Browning Buck Mark vs Ruger 22

PDA

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 3, 2011, 12:51 PM
First of all, all I've done is target shooting with a Buck Mark (in the past was only rifles). My husband passed away, had several guns & I only kept his Buck Mark. I really liked it because of the green light at the end to help me zero in, easy to load, extremely accurate for me. I had only 1 complaint...it would not let me consistently shoot YellowJackets, or any high velocity bullet without jaming after about 10 bullets, then would shoot fine for another 10, then the next 10 it would jam...only the lowest velocity bullets would work consistently. My son-in-law works for the sheriff's dept & their guy took it apart & checked it & said it was fine, but it kept jaming on me. So sent it off to Browing & they said nothing wrong with it. There had to be something that was slightly off. At least I got through my class with it only jaming twice...that should have been a clue then.

My Buck Mark was stolen along with everything but the cleaning items. So I want to replace the gun. I want a .22 that's reliable as I use it for possible invasion at home.

I did go through the class, got my license to carry a gun, practiced at least once per month, etc. But otherwise, I'm not savy about guns. I did try two 9mm (one was the Glock 17) & it did not feel as comfortable, but ok, the bullets were harder to load & I was not as accurate (was told I was probably choaking up because of more kickback). So I decided to stay with a .22. However, the gun shop/target range lean towards a Glock 17 (I think because they have this one in stock-but they said they were both fine guns & basic difference is the width of the barrel). My concern is they don't have one for me to rent to try it out & once I buy it it's mine even if not used. Although on the 9mm Glock I liked the idea that when I put the gun in my hand the safety was off, & on the Browning Buck Mark I liked the green tip at the end of the barrell...made it easier for me to zero in (I never shot outside of the 9 range & mainly in the 10 range with quite a few bullseyes). Also, I don't want to spend a fortune paying for add-ons.

Can anyone give me all the pros & cons, for a female, who will not totally take a gun apart to clean (if that has to be done I'll have a professional do it) but will clean the barrel/chamber/etc. every time after I shoot, & hopefully the easiest to handle & most accurate. If I can only use the low velocity bullets I realize if someone breaks in I would have to shoot until the magazine is empty (& that makes me cringe).

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Buck Mark vs Ruger 22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
buck460XVR
April 3, 2011, 01:37 PM
Most .22 autoloaders are ammo sensitive. I personally have never had luck with Yellowjackets in any of my autoloaders including my 10/22 Ruger rifle. Both the Browning and the Ruger are fine, reliable guns. Preference is not really mechanical, but personal(as in sights, grip angle, etc.). Rugers are said to be a tad more difficult to take down and reassemble than the Brownings. Since you don't intend to take the gun down, this is a moot point for you. Both my sons have Browning Buckmarks and have had very few jams. Those that were were generally with a certain type of ammo. Their guns seem to prefer Federal or Aguila. Whatever your choice, I suggest you try different brands/types of ammo till you find which one your gun likes and stay with it.

BrainOnSigs
April 3, 2011, 02:00 PM
The one thing I can say about both of my Ruger MKIIs is that they have never choked on any .22LR ammo I have fed them. Bulk ammo, target ammo, hunting ammo, cheap ammo, pricey ammo.....doesn't matter....bang every time.

jmr40
April 3, 2011, 02:04 PM
Sounds like you are already used to the Browning and are confident with it. I've owned both and consider them to be equals in performance. It really comes down to the features you like on each. I slightly prefer the Ruger, but would advise you to stay with the Browning since you are already familiar with it.

DammitBoy
April 3, 2011, 02:04 PM
Neither of my Rugers - MKII and a MKIII have ever had a problem with any kind of ammo.

I've never seen a Buckmark that did not jam.

Gottahaveone
April 3, 2011, 02:24 PM

Here, let me remedy that for you. I'm well past the 4000 round count and it's never once failed to feed, fire, or eject anything I've ever put thru it.

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 3, 2011, 02:29 PM
Thank you everyone. Now am a little confused. 1) Use Buck Mark because I'm familiar with it 2) Buck Mark can be ammo sensitive try different brands 3) Never a problem with ammo with a Ruger. WOW! I think I need to find someone that has a Ruger that they'll let me try. If it's not comfortable then I guess the Buck Mark & keep trying different brands of ammo. Does that basically sum it up?

