Alternative M1851 Grip Frames?


Colonel Gentlemen
April 1, 2011, 02:51 AM
I am looking for the grip frame type in the attachment, I know it is some derivative of the 'birds head'.
I have seen it on 1860(1) models, but when I try to find them via Google I can only seem to find them for later cartridge guns.
Any alternative grip frame information would be useful as well.

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Alternative M1851 Grip Frames?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
April 1, 2011, 03:26 AM
What kind of gun is it for?
Traditions/Pietta has a new special 1851 Colt model with birds head grips named the "Gold Rush" that's on sale for $369. I don't know if Traditions offers those grip frame parts.

Other folks have mentioned adapting a Thunderer grip frame to some cap & ball models but those usually require some modification if they can be made to fit all.
There are some Uberti & Pietta 1873 Thunderer grip assembly parts listed at VTI gun parts:

If the above link doesn't work then just type Thunderer in the VTI search box.

Colonel Gentlemen
April 1, 2011, 03:37 AM
It is a Pietta.

Colonel Gentlemen
April 1, 2011, 03:51 AM
Looks like the Thunderer grip frame is what I'm looking for.
I am not afraid of modification.
Arc; your second link is broken.

April 1, 2011, 03:56 AM
Some folks have simply tried to modify and reshape their own grip frame as best as they can by grinding, bending etc...
I haven't seen them able to take off enough material to make an exact copy, but they can make the grip somewhat smaller and more rounded.
Buying factory parts seems to be an expensive proposition without a guaranteed result.
That Pietta Gold Rush is a handsome model though.
Have you considered buying one of those? :)

Colonel Gentlemen
April 1, 2011, 04:01 AM
I probably could shape my current grip into a birds head, but I don't much like them.
It is very nice, but I just don't have the money at the moment, and if I did I'd probably buy a stock for my M1851 instead.

April 1, 2011, 04:07 AM
This will give you idea of how to proceed.

And photos on page 3 of this thread:

Colonel Gentlemen
April 1, 2011, 10:27 AM
Sent an E-mail to asking if they sold the gripframe and or stock for the Gold Rush separate and if it would require major modification to fit to a M1851.

April 1, 2011, 11:50 AM
I bought Thunderer gripframes from VTIgunparts. They are essentially bolt-on unless you really want a fitted flush fit. The little bit of edge I have doesn't bother me.

Though both barrels are 1851, the frames are 1851 and 1861. Both guns are Uberti, but the gripframe fit on a Pietta might not be as easy.

The conversion cylinders are R&D.

August 14, 2011, 11:58 PM
Here's the Uberti Thunderer grip frame link that was broken above:

If you enjoyed reading about "Alternative M1851 Grip Frames?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!