Media That Influenced You To Buy A Gun?

PDA

ObsidianOne
March 25, 2011, 03:04 AM
Like the title says, have you ever wanted (and actually bought) a gun because of a movie, TV show, book, video game, etc.?
If so, what is it, when did you buy it and any pictures?

If you enjoyed reading about "Media That Influenced You To Buy A Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jim in Anchorage
March 25, 2011, 03:56 AM
CBS, NBC and ABC convinced me to buy SKS's and mini- 14s during the early days of the Clinton administration. Not thats what they wanted:evil:

I admit though years of cowboy movies are probably why I bought a Ruger .45 Vaquero. Loved those Colt SAAs.

mnrivrat
March 25, 2011, 04:05 AM
Radio - Cpt. Midnight , I never did find a decent ray gun .

Shadow 7D
March 25, 2011, 04:15 AM
OOh, I've been looking for one of them too...
Not media, but reading kinda convinced me that either I buy a cheap 1911, or spend the money to get one that is properly tuned. To many BIG names and numerous malfunctions.

cougfan
March 25, 2011, 06:32 AM
I'm grew up watching action movies in the 80's and always thought the stainless Beretta 92 was the best looking gun there was. I had wanted one since I was probably 10 years old, thankfully I had very understanding parents and only had to wait until I was 16. Over 10 years later I am still glad that was the first non .22 gun I got.

tyeo098
March 25, 2011, 07:29 AM
Call of Duty: World at War

Mosin Nagant :D

Davek1977
March 25, 2011, 07:35 AM
I'm sure my media exposure to the AK family of rifles starting at a young age played a roll in my eventual purchase of one.

woad_yurt
March 25, 2011, 08:15 AM
mnrivrat,

They are out there!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=220761018

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=221019484

PS The originals are great (I have one.) The re-issues, not really.

Animal Mother
March 25, 2011, 08:27 AM
The only guns that I can say were definitely purchased due to media would be the Mauser 98k and Mosin Nagant. I had seen those in Call of Duty and wanted to own one. My personal WWII collection took off from there, but once it started with those it developed a life of its own. Everything else before and since can't be traced to a specific film, but watching movies like The Terminator and Predator as a kid gave me a definite fascination with guns that persists to this day.

Ala Dan
March 25, 2011, 08:33 AM
Yes, that is why I wanted a "Fanner Fifty" and a Daisy Red Ryder~! ;) :D

Old Shooter
March 25, 2011, 08:36 AM
I grew up with parents and neighbors that were all WWII vets. Between that and watching "Combat!" on the TV I was hooked into the 1911 pistol and the Garand rifles. I would have acheived my life's dream if I had a chance to get my hands on a Thompson!!!!

sawdeanz
March 25, 2011, 10:24 AM
I haven't bought any yet, but I definitely want some. My love for the sig 226 is from many movies and Jack Bauer on 24. S&W autos because of Reservoir Dogs. Oh and the .45 longslide models from the Terminator and Watchmen. The B.A.R. would have to be my favorite WW2 weapon.
If you don't know about it already, check out this site, http://www.imfdb.org/w/Main_Page, which lists weapons used in each movie/tv show/video game ever made and is also entertaining because they often spot funny anachronisms or mistakes by the filmmakers. Whenever I see a cool gun in a movie I check it out here to see what it was.

ForumSurfer
March 25, 2011, 10:27 AM
I had a lower when Obama started running....I'll admit that the media hype about his potential impact motivated me to finally finish building my first AR. Now I have 3 in my safe and a collection of parts. Stupid legos...

Devonai
March 25, 2011, 10:28 AM
As embarrassing as it might be, I must admit I purchased a Beretta 92FS mostly because of Doom and Die Hard. The fact that it was the sidearm of the US Military played a smaller role.

I have since come to appreciate it for the weapon that it is, but at the time I was on the fence between the Beretta and either a Glock 30 or a USP Compact .40. My adventurous side was swayed by Die Hard and Doom.

ForumSurfer
March 25, 2011, 10:33 AM
As embarrassing as it might be, I must admit I purchased a Beretta 92FS mostly because of Doom and Die Hard.

Don't feel bad, I was a kid when that flick everyone accuses of being anti-gun came out (Lethal Weapon). I loved that movie as a kid and bought a Beretta 96 once I was old enough. It may be anti, but it caused Beretta sales to increase at least +1. :)

Jonah71
March 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
Roy Rogers and Gene Autry!

