Please view and comment on our Idaho HB222 video

PDA

longdayjake
March 23, 2011, 06:00 PM
Some of you may know that right now the Idaho house has recently passed House Bill 222 which grants the right of people with concealed carry permits to carry weapons on university campuses. It also allows graduate students the right to have firearms in graduate housing. Lastly, it limits the power of the state universities to regulate firearms. Well, the ASUI president (who is a kid from Southern California) posted a video on Youtube claiming that he and the students of the University of Idaho are opposed to HB222. Furthermore, UI administration has falsly testified to congress that no student has expressed interest in having the right to bear arms on campus. SO, we made a video to demand the ASUI president retract his statement and to show the UI administration that students care about their rights. This bill may die in the Idaho senate so we need as many people (regardless of whether they are students or not) to express the importance of this issue to Idaho lawmakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ5rct2bMVI

The more people that view this and comment the better. Feel free to spread this link around the world if you can.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please view and comment on our Idaho HB222 video" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MD_Willington
March 23, 2011, 08:42 PM
Joe Huffman has it on his blog, I saw it there.

Dr_B
March 23, 2011, 09:37 PM
I think its great that this video was made. Those that support this law need a voice.

I think it is interesting that the university sent out a memo to all faculty, staff, and students reminding them that they are not allowed to speak out on this issue in connection with the university; i.e., we are not to use the university's name in connection with this. But then they are OK with letting the ASUI student post his own video AND go to the state house/senate and say that students don't support this. So, they can speak for us but we aren't allowed to speak?

This video needs to be spread everywhere. I have noted a lack of news reports out of Spokane on this topic. I suspect it is being kept quiet.

longdayjake
March 23, 2011, 10:20 PM
If the school has sent out a memo I didn't get it.

longdayjake
March 23, 2011, 10:23 PM
Hey Dr._B,

Could you send me a copy of the memo?

Big_E
March 23, 2011, 10:50 PM
I have heard some people mention the bill around the BSU campus lately. Didn't Governor Butch Otter veto a similar bill a few years ago? Of course, concealed carry has gained a lot of momentum lately. So this time things may be different.

Dr_B
March 23, 2011, 11:46 PM
It finally showed up on the Spokane news. Please go here:
http://www.khq.com/

Please vote "Yes" for "Should guns be allowed on campus?"

@jake: I will look and see if I still have the memo in my email. I didn't get it at first. One of my students told me about it and forwarded it to me. When I finally saw it, I could tell it was sent to the faculty and student distribution list.

longdayjake
March 23, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hmm nice poll. They put it next to a medical marijuana article. What does that even have to do with it?

Dr_B
March 24, 2011, 12:14 AM
I have a copy of the memo from the U. Can I send it over PM (I'm thinking I can't)? Or can you send me an email address?

longdayjake
March 24, 2011, 12:52 AM
sure. My email address was sent via IM

slabuda
March 24, 2011, 01:11 AM
Id put money on it Butch will veto it...BUt hope it gets to him in the 1st place and he doesnt veto...not holding my breath though.

Dr_B
March 24, 2011, 01:37 AM
Unfortunately, I think you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if he vetoed it. The UI president has a direct connection with the governor. The university also is a huge player in the state's economy.

One thing I think is not being said loudly enough in this debate is that other state universities allow carry and there have been no problems. It's also being discussed around the university and at the state level as a crime prevention thing. But it's really an individual rights issue related to self-defense. I.e., should a university be allowed to deny an individual any option for self-defense.

Dr_B
March 24, 2011, 11:03 PM
House Bill 222 will be debated before the Senate State Affairs Committee
tomorrow (March 25, 2011) at 8:00 AM (Mountain time).

longdayjake
March 25, 2011, 12:19 AM
At which point there will be nothing but lies and hot air flying through the air. My guess is unrational fear will be the biggest argument tomorrow.

Dr_B
March 25, 2011, 04:32 AM
You got it. Emotional pleas based on nothing. I am more concerned about what will happen if it gets to the governor. I emailed him explaining why this should become law. It may never be read, or be read and dismissed, but ah well... at least I tried.

Dr_B
March 25, 2011, 02:24 PM
This just came from the Vision20/20 forum here in Moscow:

"At the conclusion of public testimony there was a motion to move HB222 to
the 14th Order (Amending). That motion was voted down. I assume the HB
222 remains in committee forever?

I recorded some excellent testimony presented by Marty Peterson (Special
Assistant to the UI President) and Chief Duke.

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho"

Shirley Ringo, our local democrat representative, also posted on the board that the bill was shot down in the senate.

