Sig Sauer

PDA

Joker19
March 25, 2011, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately Sig Sauer is NOT the same as they were 10 years ago! They are NOT the great company they used to be. I am sorry that I can not recommend them any more. I have owned Sigs since they began! For hells sake I have had clips on order for over 5 months and as of 3/29/3011 it will have been 6 months. Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Sig Sauer!!!:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Sauer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zerodefect
March 25, 2011, 10:18 PM
Sig is the new Kimber.

Too bad. I really wanted a P556.

Mad Magyar
March 25, 2011, 11:40 PM
I don't know why pistoleros insist on purchasing original mags from the mfgr when they are readily available from other sources: in your case you might have gone to CDNN or a host of others; probably cheaper too...

E304life
March 26, 2011, 08:59 PM
Does Sig Sauer have any worse QC and service than any other major manufacturer?

hirundo82
March 26, 2011, 09:09 PM
Sig had supply issues with mags a while back--a couple years ago (during the Obama pamnic) they were shipping new guns with one mag only. I don't know if that is still going on, but I haven't had any problems finding Sig mags recently--Top Gun Supply (http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-magazines/) (my usual source for Sig mags) seems to have a good variety in stock.

utcaleb
March 26, 2011, 09:23 PM
Sig is out of the mags for both of my Sig pistols. I have also had difficulty finding them in any local shops (I live in ATL). Who (manufacturers) are good after-market alternatives?

JR47
March 26, 2011, 09:27 PM
I have to second the use of a manufacturer for magazines of popular models as being fruitless.

Manufacturers sell complete guns. Their accessory service isn't a primary function. Especially when most everyone buys them from vendors much more cheaply than they sell them.

I own several Sigs, the latest being a P229 DAO gun, and it came with a pair of magazines. I promptly ordered another pair from CDNN, at almost $10.00 LESS for each magazine.

Just out of curiosity, how does one customer, who apparently has waited quietly for six months, equate to Sig being the "new Kimber"?

I bought from another source, I am not that stupid.....they need to clean thier act up! Are you that stupid?

No, I'm not, and I can spell, as well.

Strahley
March 26, 2011, 09:34 PM
I didn't know SIG sold clips instead of magazines now...they sure aren't what they used to be

Ala Dan
March 26, 2011, 09:39 PM
The West German SIG-SAUER company is ALIVE and WELL; producing top
quality products all of the time~! :cool:

The American based, SIGARMS COMPANY of EXETER, NEW HAMPSHIRE is
where the problem lies. Its just 'bout like SIGARMS being a distant cousin
to the WEST GERMAN COMPANY; as quality (fit and finish is not as good),
new products [not tried and proven] are rushed into production too keep
up with other manufactuers, sloppy workmanship has been found on both
the P238 and the P290. The P245 was a flop from the get-go, as well. Its
just the little things, that apparently company employees don't give a damn
about~! That is why you have not seen me buying any more SIG's~!!!!!!!

HOOfan_1
March 26, 2011, 09:42 PM
Sig is out of the mags for both of my Sig pistols. I have also had difficulty finding them in any local shops (I live in ATL). Who (manufacturers) are good after-market alternatives?

Mec-Gar

utcaleb
March 27, 2011, 02:13 AM
I will have to try the Mec-Gar. Is there any difference in the 13 round Mec-Gar compared to the 12 round factory models (i.e. function, fit, etc.)? Oh, it is going in a P226.

jeepguy
March 27, 2011, 11:16 AM
i use top gun supply and they have always had what i have been looking for. they have been great to do business with.

toocool
March 27, 2011, 12:15 PM
I have a recent P239 and a P220 Carry DAK...they both seem equal in quality to my 1980's vintage P226, so I see no problem with their QC... I'm very satisfied with my Sigs...

(no, I don't work for them...;) )

Storm
March 27, 2011, 01:04 PM

I live in Metro Atlanta and see SIG mags all over the place. Which mags do you need?