KodiakBeer
April 3, 2011, 02:29 PM
I prefer the Buckmark, but the Ruger .22/45 will have the same grip angle, controls and "feel" as the Buckmark, so you won't have to relearn anything.

You can't go wrong with either pistol, in my opinion.

Gottahaveone
April 3, 2011, 02:30 PM
I understand you wanting to stay with a .22. Have you considered one of the 9 shot .22 revolvers? It's only 1 less round and they are for the most part more reliable than any of the autoloaders. The down side is that the DA trigger pull is a bit more difficult to pull but if you are OK with that then they are sure worth a look.
Good luck with whatever you decide....
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=625&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

jfrey
April 3, 2011, 02:33 PM
My Buck Mark loves the CCI Blazer ammo ans Federal Champion. It will choke on the cheap Remington stuff and most standard velocity ammo. Mine just likes the hotter ammo and functions flawlessly on it. There was definately a problem with your pistol that caused the jams, even though other folks couldn't find it, it was there.

Unlike Dammitboy, I've seen lots of Rugers jam on certain brands of ammo. A friend has an expensive model that jams on EVERY mag and, like your experience, Ruger pronounced it good to go like it is. The triggers on BM's are a lot better than Rugers too.

Just depends on what suits you. If you liked the BM, get another one and be happy.

KodiakBeer
April 3, 2011, 02:42 PM
.22 autos are very simple arms that operate on a blow back principle. In short, it's a balance of the recoil force against the mass of the slide and strength of the springs.

Too little recoil (low powered ammo) may not send the slide back far enough to reliably feed the next round.
If you have too much recoil (high powered ammo) it may send the slide back too quickly to allow the next round to feed up from the magazine.

So, the problem with your Buckmark and the YellowJackets was probably not with the firearm at all, you simply needed a stronger spring in the magazine (yes, they wear out over time). A stronger magazine spring would have allowed your next cartridge to snap into place quickly enough to feed reliably.

You shouldn't have that problem with a new Buckmark and new magazine. But, in any case the Ruger .22/45 will have the same controls and lay out as the Buckmark, and either pistol should serve you just fine.

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 3, 2011, 02:51 PM
OH thank all of you so much. I do have a problem with what I call a double action triger & if the Ruger has that then it would take time & more practice to get use to it. But the spring comment interests me - I had no idea. For about 6 months I had very little jams, then it was consistent. I am so glad to know about this as it could have saved me a lot of wondering if to every get a Buck Mark again.

(I've learned one thing...never have your house remodeled & have you gun locked up in anything that's movable & only locked with a store bought lock that you may have forgotten to lock when you got up that morning. One person can't watch everybody. But at least I had the serial number & was able to report it to the police.)

harmon rabb
April 3, 2011, 02:52 PM
I'll this for my Ruger 22/45 -- it eats anything. I buy whatever brick of ammo is the cheapest. It's had all sorts of stuff run through it without issue.

45Fan
April 3, 2011, 02:57 PM
My wife shoots her buckmark regularly with federal bulk ammo. It will fail to eject on occasion, but usually only if its been through several magazines without any cleaning. For hunting small game she uses CCI velocitor, and has yet to have any issues with function with that ammo.

RidgwayCO
April 3, 2011, 03:12 PM
My Buckmarks (both of them) were 100% reliable with Federal 550-round (or 375-round, same cartridge) bulk-pack ammo found at Wal-Mart. I sold one to finance another purchase, and my oldest daughter and her husband have claimed the second.

Dudemeister
April 3, 2011, 03:19 PM
I've previously owned a Rugger MK.II, and while it was a very good gun, it did have it's preferences for certain brands of ammo, especially CCI.

I've also owned a Buckmark for at least 25 years, and I've put probably 10K+ rounds through it. I can probably count the failures to extract or feed on one hand. I honestly don't remember when I had my last failure.

