This may have been the closest I've come to needing my handgun ....

PDA

PcolaDawg
March 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
My wife and I were driving back from the beach last Sunday night (Johnson Beach in Perdido Key, Florida) and we were on a two lane, unlighted road that we had to ourselves.

Then, as I was motoring by, we both noticed a woman trying to get our attention by running on the side of the road waving her lighted cell phone and using it as a beacon. I went on by, but my wife asked me to stop because it looked like she might be in trouble. She was right, but something about it didn't seem right to me. Regardless, I stopped, turned around and went back to see if she was alright.

When I rolled down my window and she came up to the car I smelled alcohol and weed. Also, she was clutching a computer keyboard. :confused:

She thanked us profusely for stopping and then asked for a ride into town. Well, at this point I'm not going to leave her out there by herself, so I agreed to give her a ride. She immediately commented on how nice the car was (I drive a Mercedes) and she started calling her boyfriend and other assorted friends.

Well, at this point I'm wondering why she needed to hitch a ride when she's got all of these friends she can call, etc. Plus, I just started getting a bad feeling, and it didn't help that she was sitting right behind my wife. That made me nervous and, for some reason, I got the picture in my mind of her having a knife.

Anyway, at this point I eased my S&W Bodyguard .380 out of it's pocket holster, flipped the safety off, and kept it gripped as I drove with one hand. We then had an uneventful drive into town and she asked us to drop her off at a convenience store near the Pensacola Naval Base.

When she left the car, I turned to watch her leave and I noticed a very large, very sharp looking, pair of scissors in the back seat where she had been sitting. I told her that I thought she left something, and she turned back to get them, sounded a little sheepish, and said that she had that 'just in case'.

Now, I can understand a woman feeling the need to have some protection if she's getting into a car with total strangers (although I don't understand a woman willingly putting herself in that situation), but it still gives me the hives that this gal was sitting right behind my wife with a pair of scissors ready to use as a weapon.

This is the first hitchhiker I've ever picked up (and will likely be my last), and we probably weren't in any real danger, but I am VERY glad I was carrying a gun. I can tell you, that if she made any threats against my wife and had wielded the scissors as a weapon I would have emptied a clip of hollow point .380s into her as fast as I could pull the trigger. :fire:

VERY GLAD it never came to that, and VERY GLAD I have the right to arm myself to protect me and mine should I ever find myself in a desperate life or death situation. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "This may have been the closest I've come to needing my handgun ...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackbeard
March 25, 2011, 12:03 PM
Sounds like maybe she didn't know where she was and therefore couldn't call people to pick her up.

franconialocal
March 25, 2011, 12:07 PM
I never pick up hitch-hikers. Period.

ColtPythonElite
March 25, 2011, 12:09 PM
If she had wanted to, she could have killed you from the backseat with her scissors before you'd ever got a shot off.

PcolaDawg
March 25, 2011, 12:11 PM
Sounds like maybe she didn't know where she was and therefore couldn't call people to pick her up.
Well that was another weird thing. You may recall she was holding a computer keyboard. I asked where the heck she had gotten it, and she told me the friend she was visiting had just given it to her.

That gave me the impression she knew exactly where she was. Also, it gave me the impression that she had stolen the keyboard and needed to leave fast. That is pure speculation on my part, though.

PcolaDawg
March 25, 2011, 12:13 PM
If she had wanted to, she could have killed you from the backseat with her scissors before you'd ever got a shot off.
Yeah, that thought did cross my mind. Which is why I had unholstered my gun and flipped the safety off.

Not a good position to have put my wife and I in.

mg.mikael
March 25, 2011, 12:19 PM
Should have just called her a taxi, or then again she could have called a taxi since she has a cell-phone.:scrutiny: Either way I wouldn't have let some stranger hop in the car for a ride wether it was a man or woman.

RobNDenver
March 25, 2011, 07:39 PM
Dear Dawg;

I am glad that you and your wife are still alive, and that nothing happened to you due to your amazing lack of judgement.

This time . . .

As a long time police officer, who has put thousands, seriously thousands of people in my car, never once did I pick up a hitchhiker while off duty and with my wife, nor did I ever put one in a cruiser without searching them.

Then you mention unholstering your firearm, and flipping off the safety, as if that could have protected you.

If you had to use your gun while trying to stop your car, or pull off the road when attacked, worry about yourself and your wife in the car with a robber or worse, you likely would have lost your gun, your car and your wife, while retaining the scissors, that could have been stuck in your neck, severing your carotid artery and killing you.

Call me an a)(&*(&* for saying it, but you should have titled your post "This may have been the closest I've come to getting us killed". . .

Don't put you and your wife at risk like that ever again, please.

clutch
March 25, 2011, 07:56 PM
When one hitchhiker turns into many, it is time to drive away. I'm not a fear monger but damn, you were lucky. This could have ended differently and I think you can see it now that you have thought about it.

If it makes you feel better, I once gave a fair amount of cash to a guy with a story that claimed he was on his way home and ran out of gas at a rest stop because he left his wallet at home. I'd have probably given him more but my streetwise, now ex wife, showed up after using the restroom at the road side stop, understood the con that was in progress.