As to SIG, most all of my SIGs are older all/West German guns, nand are superb, and my newer ones are fine as well. It was only with the 238 that I got stung.

utcaleb
March 27, 2011, 04:08 PM
I need mags for the 238 (the extended one if at all possible) and 226 (.40 cal).

rellascout
March 27, 2011, 04:13 PM
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=97_123&zenid=b8baaf5afed24513542e90e7e3b009b2

Clips???? They are called mags.

Mecgar and Act make great mags for Sigs....

HOOfan_1
March 27, 2011, 05:02 PM
I will have to try the Mec-Gar. Is there any difference in the 13 round Mec-Gar compared to the 12 round factory models (i.e. function, fit, etc.)? Oh, it is going in a P226.

I believe Mec-Gar makes the factory magazines.

SIGLBER
March 27, 2011, 06:20 PM
A friend bought a new 250 twosum kit. The trigger module did not work out of the box. So he basically had two guns that didn't work instead of one. They fixed it but that's not the old SIG we used to know. Except for my Mosquito all of my other 5 SIG's were made years ago. I'll keep them. No new SIG's for me thank you.

Deaf Smith
March 27, 2011, 06:52 PM
Hence my 'vintage' SIG 239 and 229 sleep in the safe.

Deaf

Lex Luthier
March 27, 2011, 06:52 PM
Howdy.

I love my Sigs and Kimbers equally. You are right about using a broad brush based on a single issue. I can find the real clips/ accessories at two different shops near me.

It sounds like our friend just needs to settle down and do a little more research.

dogmush
March 27, 2011, 06:58 PM
I need mags for the 238 (the extended one if at all possible) and 226 (.40 cal).

P238 mag (http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-P238-magazines/)

P226 (http://www.topgunsupply.com/magazines-sig-sauer_p226-40-357/)

My 2022 and 238 are both good firearms. I know lots of folks had issues with the early 238's but mine has been flawless, and fit's it's niche better then any other pocket .380 I've tried.

PO2Hammer
March 27, 2011, 07:03 PM
Just to give a fair and balanced viewpoint, My 2010 P220 ST is a wonderful gun, excellent fit, finish and accuracy.

Sigarms USA does seem a little flaky lately with the flip flop decisions and pimp-tastic guns.

Magazines are readily available from Top Gun Supply, CDNN, Midway, Midsouth ....

If you need mud flaps for your pick up, you don't call Detroit, you call your local Auto Zone.

JTQ
March 27, 2011, 07:32 PM
As mentioned, Top Gun Supply
http://www.topgunsupply.com/magazines-sig-sauer_p226-40-357/

Storm
March 28, 2011, 11:37 AM

Here locally I saw 40/357 SIG mags for the 226 at B&B Outdoors in Roswell. I would have bought one but already have my fill.

And, CDNN
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/sigsauer.html

vaherder
March 28, 2011, 11:47 AM
So hoss when was the last time you contacted Sig? Are you sure they have your order? So do you want mags or clips? Did they cash your check or debit your debit card or credit card? If you ordered clips from Sig you will be waiting forever.

Maybe you should order you roach clips from another supplier. Never had a problem getting mags for Sigs. My drug of choice is Va untaxed corn liquor and Mason jars are not in short supply. Although a nice 15 yr Highland single malt is very, very close. Just use some paper clips.

<edit>

Va herder

Ankeny
March 28, 2011, 11:48 AM
Does Sig Sauer have any worse QC and service than any other major manufacturer? My thoughts exactly. Sig sucks because you can't buy mags, Glocks explode, the MIM parts on Kimbers fall into pieces, The Smith and Wesson M&P line is a sorry apology for the Sigma...;)

rellascout
March 28, 2011, 11:55 AM
Does Sig Sauer have any worse QC and service than any other major manufacturer?

It is not that they are worse or better than anyone else it is that they used to be one of the best in the industry. Yes lemons came out of Germany too but IMHO they were not as common as they are now.

Sig is a premium handgun which they sell at a premium price. Therefore I expect premium QC.

InkEd
March 28, 2011, 12:11 PM
I can't see the logic of ordering magazines directly from the factory. You can order factory magazines from several places and for less money.

rellascout
March 28, 2011, 12:15 PM
Depends on the gun... It is very hard to find some of the Sig mags these days anywhere but from Sig.