I used to feed it a steady diet of bulk ammo made in the Philipines (I had a case of 10K rounds), and when that ran out, I bought Federals in bulk and now Winchester SuperX bulk stuff.

I think I've taken the gun apart maybe 3 times during it's life. I usually just clean the barrel, the battery area, and lubricate the slide, maybe a drop of oil in the firing pin and the extractor claw area, and the occasional drop of oil around the trigger. The only modifications the gun ever got was a new pair of grips this past year. Oh yeah, and it still looks like new !

http://digistealth.com/Public/Guns/Buckmark/Buck-grips_sm.jpg (http://digistealth.com/Public/Guns/Buckmark/Buck-grips.jpg)

The BuckMark is the most reliable, accurate, and probably the best gun I own, with the possible exception of my .38spl Colt Officers Model Match.

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 3, 2011, 03:46 PM
Nice BM. Mine didn't even have a scratch on it & looked good as new, but my husband bought it May '09, exactly 1 mo. before his demise & he said it was a fun gun to shoot. I wish I still had it as he shot every day 27 days (4 days in hospital=31). It's wonderful everyone wants to help me, I feel honored. Thanks again everyone. And keep in mind, I'm completely open when it comes to suggestions (son-in-law works to many hrs & has his own family & kids in sports so he can't help much, so it leaves me to learn & know what I need to know about the 22s)

IMTHDUKE
April 3, 2011, 04:01 PM
I just picked up this one with threaded barrel. Put about 100rds down range so far and am very pleased with it.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/BUCKMARK.jpg

Not sure I would want to use it for HD....maybe one of these....my wife has no problem with the recoil.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/P30.jpg

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 3, 2011, 04:13 PM
Is the HK as easy to load as the BM? I was told the palm size had lots of recoil & yet you say your wife has no problem with that. I also have extremely weak wrists & can't pull a strong slider back, is this one about as easy as a BM? Using a 9mm if I needed it for self defense would mean not shooting as many bullets - but I have to be able to handle it easy especially under pressure if someone was breaking in my house.

Ala Dan
April 3, 2011, 04:23 PM
Both are great guns, but after owning a Ruger MK-II KMK-512, I decided upon
a Browning BuckMark; cuz its much easier to clean. The Ruger is a PIA to put
back together, after field stripping~! :uhoh: :eek: ;)

IMTHDUKE
April 3, 2011, 04:23 PM
The one I posted has the medium backstrap and side panels....it has smaller ones.

It's not as easy to rack the slide as BM, although my wife who is not a super woman can do it. But with the first mag, you got 16 rds of 9mm read to go to the target.

Same adage....best thing to do is handle one or any gun you decide on.

KodiakBeer
April 3, 2011, 04:30 PM
A 9mm is going to take at least 15 to 18 pounds of pressure to retract the slide, since that it is the strength of the recoil spring holding the slide forward.

A locked breech .380 will have lighter springs, but the slide is smaller and more difficult to operate.

You might also want to consider something like a Ruger 10/22 rifle which is very light and compact. A .22 isn't an ideal defense weapon, but with this rifle you can also get an extended magazine holding 30 rounds. 30 rounds of .22 will discourage any intruder!

45Fan
April 3, 2011, 08:11 PM
A locked breech .380, such as the Walther PK380, would definatly be a bit easier to rack the slide on. Something to consider, too, is that the buck mark slide is a little different in how it is gripped to rack its slide. My full size 1911 is easier for me to grasp and rack the slide on than that of the buckmark, so really, it would be best to keep an open mind about the gun design, and handle as many as you can before making a desicion.
The buck mark in 22LR would be better than nothing, but if you are interested in personal defense, and open to other calibers, there are many choices that would be better suited to your purpose. The most important part is making sure that you are comfortable with whatever you decide on, and practice.

ohwell
April 3, 2011, 08:44 PM
If your Buckmark is anything like mine try a drop of oil on each side of the slide mine tends to run better when its properly lubed.

