45 acp Ammo

PDA

bobnailer
March 28, 2011, 11:30 PM
Hello all,
I don't know if any of you have noticed but 45 acp ammo has gotten really expensive; just in the past two months it has increased from an average of $18 per 50 rounds to $24 for the same 50 rounds. I can't afford bulk ammo purchases now, but I can buy a box now and then as I can afford it. Obviously I can't afford to load my own ammo. I've searched the 'net until I'm cross-eyed and have had no luck. I've seen Tula steel cased ammo but it's pretty much sold out and the CCI stuff in aluminum cartridge cases is a non-starter with me. There is also a stupid rumor running on the 'net that I can get 45 acp inexpensively at Walmart but that has appeared to be false. So here's the big question: where can I buy 45 acp ammo inexpensively in 50 or 100 round boxes?
Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "45 acp Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rhodco
March 29, 2011, 12:14 AM
Bob, the best prices I have found are the "Canned Heat" specials on www.georgia-arms.com. But, you are going to have to come up with enough money to buy in bulk if you want the discounts. The advantage of online for you is no sales tax. Shipping is free, if you buy over a certain amount.

I get the 230gr. FMJ NATO .45ACP in the 500 round can for $170.00. If you buy 2 (1000 rounds), it's $330.00. You save $10.00. Rather than pay for shipping, I go to the gun shows where they have a table setup and buy from them there.

I know it's a lot of money to put out at once, but over time you pay much less per round in the end. Since I shoot a lot, it's the best option I have found.

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 12:21 AM
45 ACP in bulk is your friend.

If you cannot do that then Champion or WWB at Wally World is your best bet. WWB is $35 here and Champion is $16.95. Online you can get it down to about $179 shipped to your door.

If you can do 1000 rounds at a time... this is a great deal.

$339 + $9.99 shipping

http://www.weaponsworld.com/ammunition/pistol-ammunition/45-acp/rws-sport-ammunition-45-acp-230-grain-full-metal-jacket-case-of-1000-rds.html

9mmepiphany
March 29, 2011, 12:35 AM
That really is a good price, does it shoot well...I'm starting into my last 1k rounds of CCI Blazer

Hypnogator
March 29, 2011, 01:07 AM
WWB prices have remained the same in Mall Wart -- $32.97 per 100-rd box. That's $329.70 per 1,000 (plus tax but no shipping). :)

Sky
March 29, 2011, 01:36 AM
Also you can check Ammoseek.com for price comparisons.

Fmjblack
March 29, 2011, 01:59 AM
You say you can't afford to load your own ammo, but it sounds like you can't afford NOT to! For the amount you would spend on a case of .45acp you can buy a single stage press and all the components you would need to load up quite a few rounds. Reloading for .45acp quickly pays for the cost of the equipment. I reload lead 230 grain .45 for about $6 a box... Just save your money until you can buy a single stage reloading set up and you will be set to roll your own ammo cheaply. Beyond reloading don't expect to find .45 for much less than $20 a box any more, all ammo was due for a price hike this month due to a supposed increase in component costs. To put things in perspective, just 5 years ago brass cased .45 from walmart was $9 a box and wolf steel cased was about $5 a box!

Trisha
March 29, 2011, 05:33 PM
Hmm.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=CC53967&src=tpSlrHm

I reload. The Forster Co-Ax press is what I love and use in single stage because there's no shellplates, no primer seaters to buy.

eBay has a couple single stage presses:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCBS-ROCK-CHUCKER-RELOADINF-PRESS-/170620272947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b9c2c133

http://cgi.ebay.com/LYMAN-RELOADING-PRESS-/300540232848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f9980490

Powder measure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCBS-uniflow-powder-measure-/220761025342?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336661eb3e

Scale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Lyman-Ohaus-M5-Reloading-Scale-/220760535450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33665a719a

and shop for the dies.

If you don't have the inclination to reload, no problem. If you do, maybe you see you can get quality used equipment at better prices than retail.

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 06:08 PM
That really is a good price, does it shoot well...I'm starting into my last 1k rounds of CCI Blazer

I think it does. They claim that Sig uses it to tell their guns for whatever that is worth... LOL :evil:

I have a shot a lot of their 124ge 9mm. It is nato hot and accurate out of everything I shoot it out of. The 45 ACP has done well in my TRS and DW as well as my Sigs.

You say you can't afford to load your own ammo, but it sounds like you can't afford NOT to! For the amount you would spend on a case of .45acp you can buy a single stage press and all the components you would need to load up quite a few rounds. Reloading for .45acp quickly pays for the cost of the equipment. I reload lead 230 grain .45 for about $6 a box... Just save your money until you can buy a single stage reloading set up and you will be set to roll your own ammo cheaply. Beyond reloading don't expect to find .45 for much less than $20 a box any more, all ammo was due for a price hike this month due to a supposed increase in component costs. To put things in perspective, just 5 years ago brass cased .45 from walmart was $9 a box and wolf steel cased was about $5 a box!