ScottM
March 28, 2011, 01:14 PM
Sig had supply issues with mags a while back--a couple years ago (during the Obama pamnic) they were shipping new guns with one mag only. I don't know if that is still going on, but I haven't had any problems finding Sig mags recently--Top Gun Supply (my usual source for Sig mags) seems to have a good variety in stock.

+1 Top Gun Supply is about 45 from where I live...If it can be had, they have all things Sig (and many other brands for that matter). They are great guys, I have purchased mags, pistols, and various extras from them, great customer service and great inventory. They even had the "sometimes-hard -to-find" P225 mags at competitive prices.

Prion
March 28, 2011, 01:19 PM
Sig has been good to me and they offer an excellent product. Are they perfect? No. But who is? Oh yeah, Glock!

DennisRL
March 28, 2011, 10:32 PM
I bought a Sig P238 on 25 Feb. Fired it 29 Feb. The grip screw wouldnt go back in. It was cross-threaded from the factory.

1Mar I sent it back to Sig. They said 2 weeks return time. Feb 10th I called to ask status, they said "oh we need your FFL info to send a new gun". I provided it. 14 Feb I asked again, they said they hadn't received it. I sent them the original fax receipt and the FLL info again...They never contacted me to tell me they hadnt gotten it, never told me the gun was FUBAR and they needed to send a new one until I contacted them.

Here we are 18 days later. Almost a month later and two weeks past the promised delivery date. They give me a BS "we need to wait until one is produced to send it out, and dont know when that will be" and they ignore my repeated emails to ask if they will provide the same upgraded spring I currently had in mine, not the factory POS one that came with it.

The Sig P238 was an awesome little gun that waqs a blast to shoot, but based on their Cust. Service. This is the first and LASt Sig I will EVER own.

3 of my friends replaced their Backup guns recently, all were interested in the Sig P238. I told them my predicament and only 1 decided to buy it instead.

iron maiden
March 28, 2011, 10:42 PM
I bought a P238 last year and the mags are readily available.
Also, the 1911's they make are very nice as well. I've noticed no QC issues with Sig-Sauer. However, YMMV....

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 12:08 AM
I'm new to THR, and new to owning a pistol. I've gone out to the woods with friends and family to target shoot (mostly taking turns sinking the dreaded, anchored one-gallon milkjug), and I've always been an advocate of anyone wanting to K&B, just never saw the need to own one myself...that is until recently.

That was a long introduction into why I'm posting. I recently purchased a Sig P220 pistol marked "Exeter" on one side, but "W. Germany" on the other side of the slide. I've always heard of Sig's being the "Curtis Mathis" of handguns, so I was pleasantly surprised to find one (especially since I set out to buy a XDM .45).

The two pistols were similarly priced, but after test-firing the XD at the local gun range, the Sig simply blew the XD away (forgive the pun)...I'm wondering - should I be concerned about the West German origin of my pistol? Is there some flaw to the model that I'm unaware of? I couldn't be happier with my find, I'm just curious about my pistol...and the relative use I can anticipate getting out of it. I bought it primarily for home-defense, but I'm also finding that my son & I are spending more time together, as he too loves the .45's recoil...firing what he calls "The Big Sig".

Any clues, comments, or testimonials - are encouraged!

FiremanJim
March 29, 2011, 12:14 AM
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.ph...2e90e7e3b009b2

I bought 4 Mec-Gar 18 round P226 mags from this seller and couldnt be happier.
Bought a rare "U" series Navy surplus non-rail Sig Navy which only had one 10 round mag with it.
Fired 150 rounds with them today and worked perfectly.
Give him a try.

Factory mags are nice but a little overrated IMHO.

I agree that the older Sigs are better quality.

skeeziks
March 29, 2011, 12:35 PM
Can someone please enlighten me as to why "the P245 was a flop from the get-go?"

And why are the slides marked "NH" but the frames marked "Germany?"

I would've quoted the poster who made the remark but I can't figure out how to reply with a quote.