Dudemeister
April 3, 2011, 09:46 PM
Is the HK as easy to load as the BM? I was told the palm size had lots of recoil & yet you say your wife has no problem with that. I also have extremely weak wrists & can't pull a strong slider back, is this one about as easy as a BM? Using a 9mm if I needed it for self defense would mean not shooting as many bullets - but I have to be able to handle it easy especially under pressure if someone was breaking in my house.
If you do decide on a 9mm, here are a couple of things to consider.

1. Loading the mag. Don't kill your thumbs, use a magazine loading tool. I use the UpLula loader. It's very easy to use and saves your thumb, especially for that last round which is usually a pain to force in.

2. Racking the slide. I don't know how you do it, but I see lots of people at the range fulling the slide back with their fingers, sometime holding the gun with their weak hand and pulling with their strong hand. I think that's the hard way. Hold gun in your strong hand (right, left, whichever), then grab the slide with your other hand over the top (the palm of your hand is on top of the slide, and your thumb and fingers are on the side), then "push" the slide back. You will have much better leverage and it will be a lot easier to rack. If your pistol has a exposed hammer, you could also cock the hammer first, before racking the slide, just make sure you have the safety on, and your finger off the trigger.

RidgwayCO
April 3, 2011, 09:48 PM
As another suggestion, you might try to locate a Beretta 86 in .380 Auto. They're not in production any longer, but can be found on GunsAmerica and GunGroker from time to time.

The Beretta 86 doesn't require you to rack the slide, as it has a "tip up" barrel. You load your magazine full (8 rounds) and insert it into the magazine well. Then you rotate a small lever that allows the barrel to "tip up." Now just load a round directly into the chamber, lower the barrel and move the lever to the locked position. You're now ready to fire. Ingenious. I've got one that I don't use very much, as I'm saving it for when my arthritis gets too bad. Just another thing to consider...

DammitBoy
April 3, 2011, 09:57 PM
I'd say her best bet would be a revolver in 38 for home defense. My wife and daughter have stolen both my Ruger SP101's with the original small factory rubber grip. It's a 357 - but it can still be used with 38's.

wrench
April 3, 2011, 10:33 PM
happygrandparent, are you going to carry the pistol, or is it just for home defense?
If for the house only, maybe consider a long gun instead of a pistol. A 20g shotgun, or a 9mm carbine would have considerably more power than a pistol, yet still be relatively easy to shoot with your stated limitations.
Just a thought, good luck in your quest.

22-rimfire
April 3, 2011, 10:53 PM
I don't think I have ever had a 22 semi-auto pistol that didn't jam occasionally. I do like the Ruger Mark II with the 5.5" bull barrel. But if you are used to the Buckmark, you would probably like the Ruger 45/22 better, but at least look at the 5" heavy barrel version. Nothing at all wrong with Browning Buckmarks. I just don't own one.

If simply getting a gun for home defense, if I were you I would consider something along the lines of a Ruger GP-100 or SP-101 and shoot 38spl's out of either. Recoil won't be significant and will be less with the GP-100 as it is a heavier revolver. I do like the Smith 642/442 38's but recoil they do even in 38spl. One of the reasons I like them is that they force me to shoot them double action. I need to shoot more in double action in general.

Good luck with your hunt.

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 4, 2011, 12:28 AM
I know absolutely nothing wabout a Walther PK 380 (will search about it) & no one's suggested it. I have no problem loading the BM, but the two 9mm's I tried I had to turn it sideways & push with my gun hand. But it worked OK just wasn't what I'm use to.

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 4, 2011, 12:31 AM
Since I will buy only from a gunsmith I'm not sure if I'd be able to take advantage of Ruger SP101. Thanks for the suggestion

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 4, 2011, 12:34 AM
Oil in BM slide - done that - didn't help. I think maybe the person that suggested changing the spring may have been correct. Everyone I did talk to I tried doing what they suggeted & nothing worked.

Smaug
April 4, 2011, 12:42 AM
First off, sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.

Second, sorry to hear about the loss of your Buck Mark.

We have both the Buck Mark and a Ruger Mk. II. She picked the Buck Mark for herself, better grip. (the new one with the finger groove grips) I have to say that it is not as reliable as the Ruger. The Ruger is not ammo sensitive. Sometimes, the Buck Mark doesn't feed a round, but there's no sigh of it until you pull the trigger and get a *click*. Rack the bolt, and no round comes out. :cuss:

But to be fair, it is brand new. Probably only has a couple hundred rounds through it.

