very, very small pest control with a very, very small gun.

PDA

Busyhands94
March 25, 2011, 09:35 PM
hello everybody, i recently have been having troubles with very very small pests because of it being spring when everything is reproducing. specifically the cranefly. there are usually tons of them bouncing around my lawn and landing on my face when i am trying to sleep. AND I HATE CRANEFLIES WITH THE WHITE HOT INTENSITY OF A BILLION SUNS :fire: i recently discovered a way i can kill even the biggest cranefly without having to find something to squish it with. even though i hate them i still want to give them a sporting chance! :p i like to take my Remington parlor pistol, put a cap on the nipple, (the kind you buy at a toy store) stuff a piece of toilet paper the size of my pinky nail into the breech and fill the rest of the breech piece with uncooked tapioca as sort of a tiny shotgun! :D if one of them is knocking around the house while i am trying to read or bugging me i can just load up this tiny shotgun and blow that sucker away. it does not matter that this load is only good to about 3 feet, because i can just wait until they land and then shoot them. now i tested it on one that was sitting next to my mailbox and he was looking at my girl, i shot from about 2 feet and it worked magnificently. this load also works for big spiders that run across your face when you are trying to take a nap, wasps, flies, large bees, and other annoying pests. the practical purpose of this load is that since it is tapioca mix propelled just by a cap you can use it indoors with little noise and smoke. the tapioca dissipates and is practically unnoticeable, the toilet paper either blends in with the other random cr@p on my floor if it stays intact but it usually gets blown up, and the cap just stays intact and on the nipple. that is something even snake shot can do, although this load makes snake shot in a .22 look like a 12 gauge, it is seriously anemic and won't work on anything bigger than large bugs.

If you enjoyed reading about "very, very small pest control with a very, very small gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kbbailey
March 25, 2011, 10:14 PM
I'm speechless.

Alec
March 25, 2011, 10:33 PM
Quite inventive! I'd like to try it sometime, though not on my face. I enjoyed your description.

Busyhands94
March 25, 2011, 10:57 PM
thanks! glad you like it! i found you can substitute tapioca with coarse cornmeal, it works well!

armoredman
March 25, 2011, 11:02 PM
Just when you thought you'd heard it all...a bug shotgun. That's awesome, but with a wasp, you might want to have a second one standing by, JUST in case!

mykeal
March 25, 2011, 11:06 PM
I can't wait for someone to come up with a magnum load.

Voodoochile
March 25, 2011, 11:13 PM
Makes me want to save my $$$ & get one of those lil pip squeaks because I sure get the run of spiders around here.

NG VI
March 25, 2011, 11:16 PM
I can't wait for someone to come up with a magnum load.

A regular cap.

Tinker2
March 25, 2011, 11:19 PM
And I though my shotguns were small. It is a interesting idea for some one with to much time on their hands.

grxy
March 25, 2011, 11:50 PM
A BB-gun without the BB will also work for bugs at very close range.
(Works good for spiders up near the ceiling). Or shoot rubber bands at them.

Busyhands94
March 26, 2011, 12:06 AM
i already have mad magnum loads for those really big bugs. you cap the breech, put a pinch of black powder in or even a few paper caps, put your wad on top, stick the breech in the gun, dump a pinch of tapioca down the bore and seat it with a small dowel, and then go blow some really scary bug away. it works extremely well and the effective range is still under five feet. but with a cap you just get 2-3 feet so that is an improvement. hard to imagine that little derringer could kill a rabbit humanely with the right load and a well placed shot but it is possible. it is no toy really. you can load it with the powder from 3 plastic caps and put a .17 caliber projectile (a .177 caliber pellet rolled down from 4.5 mm to 4.3mm) or a cast lead bullet and you will be able to shoot the pellet into oak so the skirt id flush with the wood. if you load 6 caps and a lead conical bullet (i cast my own .17 caliber bullets) you can shoot through a half inch of plywood. the only drawback is that it is loud and you can't shoot at your house. however it is a very versatile gun, you can use just a plastic cap and a pellet for indoor plinking (350 FPS with the right cap brand) or you could load a lead conical with powder and get at least 1000 FPS, or you could even load snake shot into this gun. as you can imagine the .17 snake shot are somewhat limited, you can't effectively hunt over 7-10 feet, you can load blanks to scare off pests from your property, you can stick the head of a strike anywhere match into the bolt and cap it and you can shoot tiny flares to light a barbecue that you just soaked in gas (really cool trick) i highly recommend getting one, i would have payed double the money for that gun, for the workmanship is incredibly fine and the fit and finish is spectacular! this gun makes my top 10 funnest guns to shoot as well as my top 10 most useful guns because the mechanism is really simple, it is easy to clean because you can disassemble it to clean all the tiny parts, you can make your own ammo with soldering wire and a lighter if pellets are unavailable, there is no trail of paperwork, it is powerful despite being tiny, the rifling is exquisitely done, and many other great features. i even am planning to make a dye push pellets through out of an old pair of pliers that will bring a .177 caliber pellet down to .17 without having to roll each individual pellet and that will make resizing the pellets a breeze. i could re-size the entire tin if i felt like doing so. i might even start selling them if i feel like it. short and to the point, GET ONE, THEY ARE WORTH IT! here's mine by a lighter, a tin of pellets, and her holster. i named her angel, she's a sweetie ain't she? packs one hell of a wallop for being so small. http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/?action=view&current=riderderringer.jpg

Busyhands94
March 26, 2011, 12:08 AM
failed to mention this gun works best and is most accurate with crossman field points. here's the link to where i got her: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=2034
the price is right at Dixie Gun Works!