Guns and more
March 29, 2011, 12:50 PM
For hells sake I have had clips on order for over 5 months
Perhaps you should have ordered magazines.

Sorry, but I was chastised on this board early on, and I never forgot.

siggy
March 29, 2011, 02:12 PM
Picked up my brand neww p226 stainless elite last week Went to the range today and it was flawless Sig still makes a very good handgun And yes Mec-Gar makes the mags for Sig

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 02:16 PM
And yes Mec-Gar makes the mags for Sig

I am not sure that it still the case. They have changed mag vendors for some of the guns. IIRC people believe that it is checkmate who is not producing them.

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 02:30 PM
Can someone please enlighten me as to why "the P245 was a flop from the get-go?"

And why are the slides marked "NH" but the frames marked "Germany?"

I would've quoted the poster who made the remark but I can't figure out how to reply with a quote.

It flopped because of its size. It was a bit ahead of its time. When it was first released there were not as many CCW holders so a CCO sized P220 did not make a lot of sense for a lot of people. Lot of people at the time IIRC did not like the shortened grip. They preferred the classic grip on the P220. They have become more popular lately with the Sig P220 Compact now out and the recent import of some all German guns by PW Arms.

By the "NH" mark I assume you are referring to the rollmark on the slide which says Sigarms, Inc Exeter, NH. This is the import mark.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/P245.jpg

Sigarms as they used to be known is headquartered in Exeter, NH which is also where their import lic is registered and where they manufacture pistols currently. In order to bring these pistols into the country from Germany this was required. It does not mean the gun was made in NH.

The gun above was made in Germany. It has triple serial numbers which Germany requires and IIRC. It is a 100% German gun. This was one of the guns brought in by PW Arms. It was not brought in by Sig which is why it has the additional markings. Every single P245 was made in Germany and will have Sigarms, Inc Exeter, NH roll mark in additon to the made in Germany stamp.

IMHO the W. German guns are superior to the current offers. Less MIM, Less bling, better QC and stamped slide vs milled slides. Sig has cheapened every single design in the entire Classic P series design. They replaced every single part that they could get away with with a MIM part. They have changed parts and configurations to achieve parts commonality to achieve lower production costs but have not lowered the price of the P series pistols. Every single new design dating back to the Mosquito... 556... P250...GSR... P238 all have had production and performance issues. This is not your dads Sig Sauer. They are in the race to the production cost bottom in search of bigger profits. This is great if you are a stock holder. It is not so great as a consumer. Excuse me while I put on my flame suit because I know what comes next everytime I post this opinion.

skeeziks
March 29, 2011, 02:44 PM
Once again...thank you, Rick. You've cleared it all up for me.
But what does IIRC stand for?

> Hey...you won't have to worry about me flaming you. I'm a wheel-gun man and every one of my Smith & Wessons are vintage (I mentioned yesterday that I too, am a traditionalist.)
I would not own a current production S&W if you paid me. The MIM, the 2-piece bbls., the piss poor QC....not to mention those idiotic Internal Locks.

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 02:49 PM
If I Remember Correctly

fatcat4620
March 29, 2011, 04:22 PM
Those mags are everywhere. Try finding sig p228 15 round mecgagrs in blue.

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 05:20 PM
Here is my W German Sig - Not sure what is meant by a "triple serial number", but the serial number on the slide matches the one on the frame and there are symbols on the underside of the barrel.

I love this pistol.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t238/TinMan61/TheBigSig2-SigSauerP220.jpg

skeeziks
March 29, 2011, 06:21 PM
Hi White Tiger.....

I'm thinking of buying one exactly like yours. Is the grip overly large (my mits are on the small to med. side.)
And I assume it's a single stack 8-round ???

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 06:24 PM
Not sure what is meant by a "triple serial number"

Serial number on slide, barrel and frame is required for a gun sold in Germany. You can almost see all 3 in this pic....

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i405/LtsAv8/P245/DSCN1162.jpg

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 07:07 PM
Is the grip overly large...?