People always make this argument but never factor in the time it takes to load the ammo and the issues with learning to do it properly. Look at any reloading section of any forum and you will find threads from people who have had issues. 45 is a pretty tame round as far as pressure goes but have seen 40 S&W kaboom with hand reloads. How much do you think those guys saved by blowing up their gun? There was a recent thread where a lady blew up her Kahr CW45 should we add that $450 tab to her cost of reloading? For me the idea of reloading holds zero allure for me. I think about it every now and then but continue to buy ammo in bulk and use my free time for other pursuits. :) YMMV Nothing wrong with reload if you like doing it.

Also you are wrong about your can't find 45 ACP under $20 a box, assuming you mean 50 rounds per box, I never pay more than $17 delivered for 50 rounds.

saenzrich
March 29, 2011, 06:21 PM
Two weeks ago I got 500 rds of Tula for 156.00 to my door thru SGA AMMO, and all went bang too.

rscalzo
March 29, 2011, 06:23 PM
WWB prices have remained the same in Mall Wart -- $32.97 per 100-rd box

That was the price although I haven't seen any lately. Even the shelf tag for the 100 round box is gone. all other calibers were well stocked.

Delford
March 29, 2011, 06:51 PM
Just bought a box of WWB at WM a few weeks ago then shot 100 rounds and stopped at WM on the way home & bought another 100. We have about 6 WMs to chose from and I shop them all and not all have it at the same time.

Fmjblack
March 29, 2011, 07:00 PM
I think it does. They claim that Sig uses it to tell their guns for whatever that is worth... LOL :evil:

I have a shot a lot of their 124ge 9mm. It is nato hot and accurate out of everything I shoot it out of. The 45 ACP has done well in my TRS and DW as well as my Sigs.

People always make this argument but never factor in the time it takes to load the ammo and the issues with learning to do it properly. Look at any reloading section of any forum and you will find threads from people who have had issues. 45 is a pretty tame round as far as pressure goes but have seen 40 S&W kaboom with hand reloads. How much do you think those guys saved by blowing up their gun? There was a recent thread where a lady blew up her Kahr CW45 should we add that $450 tab to her cost of reloading? For me the idea of reloading holds zero allure for me. I think about it every now and then but continue to buy ammo in bulk and use my free time for other pursuits. :) YMMV Nothing wrong with reload if you like doing it.

Also you are wrong about your can't find 45 ACP under $20 a box, assuming you mean 50 rounds per box, I never pay more than $17 delivered for 50 rounds.

I didn't say you CAN'T find it for under $20 a box. Ammo prices are rising yet again throughout this month and it will be harder and harder to find .45 for under $20 a box... even if you are paying $17 a box I can reload for MUCH cheaper.
Reloading is really not difficult at all, but if somebody is mentally challenged or impatient to the point that they are making frequent mistakes I agree that they probably shouldn't reload. For most people that reload it is an enjoyable hobby in and of itself and we see it as a constructive use of time instead of wasting time doing pointless things like watching tv. If somebody hates reloading, I agree that they are best to avoid it. My point remains that he will be hard pressed to find ammo for the price he wants if he doesn't get into reloading.

Trisha
March 29, 2011, 07:31 PM
That's why I threw the Natchez link out there.

CCI Speer Lawman 45 ACP 230 gr FMJ Ammunition 50/Box $17.99/box

or

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=221732653

I'm paying about $.10/round being I reload only a couple hundred rounds at a time, usually, and rarely buy components in case lots.

Prices these days for factory match grade ammunition makes my eyes bleed. . .

Kingcreek
March 29, 2011, 07:44 PM
I bought a dillon square deal dedicated to .45acp when they first came out. I bought several pounds of 231 powder and many thousands bullets. I saved enough to pay for several guns. I've never changed the die or powder settings and I have loaded over 40k rounds on it.

Dave T
March 29, 2011, 08:54 PM
I bought a dillon square deal dedicated to .45acp when they first came out. I bought several pounds of 231 powder and many thousands bullets. I saved enough to pay for several guns. I've never changed the die or powder settings and I have loaded over 40k rounds on it.

The above is your answer.

Dave

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 09:32 PM
I just heard a story about Wally World requesting their manufacturers to "weaken" the loads supplied to them...I can't believe a national chain would/could do this, but the folks who told me are usually pretty reputable - can anyone substantiate/refute?

CJS06
March 29, 2011, 09:37 PM
try USA Ammo they sell as little as 50 rd boxes or in bulk. It is reloaded brass.

marsofold
March 29, 2011, 09:40 PM
What brand is the "canned heat" 45acp 230 grain special? Wonder if the company is reloading and selling their reloads...

Valkman
March 29, 2011, 09:44 PM
Yea it can cost some $$$ to get going reloading - I went all the way in '03 and bought everything I'd need from Brian Enos. Dillon 550B, digital scale, tumbler, everything. I liked it so much that later I added another 550B off of ebay.

Most of us have not blown up our guns because we pay attention to what we are doing. Read some reloading manuals and "The ABC's of Reloading" and get going! Time is a factor but once you're set up it doesn't take long to knock out 100 rounds on a progressive machine.

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 09:44 PM
Bob, the best prices I have found are the "Canned Heat" specials on www.georgia-arms.com. But, you are going to have to come up with enough money to buy in bulk if you want the discounts. The advantage of online for you is no sales tax. Shipping is free, if you buy over a certain amount.