Even so, I'd get a Ruger Mk. II used, or a Ruger Mk. III.

Lots of people clean them without taking them apart, with Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber. (which is exactly the same thing is automotive brake cleaner, but at about 10X the price, by the way) If you could handle that and running a solvent-soaked patch down the barrel, you'd be OK for a good while.

I also like how the barrel and receiver are one integral piece, and the circular receiver is elegant too.

The grip in the Buck Mark Contour is a little nicer. The trigger is a tad better too, and there's a bit less recoil as well.

But it sounds like you'll be ready to stake your life on this gun, so I'd go with the Ruger and some Remington Viper ammo. That's the hyper velocity flat point ammo.

By the way, my wife has a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm. Since it is a full size gun, it doesn't kick much for a 9 mm. Still 3X as much as a .22, but not bad at all. She decided, like you, that she is just so much more comfortable with a .22, she had to get one and would depend on that instead. She may make her way back to the Hi-Power eventually, but if not, she's got her Buck Mark.

I bet if you post your location, some nice person here would take you under his wing; maybe even someone with both guns, and you could try them back to back!

22-rimfire
April 4, 2011, 12:42 AM
Since I will buy only from a gunsmith

You mean "gunshop" right? The Ruger SP-101 and the GP-100 are currently manufactured and sold retail. The Ruger SP-101 in 22LR was discontinued. If you would consider a 22 revolver as a possible choice, look at the Smith & Wesson 3" Model 63 which is an 8-shot. If for some reason you have a misfire, you simply pull the trigger again.

WhiteT
April 4, 2011, 01:11 AM
if you end up with the ruger or browning you might take a look at one of these.............it makes loading the magazines much easier

http://www.mcfaden.com/cliploader.html

GLOOB
April 4, 2011, 01:42 AM
I have the Ruger, so I'm biased. The Browning looks to have the better grip and is said to have a better trigger. So if practical accuracy is your thing, then give it a whirl. That said, I have no practical use for a .22 LR. So the Ruger won me over with its Star Wars looks and solid-block-o-steel indestructibility. I have to say the grip is a little too round and short, front-to-back, for my liking. But then I've never needed it to hit anything more important than a tin can.

+1 on the McFadden. It efficiently turns bulk value boxes of ammo into fun.

HGM22
April 4, 2011, 03:24 AM
I know you don't have the BM anymore, but the jams could have been magazine related, not the gun's fault. If you get a magazine-fed weapon in the future, make sure to pay attention to the magazines and if any is just not working.

That being said, I think you should go with a revolver if you struggle at all pulling back the slide. Additionally, these weapons are very simple to use. I would get a few speed loaders so that you can reload the weapon quickly.

You'd probably be best with a .357 Magnum revolver loaded with .38 Special, a .38 Special revolver, or possibly a .327 Federal revolver (I'd consider the .357 or .38 first). I'm not sure if you are aware, but .38 Special ammo can be used in a .357 Mag revolver; this is helpful not only because of versatility, but because the .357 revolver will be heavier built, and thus will have less recoil shooting .38 than a .38 revolver would shooting the same ammo. Just be sure to clean chambers of the .357 regularly to avoid build up of a lead "ring" when using .38s.

If you want to conceal carry I'd recommend something like the Ruger LCR or Smith and Wesson 442 (blued) or 642 (stainless steel). These are revolvers where the hammer is inside the gun and can't be caught or snagged on clothing. In fact, you could even fire the weapon while its still in your pocket.

That being said, if you still want to go with a .22 (I would not unless nothing bigger works i.e. can't fire accurately) then I'd again suggest a revolver over an auto like the Browning BM or Ruger. This is because .22 rimfire ammo, like all rimfire ammo, is not as reliable as centerfire ammo. This being the case, you are more likely to have an auto fail to function. A revolver on the other hand, you just squeeze the trigger again. I should remind you here that if you do get a round that seems very weak on either platform that you should check the barrel with a cleaning rod/dowel to make sure it is not lodged in the barrel (making sure the weapon is safe before you do so).

