An Excellent Article on CCW - From the ChiTrib

PDA

The_Shootist
April 1, 2011, 12:14 AM
I also posted this in a narrowly focused thread on the discussion regarding Illinois CCW - but its also relevant to the broader community:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...ns_109401.html

One of the most coherent articles on CCW I've seen.

ie : "The record of the past two decades demonstrates that you can strengthen the right of law-abiding adults to protect themselves against crime without making the world more dangerous. That knowledge is helpful in Illinois, to those willing to learn from experience."

If you enjoyed reading about "An Excellent Article on CCW - From the ChiTrib" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hypnogator
April 1, 2011, 12:32 AM
Got the dreaded 404 error! Check your link! :uhoh:

NavyLCDR
April 1, 2011, 12:42 AM
Try this:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/03/31/the_unconcealed_truth_about_carrying_guns_109401.html

I love this part:

Some of the killings weren't even done with firearms: Among the cases cited by the VPC is a 2008 strangling in Florida, allegedly by a man who was licensed to carry. How can strangulation be blamed on a concealed weapon permit? If a fisherman kills someone, do we ban fishing rods?

.... just like if someone shoots someone with a gun, maybe we should ban murder!

That's what the anti's can't wrap their inoperative brains around..... guns don't commit murder..... criminals do! We should ban criminals in society instead of guns!

matty-vb
April 1, 2011, 01:09 AM
great article. thank you. link posted on facebook account time now. got to get the word out! my anti-gun sister will have fits about this today! thanks!

kragluver
April 1, 2011, 09:17 AM
The anti gun establishment (IMO) is not about the guns - it's about government control. There has always been a segment in every society that believes Big Brother can do a better job collectively than the individual. It is really all about individual's rights. Unfortunately, while the example was a good argument, it's the same one we've put forth for years. The anti's won't change because they want control. Hopefully the argument will help convince the large number of folks who are in the middle and really haven't been paying much attention.

mnhntr
April 1, 2011, 01:41 PM
great article. thank you. link posted on facebook account time now. got to get the word out! my anti-gun sister will have fits about this today! thanks!
haha you must have the same liberal sister I do. I was thinking the exact same thing, here goes the facebook link.

threefeathers
April 1, 2011, 04:33 PM
a surprisingly good article from this organization.

mokin
April 1, 2011, 06:05 PM
A good article. It is interesting to me that Illinois is such a hold out when it comes to gun control. I can see the residents of Chicago having such control over the people elected to represent that state. Colorado is much the same way with the Boulder-Denver-Colorado Springs area controlling our politicians, but what makes them so anti-gun?

kragluver
April 1, 2011, 09:56 PM
I fear Texas could become the same way eventually. Austin is the one ultra-liberal spot in the state.

Deanimator
April 2, 2011, 10:38 AM
but what makes them so anti-gun?

One of the worst school systems in the nation. People simply never learn to think coherently, or to learn cause and effect relationships.
A near religious commitment to received "wisdom" from on high, be it mayor, alderman, minister or shop steward.
Utterly entrenched racism. Daley and company aren't afraid of guns, they're constantly surrounded by bodyguards with guns. They're afraid of BLACK people and MEXICANS with guns. In Chicago EVERYTHING is about race, and nothing so much so as guns.

Chicago is the way it is because people LIKE it that way.

cheygriz
April 2, 2011, 11:44 AM
Believe me, Chicago isn't the only city experiencing this particular phenomenon.

The Sullivan law in NYC was originally enacted to disarm Blacks and Peurto Ricans.

Denver's draconian gun control laws of the past were to disarm Hispanics and Indians.

And on, and on, and on.............:evil:

Carl N. Brown
April 7, 2011, 10:57 PM
Read the comments to this article about Chicago's Daley's recent remarks on the concealed carry proposal.

http://www.wbez.org/story/concealed-carry/daley-bashes-illinois-proposed-concealed-carry-law-84712#

Tom Arnold, "Daley bashes Illinois' proposed concealed carry law", WBEZ Chicago Public Media, 4 Apr 2011.

The readers' comments are the real pay-off.

Carl N. Brown
April 8, 2011, 06:56 AM
Follow the link, for the once again the comments from readers are the real pay off.

http://www.pjstar.com/free/x816852171/Ill-court-allows-nonresidents-to-transport-guns

Associated Press, "Ill. court allows nonresidents to transport guns", Peoria Journal Star, 7 Apr 2011.

In the case of People v. Holmes, in May 2005 Holmes from Indiana traveled into Illinois with a pistol in the armrest of his car. He had a valid Indiana carry permit. He was charged with felony violation for (a) no Illinois FOID and (b) gun not in case. In 2011, the Illinois Supreme Court ruled that Holmes' Indiana concealed carry permit served as a legal substitute for an Illinois FOID, and the closed backseat armrest served as a legal substitute for a gun case.

Again, follow the link, for the comments from readers are the real pay off.

SIDEBAR

I noticed the Illinois case was styled People v. Holmes a citation style also used in New York. You look at Tennessee State cases, eg Tennessee v. Garner, you quickly realize that in New York and Illinois, they have become accustomed to mentally substitute the concept State for the word People whereas most of us substitute Citizens for the word People. Perhaps this linguistic conditioning is responsible for the inability of Illinois and New York to read the Second Amendment "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" and comprehend that the people are the citizens, not the state. George Orwell was right in his theory about Newspeak in Nineteen Eighty-Four: control of the language used to express political ideas means control of politics and the control of people.

If you enjoyed reading about "An Excellent Article on CCW - From the ChiTrib" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!