I get the 230gr. FMJ NATO .45ACP in the 500 round can for $170.00. If you buy 2 (1000 rounds), it's $330.00. You save $10.00. Rather than pay for shipping, I go to the gun shows where they have a table setup and buy from them there.

I know it's a lot of money to put out at once, but over time you pay much less per round in the end. Since I shoot a lot, it's the best option I have found.
I just went online (thanks for the link) and found the "canned heat" section and was all ready to order 1000 rds for $330.00....but when I went in to "view" the product I found a message indicating they were temporarily out of stock due to some "component" issue!?

http://georgia-arms.com/cannedheat45acp230grfullmetaljacket1000pk.aspx

My first thought was "wow, those guys on THR don't fool around...when thy buy ammo...they buy ammo...."

Just wondering if maybe the "component" issue is the metal ammo can?

Anyone else see this?

Oh...by the way, Trisha - I tried your link to gunbroker - and with a couple days left they have no bidders and a $400 "buy now" price....is that typical?

Damon555
March 29, 2011, 09:47 PM
I love a huge pile of freshly loaded 45 ACP.......

1000 rounds for $150. Not the cheapest possible but still much cheaper than buying loaded ammo.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/edlafond/DSC_5082.jpg

NG VI
March 29, 2011, 10:20 PM
Just wondering if maybe the "component" issue is the metal ammo can?

Doubt it, they had a notice on their homepage that said they are out of ammo cans, so they will be replacing them with some plastic ammo cans they got.

ColtPythonElite
March 29, 2011, 10:38 PM
You ammo buyers can offset your costs even more....I'll pay you 50 bucks for every 1k pieces of brass you send me.

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 10:51 PM
You ammo buyers can offset your costs even more....I'll pay you 50 bucks for every 1k pieces of brass you send me.

PM sent.

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 11:04 PM
You guys have probably heard of "Cheaper Than Dirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?catid=104)"...looked up 45 ACP ammo and found the following: 250 rds of 230gr, FMJ

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM513-5.html

Shipping 250 rds from Fort Worth, TX to central FL was about $33.00

There was also an auction for Remington target, .45 ACP, 230 gr, MC - at the following:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AuctionArms/Listing.aspx?item=10259817.

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 11:08 PM
45 ACP in bulk is your friend.

If you cannot do that then Champion or WWB at Wally World is your best bet. WWB is $35 here and Champion is $16.95. Online you can get it down to about $179 shipped to your door.

If you can do 1000 rounds at a time... this is a great deal.

$339 + $9.99 shipping

http://www.weaponsworld.com/ammunition/pistol-ammunition/45-acp/rws-sport-ammunition-45-acp-230-grain-full-metal-jacket-case-of-1000-rds.html
OK, Wally World, I know...but what's "WWB"?

rellascout
March 29, 2011, 11:09 PM
Winchester white box.

The White Tiger
March 29, 2011, 11:53 PM
Gotcha, thanks!

rhodco
March 30, 2011, 01:32 AM
I've been shooting Georgia Arms ammo for over 15 years with no problems. Yes, they load their own in a factory in Villa Rica, GA. The "Canned Heat" specials used to be obvious reloads years ago, but the last few times I bought some it all looked like new brass to me.

0to60
March 30, 2011, 01:44 AM
I love a huge pile of freshly loaded 45 ACP.......

1000 rounds for $150. Not the cheapest possible but still much cheaper than buying loaded ammo.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/edlafond/DSC_5082.jpg
That comes to .15 per round, and you're shooting 230 FMJ, from the looks of it. I'm reloading with 230 LRN, and I can't get my price down below .18 per round. Where are you buying your components?

I'm getting bulk lead from midway, and then primers and powder from cabela's (buying these online entails a hazmat fee that costs a ton).

ColtPythonElite
March 30, 2011, 04:18 AM
0to60,

Your bulk lead bullets from Midway is one thing that is keeping your price up...Have you give Missouri Bullet Co a look? I loaded 2k lead 200 SWC and 2k 230 LR this winter. Savy shopping got my cost down to around .12 a round.

EMT40SW
March 30, 2011, 04:32 AM
What about saving your brass cases or picking some up at the range & sending them to get remanufactured? I have used this company & even with shipping I get fifty rounds of .40SW for $12 including shipping both ways. Thier .45 ACP & .357 mag is good too:

http://www.mastercast.net/mastercast.net/Remanufactured_Ammo_Retail_Sales.html

http://www.mastercast.net/mastercast.net/Welcome.html

Good luck

ColtPythonElite
March 30, 2011, 04:40 AM
20 years ago before I started reloading, I used a now defunct company named National Bullet Company to load for me. I could get 1k .38 158 gr LSWC loaded and shipped back to me for a little over 60 bucks. I shot many thousand of them.....The also sold some really nice lead bullets. Matter of fact, I've got 750 of their bullets left that I plan to load tomorrow....At any rate, if I didn't load now I'd probably have Mastercast do it for me.

