stuck 30-06 cases in resizing die

PDA

tightgroup tiger
March 27, 2011, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know what you have to do to be able to resize 30-06 shells without getting them stuck in the re-sizing die? I have tried everything I can think of and it seems like if I load my shells shot out of my BLR they resize alot better then shells shot out of other rifles. I have cleaned my dies, tried "ONE SHOT" case lube, bought new shell holders, I am using RCBS full length dies, is that the problem? I am using a Browning BLR lever gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "stuck 30-06 cases in resizing die" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
March 27, 2011, 10:52 PM
I do not have much success with One Shot and rifle cases. I use RCBS Case Lube or Imperial Die Sizing Wax.

ReloaderFred
March 27, 2011, 10:52 PM
Welcome to the forum.

If using Hornady One Shot, you have to let it dry on the cases before sizing. That's the biggest mistake most people make, they spray and then immediately start sizing, which will stick a case every time. Let them set for about five minutes before sizing.

You can always use another lube, such as Imperial Sizing Lube, from Redding. It's a wax that you apply with your fingers.

With the proper techiques and lube you should be able to size just about any case of the proper caliber in your dies.

Hope this helps.

Fred

cfullgraf
March 27, 2011, 10:56 PM
If using Hornady One Shot, you have to let it dry on the cases before sizing. That's the biggest mistake most people make, they spray and then immediately start sizing, which will stick a case every time. Let them set for about five minutes before sizing.

I still don't have much luck with One Shot regardless how long I let it dry. Guess I'm too stingy with it.

giggitygiggity
March 27, 2011, 11:00 PM
I had this exact problem and was also using One Shot on .30-06. Do not use sprays for .30-06. Use One Shot on pistol brass and .223 and other short small stuff. Instead, use some kind of wax lube on the .30-06. I didn't think that this would help me when people on THR told me, but I gave it a try and the cases reloaded like butter. Reloading dies have very tight tolerances and sprays versus waxes actually make a significant difference.

Here is the exact lube that I use. Buy a jar of it and it will last you for thousands and thousands of cases. A little goes a long way.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=623016

ranger335v
March 27, 2011, 11:13 PM
"I still don't have much luck with One Shot regardless how long I let it dry. Guess I'm too stingy with it."

No matter how long it dries, it won't do much if we don't shake it up to mix the contents. That said, one can of One Shot was enough for me, I don't like the over-spray.

Imperial. Unique. Lee. Apply them lightly, with finger tips, as you pick up each case for sizing. Heck, even toilet bowl wax sealing ring stuff will lube cases quite nicely. Honest! ;)

FROGO207
March 28, 2011, 12:04 AM
Toilet bowl wax ring is made of bees wax and I also use it to flux my lead. Works well there also.

jcwit
March 28, 2011, 12:24 AM
Unique case lube, Imperial sizing wax, or last but not least, Mink Oil, it a paste for waterproofing leather. Find it in the shoe dept.

blarby
March 28, 2011, 12:40 AM
Been around forever, and its cheap....care to try lee case lube ?

Just roll it on !

918v
March 28, 2011, 01:36 AM
Imperial sizing wax. Git sum.

gamestalker
March 28, 2011, 04:34 AM
Your problem is just about 100% a case lube issue. Your not possibly confusing case polishing solution for case lube, are you? They are two totally different products for two completely different applications.
I use Dillon spray on, but I've had excellent results with Lee dry case lube too. I load 30-06 and have never had a stuck case with that or any other cartridge. Make sure you use a liberal amount of lube on the inside of the neck just for insurance, fully lube the outside of the neck and entire wall. Avoid getting any on the shoulder or you'll have case dents for sure.
Something else to consider is making sure your brass is free of any dust or grit, basically clean.
Also make sure your die is adjusted properely. The resizing die should make noticable contact with the shell holder. With the ram fully extended, you should feel the linkage pop over a little. And the depriming rod should extend about 3/8" out of the bottom of the resizing die.

ArchAngelCD
March 28, 2011, 04:53 AM
Tiger,
Welcome to the forum...

IMO there is no better lube than Imperial Sizing Wax (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=519525) for resizing any brass, especially larger cases like the 30-06. One Shot works well on smaller cases like the .223 but I really like Imperial Sizing Wax for the larger cases. I have never had one stick or even feel like it was about to stick with it. A 2oz. tin will last you years because a little goes a very long way. You can apply it with your finger and remove it with a paper towel instead of having to clean and tumble the cases again. Did I mention how much I like that product?? LOL

USSR
March 28, 2011, 09:12 AM
tightgroup tiger,

Can't even begin to tell you how many threads I've seen that contain the words "stuck case" and "one shot". The only use I have found for the one can I have, is for straight-walled handgun cases with carbide dies. Buy yourself some Imperial Sizing Die Wax and chalk it up to experience.