A bit of thinking about some inconsistencies in the guys story confirmed I was about to be a real sucker. I'll admit it, that day I was a fish, I swallowed the hook.

The truly criminal act to this is someday I'll meet someone that really needs a hand I'm willing to give but I'm now pre-disposed to consider their story a scam.

Clutch

Larry E
March 25, 2011, 08:06 PM
Like others I never pick up hitchhikers, especially at night. Being the gallant coming to the rescue can easily get a person killed anymore.

leadcounsel
March 25, 2011, 08:33 PM
I don't make a habit of picking up hitchhikers, but I have on occassion. I've also hitched on rare occassion. Again, not the brightest of ideas, but sometimes it seems necessary.

I was having this conversation with my brother and my position was that it's a good policy to never pick up hitchers due to the danger. His point was, "well what if you are the person that saves their life, because the next car could be a murderer...?"

Well, I know it's not my job to save others, but if I get a good vibe from someone and the weather sucks or whatnot, I will consider picking them up. I recently gave a homeless veteran and his young dog who were on the on-ramp to the highway on a rainy day a ride. I was armed and felt zero threat. I then bought them a meal at McDonalds and it was part of my way to give back...

Back to the OP - if I were in that situation, I would have offered to call her a taxi, help her with the location and even waited until a cab arrived. But a woman in that situation, where clearly something is wrong with her, and my wife was in the car - I would not have picked her up and put us in that situation. Maybe 5 years ago and more naive... but not now. You are lucky. So is your wife.

hermannr
March 25, 2011, 08:44 PM
I think it more has more to do with where you are whether you pick up hitchikers, or not. I have hichhiked a lot of the last 60 years, and have been given rides in everything from old Ford pickups, to a Rolls Royce. However, where I hitchhike, there is no taxi, you either drive your own car/truck, walk the 20+ miles into town, or you hitchhike. If your car is disabled for some reason, well....

Up on this mountain there are people that don't even own a car (too many DUI's or whatever reason) They all walk to town, or hitch, or a combination of the two. Yes, I pick people up, always have, because I have been there with my thumb out in the snow because I needed something from town.

Would I pick someone up in downtown Seattle or downtown Spokane? No.

Skyshot
March 25, 2011, 09:00 PM
I"m glad things went Ok for you and your wife. How does she feel about the situation. It seems that men are more wary in that kind of situation and women are more emotional towards one of thier own gender. Had it been a man you'd not have turned around probably. Or do you think she would have reacted the same?

raveneap
March 25, 2011, 09:05 PM
No hitchhikers. When I was in the Navy, some 55 years ago, times were different and I did a lot of hitchhiking. But, as I said, times were different. I was a LEO for 30 years and have to admit, the one time I didn't search a person I put i n the cruiser back seat (a juvenile going to detention) I could have paid dearly for it. When I off loaded him, I looked in the back seat and there was a very large hunting knife laying there. That was some 50 years ago and I still remember it clear as a bell.

pbearperry
March 25, 2011, 09:19 PM
Most likely you picked up a druggy,part time hooker,who either just ripped someone off or did a house break.I understand why you stopped because you mosy likely were brought up right to watch out for women in distress.The only problem is that things are not like they were years ago and most women in trouble are trouble themselves.I am glad you and your wife got off Scott Free.

RTR_RTR
March 25, 2011, 09:41 PM
No hitchhikers. I'll stop to help people on the side of the road on a case by case basis based on the feel of the situation (person in need, location, public-ness of the area, etc). You're at least in a position to run as a last resort there if need be. Completely vulnerable to a passenger while driving a car.

In your specific instance, rudeness is street acceptable. You slowed down, smelled weed/alcohol and saw the incredibly out of place keyboard. Drive away.

Ignition Override
March 25, 2011, 10:20 PM
We would never even consider picking people up, and I would only consider stopping at a distance from someone, in the day time and only if by myself, with the foot ready to hit the gas pedal.

A) A clever pair near Fairhope, AL used a car as a prop years ago on a quiet road. You must know the tactic. The "lady" stands by a car with the hood up, and attracts all of your attention.
The friend comes from a blind spot with a gun.

B) Here in Memphis about 30-40 years ago, a guy who retired from the company stopped at a red light by the hospital district, on the quiet street north of Union, late at night.
As the 'Dude' from the front waved at him and approached Danny's car, Danny barely noticed -in his rear view mirror- the stranger's buddy scampering, but bent over, Behind the car from one side to the other.

Danny said that he made his handgun visible, and both dudes decided to walk or run away. If you don't have access to a gun (I don't have a handgun), how close do you let the only visible pedestrian get to your car?

How many drivers would look into a mirror, or Be Able to notice the hidden, second person in the daytime or night?

C) A buddy (who grew up on a farm in west TN) with another company was lost on a rural dirt road several years ago, down in Desoto
or Marshall County MS. These counties border west TN.
As he turned around at the dead end, the few guys he had just passed were now standing in a line Across the road, Blocking it.
They were maybe 100-200 feet away.

He figured that his only sure defense was a quick Blitzkrieg offense, and at the risk of hitting somebody, floored the pedal and made them scatter from the road. Some of us might not be mentally prepared to make a quick decision in such an abrupt, weird situation.
This was in the daytime......

