Pennies4Guns, what's the scoup?

PDA

mig1
March 27, 2011, 04:47 PM
Good afternoon all.
I was just reading one of the tutorials on this great site and I noticed that there is a site sponsor called pennies4guns.

Intrigued, I checked it out. Not much in Google about it.

Has anybody used it yet?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pennies4Guns, what's the scoup?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gathert
March 27, 2011, 05:27 PM
Only thing I saw when I checked that site was that the auctions ran for a really long time and didnt seem worth my time to try some sight like that.

dampoo
March 27, 2011, 05:36 PM
This an article on these auctions from Smartmoney.com.

URL for this article:
http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/deals/how-penny-auctions-work-1300313918147/?cid=djem_sm_WeekontheStreet_t

LawScholar
March 27, 2011, 05:37 PM
Penny-bidding sites are the rage these days.

The good is that you can get things for extremely cheap compared to retail.

The bad is that if you lose the auction, you lose the money you bid.

Edit: Wow, I just saw that someone won a Glock 23 for $0.31

Neverwinter
March 27, 2011, 05:59 PM
Story Link (http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/deals/how-penny-auctions-work-1300313918147/)
Paradoxically, the frustration of shelling out so much with nothing to show for it spurs users to try their hand at still more auctions,
hoping to ease their losses with a big discount on something else, says Jack Vonder Heide, the president of Technology Briefing
Centers.QuiBids says
it's not gambling because every participant can apply fees spent toward the purchase of the item at the site's full retail price. "No
customer has to walk away empty handed," says a spokeswoman.
:scrutiny: :eek: :evil:

Bravo on monetizing the sunken cost fallacy to get people to keep going after auctions and buying the products at their markup.

LawScholar
March 27, 2011, 06:07 PM
dampoo, thank you for that article. Surprised me in a number of ways. Guess I won't be doing that.

justin 561
March 27, 2011, 06:41 PM
It is exactly like other pennies auctions, a Scam. Google it and see if people actually won, chances are they lost..Magical huh? Some of them are better are fooling you, but there is also ones you'll see that go to 0 then back up to 2-3mins because someone "bid" (a bot) on that item. Save your money.

Arkansas Paul
March 27, 2011, 07:06 PM
If it sounds too good to be true, it is. I learned that at a very young age.

Ian
March 27, 2011, 07:39 PM
Is it really High Road to have ads for that kind of thing on the forum?

mig1
March 28, 2011, 06:35 AM
Thanks, guys.

Ian & Paul, my thoughts exactly. I was suprised to see that as a banner on THR, and it sounded too good to be true. Which means it probably is.

I think I'll stay away for now.

btg3
March 28, 2011, 07:08 AM
Is it really High Road to have ads for that kind of thing on the forum?
So you're asking how "high road" is THR?

Inquiring minds want to know. :scrutiny:

ZCORR Jay
March 28, 2011, 07:25 AM
I know this is a bit off topic but I was wondering how many people notice or pay attention to the ads at the bottom? I ask because I am considering running some for ZCORR.

JShirley
March 28, 2011, 07:30 AM
These type of auction sites sell blocks of bids.

If anyone specifically wants to talk about ads on THR, tech support is the place.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pennies4Guns, what's the scoup?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!