The White Tiger
March 30, 2011, 11:11 AM
I don't know, I'm kinda of the same opinion as rellascout on reloads - I'm not sure I want to pack my own shoot...I want ammo to go boom, but I've always been the type that wanted the lead to go down range.

You guys that shoot reloads, or reload your own...what experience have you had? Have you ever had problems? How long till you're proficient at it?

...I ask these questions because if we're headed where I think we're headed, I probably need to think about it - but to be honest, I'm concerned about safety.

PabloJ
March 30, 2011, 11:14 AM
I dumped S&W .45Auto. Now I shoot S&W Model 17. Ammo is $1.99 per 50 at local store and with proper cleaning the gun will last forever. I don't have to pay outrageous prices for factory ammo or spend valuable time at the reloading bench just to make holes in paper at local indoor range. Life is grand!

Fmjblack
March 30, 2011, 11:41 AM
I don't know, I'm kinda of the same opinion as rellascout on reloads - I'm not sure I want to pack my own shoot...I want ammo to go boom, but I've always been the type that wanted the lead to go down range.

You guys that shoot reloads, or reload your own...what experience have you had? Have you ever had problems? How long till you're proficient at it?

...I ask these questions because if we're headed where I think we're headed, I probably need to think about it - but to be honest, I'm concerned about safety.

I've been reloading for about 6 years now and have NEVER loaded a bad round, they have all shot and performed as they should. It seems that people who don't reload think it is some magical art that is really difficult to perform. I started with a single stage Lee kit that cost a whopping $70 and I was loading perfectly functioning cartridges within an hour of unboxing the press. Really the only two steps that you can go dangerously wrong on are dropping the wrong amount of powder or seating the bullet too deep. Both of these potential hazards are easily addressed by weighing powder charges frequently (a powder cop die is another precaution some choose to take) and using a set of calipers to measure the length of the cartridge after loading. I have had several factory new rounds that have been duds or have shown signs of being loaded too hot and have NEVER had a problem with one of my reloads, so I trust my reloads more than factory ammo. Just follow directions and use common sense and reloading will not be an issue.

jcj
March 30, 2011, 11:57 AM

I've only been reloading for about a year now and 45ACP is the only caliber I reload. I've sent around 1,000 rounds of my own reloads downrange with 0 problems. Very simple and safe as long as you can follow basic guidelines and pay attention.

I really enjoy it because I can hand load different charges to find and use what shoots best in my guns. It's really a hobby within a hobby.

CHEVELLE427
March 30, 2011, 12:05 PM
not just 45acp

bulk 22's have gone from $9.89 to $18.00 +$ in just 2 years.

the writing was on the wall 2 years back. this is why i have bought bulk packs of 22's every few weeks for over 2 years now.

another reason i started reloading 30+ years ago. zero trouble except an occasional new bullet i might try and find my gun does not care for it , if i stay with some kind of round nose there is no problems at all
just shot up some 1990 stuff last week and all went down range.

Fmjblack
March 30, 2011, 02:12 PM
not just 45acp

bulk 22's have gone from $9.89 to $18.00 +$ in just 2 years.

the writing was on the wall 2 years back. this is why i have bought bulk packs of 22's every few weeks for over 2 years now.

No doubt about that, ammo prices have gone up across the board every few months over the last few years. I remember like it was yesterday walmart selling brass-cased 9mm $4/50, .45acp $9/50, .223 $3/20, .22lr $8/550, etc. I was ordering 1,000 round cases of brass .223 online for about $100. .45 acp was the first round I started reloading because I was tired of paying prices that would now be a steal!

The White Tiger
March 30, 2011, 03:02 PM
What books/reference materials would you reloaders receommend...should I decide to look into this?

Fmjblack
March 30, 2011, 03:15 PM
What books/reference materials would you reloaders receommend...should I decide to look into this?

Lee modern reloading edition 2 is a good book to start with, it has loads for just about every caliber out there and also has a large section that covers a large range of reloading topics like casting bullets. Honestly the only literature I used for a while was the instruction manuals that came with the reloading kit and dies.

Trisha
March 30, 2011, 03:17 PM
Most recently, I started reloading with the Forster Co-Ax 18 years ago and that's over the 50k round mark. No signs of wear, and with no testosterone poisoning I'm meticulous, patient. No problems (no squibs, no over-crimps, not even a dud primer). When I chose to buy a progressive I bought a Dillon 650 and it's only run about 24K. It just needs to be kept clean and it cranks out reloads very nicely. Paying attention has kept me from blithely boxing up a round that didn't seat a primer perfectly - but I come awfully close to OCD.

I know my amunition. I carry mint, virgin components that are matched to under .2 grain and .002" OAL as personal defensive loads. Twice a year I replace the ammunition and box it up, dating it, and wait a couple years to chrono it to check for consistency and function. I haven't yet broken +/- 15fps, ever.

The results depend on the individual, hon.

If it doesn't interest you, move on and stay safe.

CHEVELLE427
March 30, 2011, 03:17 PM
speer is good but you will find some books wont have the same info on min and max loads, so a few books are good to have,

most data is free on line or some gun shops have free handouts from powder companies.

my 2 to go to books are lee and speer. i have 5 or 6 books and a lot of hand outs along with marked sites on the INTERNET.