HGUNHNTR
March 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
I guess it is part of the reason I purchased an AR many years ago, they were so ubiquitous in movies I guess it was affliction by long term exposure.

docnyt
March 25, 2011, 10:39 AM
I must admit that the episode on "Deadliest Warrior" featuring the Spetsnatz turned me onto the Makarov PM. Right now I'm wanting a Saiga 12.

CajunBass
March 25, 2011, 10:44 AM
Yes, that is why I wanted a "Fanner Fifty" and a Daisy Red Ryder~!

You too? :D

And I wanted them because of these guys.

Roy Rogers and Gene Autry! :cool:

Jonah71
March 25, 2011, 11:01 AM
You too? :D

And I wanted them because of these guys.

:cool:
I did get the Daisy! regular otb bb guns were much more powerful and accurate in the late 50's and early 60's. I actually killed a rabbit with the Daisy. The next one was a used Stevens .22 bolt action for Christmas. Have been hooked ever since. Blame it all on Saturday morning TV!

stonecutter2
March 25, 2011, 11:18 AM
Band of Brothers.

M1 Garand.

CMP H&R Service Grade:
http://mrkruk.com/garand/11.jpg

I still want one from the WWII era.

matty-vb
March 25, 2011, 11:23 AM
.45 long slide, with laser sight.

someday.....someday....

stonecutter2
March 25, 2011, 11:25 AM
I grew up with parents and neighbors that were all WWII vets. Between that and watching "Combat!" on the TV I was hooked into the 1911 pistol and the Garand rifles. I would have acheived my life's dream if I had a chance to get my hands on a Thompson!!!!
I've shot a WWII Thompson full auto. It was amazing.

MattTheHat
March 25, 2011, 11:27 AM
Never a gun because of a movie, but I can't tell you how many flux capacitors I have in cardboard box in the back of the closet.

-Matt

BIGBANG
March 25, 2011, 11:34 AM
Oh yea, i was watchin the news one night about how bad the ak 47 "assault rifle" was because of its cheaper price than the police and military m16, and its wide availibility and how it should be banned so I figured i better get one just in case the some nut job in washington tries to ban em' anytime soon.

summerhelp
March 25, 2011, 12:17 PM
I have a SAA cause of John Wayne and a Walker cause of Augustus McCrae and Josey Wales but mostly from Gus.

Devonai
March 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
The Stalker game series gave me a serious crush for a Makarov or a AK-74. While the former are common enough, I own a Sig P230 and I felt I couldn't justify a similar pistol. As for the 74-type, they are difficult, though not impossible, to buy in Connecticut, at least for a reasonable price.

I was exposed to WWII-era stuff for the first time about 15 years ago, and fell in love with most if it. Crushes come and go but I will always love the M1. Heck, I even put one in my science fiction novels.

Manco
March 25, 2011, 12:34 PM
Like the title says, have you ever wanted (and actually bought) a gun because of a movie, TV show, book, video game, etc.?

Not so far, but I will eventually own a Colt SAA (or clone thereof), maybe more than one, because I was (and still am) hooked on TV and movie Westerns. :) A Winchester 1873 or 1892 won't be far behind, I imagine.

My late father owned a Walther PPK in .32 ACP, and I recall that he was rather fond of James Bond movies. Coincidence? He never told me, but probably not.

Yes, that is why I wanted a "Fanner Fifty" and a Daisy Red Ryder~! ;) :D

Great, so you can "walk tall" after putting your eye out. ;) As much as I love real firearms, I have to say that it's always the vintage toy guns (and BB guns) that bring the biggest grin to my face. :D I still have a few, but the zinc parts are beginning to crack on some of them, so I'm very reluctant to actually play around with them. :( My Daisy BB gun still works, though--after all those decades and box after box of BBs, although now I bet that I can't even shoot it outdoors like I used to without getting the SWAT team called on me. :rolleyes:

sarduy
March 25, 2011, 12:39 PM
star wars

BeerSleeper
March 25, 2011, 12:43 PM
Noisy cricket.
No worries about an underpowered "pocket gun"

Nar
March 25, 2011, 12:43 PM
Watching Indiana Jones as a young kid made me want a S&W Model 10, which my father got when i was 16. Always glad i have that in the safe.

USAF_Vet
March 25, 2011, 02:30 PM
I wanted an AA-12 when I saw it on future Weapons. I wanted it even more when I saw Predators. Then I decided I had to have one no matter the cost when I saw the Expendables. Too bad I will never own one.

Sgt.Murtaugh
March 25, 2011, 05:11 PM
video games and tv, in that order.