Skeeziks - No, I don't find the grips to be overly large, but my son did. He came home while I was out and put a Hoague grip on my Sig (I told him to take it out and see what he thought)...I was initially irritated, but decided to try it out first. I decided I like the "feel" better.

One of the only consistent negatives I heard while doing some research into the P220 is that most don't like the original Sig grips (shown in my picture) because they're too slick.

I definitely can see what they're talking about, the last few days have been in the high 80's and by the time I made it to my local in-door range, the temps were a little warm. Any moisture on those grips could make them slippery.

For now, I'll stick with the Hoague grip - but it definitely has that "slab o steel" feel. I'm sure you'll try it out before you buy - just make sure you like the way it feels in your hand.

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 07:14 PM
Realscout - yep, got all three, but my slide says "Made in W. Germany"...I'm assuming this means it's a little older (maybe before the wall came down)?

Does this indicate any problems? Like I said, I love the pistol, so it won't matter - just counting on this being the "home defense" pistol, so I'd like to know I can rely on it!

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 07:31 PM
Realscout - yep, got all three, but my slide says "Made in W. Germany"...I'm assuming this means it's a little older (maybe before the wall came down)?

Look at the front of the slide... does it have proof marks and a date code? This will tell you when it was made. They did not change the equipment so they continued to print W Germany long after W Germany ceased to exist.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3509/3799143227_e099535d06.jpg

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 07:38 PM
I definitely can see what they're talking about, the last few days have been in the high 80's and by the time I made it to my local in-door range, the temps were a little warm. Any moisture on those grips could make them slippery.

That is one of the reasons people covet the older grips. Like these. They are grippier if that is a word. LOL

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/DSCF1911.jpg

Nar
March 29, 2011, 08:03 PM
I have 2 sigs, the first one i got is a new Mosquito a few years back. It is picky on ammo but i almost never have an issue with it as long as i use CCI, the other is a West German P226 i got maybe a year ago. That one is by far my favorite gun. as for the mags i would just look arond and buy them from shops i don't think i have ever ordered from them so i can't say anything there but I still like Sig and am considering a P220 if i can find a good deal.

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 09:04 PM
rellascout (sorry for the previous misspell) - tried a barrel shot with my camera phone, but the fine foucs seems to have lost something in the translation:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t238/TinMan61/ProofMarkandDateCode.jpg

The first two symbols match yours, but the letters on the bottom are "KF"...

Does this help?

wgsigs
March 29, 2011, 09:14 PM
"KF" is '95 - 1995 is the year your gun was proofed, which is usually, but not always, the same as the year of manufacture. A=0, B=1. ..., H=7, J=8, and K=9. The letter I is not used.

skeeziks
March 29, 2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks, White Tiger, for the info. But what I don't understand is if your son found the grip too big, then how did putting on the Hogue help things? Wouldn't it make for a larger grip?

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks, White Tiger, for the info. But what I don't understand is if your son found the grip too big, then how did putting on the Hogue help things? Wouldn't it make for a larger grip?
skeeziks - he did find it a little larger, but the "tackier" surface of the Hogue allowed a better grip.

skeeziks
March 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
skeeziks - he did find it a little larger, but the "tackier" surface of the Hogue allowed a better grip.

Gotcha.... :)

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 09:49 PM
"KF" is '95 - 1995 is the year your gun was proofed, which is usually, but not always, the same as the year of manufacture. A=0, B=1. ..., H=7, J=8, and K=9. The letter I is not used.
Thanks a lot wgsigs! So, it IS a West German made Sig, manufactured (approx) in 1995?

So...I can trust it for home-defense and should last me as long as I need it to with no problems...right?

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 09:52 PM
Gotcha.... :)
I think you also asked about the magazine size? The factory magazine holds 7 rounds, but I have an aftermarket magazine that holds 8.

Both work well and fit snug! If I were you, I'd buy it!

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks a lot wgsigs! So, it IS a West German made Sig, manufactured (approx) in 1995?

So...I can trust it for home-defense and should last me as long as I need it to with no problems...right?

If it shoots well and feeds your defense ammo of you choice then YES! :D

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 10:05 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking!