D) Lots of cars stolen from Memphis are found in Marshall County, and when my wife's was stolen years ago, the local Deputy who had located it told us to not even try to look for it, but meet him at the BP station by Hwy 78. It was dark.
After going down the most remote gravel roads, when we stepped from his squad car by the stolen car, it appeared to the Deputy that the two or three tall 'Dudes' standing nearby might have known who the thieves were.

His warning to not look for it was not because we might get lost, but for other reasons.

bigfatdave
March 25, 2011, 11:12 PM
Where do you practice driving and shooting into the back seat?

9mmforMe
March 25, 2011, 11:45 PM
Gald you guys were not hurt in any way. I have a young daughter and would never stop to pick up a hitcher with she and my wife in the car. I wouldn't pick anyone up if I was solo too. I think in a similar situation either calling a cab or the police would be a prudent idea. The cops could have secured the situation in the most effective, safe fashion for everyone involved.

justin 561
March 25, 2011, 11:57 PM
I smelled alcohol and weed. Also, she was clutching a computer keyboard

What? I mean come on, who doesn't carry a keyboard down a 2 lane round after consuming alcohol and weed? Sounds like one hell of a Sunday night to me. But honestly, I increase my speed if I see someone trying to flag me down. I am not a taxi nor a police officer so I can offer NO HELP. Let her rob someone else.

Toforo
March 26, 2011, 12:54 AM
Has anyone heard the one about the blonde walking down the road at night with a cell-phone, computer keyboard, and a pair of scissors?

Seriously - stop me if you've heard this one.....

:D:neener::D

-eaux-
March 26, 2011, 01:49 AM
i'll try to be tactful here,
I hope that in retrospect you nominate yourself for the Darwin Award.
I've been known to stop and offer bottled water or the use of my cell phone after i've dialed a towtruck service to a stranded motorist, or even help changing a tire for a little old lady.
But letting a stranger who reeks of booze and weed get into my car (while my wife's in it!) ????
Man, it's a good thing you didn't have to exercise your "emptying my .380 into the crazy broad in the backseat while maintaining control of my vehicle and noone getting stabbed" skills!
You dodged the bullet that time (or dodged the fiskars?) but i surely hope you don't ever take that risk again. Being armed is NOT an excuse to comprimise situational awareness.

paramedic70002
March 26, 2011, 09:18 AM
Since she showed you hers, you should have told her she wasn't the only one prepared, and suggest next time she not leave her protection behind.

I probably wouldn't have stopped, and definitely wouldn't have given her a ride. She had the ability to call 911, and as you said, had lots of friends.

Birdmang
March 26, 2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for helping someone who was down on their luck and not being afraid. You did the right thing.

Aw4g63
March 26, 2011, 10:08 AM
Usually I make hitch hikers ride in the trunk.

LHRGunslinger
March 26, 2011, 10:26 AM
Even if it was an uncomfortable situation you should feel good knowing you helped a person out of a tight spot.

spook
March 26, 2011, 10:30 AM
I never pick up hitchhikers. A dear friend had his throat slit by a hitchhiker he picked up on US1 in South Miami.

HOOfan_1
March 26, 2011, 10:45 AM
A) A clever pair near Fairhope, AL used a car as a prop years ago on a quiet road. You must know the tactic. The "lady" stands by a car with the hood up, and attracts all of your attention.
The friend comes from a blind spot with a gun.

These days, people have cell phones, they can call for help. I sure as heck am not stopping. As with the OP, I might call them a taxi....a black and white (or in my case silver and blue) Taxi.

#77 is the number for State Police in VA, I would just dial #77 and say, there is a broken down car at mile marker 154 on I-64 West. Or there is a strange girl trying to flag down cars on such and such road between Whosit Drive and Whatsit Avenue.

B) Here in Memphis about 30-40 years ago, a guy who retired from the company stopped at a red light by the hospital district, on the quiet street north of Union, late at night.
As the 'Dude' from the front waved at him and approached Danny's car, Danny barely noticed -in his rear view mirror- the stranger's buddy scampering, but bent over, Behind the car from one side to the other.

I work in Richmond, not a particularly safe city. I was taught in Driver's Ed and I have always followed it. Keep your doors locked at all times while in your car. If they come up and try the handle, that at least gives you some time to floor it. Heck, even if you have to hit the car in front of you, it is better than possibly getting killed in a car jacking. I've had people approach my car before trying to ask me questions. I keep the window rolled up and when I find out they are either looking for a ride or just plain being shady, I just brush them off. Many times they act like they can't hear me, although I can hear them perfectly well. I will not roll down the window, and I will tell them that too. I had a shady character walking down the middle of a street while I was stopped at a traffic light just this morning. He was "talking on his cell phone" or pretending too. I could also tell he was eyeing me. So I was eyeing him. I was also getting ready to gun it away from him or run him over if need be...yes I am prepared for that and would have done just what your buddy did on that dirt road.

My dad keeps a Saturday Night Special .22 revolver loaded with stingers in his glove compartment. It is now legal in Virginia to do without a CCP. I may have to think of doing the same now that I am working down town.