I also grew up shooting guns but the Video Games I played always made me want to go out and shoot new stuff.

modifiedbrowning
March 25, 2011, 05:12 PM
When I was a teenager back in the eighties I had a firearms book that I read a couple hundred times. I thought the Walther P88 was the best looking pistol in the book. Later when I started buying guns I bought a P88 when I could finally afford one.

ForumSurfer
March 25, 2011, 05:35 PM
I also grew up shooting guns but the Video Games I played always made me want to go out and shoot new stuff.

Yeah every time I've ever mentioned that video games do affect firearms sales, someone tells me how silly that is. It isn't something that is quantifiable, but it is an influence for anyone under 30 and some of us over 30. Where were you to backup my claims there, bud?

o Unforgiven o
March 25, 2011, 06:34 PM
Noisy cricket.
No worries about an underpowered "pocket gun"
Haha, gotta love MIB. I think the recoil may be a bit much though. ;)

jlrhiner
March 25, 2011, 09:40 PM
Am I the only one in the world to buy a "Dirty Harry" gun? ( a 6" model 29 S&W for you heathens)

BobOfTheFuture
March 25, 2011, 10:36 PM
Enemy At the Gates - M91/30

COD1 made me want a PPSH and an Enfield bad.

Saving Pvt. Ryan - Springfield

Band of Brothers - well... uh, everything,

Games in general, I regularly say on these kinds of forums that games are introducing a whole new gen. to shooting... an I usually get shot down by grumpy old people :)

Gordon_Freeman
March 25, 2011, 11:13 PM
The video game Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 can have quite an influence.

GCBurner
March 25, 2011, 11:15 PM
Am I the only one in the world to buy a "Dirty Harry" gun? ( a 6" model 29 S&W for you heathens)
Got one! I haven't lucked into the .44 Automag yet, though.

mljdeckard
March 25, 2011, 11:25 PM
I also like(d) the look of the Beretta, and I was glad to get issued one when I first joined the army, but I outgrew the look, now I appreciate function, and there are a lot of pistols I shoot better. And the one I was issued for this go around is falling apart.

"Get rid of that nickle-plated sissy gun and get yourself a Glock." I didn't jump up and buy one because of that movie, but I used the line plenty of times while I carried one.

Now I am glad that 1911s are both vastly iconic and what I shoot best.

Arkansas Paul
March 25, 2011, 11:30 PM
I haven't purchased a gun just because of a movie or tv show, but my love of westerns no doubt plays a role in my love for single actions and lever guns.

marineimaging
March 25, 2011, 11:35 PM
My brother and I used to hunt and fish the rivers and swamps around South East Texas. We used my grandfathers old pump .22 and .410. We later worked in LE. He carried several different side arms throughout his years but I carred a S&W .38 +P HP's. Then, I took a 30 year hiatus from guns chosing instead to put all my money and time in fishing and boats. Christmas this year my grandaughter bought me a game cleaning knife set and it was like a light switch went on. Not only did I jump back in with both feet, the recent earthquakes and floods and hurricanes and Katrina and Ike and stories about the events in Japan on the news made me realize once again how vulnerable we are to nature. So, mine was the news media.

db_tanker
March 25, 2011, 11:39 PM
heh...

1858 Remington conversion because of Preacher (Pale Rider)

Thompson Center Contender in 45-70 (Hard Target)

SS Mini-14 but wish it were an AC 556 (A-Team)

I am sure that the upcoming Captain America The First Avenger movie will increase 1911 and Thompson replica sales a bit. :)

D

FROGO207
March 25, 2011, 11:39 PM
Dirty Harry had a 44 Auto Mag and I just had to have one. Then I sold it cause I could not afford to get the stuff to reload the ammo for it.:banghead: Young and stupid was I.:D

nwilliams
March 25, 2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah every time I've ever mentioned that video games do affect firearms sales, someone tells me how silly that is. It isn't something that is quantifiable, but it is an influence for anyone under 30 and some of us over 30. Where were you to backup my claims there, bud?

I completely agree that video games can influence gun interest. I'm over 30 and grew up playing video games and I still do. I will admit there are plenty of games that had me wanting to buy new guns because of the guns in the game, I would say more than even movies and television shows.

rondog
March 25, 2011, 11:46 PM
Does the nightly news count?

W.E.G.
March 25, 2011, 11:52 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/movies/gunsmoke.jpg

rstull85
March 26, 2011, 12:16 AM
I am actually bouncing between the high road and call of duty modern warfare 2 right now. I cant say that its convinced me to buy anything new though. Sometime it might make me miss something that i used to have. But movies and games might have something to do with my fondness of World War 2 weapons.