I put about 100 rds through it - unbeknownst to me, the previous owner had loaded the first magazine with Golden Saber, 185 gr, + P, hollow points. When I caught a glimps of the silver cartrgidge ejecting - I pulled the magazine, saw the reason, and unloaded them. I then slid a magazine of the (range purchased) PMC Bronze, 230gr, FMJ's...and immediately had a FTF?

Is this normal? My son also noted that out of 50 rds he put through it, he also noted some ftf's?

Is this due to age of the pistol, or should I chalk it up to ammo?

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 10:09 PM
How is the recoil spring? It might be weak and causing the issues. It should feed anything you put into it? I suggest getting a new recoil spring. Top Gun sells them as does Sig. Sig sells them in 3 packs. I recommend factory springs at factory rate.

When did you get it? Did you clean it and lube it properly?

SigP229R
March 29, 2011, 10:47 PM
Mec-Gar makes most if not all the OEM mags for most of the manufacturers.

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 11:29 PM
How is the recoil spring? It might be weak and causing the issues. It should feed anything you put into it? I suggest getting a new recoil spring. Top Gun sells them as does Sig. Sig sells them in 3 packs. I recommend factory springs at factory rate.

Thanks for the info on the recoil spring, due strictly to age, I definitely think it needs to be replaced.

As for when I got it - probably had it about week. Before I bought it, I stripped it and thought it was pretty well cleaned and lubed. I was told the lube was something called "Mil-Tech" that he bought from Wally World, however I couldn't find it during a trip there later that night.

I was so stoked, I rushed to an in-door range and put the first 50 or so rounds through it...brought it home took a phone call and my son picked it up and took it with him to try and put another 100 rounds through it.

I cleaned it thoroughly last night and found that it could NOT have been as clean as I first thought. That may have had something to do with it, but since you brought up the recoil spring issue, I'm pretty sure what I'm going to do next.

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 11:49 PM

I took your advice and am ordering from SigArms - but based on my previous pic, any idea if my pistol matches those known as a "Combat" or "Phosphate"? The only other option is for a "Compact" or "Carry"...and since it's a full-size pistol I'm thinking it isn't one of those...

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 11:52 PM
Looks like a standard P220 to my eyes. Combats have earth tone frames. Phosphate applies to the Navy P226. I can't remember a P220 that had a phosphate coating but there might have been one.

Compacts or carries have a shorter grip like the P245 I posted.

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 11:56 PM
Don't Compacts & Carries also have shorter barrels?

rellascout
March 30, 2011, 12:07 AM
No compacts where made in the W German. All were made here in the US and they have 3.9" barrels and rails.

The White Tiger
March 30, 2011, 01:06 AM
Excellent information rella, thanks for everything! I ordered them from topgunsupply.

The White Tiger
March 30, 2011, 11:16 AM
That is one of the reasons people covet the older grips. Like these. They are grippier if that is a word. LOL

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/DSCF1911.jpg
rellascout - I've checked a couple of locations and I can't find this pattern? Any ideas?

rellascout
March 30, 2011, 11:48 AM
Gotta buy them used...

The White Tiger
March 30, 2011, 04:02 PM
Yep...that's what I was afraid you'd say...but those grips have been calling to me ever since you posted that picture!

rellascout
March 30, 2011, 04:26 PM
You can get reproductions here: http://vintagegungrips.net/ao-s128.html

I have not seen them in person but people over on the Sig Forum had bought them.

March 31, 2011, 01:41 AM
Looks like a standard P220 to my eyes. Combats have earth tone frames. Phosphate applies to the Navy P226. I can't remember a P220 that had a phosphate coating but there might have been one.

P220 COMBAT, PHOSPHATE refers to the spring for the Combat which is phosphated.

any idea if my pistol matches those known as a "Combat" or "Phosphate"? The only other option is for a "Compact" or "Carry"...and since it's a full-size pistol I'm thinking it isn't one of those...