ColtPythonElite
March 30, 2011, 03:18 PM
x2 on the Lee book for good reading material. I enjoyed the book just as one to read. I also like the Speer manuals and usually use them for data.......IMO, it is good to have two different sources of reloading data to cross reference to each other in a way to double check recommended powder charges.

rellascout
March 30, 2011, 03:39 PM
Honestly I look at doing it all the time but when I factor in the cost of equipment, time and the space which might be the biggest issue of all never pull the trigger. I do not have a room I can dedicate to it at this time.

There are some cost savings but when I question a lot of reloaders and they are honest it is not that they spend less they just shoot more which is a good thing. :D

What I have found is that most people have a $$$ amount they can spend on shooting. Lets say its $150 a month. If you buy NIB in bulk that means about 500 rounds of 45 a month. Once they start reloading they are still spending $150 but they are now shooting 1000 rounds a month. Again not a bad thing but it does not really end up putting money back in your pocket.... :evil:

Trisha
March 30, 2011, 03:54 PM
Absolutely!

I love to bake, cinnamon rolls from scratch with the best ingredients; a pan doesn't live to see 48 hours pass and I haven't been a size 8 in a long time!

I reload, so of course "the savings" don't go into my purse! If I started buying components in bulk again the cost/round of 230gr ball FMJ (not plated) would be just about exactly $.07/round per 1000. Go plated, or hard cast and it drops another two cents/round easily.

We're talkin a boatload of downrange goodness here!

TexasRifleman
March 30, 2011, 03:57 PM
What brand is the "canned heat" 45acp 230 grain special? Wonder if the company is reloading and selling their reloads...

Canned Heat is Georgia Arms bulk ammo. Excellent ammo and generally new or almost new brass, it reloads just fine.

By the way, GA updates their website pretty much daily. Just last week I checked every morning for several days and found "out of stock" then the next morning there it was, got my order in. The next day I went back to check and "out of stock" again.

So I am assuming it's a fairly realtime notification, keep checking back. Also, they have the note they are out of metal ammo cans but that's only the .30 cal size. If you order 1000 rounds they still ship in the metal .50 can.

The White Tiger
March 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
No, I don't think I would do it for a cost savings, I think I would do it for the same reason I just bought a years worth of food for everyone in my family...

0to60
March 30, 2011, 05:54 PM
If I started buying components in bulk again the cost/round of 230gr ball FMJ (not plated) would be just about exactly $.07/round per 1000. Go plated, or hard cast and it drops another two cents/round easily.

How??

The cheapest way I can buy powder is at Cabela's (at least, where I live). 1# of Win 231 costs $20, before tax. There are 7000 grains in a pound, and my load is 5 grains. So that means I use 70% of a 1# container of Win 231. 1000 cast 230 grain bullets costs me $93 shipped, that's through Missouri Bullet Company. 1000 primers is around $30, again at Cabela's. I have to pay sales tax of 9.5% there, but its cheaper than paying shipping + hazmat fee if I buy online (that goes for powder too).

So excluding the price of brass, that all comes to .14 a round. How are you doing this for .07 a round? Heck, the price of the lead alone comes to .09 a round.

Damon555
March 30, 2011, 06:36 PM
That comes to .15 per round, and you're shooting 230 FMJ, from the looks of it. I'm reloading with 230 LRN, and I can't get my price down below .18 per round. Where are you buying your components?

I'm getting bulk lead from midway, and then primers and powder from cabela's (buying these online entails a hazmat fee that costs a ton).
Those were built with Unique, Rainier 230g round nose plated bullets and federal primers. The bass is usually the expensive part. But my brother has a very large supply from his shooting days 10 years ago.

Every round I have ever made has functioned flawlessly except for 1. That was a .223 that ended up having a bad primer.....not really my fault. I have loaded thousands of rounds on a single stage press....

Yes, I do have the occasional malfunction. But we're talking 1 out of every 500 that might fail to eject. Acceptable for range ammo in my opinion. But the rounds always go boom. I attribute the malfunctions to the brass. It's unsorted and I'm sure some cases aren't perfectly in spec.

It's nice to buy in bulk. I've got 8 lbs of Unique, 1500 Rainier plated bullets and 2000 primers. Not to mention a good supply of components for my 9mm and 38 Super. This stuff isn't getting any cheaper. I buy it when I need it and I order as much as I can afford.

Fmjblack
March 30, 2011, 07:22 PM
Honestly I look at doing it all the time but when I factor in the cost of equipment, time and the space which might be the biggest issue of all never pull the trigger. I do not have a room I can dedicate to it at this time.