GRIZ22
March 26, 2011, 12:18 AM
If a PPK was good enough for James Bond it had to be good enough for me.

NMGonzo
March 26, 2011, 12:38 AM
sp101

bad lieutenant

Murcielago
March 26, 2011, 12:44 AM
Walther PPK - still a sexy gun, though I sold it over a year ago.

Bond. James Bond.

glock36
March 26, 2011, 12:50 AM
I was living in Fresno California when the Luby's massacre down in Texas happened, with all the press the Glock was getting I figured it was only a matter of time before the talking heads of California outlawed them so I went out and bought my first of many Glocks and never looked back.

kayak-man
March 26, 2011, 12:58 AM
I must admit that the episode on "Deadliest Warrior" featuring the Spetsnatz turned me onto the Makarov PM. Right now I'm wanting a Saiga 12.

Same here. I'm thinking of getting the Makarov for my CCW.

I remember watching JAWS for the first time, and thinking "I want that gun!" I'm probably going to spend my next paycheck on a M1 Garand

ny32182
March 26, 2011, 01:00 AM
I bought a S&W 1006 because of "Training Day".

Prorock
March 26, 2011, 01:11 AM
Hasn't happened yet but the first .45 I purchase will be a Glock 21. Justified

MikeNice
March 26, 2011, 01:31 AM
That show is the main reason I want a Saiga 12ga.

I will also admit that anytime I read a Mike Hammer novel I want to go out and buy a Model 1911 in .45. Mickey Spillane makes that gun sound like the right hand of God.

karlkcfi
March 26, 2011, 11:49 AM
Smith Model 29 44magnum, thank you Dirty Harry....

Taurus 92, thank you Spencer for Hire(close as I could afford)

Browning Hipower 9mm, thank you The Bodyguard

Black Knight
March 26, 2011, 08:34 PM
Back in the 1970's there was a cop show "Starski & Hutch". David Soul played Ken Hutchinson (Hutch). Hutch carried three guns during the series, a snub nosed 38 (pilot episode), a 4" Colt Python (episodes 2-7), and a 6" Colt Python(the rest of the series). The 6" Colt Python is the one everybody remembers. When I got my first job that required me to have a gun (Armed Security Officer) guess what I got. That's right a 6" Colt Python that I still have along with its original holster (a Bianchi model 5BH).

A little trivia: How can you tell the difference between the 4" and 6" Pythons without looking at the barrels?

Answer: The 4" barrel Python had the Colt factory wooden grips (stocks), the 6" Python had Pachmayer Presentation grips.

straybullet
March 27, 2011, 12:29 AM
I now want a Ruger Redhawk Alaskian .454, saw it in the movie "Faster" and thought it just looked plain mean. And the movie "Max Payne" for my Taurus Judge....blowing bathroom stall doors open just kinda stuck with me... :D , and I do have to say that "True Grit" while not influencing me to buy yet another wheel gun sure made me hit the range with a couple of mine for a few weeks straight.

Nushif
March 27, 2011, 12:34 AM
Spaghetti Westerns....

They made me buy and love a lever action.

Dimis
March 27, 2011, 12:39 AM
11 o clock news...
made me buy a 12 gauge and a 1911

woad_yurt
March 27, 2011, 03:23 AM
This medium we're using right here, the internet forum, influenced me the most by far. I never bought anything because of a book, movie, TV show, etc.

kiskicowboy
March 27, 2011, 03:23 AM
Still have my S&W 645, and Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster...never guess I was (and still am) a big fan of Miami Vice. Now if only I could get my hands on a Ferrari Daytona...

The Lone Haranguer
March 27, 2011, 04:29 AM

No, but sometimes after the purchase I will point to a gun and say, "Look, this is/was carried by ______ and/or _______."

Carl N. Brown
March 27, 2011, 04:41 AM
I got a Mattel Thunder Burp because Peter Graves used a 1928 Thompson fighting nuclear mutant grasshoppers in "The Beginning of the End".

I now own a AutoOrdnance TM1 carbine largely because Tom Hanks carried an M1 Thompson in "Saving Private Ryan" (OK, that was my excuse). And a Mosin-Nagant blamed on "Enemy at the Gates".

