.43 Egyptian rolling block?

PDA

justin 561
March 22, 2011, 08:15 PM
Does anyone have experience with this rifle? A Friend of a friend is selling it and looks pretty nice. Is it worth collecting? I also was told it is insanely expensive to shoot, is this true? Also, bore looks decent, a little pitting, but if the ammo is as expensive as he made it sound I'll most likely never shoot it, but should I be expecting a great bore for such a old rifle? How rare are these? Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about ".43 Egyptian rolling block?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MMCSRET
March 22, 2011, 08:56 PM
I cast for, load and shoot a 43 Spanish Rolling Block. Cases are close to $3.00 each now, bullets are non-existent, bore dimensions vary widely and it is a finicky, cantankerous S.O.B. Thats why I love it and continue to struggle to feed and care for it. If you want it, go for it with your eyes open to the inherent problems of dealing with an obsolete cartridge in an obsolete design rifle.
The 43 Egyptian Rolling Block rifle last saw heavy military use in the trenches of Western Europe by French Colonial troops in WW1. Good shooting!!!!!

NCsmitty
March 22, 2011, 09:01 PM
Many Egyptian RB rifles have nasty bores, so if you have a chance to pick one up in decent condition, it might be a good investment.

Ammo is expensive, at around $75 a box of 20.

I don't know what it's value might be.

NCsmitty

Vaarok
March 22, 2011, 09:26 PM
They're not uncommon rifles, they're not cheap rifles, but the cost and complexity of ammo holds value and demand down. If you intend to shoot it, be fully aware of the height of the barrier to entry before you take the plunge. That said, they're big and shooty and fun.

If you enjoyed reading about ".43 Egyptian rolling block?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!