My current job makes me wish I could also concealed carry, because I work in a public building where homeless people hang out and druggies shoot up in the bathrooms and hookers turn trix in any semi-private area they can find, but carrying a firearm by non law enforcement is strictly prohibited.

answerguy
March 26, 2011, 11:50 AM
Her version of the story may have been:

I was desperate for a ride after being stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Finally a decent looking couple in a nice car stopped and offered me a ride.
Still, not knowing who they were made me nervous.
(dutring the ride I found it strange that they never asked me how I happened to get stranded out here or why I didn't call one of my friends for a ride)
Thank goodness I had a pair of large scissors with me.
Then I heard what sounded like the safety of gun being clicked off.
I don't know what they planned on doing but I wasn't going down without a fight. Fortunately all they did was drop me off at a convenience store some ways down the road. But things could have been much worse....
I swear I will never hitchhike again.

cavman
March 26, 2011, 11:56 AM
If I see someone needing a ride, I will usually give them one.

While some of the stories mentioned here are scary as well as tragic, I make a judgment call as I look at the person(s) and go from there. Maybe it will get me one day, but if I see someone who could use a hand, I will usually give them one.

gym
March 26, 2011, 01:11 PM
As mentioned you probablly picke up a druggy that broke down after robbing a house. Keep your alarm on next few days during the day. she may have got your plates of asked where you lived. They are good at getting information if you are unaware.
I never pick up anyone hitchhiking. It's a surfire way to get held up of worse. So far i my 62 years I have stopped 3 carjackings on myself before they got to the door, using mirrors when you drive a mercedes or a porshe type car in an urban enviornment is a must. You start getting distracted and someone is going to try to open your door. Especially awhen you said mercedes, I drive one also, and you have a bullseye on your back, understand that there are people out there who make their living stealing cars like this on a daily basis. I had one jump off the back of a crotch rocket, 'suzuki", in Manhatten, "when I lived there", I say a 6 inch blade, he saw a ppks looking at him, said have a nice day and took off. this is just business to them.

answerguy
March 26, 2011, 01:24 PM
i'll try to be tactful here,
I hope that in retrospect you nominate yourself for the Darwin Award.
I've been known to stop and offer bottled water or the use of my cell phone after i've dialed a towtruck service to a stranded motorist, or even help changing a tire for a little old lady.
But letting a stranger who reeks of booze and weed get into my car (while my wife's in it!) ????
Man, it's a good thing you didn't have to exercise your "emptying my .380 into the crazy broad in the backseat while maintaining control of my vehicle and noone getting stabbed" skills!
You dodged the bullet that time (or dodged the fiskars?) but i surely hope you don't ever take that risk again. Being armed is NOT an excuse to comprimise situational awareness.

Just to be fair you should nominate yourself for the Darwin Award also.
Stopping and offering water or a cell phone to a stranger? You realize they could have killed you were you stood while you handed them either of those items?:cool:

HOOfan_1
March 26, 2011, 01:55 PM
If I see someone needing a ride, I will usually give them one.

stuff like this stops be from letting sympathy cloud my judgment

http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2006-11-29/home/001.html

They were classmates, the murder's father was a deputy sherriff. The vicitm gave him a ride to the Library and was murdered because the murderer had a fight with his father and needed a car...

Ala Dan
March 26, 2011, 09:29 PM
All of them, MUST LEARN to use MOE & JOE~! ;) :D

Now, if I see a female being attacked on the side of the road, and help is
needed - SURE, I'm gonn'a try and halt the assault; and order someone
else to call 911~! That is just the solider and police officer in me. ;) :)

-eaux-
March 27, 2011, 01:18 AM
Just to be fair you should nominate yourself for the Darwin Award also.
Stopping and offering water or a cell phone to a stranger? You realize they could have killed you were you stood while you handed them either of those items?
to clarify, answerguy:
in the case I cited, my friend and I, both armed commissioned LEO's came upon a woman with 5 young children stranded on the side of the interstate in the middle of the day 200 yards from the nearest tree and only a half mile from the nearest exit in 110 deree August Louisiana weather.
We pulled up alongside and my friend rolled down his window enough to offer them that we'd run into town and bring them back some gatorade and water, on the house, and that I would use MY cellphone all by MYSELF to contact a tow service.
Both of which we did, without putting ourself in imminent danger, I dare say.
Back to my original point: Situational Awareness. :D

mljdeckard
March 27, 2011, 01:34 AM
I have had bad experiences with hitchikers before. Even ones who were in accidents. (They REALLY got nervous when I offered to call the police. After I dropped them off I did anyway.)

It is a horrible personal security risk. The only times I would consider helping out now would be when I see a person in obvious immediate danger, particularly if it is a small child, and even then I would probably call the police as I stopped. It would also be best if I had someone else in the car to cover me.

If someone isn't in danger, let the police do their job.

Fred Fuller
March 27, 2011, 01:56 AM
Hmm.

Strange woman.

Florida.