Cal-gun Fan
March 27, 2011, 10:47 AM
Russian technology astounds me. So much of their focus, at least up until the end of the cold war, was put on weapons. They were able to make top of the line weapons, tanks, jets, but could not make a working refrigerator, or give every citizen a bed.
I read a book about the AK-47 called The Gun, by C.J. Chivers. It talked about the process through which the AK was made, Kalashnikov himself, the derivatives of the rifle, and the political reasons for its widespread use. That is partly what is influencing me to get a genuine Russian-made SGL-21 71, and will most likely lead me towards collecting AK's :)

TexasBill
March 27, 2011, 07:00 PM
Like millions of American kids, I was entranced by Roy Rogers, Wild Bill Hickock, The Lone Ranger, The Cisco Kid, Paladin and all the other Western heroes of the 1950s and 1960s. However, I never did have a passion for a Colt SAA.

I had both the Model 29 and the .44 Auto Mag before Dirty Harry. I also had the .357 Auto Mag.

However, Broderick Crawford playing Dan Mathews in Highway Patrol, Lee Marvin in M Squad, Mike Connors in Tightrope, Craig Stevens in Peter Gunn, Ephrem Zimbalist in 77 Sunset Strip, and countless cops and PIs from that era made a .38 Special snubbie a must-have. In fact, several must-haves and one still-have.

And, yes, a certain suave British secret agent influenced my purchase of a Walther PPK. I still have a Walther .380, but it's now a PK380. Perhaps Mr. Bond will use one of these in a future film.

ObsidianOne
March 28, 2011, 04:49 PM
Well I guess I belong to the club now, bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and I can't help but to feel my love of these rifles is somewhat connected to Enemy at the Gates.

gf1723
March 28, 2011, 10:38 PM
The movie Heat kind of influenced my AR-15 purchase. Even though it's an older movie, it's been one of my favorite bank robbery movies! Not going to lie either, the video game series Left 4 Dead also somewhat influenced the AR-15 buy.

I almost bought a HK USP from the movie Collateral. I ended up with a 1911 instead, but will think about an HK USP as a future carry.

NoirFan
March 28, 2011, 11:43 PM
Basically any gun that Phillip Marlowe or Sam Spade carried in those old pulp detective novels, I would like to have. Short-barreled .38s, Lugers that would somehow disappear into a pants pocket, 38-44 'hand cannons', all that stuff.

I also like pre-AR15 police/military long guns for that same reason. Lever-action rifles, M14s, .351 Winchesters, wood-stocked riot shotguns and the like.

alemonkey
March 28, 2011, 11:52 PM
Quigley Down Under came out when I was a teenager and I have wanted a Sharps ever since then. I finally bought one about 5 years ago:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/bkoenig1975/sharps-1.jpg

Airburst
March 28, 2011, 11:58 PM
Both the local media and national media. I was living in San Diego at the time and a horrific robbery/murder occured in the Gas Lamp and basically this scumbag walks up to a couple in the street, demands money and when it didn't immediately go his way, he shot the guy in the head and ran off. I think he got twenty bucks or so. I went out and bought me a FEG 380 that I carried in my briefcase when I was walking downtown, seeing my accounts. (I still have that gun and I shoot it quite well) I also bought me a TEC DC9 when the PRC banned a bunch of assault weapons. I still have that too, but it is broken right now and sits in the back of my safe, dreaming of the time it will see the light of day.:p Also bought me a post ban MAK90, cause well you know why.;)

Rembrandt
March 28, 2011, 11:58 PM
Vic Morrow (Sgt Saunders, TV series "Combat"), always wanted a Thompson.....unfortunately I've yet to get the real thing, perhaps a semi-auto version will do.

Shoot66
March 29, 2011, 12:00 AM
The 1911. In Europe, where SIG-Sauers, HKs, Walthers, Glocks and CZs are the daily tools, the 1911 is generally considered an outdated concept.

commygun
March 29, 2011, 12:17 AM
All the lies and BS accompanying the Million Mom March convinced me to get an AK clone. Thanks Moms!

bushmaster1313
March 29, 2011, 01:16 AM
Bought my first gun after I read the article in Esquire entitled: "The case for handguns" in 1981 or so.

See thread here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-156364.html

makarovnik
March 29, 2011, 02:01 AM
Bought my first handgun right after the Columbine incident. Not exactly why but it got me thinking about many things.

Guy de Loimbard
March 29, 2011, 12:15 PM
I watched the Magnificent 7 too many times and ended up with a Ruger Blackhawk.

farson135
March 29, 2011, 05:53 PM
Watching the movie Shooter made me want a Cheytec .408 but then again I have always wanted to take a shot out to a mile. Unfortunately I doubt I will be in an income bracket that would allow me to buy it for a few years (or decades).

If you enjoyed reading about "Media That Influenced You To Buy A Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!