Oh, and if you'd like get both a .22 and something bigger; use the .22 for cheap practice/target shooting and the bigger gun for defense. If you get similar platforms your practice with the .22 will carry over to the larger caliber weapon, though you should still practice with both.

Pilot
April 4, 2011, 08:09 AM
With quality .22 LR rimfire ammo, I think the reliablility is fine for home defense. My FOUR Ruger MK II's feed, fucntion and shoot almost all .22 LR's fine. CCI Minimags have never failed for me. They only ammo they have problems with are cheap Remington Thunderbolts. If you stick to CCI Minimags a .22LR like a Ruger MK II will work. MY wife keeps a Ruger 22/45 (MK II generation) as her HD gun. She practices withit and can hit where she aims. Its just what she is comfortable with and will shoot, period.

I also would recommend a .22LR revolver like a Smith and Wesson 617.

btg3
April 4, 2011, 08:23 AM
2. Racking the slide. ... . Hold gun in your strong hand (right, left, whichever), then grab the slide with your other hand over the top (the palm of your hand is on top of the slide, and your thumb and fingers are on the side), then "push" the slide back. You will have much better leverage and it will be a lot easier to rack.

If you wrap your hand over the top of the slide, do not cover the ejection port. Typically, this means your thumb should be behind the slide, rather than on the slide. Photos and further explanation in this link, along with anlternate techniques, from a woman's perspective.
http://www.corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 4, 2011, 08:48 AM
Anyone in Jackson, TN that wants to help would be appreciated. Would meet you at the Great Outdoor store's target range.

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 4, 2011, 08:49 AM
Bought 3 extra magazines & gun still jamed

btg3
April 4, 2011, 11:00 AM
The magazine may be the cause, and pehaps was the quickest thing to investigate. But now that you've ruled that out, something else needs to be considered.

I suggest re-reading the comments on springs and determining a course of action to get that base covered. If you intend to shoot heavy and standard loads, you might want to get more than one spring. To get back to square-one, I would start with a new standard spring and standard load ammo. If that checks out, then see whether you can change springs to suit the heavier load ammo, if desired.

osteodoc08
April 4, 2011, 04:52 PM
First of all, welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about the death of your husband and the loss of your buckmark and the sentimental loss as well.

To answer your question, it seems that you are very comfortable with the buckmark and are familiar with it. If one must pick a 22lr for home defense, a buckmark should do just fine. Personally I would try to steer you towards something with a little more oomph behind it....9mm would suffice. There is nothing wrong with the Glock you were looking at, but it does sound like something that you would need to practice with. Also, not sure how well a buckmark would be at concealed carry since you mentioned you had your CC permit.

wally
April 4, 2011, 09:08 PM
We've got five Ruger .22 pistols and only the old MKI can match our Buckmark in reliability with cheap bulk pack ammo. The 22/45, MkII & MK III Rugers average one stovepipe about every 250-300 rounds, the Buckmark maybe one per 1000, if that. And the Ruger stovepies are usually much harder to clear requiring the mag be removed because they wedge between the guide rod and the partially fed round.

The Buckmark is by far my Wife's favorite, although she does almost as well with the Ruger's if she doesn't get frustrated with the stovepipes.

I don't think any .22lr pistol should be considered for CCW, but as night stand gun, hits with a .22 are way better than misses with a .45, especially since you've got to worry where the misses end up. Unlike the police, you are very unlikely to need your CCW with bystanders in the area.

ZeSpectre
April 4, 2011, 09:15 PM
Comments on a Ruger MK III vs Browning Buckmark

I have decided to condense my comments into one post because the topic of choosing a Ruger vs a Browning comes up repeatedly.

I have owned both Ruger and Browning .22 pistols and consider them both to be fine firearms but they definitely have some differences.

Accuracy – It’s a wash. I’ve shot several (stock) models of both types and all were pretty much equal in accuracy. The design of the Browning lets you swap out to a different grade barrel whereas the Ruger barrel/chamber is swapped out as one piece but either is a simple process so I consider that a wash as well.

