's 1894 winchester....

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 22, 2011, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a trip to the gunsmith if you aren't comfortable taking a 1911 down. I'm thinking its the sear thats causing the problem.

Quack
March 22, 2011, 07:31 PM
oops, i missed the "used" part in your original post.

i'm guessing that the original owner monkey'd with the sear spring, which is causing what you are seeing.

glassman
March 22, 2011, 07:37 PM
Give DW a call or E-mail them. Keith is their master gun smith and will be able to answer your question.

DasFriek
March 22, 2011, 07:40 PM
Have a gunsmith inspect the sear and replace the sear spring with a factory weight replacement.
Its a very common issue of just fine tuning the gun so don't get down on your new purchase, This is a very normal issue that happens alot.

Being how well made the gun is you may ask him to install a good Cylinder and slide sear spring and hand adjust it and also fine tune it with files to get the smoothest operation possible.

earlthegoat2
March 22, 2011, 07:50 PM
Could be the sear angle and or hammer notch have been goofified by a similar goof.

Replacement of both along with the sear spring may be in order. Best to send it out to get it looked at. Not a terrible fix for most gunsmiths will cost a bit though.

Zerodefect
March 22, 2011, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a spring or sear.

If someone goofed up your sear and hammer, now would be a good time to upgrade to Wilson parts. It's fairly inexpensive, and easy for any competant smith to do.

Can anyone recommend any smiths? I do trigger jobs myself with the Ed Brown sear tool. Maybe Keith at DW can check it out for you.

The Wiry Irishman
March 22, 2011, 08:27 PM
Either botched engagement angles on the sear/hammer from a trigger job, or the far left leg of the sear spring needs to be bent forward ever so slightly.

jr_roosa
March 22, 2011, 11:34 PM
Blessing in disguise. It's called hammer follow if you want to google it to get more info.

I think it's a blessing because it gives you an excuse to get a good trigger job done.

Be careful though, it's potentially a step away from doubling or going full auto.

-J.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 1911 trouble" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!