Don

shaggy430
March 28, 2011, 10:01 AM
I've had the same problem with the Hornady One-Shot. It worked absolutely great until I got to near the bottom of the can. At that point I had two stuck cases.

When it feels like you have about 20-25% left in the can, I believe that all of the "lube" is gone and what you hear sloshing around is propellant. I discard when it gets low and buy a new can. It seems to fix the issue.

howlnmad
March 28, 2011, 10:08 AM
Ditch the spray lubes and get a tin of Imperial, all your troubles will go away.

JimKirk
March 28, 2011, 10:15 AM
++ however many... to Imperial Sizing Die Wax!!

Never had a stuck case with it.

There is a list of "stuff" long as your arm that will work for sizing lube!

There is not doubt in my mind that the guy who came up with the Imperial wax got tired of taking his toilet up every time he reloaded... he probably tried hog lard too and then one day he found the stuff that is in Imperial Wax and has never looked back. He put the STP back in the car, the mink oil back on his boots, his wife's can of Pam back in the kitchen... and now when it comes time to "read a magazine"... he has not to worry whether he put the ring back or not!

Just get some Imperial Wax ...it makes life a lot easier!!

Jimmy K

lightman
March 28, 2011, 10:18 PM
Everyone has their favorites,but I agree that your problem is your lube.Try something else and sizing cases will be less problem. Lightman

matworz
March 28, 2011, 10:30 PM
Imperial. Without a doubt. Didn't believe it until I tried it. Will now use nothing else. A $7 tin will last seemingly forever.

P-32
March 29, 2011, 07:16 AM
I use a lube pad and RCBS case lube II. This lube will wipe off with a damp rag, unlike many of the others.

amlevin
March 31, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have become a fan of Unique. A small tub will probably last the next 10 years or so. A little on my fingers and rub a film on the case from the head up. My 30-06 cases slide in and out of the die with ease.

With the Unique, it seems that it only requires enough to make a slight film on the cartridge to do the job.

The stuff isn't bad for chapped hands either :)

ranger335v
March 31, 2011, 04:00 PM
"With the Unique, it seems that it only requires enough to make a slight film on the cartridge to do the job."

That's true for any case lube, seems a lot of people load 'em up with far too much.

I've done a LOT of experimenting with alternate case lubes over the last 30 years. Perhaps the 'best' I've tried is StarBright's "Trailer Ball Teflon Lubricant". Kiwi Mink Oil/SnowProof boot treatments and the toilet bowl wax rings come in at a close second place. They are all cheap, clean, fast and easy to apply with two-three finger tips when picking up a case for sizing and then easy to wipe off my hands and cases later.

chrt396
March 31, 2011, 04:44 PM
I load .308 rounds with an RCBS competition die set and also use Hornady "OneShot"! I lay 31 cases along the edge of a cookie sheet...spray down the line at the case necks, then come back and spray the actual cases. Two simple passes of lube spray. I roll them into a tupperware bowl..and start sizing. There are times that I have not waited for them to dry completely. However...no stuck cases! I will also use Hornady one shot lube wax occasionally..and that works well. The "One Shot" is just simple to use!

bootcamp
March 31, 2011, 04:49 PM
It's kind of a pain to get off but Dillon spray lube is probably the best lube i've used on cases.

One shot is nice but it will stick a case every now and then.

gamestalker
April 1, 2011, 03:08 AM
I used Lee case lube for years and never had one stuck case. I used it for 30-06, 270 win., 7mm rem. mag., and 30-30 and never had a case get stuck. Now I use Dillon Case Lube, or D.C.L. as labled, and it works great if you let it dry for a few minutes. Lee is less expensive and will go a lot further though. D.C.L. is about $8 for a little 8 oz. bottle that doesn't really stretch to darn far.

RugerBob
April 1, 2011, 01:51 PM
Thats kinda funny. Same thing happened to me yesterday with 30/06. I use one shot , but it was my fault as I had forgot to lube them at all.

tightgroup tiger
April 2, 2011, 09:55 AM
I clean and polish my shells every time. I clean the inside of the neck with a bronze barrel brush in a drill.

I will definately try the Imperial Case Lube due to the responses here. I probably wasn't letting the Hornady One Shot dry long enough but it sound like Imperial must be the best.

thank you guys.

