What's Your Favorite Powder?

PDA

arcticap
April 1, 2011, 02:06 AM
...And the one that you usually buy? :rolleyes:

Reply if your favorite is homemade black powder!

If you enjoyed reading about "What's Your Favorite Powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Busyhands94
April 1, 2011, 02:22 AM
i wish homemade BP was on there. i like my homemade blackpowder more than anything else.

arcticap
April 1, 2011, 02:24 AM
I forgot to include home made black powder.

Oyeboten
April 1, 2011, 08:38 AM
My Black Powder shooting so far, has been entirely Revolver, and, with the use of 'GOEX', and, some 'DUPONT' from the early 1960s.

I sent off for some 'Swiss' but have not tried it yet.

So, I have no basis so far to have a favorite Powder.

My hunch though, is that I am going to really like the 'Swiss'.

I hope that those who reply in this Thread, who have experience with Home Made Black Powder, will elaborate a little about it, and, offer some comparisons to how it rates in relation to 'GOEX' or 'Swiss'...and in what application.

I see no reason why very good Black Powder could not be made at home...and, of course, the more info or testimonials, the more others may be correctly informed about it, and encouraged to make their own, safely and with good results.

Oh, I did try some 'Blackhorn' or whatever it was, since I had read it being touted.

It was anaemic and disappointing...and I saw no point in continueing with it.

alsaqr
April 1, 2011, 08:57 AM
i use Goex Pinnacle powder. Pinnacle was made by APP for Goex. It is more powerful than either APP or JSG. When Hodgdon powder bought out Goex, they stopped selling Pinnacle. i have several cases of 2F and 3F that was bought cheap at a clearance sale.

APP is now selling JSG Super Powder. A friend has tried it out and he says that it's 3F Pinnacle.

Fingers McGee
April 1, 2011, 01:10 PM
I have used GOEX for years; but, have been using Grafs lately cause I can pick it up at the store and it's cheaper than Goex. Have also tried KIK and Swiss and did not find either one lacking; but KIK isn't available now and Swiss costs more than Grafs.

Have used Pinnacle in my cartridges till they quit making it.

Yarddog
April 1, 2011, 02:02 PM
I don't shoot my Only BP rifle that much, A bottle of pyrodex RS Ibought 8 yrs ago is still
going. I shot 1 deer with it this past season ; )
Y/D

Busyhands94
April 1, 2011, 02:51 PM
i chose triple 7 because i have heard good things about it. however my homemade definitely is the best stuff i have tried. works for just about every purpose i could need a powder for.

Texas Moon
April 1, 2011, 03:48 PM
Voted for Goex.

No real reason except its the easiest for me to obtain.

NAA_Silent
April 1, 2011, 04:23 PM
777. American Pioneer goes soft to fast for me, and I can't get Goex to save my soul.

Oyeboten
April 1, 2011, 09:46 PM
Oh yes...

"777"

I like that one a lot...

I'd forgotten somehow...

scrat
April 1, 2011, 11:33 PM
Goex then 777

Hanshi
April 2, 2011, 02:18 AM
I've been using Goex for a good while and Dupont before that. I've even used some old Elephant black years ago. Next time I order powder I plan to get a few pounds of Jack's Battle Powder along with more Goes..

Shultzhaus
April 2, 2011, 07:58 AM
Goex for the flintlocks. 777 for the percussion, and the inline. Goex for the revolvers, and sometimes Pyrodex P. APP for the brass frame. Someone gave me a box of pellets, and I fired 2 rounds of a 50, and a 30 together, and put the box away. I'd really rather be able to measure my own loads.

Calibre44
April 2, 2011, 06:15 PM
Swiss No2

Mike OTDP
April 3, 2011, 08:13 PM
I'm shooting a mix. Goex 3F for musket and carbine, Swiss No. 2 (3F) for pistol...but I'm experimenting with Swiss No. 1, as the British are getting good results with it.

ontarget
April 3, 2011, 10:55 PM
Always had much better luck with GOEX than ANY of the subs in my percussion rifles, and also in my revolvers. Never tried Swiss or KIK.

Legionnaire
July 17, 2011, 04:24 PM
I'm a relative newbie, and have thus far only shot Goex. No complaints, and I plan to stick with it for the forseeable future.

frontiergander
July 17, 2011, 05:25 PM
Blackhorn209

Hagen442
July 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
APP

351 WINCHESTER
July 17, 2011, 09:38 PM
Decades ago I used black because that's all there was. I tried prodex when it came out, but found it just as dirty as black and at least as corrosive. I tried 777 and found it to be the best. Powerful and very clean.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
July 17, 2011, 10:18 PM
Curtis & Harvey shot more accurate in my old Ruger Old Army. I used 40 grs
behind a .465 ball. Won the Nationals in Tempory Master class with it in 1991
It was sold under Hodgdon name. Still have a couple cans. It's the only powder I shot in the late 60's and all though out the 70's. Won many a match
with that combo.

Kaeto
July 17, 2011, 11:44 PM
Goex for me.

zxcvbob
July 18, 2011, 12:00 AM
I have half a 1-pound can left of some old stuff I bought over 30 years ago; I think it might be DuPont but it could be Goex.

Mostly I shoot smokeless, but when I do shoot black it's usually my homemade powder.

darkerx
July 18, 2011, 07:04 PM
I use Swiss 1 (0.25/0.50mm for the size of the particles). Full loads only with .457 RB (either in walker 880 joules , rem58 8" 601 joules, rem58 carbine 18" 954 joules)... its clean, reliable, efficient, historic... I love it.

Maybe not the cheapest... (50$=1lbs where I live).

Foto Joe
July 18, 2011, 07:57 PM
It depends upon "What" I'm putting it in. For the front stuffers it's Goex all the way. It's realitively inexpensive and works great.

On the other hand, if I'm loading cartridges I like Swiss. Supposedly it's cleaner although I won't endorse or deny that claim. It is a just a little heavier and "I" think it's got a little more punch. If you can manage to compress, cram or pound 40gr into a 45 Colt cartridge and seat a 230gr LRN you've got a round that will make the most ardent Cowboy shooter cringe.

Mainly I use it for 45 Colt "Gallery Loads" and I think I'll stick with it.

Busyhands94
July 19, 2011, 09:02 PM
i found that Jim Shockey's will spark up just fine in my .50 flinter. it is what i use because i cannot find real BP in the ************ Republik. i will be making some real black powder soon. already made the softwood charcoal, and i already have plenty of sulfur. i like Triple Seven in my small handguns because of the power i can achieve. in my NAA .22 Magnum under some hollow point bullet i can blow soda cans filled with water to smithereens. this is magnified if you put an X on the front of the bullet with a razor blade! you can almost get the cans to split clean in half, and this is with a .22 Magnum equivalent cap and ball.

Jaymo
July 27, 2011, 08:49 PM
Goex, then Kik, because that's what I have. Also have Pyro P and RS. I like Holy Black better than unholy imitation.
I do plan on getting some 777 to try. Just for fun. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I'm perfectly happy with black.
I made a small batch of black once. It burned well, but slower than Goex. It worked fine as a propellant in my 42" flintlock barrel. Not worth a darn in the pan.
Someday I want to make some more. I like independence.

Voodoochile
July 28, 2011, 01:05 PM
Goex for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's Your Favorite Powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!