Brings someone else to mind... http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/US/wuornos805.htm

lpl

Trad Archer
March 27, 2011, 11:17 AM
I would have left her on the highway.

answerguy
March 27, 2011, 11:26 AM
I would have left her on the highway.
Really? Do you mean drive right passed her or have kicked her to the curb after having picked her up.

I would find either of those things difficult to do unless she did something really hinky.

youngda9
March 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
Ayone venture to guess the terminal performance of the mighty .380 after being fired through about a 4" thick car seat?

Next time, tell your wife that if she has cell phone batteries to use as a beacon then she could use them to call for help herself. You made a very very poor choice...especially after smelling weed and booze, come on man. Glad you are now ok.

BassHunter
March 27, 2011, 12:54 PM
It's amazing to me the amount of, "No way I'll stop for anyone" type replies to this thread. No wonder the world's in the crapper....

While I would have handled the OP's situation a bit differently myself, I most certainly would have stopped and offered help had I seen a person on the side of the road asking for help. Granted that this particular girl could have been a hazard, but she just as easily could have been your wife/ daughter who was out of gas/ broke down, and had dead phone batteries or no service.

I may be "old school" and I may not, but I still try to live my life by the Golden Rule. I belive if we all still did the same, the world would be a lot less crazy place.

JackTheRipper
March 27, 2011, 01:57 PM
Isn't picking up hitchhikers illegal?

You smelled alcohol and weed on her... You put yourself and your wife in danger... Sounds like it coulda ended bad... And I agree with another post, with her making the first move with those scissors, she would have gotten you before you got her... Be careful, be smart...

Would you have still given a ride to a man who smelled like alcohol and weed?

shadow9
March 27, 2011, 03:03 PM
This post is purely FASCINATING from a sociological standpoint, IMO. It demonstrates bystander apathy and phobia, paranioa (and what it can do to the mind), and just how similar, yet differently, the social "Classes" really do perceive the world.
I'm in my early-mid 20's and hung out with "That group" of kids. Never got into the substances they did, but certainly had fun watching and learning what that lifestyle is REALLY like. To this day, I maintain friendships with most of them. That said -

I can empathize with your reactions, emotionally. BUT - as stated, drawing a gun would not have saved you, and unloading a .380 in a small cabin with VERY solid soundproofing sounds like pain, and a lot of it. Plus, now there's bullet holes, a dead girl, or if she kicks your gun, a dead wife. Not pretty. Also, as said, situational awareness. The most common gunshot-victims are the one who were packing and thought they could out-shoot the enemy without using their head.

As for your suspect - at first glance, here's how it went down. She was partying, got stoned, got a bit drunk, maybe got a ride to her friend's house. Friend smokes up, gets a couple of beers, it's a usual night. She mentions her keyboard died, can't do her homework or work or whatever, so her dealer or friend throws her one. We've always got keyboards and odds n ends kickin' around. She gets her keyboard, but she decides she needs to get back. Or, things go down at the dealer's house, and she needs to vamoose ASAP. If your budget goes into escaping reality, you DON'T have the $$ OR the common sense to pack a knife. Or you've never looked into it. So, she grabs a pair of scissors to protect herself on her walk back.

Those people who are THAT heavy into the drug use, especially pot, are generally UNRELIABLE for rides or transport. That kind of lifestyle leads itself to DUI's, broken-down cars w/no money to fix them, etc.

So, she gets in your car. A "lower-class individual" WILL make a nice comment on a NICE car, seeing as it's probably one of the nicest she's been in for a LONG time. She would choose the wife's side of the backseat, seeing as it's closest to the curb, and as stated, female comfort.

The ride commences, anybody stoned who just got picked up (and was probably panicking - marijuana creates paranioa like you wouldn't believe), is going to be feeling excited they'll be off the curb. It warrants a call to the boyfriend, the other friends, and an update of "I'll be there ALOT sooner!". If she's middle aged, and still that heavily into that lifestyle, chances are she'll be acting like a 20-year old, not a 50 yo. anyways.

When she gets there, she's still stoned. She's also maybe still tipsy, will thank for the ride, and hop out. She's already a bit sheepish about inconveniencing somebody who had "other things to do with their night" (as assuming from appearance and car) rather than having to drive her druggy a$$ all over the city. So, when she gets out, and HER personal defense falls onto the seat, well, she'll be sheepish about it...poor girl probably didn't WANT you to have the reaction you DID.

Believe me, I've seen all kinds of sketchy situations, and I've hung out with sketchballs myself.
Likewise, common in the street world is the knowledge that sometimes, the rich and powerful have sick desires that are kept out of view of the public's eye to protect their images. The more its repressed, the more it needs to come out. Also, in low-income areas, a guy wearing a suit and driving a nice car isn't exactly a guarantee of a model-citizen either, and when you get the world eating from the palm of your hand, a confused stoned girl is a nice plaything for a late night adventure. Easily convinced, you know?

Please, DON'T take this as me aiming it at you. :) Just saying, it goes BOTH ways, and explaining why SHE was probably a little scared getting into that car.
Also explaining why I found the entire situation, and everyones viewpoints so interesting, and sharing one of my own from yet another angle.

Cheers!

HOOfan_1
March 27, 2011, 03:33 PM
This post is purely FASCINATING from a sociological standpoint, IMO. It demonstrates... paranioa

Hey so does concealed carry...