Also note that Chief Duke of the Moscow PD appears to have spoken to the senate. If Tom Hansen is calling Duke's testimony "excellent" then he must have spoken against the bill. I know several Moscow PD officers and they are pro-gun, but of course cannot speak out for the department. I hope the Chief has not taken a stand against our rights. I am on a local board with him. He seems to be a nice guy, although rather quiet and difficult to read.

longdayjake
March 25, 2011, 02:41 PM
The bill did not make it past the committee. Also there was a HUGE emotional outburst by one of our lawmakers. Sadly the bill is dead -as we knew it would be.

Dr_B
March 25, 2011, 03:00 PM
From the Vision 20/20 people... and it always strikes me as odd that their message board is called 20/20 when they are so myopic. Anyway:

Of all the public testimony presented during the House Bill 222 (Guns on
Campus) discussion, merely two or three were in favor of House Bill 222,
and among those 2 or 3 that testified in favor of HB 222 was a
respresentative from the National Rifle Association who quoted from an
article in American Rifleman (a magazine published by the NRA).

Now that House Bill 222 has been relegated to committee oblivion, after a
motion to move HB 222 to the 14th Order (amending) was defeated, we can
reflect on some community conscious testimony presented by . . .

Marty Peterson (Special Assistant to the University of Idaho President)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZNFG-phC2g

Chief David Duke, Moscow Police Department
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFPnO-cAQcw

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho
UI '96 (Nasty, Inebriated, but Unarmed)

Dr_B
March 25, 2011, 03:27 PM
Note Marty Peterson's assumption that Moscow PD would not respond to a person carrying an assault rifle until he/she began shooting. I am 100% certain Moscow PD will respond to an MWAG call regardless of the situation. They have to. They always check that sort of thing out, and its almost always just some guy open carrying a pistol. Check out opencarry.org. They responded to an MWAG call at Safeway a while back.

Dr_B
March 25, 2011, 04:14 PM
The liberals are having an anti-gun orgasm over on the Vision 20/20 message board. For those not in Moscow, that's a place where several local loudmouths spew out their thoughts on the environment, guns, the Tea Party, etc. I check it out from time to time. Good to keep your enemies close.

http://vision2020.moscow.com/ It says multipartisan, but really its the Moscow liberal community online.

longdayjake
March 25, 2011, 06:39 PM
Any idea what ISU had to say about all this? My undergrad is from ISU and I would like to know if they even participated.

Dr_B
March 25, 2011, 08:25 PM
You know, I never heard anything about ISU. Boise State had a little to say about the bill when it was in the house. But mostly it seems the U. of Idaho dominated the scene.

Big_E
March 25, 2011, 11:44 PM
I am really kind of astonished that there would be so much debate about this in Idaho. The open/concealed carry laws are very lax, and this state has so few restrictions on firearms that I figured campus carry would be required (jk) :p

Typical Vandals, ruining campus carry for everyone. :neener:

I don't know what kind of people live in Moscow, ID or what their political stance is I just didn't think the bill would have so much opposition.

Dr_B
March 26, 2011, 02:06 AM
I know what kind of people live in Moscow. A lot of very vocal liberals who consider themselves and the university to be an oasis in an otherwise backwards state. There are of course other kinds of people here too, but the university brings in all kinds of people who are from other parts of the US and do not think like native Idahoans.

Remember this is the same town whose mayor tried to ban guns within the city limits only a couple years ago. This town is very different from the rest of the state in my opinion.

Dr_B
March 26, 2011, 02:08 AM
Note that I am saying THEY think Idaho is backwards. Personally, I find it suits me just fine.

Dr_B
March 26, 2011, 01:59 PM
The bill's status has not changed on the state's website. http://legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2011/H0222.htm

The news lady said last night that the bill could still advance, although I admit my understanding of the state process is rather limited and I am not sure how it would advance.

longdayjake
March 26, 2011, 02:33 PM
Its dead. If it can't get passed committee it can't get voted on. They didn't vote no on the bill, they just didn't vote yes on whether they would vote on it. The worst part about it is that it was an issue that obviously means a TON to a lot of Idahoans. Whether you are an anti or a pro gun person you had an interest in this bill. To kill a bill like this in committe is shameful. Give the representatives of Idaho the chance to vote on something that means a ton to Idahoans.

MD_Willington
October 17, 2011, 09:47 PM
Okay.. old thread, longdayjake whats going on with this?

I saw your fellow student in the news.

longdayjake
October 18, 2011, 12:19 AM
I will have to ask him whats up. They had their final argument on it last week and we were awaiting the judges ruling. I have been busy and unable to ask about it so maybe we already have some news.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please view and comment on our Idaho HB222 video" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!