Age of S&W 38 Special

PDA

nsooakes1
April 2, 2011, 02:45 PM
I just purchased a S&W nickle placed 38 Special, Serial No. ADE8895 which was on the bottom of the gun handle. I purchased the gun for self-protection after a breakin. I am just curious to know its age.

If you enjoyed reading about "Age of S&W 38 Special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 2, 2011, 02:48 PM
ADE8895 would put it about Nov, 1983.

rc

nsooakes1
April 2, 2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks you so much for such a quick reply.

rcmodel
April 2, 2011, 03:45 PM
Open the cylinder and read the model number stamped inside the frame.

We might be able to tell you more.

rc

nsooakes1
April 4, 2011, 05:02 PM
Model 49

rcmodel
April 5, 2011, 12:26 PM
SO, it is a steel frame Bodyguard model.
The Airweight, alloy frame version is the Model 38.

The hammer is semi-covered by the frame hump-back to prevent snagging in a pocket.

rc

nsooakes1
April 6, 2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks again. I don't care much for the nickle plating--it shows every fingerprint. I am not familiar with guns at all, but was told this would be an easier gun to use. You have been very helpful and I do appreciate it.

pikid89
April 6, 2011, 05:17 PM
now get out there and shoot it, then shoot some more...then shoot it some more
the nickel should make it a bit easier to clean/wipe down...but dont use a particular nitro solvent...dont remember which one but you dont want it to peel the plating off
anyone remember???

Maj Dad
April 12, 2011, 10:06 PM
Many of the powder solvents are not for use on nickel. Hoppe's Nitro Powder Solvent, everyone's favorite solvent and after-shave is noted for its potential to damage nickel. I would use Breakfree CLP or a similar product, both for cleaning the bore & cylinder and for lubing/oiling. Slop it on, wipe it off.

If you enjoyed reading about "Age of S&W 38 Special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!