There are some cost savings but when I question a lot of reloaders and they are honest it is not that they spend less they just shoot more which is a good thing. :D

What I have found is that most people have a $$$ amount they can spend on shooting. Lets say its $150 a month. If you buy NIB in bulk that means about 500 rounds of 45 a month. Once they start reloading they are still spending $150 but they are now shooting 1000 rounds a month. Again not a bad thing but it does not really end up putting money back in your pocket.... :evil:

Well of course you CAN spend just as much money in a given timeframe if you choose to shoot more after you start reloading, but that is a personal choice and you are still saving money on an equal quantity of ammo. When I started reloading I didn't look at it like "hey I'll shoot the same amount each month and save money!" I looked at it like "hey I can shoot 3 or 4 times more ammo for the same money!" I have many calibers that I shoot and I do not reload for all of them. It isn't worth the time or investment to me for cheap ammo like 9mm or calibers that I very rarely shoot like 7.62 nagant. The amount I have saved on other calibers like .45 acp, .45 colt, .44 magnum, .44 special, .223, etc. has paid for my equipment several times over.

capreppy
April 1, 2011, 03:51 AM
How??

The cheapest way I can buy powder is at Cabela's (at least, where I live). 1# of Win 231 costs $20, before tax. There are 7000 grains in a pound, and my load is 5 grains. So that means I use 70% of a 1# container of Win 231. 1000 cast 230 grain bullets costs me $93 shipped, that's through Missouri Bullet Company. 1000 primers is around $30, again at Cabela's. I have to pay sales tax of 9.5% there, but its cheaper than paying shipping + hazmat fee if I buy online (that goes for powder too).

So excluding the price of brass, that all comes to .14 a round. How are you doing this for .07 a round? Heck, the price of the lead alone comes to .09 a round.
Bulk is key.

Powder Valley:
8# jug of HP-38 (same as W231) is $110.50. @ 5grs per round, this works out to $0.01 per round. 8# is good for 11,200 rounds
10K CCI #300 (LPP) is $255.00. this works out to $0.025 per round

Yes there is a $25 HazMat charge. There is only ONE charge for the above order. $25 over 10,000 rounds is $0.0025 (obviously insignificant). Shipping for the above will be around $15 (being overly conservative here).

MBC:
Price of shipping 1000 ($13) is the same as 2000. I buy 2000 to spread the cost of shipping.

This is how you get to really low per round values.
$0.075 (MBC, for me it is the 200gr LSWC, IDP #1)
$0.026 (Primer)
$0.010 (Powder)

I don't factor in brass as I have TONs. Total cost per round is $0.11

Cabela's instore ONLY sells 1# cannisters @ $20/cannister + tax.
By buying from PV in 8# jugs, it works out to $13.81/#. That is $7 per pound savings.

Trisha
April 1, 2011, 02:23 PM
For those who love beautiful quality cast bullets, Oregon Trail has a "Buy 5K and get another 1K free!" deal.

http://laser-cast.com/

Gosh, how to keep reloading prices down? Wait for sales, hon. Get on the mailing lists for a handful of good companies and then be patient. My last order through a "going out of business" sale was 10K Remington 230gr RN. Came to $.06/round, delivered. I'm just finishing that batch.

(shrugs)

I've got the time, and the space here to do that. Lots of folk don't and I truly do feel the pain of being at the mercy of the current market!

Unless I find a better deal (kinda unlikely as the start of shooting season for most = spring) I'll probably buy 3K of their FMJ from Montana Gold and maybe jump on that deal from Oregon Trail. Nine cases will last me a long time, what with shoulder surgery ahead. I still have 8K Fiocchi primers (love that lead styphenate ignition) and a couple 5 gallon buckets of brass waiting to be cleaned up.

I'm going to be adventurous and try a couple pounds of Hogdon powder, see how it compares to my long time love affair with VihtaVuori (http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/vihtavuori.php).

How do I get lead cheaper? I trade some of my fresh roast coffee for a couple buckets of wheel weights from a tire franchise owner every now and then. Looking at maybe not having full strength again in my right arm (casting just seems safer with two hands IMO), I'll just move on and enjoy those lovely Laser Cast rounds.

mnhntr
April 1, 2011, 02:30 PM
I am with the reloaders on this. I started reloading a couple years ago and it is somthing ou can just buy the parts as you can afford it and when you got it together it is cheap to reload.
Trisha, I use hodgdon for 45acp. I like Tightgroup but I also use Accurate #5 from Accurate powders.

dprice3844444
April 1, 2011, 02:36 PM
try gander mountain and see if they still have the saturday buy 1 box,get the second half off

The White Tiger
April 1, 2011, 06:43 PM
You know, those rumors about "cheap" ammo at Wally World certainly may have gotten folks to go to their stores an check out the ammo...because I've been to two of them today and couldn't find a single box!

I went to Gander Mountain and found out that the Remington UMC, 230gr, FMJ's were on sale, but they're sold out.

I found that Gander had another brand of "bulk" (box of 250 rds) of Remington .45 ACP on sale for $99.00 or a box of 50 Blazer Brass .45's for $25.00...neither of which sounds like a "sale" to me...

...but is anyone else finding it difficult to source .45 ACP rds locally?

Fmjblack
April 1, 2011, 07:58 PM
You know, those rumors about "cheap" ammo at Wally World certainly may have gotten folks to go to their stores an check out the ammo...because I've been to two of them today and couldn't find a single box!

I went to Gander Mountain and found out that the Remington UMC, 230gr, FMJ's were on sale, but they're sold out.