It's amazing to me the amount of, "No way I'll stop for anyone" type replies to this thread.

You must not read the news paper often then. Numerous instances of how this situation has ended in a death have been linked in this thread. Considering the message board we are posting on, full of concealed carry proponents. I'd say we are a cautious bunch. Besides, not stopping and not helping are two different things. Calling the police is plenty of help in a majority of cases.

she just as easily could have been your wife/ daughter who was out of gas/ broke down, and had dead phone batteries or no service.

except the OP specifically said she was calling her friends on the phone as she got into the car...

If it were my wife or daughter, I wouldn't want them to get in the car. They can just as easily say, would you please call the police for me. If the person offering the ride refused to call the police but insisted they get in the car...all the more reason to not get in the car.

sig220mw
March 27, 2011, 03:44 PM
I won't pick up a hitch hiker unless I am alone. No need to put anyone but myself in danger. Also I won't pick one up unless I AM ARMED.

I did a little hitch hiking while in college so I am sympathetic to people needing a ride. On the other hand, that was over 30 years ago and there are apparently more nuts around these days.

I wouldn't have done it.

BQuiz
March 27, 2011, 08:11 PM
In the words of comedian, Tim Wilson, in regards to hitch hikers:

"You can go anywhere in this country and back on a Greyhound Bus for $89. If you don't have a friend....a loved one....a momma....who can loan you $89, then you pretty much SUCK as a human being. And you definitely aint getting anywhere near my car!"

:D

Kidding aside, glad it turned out okay.

I typically have a no-hitch hiker policy, depending on the situation I guess.

I have done it once, and that was for a Marine, in uniform, who's truck had ran out of gas on the side of a long stretch of highway. He was on his way to the airport, outbound for Afghanistan. I took him to the next exit, got some gas, and brought him back to his truck. That turned out fine and I was very glad I helped the young man out.

gym
March 27, 2011, 08:21 PM
I must add that if you were to shoot through the seat in your mercedes, it may not come out the other side, mine is pretty solid, "I don't want to go test it". and if it does it probablly won't be going where you pointed it, and your windows may blow out if they were all closed. I have seen shooting into a car with the windos all up in the summer, blow out every one. so it is something to consider and maybe look into if anone ever has to shoot into or out of a vechicle, on top of your head flying off from the concussion, and loosing control of the vechicle. there are so many variables there that it may not be the best way to stop an attack from the back seat. Perhaps hitting the brakes or stopping the car to check a tire, would allow you to clear the vechicle prior to anything really happening. You may never be in this situation again, "I hope" but shooting isn't aways the best way to go. You could even have said, there is a police officer in an unmarked car who signaled me to pull over. By the time she looks around you are out of the car, in a better position to get off a clean shot if you had to. It would definatelly be better than firing through the seat.

RTR_RTR
March 27, 2011, 10:38 PM
I have no first hand experience, but a pistol will really blow out all the windows in a car? Windows seems strong, and the cabin isn't exactly sealed air tight.

metalman8600
March 28, 2011, 12:16 AM
Well I'm one of those people who won't ignore a person who looks like they need assistance. Of course it could be a trap, but it's a much higher chance that they actually need your help! If I was in their shoes I would want help. That women is just a helpless intoxicated women and not bait for a trap. There is always a chance though, I do carry. It's a young drunk female all alone with no one else in sight, not some disheveled Javier Bardem type guy.

"You can go anywhere in this country and back on a Greyhound Bus for $89. If you don't have a friend....a loved one....a momma....who can loan you $89, then you pretty much SUCK as a human being. And you definitely aint getting anywhere near my car!"

1 way cross country trip is $250.

It seems like many of you guys overreact to many situations. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a thread saying "Some guy just asked me what time of day it was, I told him in a loud voice "Stop where you are!". I then assessed the situation, put my 1911 off safe, and told the man "It's 15:00 hours.". Then I immediately made sure my family was ok."

PcolaDawg
March 28, 2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. Some of them are very interesting, to say the least.

But I've gotta ask those that think I would've shot THROUGH the seat with my .380 -

Why the heck would I have had to shoot through a seat? That comment makes no sense to me. All I had to do was turn a little bit and I could've touched her with the gun. There was no need to shoot through anything.

Maybe it would help if you knew that the hitcher was sitting behind the passenger seat. So it would have been a relatively easy shot, almost impossible to miss, imvho. The only reason I would've shot through a seat in that scenario was if I wanted to add a needless level of difficulty. :)

Anyway, as some on this thread have mentioned, I think she was as scared of me as I was of her. I could almost hear a sigh of relief when she realized that my wife was in the car. I think that lowered the danger level in her mind significantly, although it certainly didn't make me feel any better. :o

Pistol Ranch
March 28, 2011, 11:06 AM
A few years ago, I stopped at a Texas rest stop and walked into the head
that was plastered with "Please Help" signs.
Signs indicated a blue plymouth parked outside with a woman and two sleeping kids..they needed help/cash/gasoline to get home.
The woman and kids were there and I gave her a couple bucks.
My buddy saw the same woman/car/kids at the rest stop across the highway next week..

