First Load Strategy

PDA

brainwake
March 29, 2011, 02:19 AM
I am working up my recipe for a .270 Win handload. This will be my deer hunting load.

I am using 150gr BTSP

Powder is H4831SC

I loaded up 17 rounds like this

5 @ 54 grains (1 foul)
4 @ 55 grains
4 @ 56 grains
4 @ 57 grains

I figure I will shoot these in groups of 4 and pick the best one.

Then load up again with groups closer to my pick from the first trip. to get my load.

Does this sound like a good strategy to dial my load in?

If you enjoyed reading about "First Load Strategy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
March 29, 2011, 10:38 AM
Good as any. If one charge weight stands out, reload some more with that weight and see if it will do it consistently. If it does you have something. If two look good, reload some of both and shoot two or three groups with each. If they both still shoot well, try the in between charge weight. If one of these shoots well, trying different primers can sometimes make a difference. For hunting ammo I would load to the cannelure using a nice medium roll crimp and not worry about tweaking O.A.L. Just find a load that shoots well like that.

TheCracker
March 29, 2011, 01:17 PM
Your plan sounds good to me. I've loaded a number of 270 win rounds to test in a very similar manner.

One thing that I've found to really keep results consistent is let your barrel cool between each shot. Remember when you are hunting generally you will be shooting with a cold barrel and that 1st shot is 99% of the time the one that counts.

ArchAngelCD
March 30, 2011, 01:36 AM
Just make sure your barrel is totally cooled between different rounds or the results will be invalid.

If you enjoyed reading about "First Load Strategy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!