First revolver question

PDA

gfpd707
March 30, 2011, 05:41 AM
I have purchased my first revolver a s&w 442. Is there any need to take of the side cover and lube the internals? Second question. I have tried to search but have come up empty. What should I lube on a enclosed hammer revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "First revolver question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LKB3rd
March 30, 2011, 08:48 AM
It is lubed at the factory. I clean and lube exposed moving parts, focusing on the cylinder area for most cleaning, and I drop a drop or two around the hammer. I also give a light coat of oil to all exposed metal, which I wipe down afterward. Especially if it is being stored for any length of time. You could give it a thorough cleaning, removing the side plate after shooting a lot (like a season), but it shouldn't need that too often.

jfh
March 30, 2011, 09:24 AM
No, there is no need to remove the side plate. And, any internal lubrication needed can be done with a simple drop or two of oil applied externally.

And, if curiosity simply gets the better of you, I suggest you search for videos on YouTube that show you the proper way to remove the side plate. I also suggest buying the Jerry Kuhnhausen 'Revolver' Book if you are interested in detail stripping, real or imagined gunsmithing needs, and so on.

Here (http://www.howtocleanthings.com/how-to-clean-a-revolver.htm) is a very simple (but satisfactory) link on cleaning a revolver.

Note that he does NOT include removing the crane / cylinder assembly. Because I shoot reloads, I do that nearly everytime I clean--some of my preferred loads are dirty, and the bores need special attention.

Jim H.

If you enjoyed reading about "First revolver question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!