P.R.

Tinpig
March 28, 2011, 12:10 PM
When I was in the Army in the '60s I didn't have a car and I didn't have any money. There were many times I hitched to get home on a weekend pass.

I was amazed at the number of people who picked me up, bought me a cup of coffee and a sandwich and went out of their way to get me closer to home.

Call me naive, but I've never forgotten that kindness and I still try to repay it if I can. Only when I'm carrying, and never when I'm with my wife or kids, never when my spidey-sense is tingling:) and I'd never let someone sit behind me.
Tinpig

welldoya
March 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
That's a bad area that you picked her up in anyway. There's no way I would even slow down going thru there.

PcolaDawg
March 28, 2011, 12:43 PM
That's a bad area that you picked her up in anyway. There's no way I would even slow down going thru there.
Actually, we were on a deserted part of Bauer Road heading North to 98. It was near Tarkiln Bayou Preserve Park. I've never considered that a bad part of town. When I first moved to Pensacola, we lived off Bauer behind Helen Caro Elementary School. That was 14 years ago, but it was a very safe place to live, imo.

The-Reaver
March 28, 2011, 12:52 PM
Me & the wife where having a great night just being young again... giggling all that good stuff, well we decided to get out of the house for a little walk up to the mail box.

It was pretty late probably about 2230-2300 ish. When we got up to the box, some one rounded the corner in excess of 30 MPH, it was a white four door lasabre.

Well the passed us, made another turn down another road. Then they must have did a quick U-E around the corner or something because they came speeding back, as they where coming down the road they turned the lights off and angled the car towards us.

I pushed the wife out of the way & behind a tree & reached for my Taurus 92, didn't even have it out before they stopped, turned on the lights and backed up really slowly.

So I guess nowadays you can't even go check your mail, and the thought of someone pulling a gun on you is enough to stop the car.

PcolaDawg
March 28, 2011, 01:02 PM
Me & the wife where having a great night just being young again... giggling all that good stuff, well we decided to get out of the house for a little walk up to the mail box.

It was pretty late probably about 2230-2300 ish. When we got up to the box, some one rounded the corner in excess of 30 MPH, it was a white four door lasabre.

Well the passed us, made another turn down another road. Then they must have did a quick U-E around the corner or something because they came speeding back, as they where coming down the road they turned the lights off and angled the car towards us.

I pushed the wife out of the way & behind a tree & reached for my Taurus 92, didn't even have it out before they stopped, turned on the lights and backed up really slowly.

So I guess nowadays you can't even go check your mail, and the thought of someone pulling a gun on you is enough to stop the car.

Interesting. Y'know, people ask why I carry ALL the time (I even make sure my pajamas have pockets so I can carry my little revolver). Well, like what happened to you, you just never know when a normal night can turn violent. And when it does, it happens lightning fast.

I mean, my wife and I had just had a great night on the beach with family and friends and then, seemingly in an instant, I had someone in my car I wasn't sure about and had my hand around a pistol with the safety off ready to use it.

Bizarre how fast situations can change.

SSN Vet
March 28, 2011, 01:14 PM
I guess it's been a while since we've kicked around the "case of the hitchhiker" on THR....

As a dumb kid, I hitch hiked quite a bit.... and on at least one occasion, after getting sick and being abandoned by my "buddies" ~20 miles from home, on the wrong side of town, I was greatly helped by a man who obviously drove out of his way to deposit me near my home.

On one Sunday evening in CT, a navy buddy was driving back to the base with me from RI and we stopped to help a station wagon with a flat tire, which was occupied by a mother, a sickly looking grand father and a gaggle of kids . As soon as we stopped to offer assistance this other guy, in a pick-up truck, who had stopped before us, very quickly got in his vehicle and took off. The mother was apparently the only one who spoke any English, went on to tell us that the guy who took off had offered help, but insisted that the pretty ~12 year old girl go with him alone, to get the tire repaired. :( Much to my amazement, we found a gas station where the woman was able to buy a second hand tire and get it mounted, and saw them on their way.

We all have to decide how we are going to live our lives and what risks we will take. For some of us, the possibility of doing a good turn unto others is worth the risk.

Now that I have a family that depends on my support, I'm much more reticent about hitchhikers. But I don't have a never or always rule. I take each case one at a time..... considering things such as how many (if you've got a buddy to walk with, you'll likely get to enjoy your walk), size (can I take him), time of day, what I've got going on, etc....

If I'm on my way to work and I see a guy at 7:30 a.m., with a lunch box in his hand, wearing a mechanics uniform, on a well traveled road, he's probably going to get a lift, as will the teenager with the book bag.

I can't say that I've ever given a girl hitchhiker a lift, as I can't ever recall seeing one.

Times have changed and extra caution is certainly warranted.

I think the O.P. needs to invite his wife to read this thread and discuss the events in a constructive way, as she clearly influenced his decision to stop.

Do unto others as you can and as seems prudent. Though dying at the hands of a drunk pot head isn't exactly how I want to go out of this life, there are far worse fates potentially up around the next corner.

