Colt HBAR Match Target accuracy issue

PDA

hotchihuahua
March 27, 2011, 07:53 PM
Anybody have any examples of really good accuracy with a Colt HBAR Match Target rifle? Mine is mediocre to poor with any ammo I try. Also, what practical effect does the flash hider or lack thereof have on accuracy?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt HBAR Match Target accuracy issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Double Vision
March 27, 2011, 08:19 PM
I'm glad to see this question. I've also got the Colt and it's just not very accurate.

GCBurner
March 27, 2011, 08:25 PM
I've got one. About the best factory ammo groups I've gotten are with Federal SS109 62 grain NATO spec ammo, followed by handloads with Hornady 55 grain hollowpoints. Benchrest groups at 100 yards with either of these are an inch or less. I've got the 20" barrel with 1:9 twist.
What kind of groups are you getting?

BigBore
March 27, 2011, 08:50 PM
My Colt H Bar (R6601) shoots inch or less groups at 100 yards..It has a 1/7 twist not a 1/9 and the ammo my H Bar likes for accuracy is Sierra 69gr or Federal 223 Rem 77Gr. Match King BTHP ..

1 LT MPC
March 27, 2011, 09:07 PM
What big bore says. My Hbar also likes the 69 grainers and it is a 1/7 twist. Twist speed and bullet weight makes a BIG difference!!

Pete D.
March 29, 2011, 07:16 AM
My Colt is the most accurate CF rifle that I own. It has a 1-8" twist barrel. I shoot mostly Sierra MatchKing 77s. I do like the 69s also. It will give me less than two inch groups at 200 yards.
The best groups that I ever shot were with that rifle and 52 grain MatchKings...less than one half inch at 100 yards using the Nat'l Match sights.
All handloads.
Pete

XxWINxX94
March 29, 2011, 08:33 AM
That's strange.

I've shot my buddies a couple times and it is a tack driver. At 100 yards it was doing some really solid grouping. Even better at 33 yards.

I have no idea what the issue could be, those were designed to be pretty accurate if I'm not mistaken.

kwelz
March 29, 2011, 10:51 AM
What do you consider mediocre or poor? What types of ammo? Age of the gun? Round count?

Not near enough info to make any kind of determination.

As to your question, the Flash hider should not have an impact on accuracy.

M1key
March 29, 2011, 01:02 PM
I don't currently own nor have I ever owned an AR, of ANY manufacture not capable of MOA or less...at least with SOME kind of load.

Are you talking irons or glass? Try mounting a good scope. Sure helps this senior citizen.

If irons, are you using the 0-200 aperture? Try the smaller aperture.

Factory ammo or reloads? Try some Federal 69 Match to establish a baseline.

If yours has a 1:7 twist and you are shooting 45 grainers, your accuracy might suffer a bit. Try heavier bullets.

Avoid shooting on windy days. ;)

Maybe give a us little more information.

Good Luck.

M

TonyAngel
March 29, 2011, 07:01 PM
hot, no offense intended here, but are you capable of shooting tight groups? I mean, have you done it with other rifles (ARs)? If you've never done it before, odds are that most of the problem is you.

The first thing would be to confirm your skills. The second would be to confirm the ammo. I know of very few ARs that didn't like a Sierra Match King to some degree. Get away from shooting milspec stuff. It's garbage in terms of shooting for precision accuracy. For those guys claiming to get MOA with M193 or SS109, I have no reason to disbelieve them, but they are certainly out of the norm. I don't doubt that they may have been able to do it once or twice, but not with any more consistency.

hotchihuahua
April 1, 2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks everybody for your input. TonyAngel: no offense taken, it's a valid question. Yes, I can shoot. My several other rifles, bolt and semi-auto, including two other ARs, all perform well. This particular HBAR has always been a confounding child. It is presently wearing a Weaver V series 4-16 scope. My usual load is the USAMU standard of 25.5 gr. R15 with a 69 gr. Sierra MK HPBT with Fed 205M primer in LC cases at 2.26 COAL. No matter what ammo, or how far I shoot (450 yard has been my maximum attempted) it places the first round high and right, the second one low and left, and the remainders all in a near MOA group lower still and left. A very clear diagonal string. The scope is tight on a Smith base, the base is Acraglassed into the carry handle. No movement there. However, this issue may be a moot point as of tomorrow, when I install a slightly used Krieger 22" stainless match barrel on this puppy, with free float tube. If anyone is interested I'll let you know how it works.

M1key
April 1, 2011, 06:53 PM
^^^sounds like you have plenty of experience. We don't always know.:scrutiny:

I am curious if the barrel helps...

M

hotchihuahua
April 1, 2011, 08:30 PM
Forgot to mention, the HBAR is a 1-7 twist, the Krieger is a 1-8. That's really neither here nor there, except that with the new barrel, it will basically be a different rifle. Also, in talking with the gunny who will install the barrel, he says from his experience that there is a great deal of variation in Colt barrels: one may deliver while the next one won't. Mine don't.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt HBAR Match Target accuracy issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!