Reliability – Ruger does it’s typical overengineering (built like a tank) while Browning has what appear to be some lighter duty parts. In practical use I haven’t seen any difference as all of the models I’ve ever used, of either brand, functioned well so this is a draw.

Cleaning – Ruger and Browning are at opposite ends of the spectrum here. The Ruger is definitely designed to be “field stripped” for regular cleaning (though I consider the process a royal pain) whereas the Browning has no “field strip” but has an “open” chamber that is easily scrubbed down with a toothbrush and then a quick swab down the bore. In my opinion this makes the regular post range-trip cleaning easier on the Browning, however it does make things quite a bit more complicated if the Browning does need a serious cleaning because then you have to actually disassemble (not just “field strip”) the Browning.

In practical terms I still vote for the Browning because my experience has been that, due to the overall design, I almost never have to actually go so far as to disassemble the gun though I will say that if you do have to disassemble there are a lot of loose parts and it’s a real hassle.

Trigger and general design - Here’s where we get into the serious design commentary. Out of the box most Ruger 22 pistols have an “okay” trigger. If you put a Volquartsen trigger kit into it you will have an AWESOME trigger, but then you are also adding another $110.00 to the cost of the gun. Nearly every Browning I have owned has a trigger –at least- as good as the Volquartsen right out of the box.

Another problem I have with the Ruger design is that it actually seems to funnel crap from the chamber right down into the trigger assembly whereas the Buckmark design separates the trigger mechanisms from the chamber crud so it stays clean and crisp far longer between cleanings.

Additionally, I hate the Ruger's slide lock with a purple passion but that's because I'm a lefty and that slide release lever is in the worst place for me (not to mention that you can’t just “slingshot” a Ruger.

Accessories – Another wash. There are so many accessories and mods for either gun you can pretty much build anything you can imagine.

Don’t misunderstand me, the Ruger is a fine pistol and buying one would not be a mistake, but overall I’ll take the Browning.

Also see this post: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3647117&postcount=16

RH45
April 4, 2011, 09:59 PM
As far as handguns go, what works for one person, may not work well for the next. People have different size hands, strength, ect..:banghead:

If you post where your located, I'm sure that if someone here is nearby, they'd help you out by letting you try their guns.:rolleyes:

BLB68
April 4, 2011, 11:48 PM
She posted her location, in post number 40. =)

Another gun worth checking out (if you decide to go with a slightly larger caliber) is the Bersa Thunder 380. These are reportedly very mild in recoil. They have an excellent reputation for reliability and the Walther PP series design is inherently accurate. If you have a chance to shoot one via rental or loan, you might want to give it a try. Bersa also makes a .22 LR with the same design. The .22 is often found sold under the Firestorm name, well, when it's found. The 22s tend to be hard to come by.

As to the Buckmark, have you tried calling Browning about the issue? They may have some ideas of things you can check out, or they may be able to service it.

RH45
April 5, 2011, 09:47 PM
I missed that. If she was anywhere close, I'd help, but, I'm up in central Wisconsin.

Squidward
April 6, 2011, 01:46 AM
I don't mean to complicate matters but have you considered a .22 revolver?
It loads easy. I think round count runs from 6 to 10 rounds depending upon mfgr. Easy to clean. And if there is a failure to fire, pull the trigger again. And good luck..

exavid
April 6, 2011, 02:49 AM
I used to have a MkII and now have a Buckmark, the low priced one with the round black barrel and rubber grip. Mine also has the fiber optic front sight. I really like this little pistol and have fired at least 2500 rounds through it in the past three months. The trigger is excellent, and the pistol accurate. On a 50' slow fire target it's not hard to keep all the holes in the black. I've had almost perfect reliability and very few failures to function at all. My MkII was about the same but not as accurate to shoot as the Browning. To each his own, I like the grip and the grip angle of the Browning better and the balance feels better than my old Ruger. Mostly due to the heavier barrel compared to the thin lighter barrel of the Ruger. Either .22 is a great pistol I don't see how one could go wrong either way.

verge
April 6, 2011, 03:06 PM
Neither of my Rugers - MKII and a MKIII have ever had a problem with any kind of ammo.

