CCW with green card?

PDA

jon86
March 30, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hello THR. My wife is not yet a US citizen. She does have her green card, and would like to apply for her CCW permit. :D We can't seem to find any info about whether she can get a permit or not or what steps need to be followed. It would be great if anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction. Also we live in Tennessee. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW with green card?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
March 30, 2011, 04:24 PM
http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/handgunfaqs.htm

jon86
March 30, 2011, 04:28 PM
Thank you Jorg!

Sebastian the Ibis
March 30, 2011, 08:34 PM
CCW's are issued by states. The federal government has the sole authority to regulate immigration and naturalization. States can almost never require US citizenship to do something since national origin is a protected class like being a woman, black or gay. Therefore your wife's ineligibility would not pass the constitutional smell test, if it was actually prohibited I'd call Alan Gura. Anyways, Jorg's answer was better.

hermannr
March 31, 2011, 01:32 AM
Tn says yes, a green card can obtain a concealed Carry permit. Every state has their own rules for concealed carry.

Here in WA they have a special alien permit, takes a little longer to get as they check with the home country as well as the national database.

rozziboy18
March 31, 2011, 01:41 AM
good ol tennessee! patriot state of shootin stuff! be shure to take the wife to the range once the paper work clears to celebrate! in acordance with tennessee tradition...oh yeah. GO VOLS!

Standing Wolf
March 31, 2011, 02:32 PM
Holding a green card qualifies one for CCW in Colorado.

docpadds
March 31, 2011, 04:21 PM
I had my CHL and even the FFL before i became a citizen :)

GRIZ22
March 31, 2011, 07:24 PM
The federal government has the sole authority to regulate immigration and naturalization.

And as a result there are things a green card holder needs to be aware of. Many, what would be considered minor crimes for a citizen, are deportable offenses. Any firearms violation is a deportable offense for a green card holder. See Title 8.

MD_Willington
March 31, 2011, 07:45 PM
hermannr

I have a green card and a CPL in WA, green card holders do not need to acquire a WA State Alien Firearms License, only non-immigrant aliens require the AFL.

I have several posts dealing with that past issue here on THR...
http://www.thehighroad.org/search.php?searchid=8667656

smalls
March 31, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have my green card,and my CPL is on its way here in MI! They had to do an extra international background check, though.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW with green card?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!