SIG sells three springs for the P220. The Carry/Compact 16lb spring is red. The standard P220 20lb spring is green. The Combat phosphate spring is black and is somewhere around 16lb. The folded steel slide P220s came with 15lb springs. If you replace the spring with a green 20lb spring and have feeding/timing issues, try a red 16lb spring. The stainless slides are heavier so need a heavier spring. Don't ask me why the Combat comes with a lighter spring ... I'm still trying to figure that out. :confused:

P220 CARRY & COMPACT
P220 COMBAT, PHOSPHATE
P220

silversport
March 31, 2011, 08:45 AM
yes...after all these years of trying Pachmayr, Hogue and newer SiG plastic stocks, I find I like these best on my 1994 P220...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/silversport1/P1000144.jpg
...wish they made them for the P245 (1999 model newly acquired by me...)...:D
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/silversport1/P1000181.jpg

Bill

skeeziks
March 31, 2011, 04:00 PM
Silversport.... are those originals or repros?
- Beautiful 220, BTW.

silversport
March 31, 2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks...they are originals...the previous owner (co-worker) liked Hogue rubber grips so these went into the box in 1994 and didn't come out until I picked this up from him...
Bill

siggy
March 31, 2011, 04:51 PM
When I was a boy I was shopping for a shoygun and rifle My dad told me to get a used Browning auto5 because the new ones were junk He also told me to ger a pre 1964 winchester model 88 because the new ones were not as good What I am getting at is these arguments have gone on a long time That was back in 1970 and I still have these guns and I am sure that the new guns were not junk as my dad felt and they are servingsomeone verywell to this day

The White Tiger
April 1, 2011, 01:05 AM

SIG sells three springs for the P220. The Carry/Compact 16lb spring is red. The standard P220 20lb spring is green. The Combat phosphate spring is black and is somewhere around 16lb. The folded steel slide P220s came with 15lb springs. If you replace the spring with a green 20lb spring and have feeding/timing issues, try a red 16lb spring. The stainless slides are heavier so need a heavier spring. Don't ask me why the Combat comes with a lighter spring ... I'm still trying to figure that out. :confused:

P220 CARRY & COMPACT
P220 COMBAT, PHOSPHATE
P220
1858 - wow, thanks! I appreciate you passing that great information along!

I bought the 220-45-PKIT from www.topgun.com - do aftermarket sellers use the same color code?

The White Tiger
April 1, 2011, 01:26 AM
Silversport - that is one beautiful sig - thanks for posting!

rellascout - I ordered those grips - I could not resist, thanks!

grace2u
April 1, 2011, 01:53 AM
I love my Sigs. I've had Glocks, XDs/XDMs, SWs, Taurus, Kimbers, and Rugers. Today, I own only two a p239 and a p228r. I've never had a single issue with any pistol I've ever owned. Not one FTF or FTE. I like the sigs because of quality, fit, finish, and trigger. Sure, some people don't care for the long trigger, but I find that I like the smoothness of their triggers. IMHO, good guns are made every day by just about any manufacturer...so are lemons. Find what you like and shoot it.

silversport
April 1, 2011, 09:47 AM
Silversport - that is one beautiful sig - thanks for posting!
:D...thanks...pics of yours with the new stocks when you get them...
Bill

trippstadt
April 1, 2011, 01:38 PM
Update:

The White Tiger
April 1, 2011, 03:49 PM

P220 CARRY & COMPACT
P220 COMBAT, PHOSPHATE
P220
1858 - my P220 repair kit came today from topgun, you were absolutely spot-on, it came with the red spring and a green spring (both were painted on the end of the spring)!

The red spring was the same overall length as the one I replaced (but the coiling was completely different, and it was also much tighter to slide onto the guide), it made the slide pull slightly harder. I'm wondering if this is a better match for a compact/carry?

I decided to go with the green spring which fit into the guide easier, but the pull is more in-line with what I would expect from a pistol like the P-220 (feels more like that of a standard model 1911).

Incidentally, the kit came with several replacement parts (including the newer decock spring that the Hogue company recommended all older model Sig's to switch to), so I would recommend folks taking a look at it.

Many thanks to rellascout and 1858 - you guys steered me into the right direction!

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Sauer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!