Life is not a risk free endeavor.

cassandrasdaddy
March 28, 2011, 01:17 PM
i hope i never get that scared

PcolaDawg
March 28, 2011, 01:26 PM
Yeah, if it wasn't for my wife, I would've kept on going. She kind of 'guilted' me into stopping. I've never picked up a hitchhiker in my life and probably wouldn't have in this instance, but my wife thought it might be an emergency. And I think she was right. The problem came with letting her into my car after I realized it wasn't an emergency and she might be 'altered' because of drugs or booze.

But, I tell ya, it just ain't in my nature to leave someone on the side of the road like that after I've talked with them and they need help. Dangerous and possibly stupid, but once I stopped I felt obligated to help unless it was super clear I was putting my wife and I in danger.

I was actually more afraid that she might be taking us to a place where we could've been robbed, than her actually robbing us.

But --- ya never know. :(

JTH
March 28, 2011, 01:36 PM
Back in the 60's things were somewhat more normal/civilized than today to say the least. The U.S. handn't been over run with illegal immigrants. There were exceptions but it was a safer simpler time.

I don't carry unless on a long road trip and have to stay in motels/hotels overnight. I don't pick up hitchhickers. The only way I'd stop, is to have my pistol ready and my doors would be locked and all I would do is crack my window, to see what the problem was, probably wouldn't even do that. Just to insane out there now!
JT

bigfatdave
March 28, 2011, 01:43 PM
If the passenger wants to stop, the passenger is tasked with defensive action if needed.
Driving and shooting only works in movies.

Onward Allusion
March 28, 2011, 03:51 PM

My wife thinks I'm off my rocker checking the mail armed...

ColdDeadHand
March 28, 2011, 04:50 PM
I got picked up on a rural highway on a very cold Missouri winter night. I was already going through hypothermia at that point and could barely get myself in the truck when he stopped. I could have died that night or at least lost a finger, ear or toe. The guy said it was cold enough he felt like leaving me there would have been manslaughter and he couldn't have lived with himself.

I'm still grateful to a guy I'll never see again. If it's really cold out, I'm a lot more likely to pick someone up.

I'm married with a small child. If either of them is in the car then I don't care if you're on fire, running down the road screaming, I'm not stopping, and don't get in my way either.

Now, cold night scenario with wife and kid in the car, I'm just going to have to dial 911 and hope the Sherriff finds you in good health. That's part of his job.

On another note I used to be very close friends with a man who had been an over-the-road trucker in Central America, from Texas all the way down to Panama. The old guys all told him only to stop at truck stops. He was hauling a full load of electronic equipment one night when he saw a man lying in the middle of the highway. My friend began slowing down to stop, then remembered all the old stories, "never stop, never stop". So my friend lays on his horn, the big "WONK WONNNNNK!!" kind of semi-truck horns. Guy in the road doesn't move. My friend slows down a little more and then says to himself, "What the hey, if the guy's dead already, this won't hurt him any more." My friend punches the gas and at the very last second the "dead guy" jumps up and runs off the road.

Had my friend stopped, he would have been the dead guy for real, not for pretend.

My point: this stuff is very situational. If you're armed and hanging out with your guy pal and he's armed too, then by all means be a good samaratin. Just don't bet the lives of your loved-ones on something like this.

makarovnik
March 29, 2011, 02:14 AM
Call 911 and drive on by. Sorry

stuckinsocal
March 29, 2011, 05:01 AM
Call 911 and drive on by. Sorry
This.
I've stopped to help people before and I've also been helped before. I appreciate when people stop to help when you're in need. But you have to be smart about it. Upon smelling alcohol and weed I simply would've driven off and probably called the police. She has a working phone, so she can call for help if needed. She also could've started walking to her destination or somewhere to get help, and it's probably not any more dangerous than getting into a car with complete strangers.

Davek1977
March 29, 2011, 07:25 AM
There are just too many variables involved in picking up hitchhikers, and its not worth the gamble to me. In today's world most people have cell phones, and even if the hitchhiker doesn't, chances are one of the cars driving by does, and likely has already called in a report. If not, theres no harm in doing so yourself, but if it comes down to my safety or yours...call me greedy, but I rank my well being slightly higher, thank you. I can tell you one thing....100% of the hitchhikers I've picked up have done me no harm. Then again, thats a sample of exactly zero....if I don't know you, you don't get in my vehicle, whether I'm unarmed, or have an arsenal on hand.

rooter
March 29, 2011, 09:34 AM
Aileen Wuornos....nuff said

Grey_Mana
March 29, 2011, 01:16 PM
Gun owners are aware and afraid of going to court because they lawfully protected themselves. The legal dangers of giving a hitchhiker a ride are too great:

A male driver alone who picks up any female hitchhiker could be looking at false rape charges. Likewise, if she happens to be a streetwalker and the police happen to stop you, you could get arrested for soliciting.

Giving any hitchhiker with drugs on them a ride, you happen to get stopped by the police - you lose your car.

wishin
March 29, 2011, 08:42 PM
You were lucky this time. Chalk this up to experience and resolve to be more careful in the future. Remember that "no good deed goes unpunished". Sadly....

If you enjoyed reading about "This may have been the closest I've come to needing my handgun ...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!