Come visit me in Texas and I'll show you one. Never jammed with any ammo or any shooter. My 10 yo son and 9 yo daughter can go through a box of 500 bulk at a single sitting and never a problem.

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 6, 2011, 07:50 PM
It looks like everyone is saying the Buck Mark is the easiest to handle & clean & accuracy. It's main draw back is that it has a tendency to be ammo touchy. So I guess it's a trade off on comfort for me (use to a BM & love the feel of the gun) or a Ruger & not worry about jams. I guess it's a matter of just making up my mind. But the other brand of guns interested me too & have looked them up on the internet. Unfortunately, in this city I won't be able to handle & get to feel of how each one feels in my hands, balance, etc. Thanks everyone. (No more relatives in TX so don't believe I'll be in that state - too bad, would love to try a Ruger & be able to shoot a couple of rounds).

jmr40
April 6, 2011, 08:00 PM
Sometimes someone has a bad experience with a particular gun and can't understand that their experience was very much the exception. There have been folks on here claiming problems with both brands. I believe them. But there have been an awful lot of both guns sold, I've shot many examples of both. After all is said and done both guns are usually very reliable and are in reality equal in that regard.

You really can't go wrong with either, if you have a problem with either it would be the exception. Buy the one you are most comfortable with. I kept the Ruger mainly because Browning did not offer stainless at the time. Not sure if they do now or not. I'd recommend Browning to you simply because you are already used to it.

BLB68
April 6, 2011, 08:41 PM
They do have stainless Buckmarks now. I've been eyeing the stainless camper with the URX grips and fiber sights.

HAPPYGRANDPARENT
April 6, 2011, 09:22 PM
I liked mine, all blued as it idin't show the fingerprints - I'm picky about cleanliness to a fault. Thanks.

DammitBoy
April 6, 2011, 09:28 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5066/5596782478_7dbaef1778.jpg

I love my Ruger MKIII

bird466
November 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
It's been 604 days since the last post. But that doesn't change the fact that I need some help on my "fun factor" level for my Browning Buckmark.

I have been churning through the forums trying to find possible solutions for my Buckmark Camper's FTE problem. While doing so, I came across the Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor. Unfortunately, I didn't notice at the time of purchase that all the positive results from this upgrade (that I saw on the forums) were geared toward the Buckmark Camper's rival .22 (the Ruger MKII/MKIII).

So my question is... Although the extractors are slightly different in design (the Buckmark has a unique notch in the inside "flat" section of the extractor whereas the Ruger's is just flat), do you suppose the Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor can work in a Buckmark Camper?

In advance, I appreciate you taking the time to answer this wildly ignorant question. But alas, it must be asked nonetheless.

Johnny Lightning
November 30, 2012, 07:55 PM
Ford vs Chevy debate. Get what feels best in your hand.

exavid
November 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
I rarely get any problems with my two Buckmarks. I use them for Bullseye shooting so more than 5000 rounds go through the two guns in a year. Keeping the guns clean is important to avoid FTEs or FTFs. Neither gun seems to be choosy in ammo. I use Federal Target Grade .22LR ammo for my target shooting. I also spray a light mist of Remoil in the box of .22s while stirring them around a bit in the box. Not really enough to see, just a real light mist coat. That helps prevent problems as the gun becomes a bit dirty from use when shooting a lot of ammo.
I switched from a MKII to the Buckmark because of the Buckmark's superior trigger. I did the Heggis flip on the sear spring which reduced the trigger pull from about 5.5lbs to 2.0lbs. That might be a bit light for a plinker though not for target work. One dislike I have with the Buckmark is the need to take the top rail off the pistol to do a complete cleaning which means re-zeroing the red dot.

Kiln
November 30, 2012, 10:03 PM
I have the Ruger MK3 Target and have yet to unjam it one time. The only issue I have had was with some cheap ammo not firing, the strikes were good but the ammo wasn't.

I clean my Ruger by taking off the grips and hosing it out with gunscrubber. It is an easy way to clean and gets all the gunk out of the gun too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Buck Mark vs Ruger 22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!