I found that Gander had another brand of "bulk" (box of 250 rds) of Remington .45 ACP on sale for $99.00 or a box of 50 Blazer Brass .45's for $25.00...neither of which sounds like a "sale" to me...

...but is anyone else finding it difficult to source .45 ACP rds locally?

The inventory of ammo at most walmarts has been pretty spotty since the ammo shortage after the election. For the ammo I don't reload I usually just buy online or check the shelf at walmart when I happen to be there for something else and sometimes I get lucky.

CJS06
April 1, 2011, 09:10 PM
There is a new(er) ammo manufacturer that I just recently tried. Now they will be my primary supplier for .45,.40S&W,.380,9mm,5.56 etc. They use all new components for reload pricing.

Freedom Ammunition
http://freedomammunition.com/

Give them a try. Great guys at a small company doing it right.

1000rds 230gr FMJ .45 ACP $317 shipped

The White Tiger
April 2, 2011, 12:17 AM
The inventory of ammo at most walmarts has been pretty spotty since the ammo shortage after the election. For the ammo I don't reload I usually just buy online or check the shelf at walmart when I happen to be there for something else and sometimes I get lucky.
Went to another Walmart on my way home this evening - it was a big Superstore - same story. Plenty of 40 S&W, .380 ACP, 38, 22 (Mini and Maxi mag)...but not a single round of 45's...the clerk told me they haven't been able to keep it in the store. I commented that they seemed to have plenty of 9mm Luger, but he said that was rare too - they've only just caught up with demand on this size.

...he's been wondering why they can't seem to do the same on 45 ACP - said that folks show up and check all the time, when an order for it comes in - it's gone in a couple of hours?!

Seems a bit odd -anyone else having trouble finding .45 ACP in central Florida?

The White Tiger
April 2, 2011, 02:04 AM
For all of those "non-loaders", found some decent ammo deals (but you have to buy "bulk"/1000 rds minimum) at U.S. Armoment (http://usarmorment.com/ammunition-45-acp-c-1_318.html).

jeepguy
April 2, 2011, 10:58 AM
.45 is my favorite round to shoot but i only have 1 .45 caliber pistol, becuse of the cost. i used to be able to find it for $16 to $17 a box but lately more like $20. so i have 3 9mm's & a .40 to shoot more affordable ammo. (imo) i would think .40 would cost more becuse their isn't as many people who have them, compared to .45 caliber handguns.

capreppy
April 2, 2011, 11:04 AM
Wally World (2 within a 5 mile radius and a few others) hasn't had any .45ACP since before Christmas. I'm sure the biggest issue is when something comes in, whoever is there first just guys everything. I am unfortunately guilty of this. When I first got my SA XDm .45ACP, I wanted to take it to the range and the only way to get cheap ammo was to just buy whatever WM had on the shelves. Whenever I am in WW, I swing by that department and take a peek at the shelves. I go once or twice a week (ours is a Super WM so grocery shopping is done there). Nothing in 3+ months.

The White Tiger
April 2, 2011, 11:51 PM
Interesting - I am researching whether I can get a .22 barrel for my Sig P220?

If I can shoot for accuracy, with my current pistol, I can buy some Hornaday's for home defense - and shoot a BUNCH of .22LR's (cheaply) to develop accuracy with one pistol!

bobnailer
June 16, 2011, 09:36 PM
I've bought lots of Tula .45acp from SG Ammo, it all went bang except for one round which upon retry it too went bang.

Bob

Hondo 60
June 16, 2011, 11:44 PM
I'm a reloader too.
When I decided to start reloading it was because I didn't like the cost of factory ammo.

But I have to admit I'm as guilty as many others, in that I don't save anything, I just shoot a LOT more.

And by the way, my favorite reloading manual is Lyman's 49th Edition.
It has all the advantages of Modern Reloading by Richard Lee with out all the grandstanding about Lee equipment.

csa77
June 17, 2011, 12:13 AM
where i live the cheapest .45 ammo i can find is from wallmart, i pay 33cents per round.

i have scoured the internet many times hit up every local gun show and the best i have found is 33 cents but i have to buy 1,500 rounds at a time. can can get wwb-100rds and UMC 250 count boxes at wallyworld for 33cents per. so far its the best i have found.

i have seen steel case go for lower but i refuse to shoot that though any of my guns, same for reloads.

Apocalypse-Now
June 17, 2011, 02:26 AM
eventually 9mm and 40cal will be going for current 45acp prices.

9's catching up with 40 in price pretty quick, and 40 is catching up with 45 even faster.

ammo prices rise faster than inflation and materials value (brass, lead etc.).

it's no mystery.

this is the kind of thing that happens when a monopoly largely controls an industry in this country: remington/winchester/ATK.

Whiskey11
June 17, 2011, 09:36 PM
What I have found is that most people have a $$$ amount they can spend on shooting. Lets say its $150 a month. If you buy NIB in bulk that means about 500 rounds of 45 a month. Once they start reloading they are still spending $150 but they are now shooting 1000 rounds a month. Again not a bad thing but it does not really end up putting money back in your pocket....

