Video- Shooting the Burgess Rifle

PDA

duelist1954
March 26, 2011, 08:27 AM
My latest Youtube video is about the Colt-Burgess rifle. The shooting session was far from idea. The temperature a week ago was a glorious 76 degrees...yesterday it was a bone-chilling 28 with a nasty wind. The calendar says it's Spring, but the thermometer says it's still Winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVkwWEX5lU

If you enjoyed reading about "Video- Shooting the Burgess Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
March 26, 2011, 08:33 AM
Wow! Very well-done video!

Where are you located in PA? Wondering if you ever shoot SASS at my club...

junkman_01
March 26, 2011, 09:10 AM
Great job Mike!

ironhead7544
March 26, 2011, 09:19 AM
Good video. I didnt see any smoke from the action. No blowback from the 45 Colt in this design? Also is this design stronger than the 1873 Winchester?

Tommygunn
March 26, 2011, 12:37 PM
Excellent video! Man, my ears were ringing from the audio!:eek:;)

That is a very attractive rifle IMHO. I would be interested in a closer examination of its internal mechanism.
The open top is not a bad drawback, really. The Henry rifle -- both 1860 & '66 version, had an open top. In fact, IIRC the 1876 version of the Winchester omited the dust cover. The later Browning designs of course altered the design and had no "open top" opening as the bolt itself sealed the receiver.
Wish I could find a Burgess around my neck of the woods. I guess I could have it special ordered (went that route for my Uberti 1873) but it's so much nicer to actually be able to handle the firearm you want to buy.

duelist1954
March 26, 2011, 03:33 PM
Sam,

I'm in Newberry Township. I'll be at the April match at the West Shore Posse

Ironhead,

The brass was filthy after shooting, so I'd say there was blowback. I use a heavy crimp with a 255-gr bullet and 35 grains of 2Fg, so I don't have a whole lot of blowback with my loads. The Burgess action is a toggle link action, but quite different from Winchesters. It locks under the rear of the bolt and ties the bolt to the frame. It is a pretty strong action.

Sam1911
March 26, 2011, 09:00 PM
I'm in Newberry Township. I'll be at the April match at the West Shore Posse
Oh, that's awesome! I'll have to try and make it out just to say hi!

I'm there on the first Sunday running IDPA.

If you enjoyed reading about "Video- Shooting the Burgess Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!