Did the P238 Slide get resdesigned?

PDA

rellascout
March 22, 2011, 10:32 PM
I read about this over on the Sig Fourm...

http://medullaoblongata.typepad.com/photos/beautiful_turls/p238_03.jpg

http://medullaoblongata.typepad.com/photos/beautiful_turls/p238_02.jpg

http://medullaoblongata.typepad.com/photos/beautiful_turls/p238_01.jpg

Holster fit might become and issue... Looks like they are standardizing on the HD slide. Can anyone deny or confirm? I guess its not really a total redesign in that they were already using the slide design on the HD. When did they start to ship with the HD slide?

If you enjoyed reading about "Did the P238 Slide get resdesigned?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flint Ridge
March 22, 2011, 10:45 PM
Along with 7 other known obvious redo's and the recall.

1. Recall - Safety
2. Mag follower
3. Mag follower
4. Barrel Lug
5. Hammer
6. Slide on HD
7. Recoil Spring
8. Slide on Standard Models

Any others?

rellascout
March 22, 2011, 10:49 PM
That is the running list over there...

Anyone have a newer P238 standard with and HD slide? Born on date? I wonder if they are functioning better with the heavier slide and new spring? People have been mentioning the spring as an improvement for a while now. I wonder which slide they have?

Flint Ridge
March 22, 2011, 11:26 PM
Really the number of reported issues seems to be about the square root of where we were a year or 18 months ago.

It's obvious the slide is redesigned. It would be interesting to see an original slide, the HD slide and this new slide all together. It might just be the later two might be the same?

spoon
March 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
which model are you showing in the pics ??
And are you saying that all of the models are changing -- or -- all are chaning to be like the HD model
And which one is the old and which is the new in the pics ???

Thank You

Flint Ridge
March 23, 2011, 08:19 PM
The big fat slide in the pictures is the new one. (Left, left and bottom) Some folks are getting guns back after being "fixed" and no longer fitting holster and just being way bigger than when they sent them in. I would NOT be happy.

I don't know if all are going this way or not.

cfullgraf
March 23, 2011, 11:07 PM
Interesting info on the new slide. My P238 has the new flat spring and the latest generation magazine followers. My P238 had been pretty reliable but has trashed a few recoil springs. It has never been returned to Sig since i bought it new in the fall of 2009.

I installed a set of Hogue's rubber grips on the pistol and ejection of cases got better, more reliable, and less case damage. But these were with moderate level hand loads.

My last outing, i shot a few Hornady XTP hollow points. All ejected fine but all were damaged by the slide on ejection. So, i suspect that slide velocity is an issue.

I do like the Hogue grips. The pistol does not slip around in my hand under recoil.

mopar92
March 24, 2011, 10:44 AM
Is there a serial number sequence I can see if my 238 is a recall gun?

27Contender
March 25, 2011, 12:01 PM
Look on Sig's site.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/Product-Alerts.aspx

Peter M. Eick
March 26, 2011, 08:41 PM
No question the new slide is bigger. My HD is fatter and heavier but heck, it works and is now 100% reliable.

No complaints here.

mopar92
May 11, 2011, 08:19 AM
So is the flat slide the only configuration the gun comes in? Sure uglies up the pistol...

SSN Vet
May 11, 2011, 10:27 AM
Along with 7 other known obvious redo's and the recall.

1. Recall - Safety
2. Mag follower
3. Mag follower
4. Barrel Lug
5. Hammer
6. Slide on HD
7. Recoil Spring
8. Slide on Standard Models

Thanks for reminding me why I concluded long ago that SIGs quality didn't match their price point.

rellascout
May 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
So is the flat slide the only configuration the gun comes in? Sure uglies up the pistol...

Ugly and functional is better than pretty and unreliable. LOL.

mopar92
May 11, 2011, 07:52 PM
So basically what you guys are saying is my thin slide that is not in the serial number recall will break?

Guns and more
May 11, 2011, 10:23 PM
Is there a serial number sequence I can see if my 238 is a recall gun?
Was there a recall?
I have an older version 8/09, and it has been flawless. I bought the first of the "Rosewood Editions". My magazines are "rounded follower", I have three, no problem.
My safety is VERY positive.

mopar92
May 12, 2011, 07:28 AM
My serial number isn't a recall... So I'm not going to put that massive slide onto it personally..

9mm+
May 12, 2011, 08:07 AM
I just bought a Sig 238 and my S/N is not on the list. The slide does look like the newer "fat" one which probably explains why it does not fit my Galco IWB holster well. The only holster I use at present is a nylon pocket one.

The pistol works flawlessly, but there is some case damage done by the ejector pin, especially with Speer Gold Dot. I noticed the indentation when I have to safe the firearm and eject the round in the chamber. Still fires like a champ, though, so no complaints.

rellascout
May 12, 2011, 09:02 AM
IIRC the recall was very early and was a thumb safety issue. All the other changes have been called updates.

mopar92
May 12, 2011, 09:14 AM
So it's not always true that a thin slide will break then... Thanks

rellascout
May 12, 2011, 09:48 AM
So it's not always true that a thin slide will break then... Thanks

No. It is my understanding that the thicker slide helps reliablity.

mopar92
May 12, 2011, 09:52 AM
I use mine for backup training, I have around 3500 rounds through it with maybe 3 failures . All on cheaper ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did the P238 Slide get resdesigned?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!