Tiger

1911 Fan
April 7, 2011, 01:35 AM
I use RCBS lube and pad. Love it for the speed and it CHEEEEAAAAAP. I also use a small .22 barrel swab and run it along the inside of the case neck as well. The wax idea sounds good and I may try that. When you lube, Make sure you keep it off the shoulders as much as possible to avoid hydrolic dents.

DANNY-L
April 7, 2011, 04:02 PM
I'm on my 4th can of one shot and yet to come close to sticking one. Maybe just lucky cause I've read alot of reloaders don"t like it.

thump_rrr
April 7, 2011, 05:26 PM
I've tried nearly every commercial lube on the planet and I don't like any of the aerosol lubes.

Imperial and Unique are a step above the Lee lube as far as paste lubes go.

I really like RCBS #2 lube on a pad or in the RCBS Lube dies for use in a progressive press.

The one lube I haven't yhet tried is the Dillon spray lube. That's next on my list.

1KPerDay
April 7, 2011, 06:28 PM
Can you explain how the lube dies work?

BoilerUP
April 7, 2011, 08:26 PM
I use One Shot...and haven't had any problems with stuck cases EXCEPT for 223. Stuck two in the last month, but both times I didn't wait very long (<60sec) after spraying before trying to size.

Arkansas Paul
April 7, 2011, 08:30 PM
Ditch the spray lubes and get a tin of Imperial, all your troubles will go away.

That's the truth!

Sediment
April 7, 2011, 09:25 PM
I use the Lee lube paste for my larger calibers, namely .30-06, 7.62x54R and .308 and Oneshot for the smaller ones .223, .30-30. Your mileage may vary but having more than one type of lube could save a good amount of time and a couple Tylenol.

SlamFire1
April 7, 2011, 09:36 PM
StarBright's "Trailer Ball Teflon Lubricant"
How do you get the stuff off?

"Impervious to fresh or salt water. Protects from -65F to +650F. Super adhesion will not wash off or breakdown." http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=5858&familyName=Trailer+Hitch+Lubricant

I use RCBS watersoluble. Takes me less time than Imperial. Imperial is great.

thump_rrr
April 8, 2011, 01:33 PM
Can you explain how the lube dies work?

You place the lube die in station #1 and your sizing die in station #2 with the spindle raised so it doesn't contact the shellplate.

The lube die has a felt pad in it which holds enough lube for approximately 100 cases.

The lube die will deprime and lube the case and the sizing die will then size without the case sticking.
You then add lube to the die every 100 rounds or so.

I then tumble the cases in ground walnut for around 15 minutes to remOve the lube

I then trim and chamfer before returning to the press to load

1KPerDay
April 8, 2011, 02:07 PM
That's pretty nifty, actually.

acoop101
May 5, 2011, 12:43 AM
I've found a rag soaked in automatic transmission fluid will lube cases just fine, since I've switched over from one shot to automatic tranny fluid I've had no stuck cases. And it's cheap!

popper
May 5, 2011, 02:28 PM
I agree with shaggy, you can't tell when the can is out of lube. Finally got one stuck at the can's EOL. I'm changing to mink oil or toilet ring wax, which I have. Had to buy a removal tool (which I should have anyway) for .308. Shame imperial isn't available locally, tired of paying high shipping cost, but if it were, they wouldn't be able to sell the other stuff.

DANNY-L
May 5, 2011, 05:04 PM
When I use the one shot I'm very generous with it and I start sizing right away. When I do large quantity's I put the cases in a ziplock saturate them then blend it in. Works for me everytime.

ranger335v
May 5, 2011, 09:11 PM
"...it sound like Imperial must be the best."

Imperial is good stuff but that may be an over statement; actually, there are several lubes (and substitutes) that are fully equal.

How do I get StarBright Trailer Ball Lube off my rifle cases? I wipe it with a paper towel. Any that's left is too thin to cause a problem later but sprinkling a few drops of mineral spirts to dampen the towel removes it ALL.

Flatbush Harry
May 7, 2011, 12:32 AM
I've never tried the spray lubes (though I have an unused can of Lyman's version). I've used both Lyman lube and RCBS Case Lube #2 from a pad and one pass through each case with a neck brush that I run over the pad about every 5th or 6th case. I've never had a stuck case and I've resized brass from Win mod 70 and Savage 116 rifles and 3 different Garand M1s.

Getting the goop off is simple...I just toss the de-primed, resized brass into my tumbler and an hour later, they're all cleaned off. I use a small allen wrench through the flash hole to knock any cleaning media out during my final case prep and inspection.

Good luck.

FH

If you enjoyed reading about "stuck 30-06 cases in resizing die" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!