Browning HP in .45ACP?

PDA

mnealtx
January 9, 2004, 12:09 PM
Folks,

I have a coworker here that has a Browning High Power in .45ACP. The barrel is shot out and he is looking for a replacement barrel.

Does the hive mind know of anyplace where a replacement barrel could be found?

TIA for any help....

<edited to fix copy/paste screwup...thanks, Sean!>

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning HP in .45ACP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BryanP
January 9, 2004, 12:28 PM
Is it one of these? -

http://www.southernohiogun.com/new_hand.html

Scroll down to the bottom right-hand gun.

Geech
January 9, 2004, 12:29 PM
Er... This is a bit unrelated, but why would someone pick a .45 BHP over a 1911?

Sean Smith
January 9, 2004, 12:33 PM
I have a coworker here that has a Browning High Power in .45ACP.

Since there is no such gun... sorry, can't help you.

Does the Pistolsmith.com hive mind know of anyplace where a replacement barrel could be found?

Also, this ain't Pistolsmith.com. ;)

mnealtx
January 9, 2004, 12:36 PM
No, it's marked Browning High Power 45ACP on the slide, so I'm guessing it was manufactured that way. Based on the markings, he never questioned if it was a clone that was re-marked or not. He got it in a trade and has since put enough rounds through it to shoot out the barrel.

I remember reading something SOMEWHERE about a 45ACP BHP, but don't recall where. Heck, could've been over on TFL for all I can recall.

Regardless, any information on a replacement barrel is GREATLY appreciated....

CWatson
January 9, 2004, 12:43 PM
Is the gun the same one shown in the SOG ling above or not? If not is it a single or double action.Could you post a picture?CW

BryanP
January 9, 2004, 12:45 PM
I haven't seen one of the Hungarian pistols I pointed you to up close. It's possible they DO have " Browning High Power 45ACP" on the slide.

If you think it's a real Browning, call or email Browning (http://www.browning.com/contactus/index.asp) with the serial # and ask them about it. They may be able to help.

Sean Smith
January 9, 2004, 12:51 PM
Since the BHP design can't physically accomodate a .45 ACP cartridge, I don't see how it is physically possible that the gun in question is an actual BHP. NAA made some .45 caliber BHP-derived clone guns, but they weren't .45 ACP. Other .45 ACP BHP-like clone guns are presumably out there, but not genuine FN/Browning GP-35.

CWatson
January 9, 2004, 12:53 PM
If it is one of the FEG clones pictured in the SOG link they are decent guns.My brother had one years ago and it shot fine plus it used regular 1911 mags.If it is the FEG clone I have seen conplete uppers for them go for about $60 on Ebay.CW

mnealtx
January 9, 2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the info, guys.

*Pics*
No pics, sorry... gun is in North Carolina and we're in Kosovo.

*S/N check*
He's gonna call home and see if his wife can get the serial number for him.

Related question: Is there any information source that he could verify if it is a FEG pistol?

*Mags*
He says that the 1911 mags fit, but he has to file the mag catch slot a bit for it to lock in.

This is looking more and more like it may be one of the FEG's, from the info provided so far... anyone with info on a replacement barrel? I haven't found anything on Google for it so far.

Thanks again folks for all the help and info!

Sean Smith
January 9, 2004, 01:08 PM
He says that the 1911 mags fit, but he has to file the mag catch slot a bit for it to lock in.

BINGO. Definitely not a BHP. :)

mnealtx
January 9, 2004, 01:18 PM
Ok, we've verified that it's NOT a BHP, and most likely an FEG clone.

Anyone with any experience with FEG? Anyone know where a replacement barrel could be gotten from?

TIA for any further assistance...

BHPshooter
January 9, 2004, 02:08 PM
Yep, it's gotta be a FEG -- there's no such thing as a .45 BHP. FEG did make clones of a Smith and Wesson auto that they called the .45 Hi Power, but it ain't no BHP.

I'd suggest you call FEG, but I don't have their contact info, and I don't speak hungarian either. :uhoh:

Wes

BryanP
January 9, 2004, 02:13 PM
Although the auction is over I did see where someone was selling FEG .45 barrels on Auctionarms. (http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=5233596) There's contact information for the seller, including a web site. He might be able to sell you one direct or help you locate one.

blfuller
January 9, 2004, 04:30 PM
Mebbe its a Browning Double Action 45 (BDA45) AKA Sig P220?

Don Gwinn
January 9, 2004, 04:54 PM
As far as I know, the P220 won't accept 1911 mags (I've never tried it, just doesn't look like it would fit.)

Also, those guns weren't marked "High Power."

Sounds like it's definitely an FEG, but I don't know how to contact them either. Those FEG's, as someone mentioned, are similar to S&W pistols in some ways, but I don't know whether there might be a S&W barrel that could be modified to work.

mnealtx
January 10, 2004, 05:27 AM
Everyone,

Thanks for the information - I'll pass the auction information on and let him contact the person.

I really appreciate the help - once again showing the people here really ARE The High Road.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning HP in .45ACP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!