Kruzr
March 26, 2011, 12:20 AM
Would it be easier to stop sleeping on the lawn and get window screens for the house?

:)

Busyhands94
March 26, 2011, 01:42 AM
if you close the doors they still find a way in, these are California bugs. and with the help of my cat Moxie i can keep the cranefly population down. besides if you buy locks for your doors you can still have burglars come in so why not have a gun? and besides i can't tell you how many times i have been trying to take a shower and i see one of those stupid things ricocheting around the walls of the shower and making a beeline for my crotch, if you were in that scenario you would be annoyed too. that is why when i have one buzzing around me annoying the heck out of me it just feels good to blast it like Frank Castle. and plus there needs to be some sort of population control for these things.

ElvinWarrior
March 26, 2011, 02:40 AM
Sounds like a really fun idea, but....

Ya gotta go around and clean up alot of Tapioca splats, which could, attract even more of the little pesky devils !!!

As one famous author once noted...

"If you kill a fly, 100 more come to it's funeral !!!" - Mark Twain

LOL !!!

Sincerely,

ElvinWarrior... aka... David

mykeal
March 26, 2011, 07:37 AM
"If you kill a fly, 100 more come to it's funeral !!!" - Mark Twain
So, now we'll need automatic versions? How about airborne?

Busyhands94
March 26, 2011, 03:04 PM
i am actually using dry uncooked tapioca, it is kinda like really tiny and light birdshot that disintegrate upon impact. it does not contain any liquid, so it is sorta like cornmeal but white and the particles are bigger. i doubt anyone would put tapioca in their expensive guns, that would be a big mess and would gum up the action.

robhof
March 26, 2011, 06:36 PM
We used to use rubber band guns in the Phillippines for pests indoors, although our house geckos usually kept out the smaller pests. Speaking of shower; my wife was showering one day in the Pi and a gecko was on the ceiling above her, the dampness caused the gecko to lose it's grip and join her. The neighbors thought I was murdering my wife and came over. She always checked the room for geckos after that incident.

Remo223
March 26, 2011, 07:28 PM
failed to mention this gun works best and is most accurate with crossman field points. here's the link to where i got her: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=2034
the price is right at Dixie Gun Works!
Isn't this one better?

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=15315

You could just shoot plain old crossman pellets for pellet guns.

Busyhands94
March 26, 2011, 08:54 PM
209 primers are a pain in the arse to find especially in ************, and besides, from what i have heard that one has no rear sight, but the rider derringer does.

Remo223
March 26, 2011, 09:01 PM
I'd like to hear more details how you use soldering wire to make projectiles.

Busyhands94
March 26, 2011, 09:40 PM
you just take a piece of solder, hit it with a lighter so a drop forms on the end, and when it cools see if it fits the bore well enough, if it is too loose then heat it a little more, if it fits tight enough then cut it off with some wire cutters or a knife. it's pretty easy actually.

VA27
March 27, 2011, 12:43 AM
Look for a magic shop that sells 'flash paper'. Use that for an 'under shot' wad. Not only will it provide a tracer effect, it will act as a flame thrower to incinerate the body parts of your enemy.

Busyhands94
March 27, 2011, 01:06 AM
i actually make my own flash paper, it is not really the same as flash paper but it works as fuse if you twist it up and wrap cellophane around it. it even burns underwater with the cellophane. i use it for M80s. but the cool thing about it is that it burns with a really cool red flame.

BCRider
March 27, 2011, 01:39 AM
...Speaking of shower; my wife was showering one day in the Pi and a gecko was on the ceiling above her, the dampness caused the gecko to lose it's grip and join her.....

Never mind your wife's reaction. Can you imagine the look on the gecko's face as it's pads lost grip one by one and it fell down towards that horrible massive pink monster below it?

Yes, I spend too much time thinking in "cartoon".... :D

Back to the bug gun.... While I applaud your innovative solution I can't help thinking that a paper cap in the shower would be less than ideal. Not to mention that even if you could keep the cap dry that the tapioca powder would swell from the moisture. So my own inside bug solution that still gives me the option of a propelled mass as the implement of buggly demise is the Fly Gun.... All weather and fast reloading. And you can't lose the "bullet" because it's attached securely to the frame! :D

http://www.amazingflygun.com/

Busyhands94
March 27, 2011, 02:06 AM
haha! i had one of those when i was a kid, i made just about every bug on our property extinct. then more came to annoy me and climb on me when i am trying to sleep.

If you enjoyed reading about "very, very small pest control with a very, very small gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!