This argument really started to get old with me. If I reload only what I intend to shoot on an outing, eventually I will save money. I shoot approx 500 rounds an outing of .45 ACP. I buy bullets (my limiting component due to amount per box) on my way home from an outing, 500 at a time. If I shoot twice a month, at 500 rounds an outing, I'm still saving aprox 50% over the cost of factory. Now, granted, I reached the cap on how much I can shoot in a day, so the argument of "you don't save money, you just shoot twice as much" is false, for me. I don't look at the monthly cost, just the cost of what an outing is. Why? Because I don't like budgeting my range trips as they are dependent on how work goes and how I feel. Some weekends I just don't go, some I do. At least twice a month though!

Thankfully loading 500 at a time has saved me enough money to pay for my Hornady LNL AP progressive after a whopping 1250 rounds or so.

As for how much? Buying components all locally, I have a cost of 110$ per 500 rounds. Not the greatest pricing ever, but still cheaper than buying locally. Here locally I'd be happy to buy a box of .45 ACP for less than 25$ per 50. Walmarts here don't carry handgun ammo, just shotgun.

The White Tiger
June 18, 2011, 02:33 AM
And to put a finer point on it - brass, copper, and lead, aren't really going up in price - the dollar is simply eroding away before our eye's...

I have found a place that will teaches classes in reloading. They asked which ammo I shoot the most and told me the same thing Whiskey, it's the same as budgeting.

Can any of you re-loader's advise (via PM, so I don't hijack this thread) with what would be a decent price on a reload lesson(s)?

capreppy
June 18, 2011, 10:05 AM
Can any of you re-loader's advise (via PM, so I don't hijack this thread) with what would be a decent price on a reload lesson(s)?
Cabela's does reloading sessions for free (or at least mine does) twice on Sundays. They are always there (well most of the times anyway) to ask additional questions.

I learned basic reloading and safety steps by attending a couple of sessions. I did a follow up session after my equipment showed up and I'd done a hundred rounds.

The White Tiger
June 18, 2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks capreppy, do they provide the equipment, or do you have to buy/have the reload equipment prior to the reloading session(s)?

Apocalypse-Now
June 18, 2011, 06:59 PM
i just don't have time to reload. it'd be nice to save money, but i can't quite my job and fore go other obligations to sit in my basement pumping a loading press.

capreppy
June 18, 2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks capreppy, do they provide the equipment, or do you have to buy/have the reload equipment prior to the reloading session(s)?
I did not know SQUAT nor have any equipment. My wife actually suggested it. After I attended the free course (asked a lot of questions as did the others attending at the time) I had a good basic knowledge of reloading.

You can buy equipment there. They don't care where you buy it. They just want you prepared. I do buy some things there but mostly off the web.

capreppy
June 18, 2011, 07:41 PM
The classes "show" you how to do the steps. There are some things that are hands on, but mostly discussion about tools and procedures and steps.

The White Tiger
June 20, 2011, 01:56 AM
AWESOME!! Thanks guys, you would not believe what a (small) local gunshop guy near my house actually charges for re-loading lessons...of course (he managed to say with a straight face), he provides the equipment AND it's "hands on" for everyone...but the lesson charges are as much as a beginner single stage, and you DON'T get to keep any of the equipment!

Great information - I appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

flashhider
June 20, 2011, 06:11 PM
ColtPythonElite - I will start saving my brass.

chrt396
June 20, 2011, 06:23 PM
There is a shop in our town..I don't know if he ships..but for 500 rounds of 230grain RN ball ammo...he charges $135 with brass exchange and $155 without brass! If you go with 1000 rounds, it's basically double that! He also has 50 and 250 ct. packages as well. $135 divided by 500 = .27 per round. .27 x 100 = $27 per 100. He uses Montana Gold bullets and 4.8g Tite Group as a powder..with CCI primers. The shops name is GS Custom guns and ammo. His number is 727-541-2200. Gary is the owners name. Again..I don't know if he ships..but it may be worth it to call. His loads are EXCELLENT. As much as I reload...I have only one bullet/powder combination that is as accurate as his. At his prices, it's almost not worth reloading! However..I'm still searching for the Holy Grail in loads!

chrt396
June 20, 2011, 06:27 PM
AWESOME!! Thanks guys, you would not believe what a (small) local gunshop guy near my house actually charges for re-loading lessons...of course (he managed to say with a straight face), he provides the equipment AND it's "hands on" for everyone...but the lesson charges are as much as a beginner single stage, and you DON'T get to keep any of the equipment!

Great information - I appreciate you sharing your knowledge!
The shop that I just posted about actually taught me how ro reload...for free! I had to volunteer a few hours sorting brass..which sucks..but the information was well worth the time! I'm am forever grateful to him for sharing his knowledge for just a few hours of volunteer work!

ohwell
June 20, 2011, 07:08 PM
i just don't have time to reload. it'd be nice to save money, but i can't quite my job and fore go other obligations to sit in my basement pumping a loading press.

It only takes about an hour for each 50 rounds I reload I use AA#5 and 200 grain Hornady xtp's but I use Hornady CD when I carry . Over 500 posts in less than a month you have time to reload.

If you enjoyed reading about "45 acp Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!