Stupid Moon Clip Question

PDA

460Kodiak
March 31, 2011, 06:19 PM
I know that a revolver cut for moon clips can still be loaded without them. However, does this in any way effect how the round sits in the cylinder? And if so, does this have any measurable effect on accuracy?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid Moon Clip Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Williams
March 31, 2011, 06:56 PM
No and No. The rear of the cylinder is cut to allow the moonclips to rest flush with the rear of the cylinder. The outside of the rim still rides on the outside of the cylinder and the cartridge is headspaced correctly by the moonclip.

460Kodiak
March 31, 2011, 09:04 PM
Ok, thanks. I have a Ruger SP101 for carry and home defense, but I'm thinking about picking up a S&W 686 or 627. I saw that the 627's use moon clips. I was just wondering, since it occured to me I've never fired a revolver that uses moon clips. Thanks again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupid Moon Clip Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!