Flying with Ammo

PDA

SkinnyGrey
March 29, 2011, 09:41 PM
I am flying tomorrow with two handguns. Am I aloud to check ammo in my luggage?

If you enjoyed reading about "Flying with Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NOLAEMT
March 29, 2011, 09:43 PM
yep.

needs to be in packaging designed to hold ammunition. aka, not loose in a plastic bag.

you are also limited to 11 pounds of it as i recall.

Smoovbiscuit
March 29, 2011, 09:46 PM
Same question! I'm flying next wed.

From what I have read, I'm pretty sure most airlines will let you, but they have to be properly boxed, which I couldn't get a clear definition on what that is. Anyone know?

@nolaemt, so the boxes they came in should be fine? they are just regular winchester rounds.

MrCleanOK
March 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
Generally yes, but check your airlines rules to be sure your packaging, etc. is in compliance.

paradox998
March 29, 2011, 09:50 PM
Yes, you can check ammo in your luggage. It must either be in the original box, or boxes designed for ammo, such as reloading boxes. Not a bad idea to also place ammo boxes in another cardboard box. I believe you can also transport in magazines, but I not done that.

Shadow 7D
March 29, 2011, 10:33 PM
READ THE AIRLINES WEBSITE
like really, they have entire sections with explicit instructions....

OH, and carry a copy of the TSA hand book, you will read it before anybody in the TSA does, and DON'T use TSA locks on the pistol case. Secure means you don't have a gun, and they don't have a key.

kingpin008
March 29, 2011, 10:54 PM
Not to be a jerk, but a quick search would have produced about a billion threads describing the process of flying with firearms and ammo...

B yond
March 29, 2011, 11:47 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=can+i+take+ammo+on+a+plane%3F

oh, and kingpin, don't be a jerk... ;)

9mmepiphany
March 29, 2011, 11:57 PM
Take notice of the weight limit allowed for ammo and how it might affect the weight of your checked luggage. When I used to travel to teach, I used to buy ammo when I arrived or shipped it ahead

If you enjoyed reading about "Flying with Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!