HELP! Bullet Lodged

PDA

tnieto2004
April 3, 2011, 06:06 PM
I was firing my S&W 642 yesterday. I was shooting reloads- on the first round of the second 5-shots- little recoil and I felt powder burning my hands. The bullet lodged in the barrel (almost exactly in middle).

The strange part to me was when I realized what happened and popped the brass out- there was powder stuck to the outside of the brass- a good amount. I know there was powder in the casing but I have no clue how the powder became stuck to the outside and what caused the stock bullet. The loads were mid-range. I know there was not much crimp on these loads and I am wondering if that may be a reason.

I also found that the pistol has some strange marks on the frame of my revolver now. Any idea how these marks might have come about?
http://i51.tinypic.com/2dtq0wo.jpg

I tapped out the bullet but still have no clue how this all happened???

If you enjoyed reading about "HELP! Bullet Lodged" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quoheleth
April 3, 2011, 06:17 PM
As to what caused it, a severe undercharge, a fowled charge, or a partially blocked primer hole maybe. Either way, it was 99% loader-error. I give a 1% chance of bad powder, rounded up to the nearest whole percentage point. Lesson learned in shooting someone elses' reloads - or if it was your loads, lesson learned about double checking processes.

Other than the Hillary Hole, I'm not sure of the strange marking you refer to :evil:

Q

tnieto2004
April 3, 2011, 06:44 PM
The two marks on the frame right under the cylinder at the front and back. It looks like something rubbed and dug into the frame, but I can't replicate it.....

Cosmoline
April 3, 2011, 07:14 PM
Hard to tell but are you finding your cylinder is rubbing in those spots when you rotate it out?

tnieto2004
April 3, 2011, 07:17 PM
Nope, I can't make it rub on the front at all. The back, the rim on the bullets will rub just a bit, especially when closing and rotating.

Cosmoline
April 3, 2011, 11:11 PM
It would probably be sloppy milling then on S&W's part.

tnieto2004
April 4, 2011, 08:34 PM
You Think it is safe to fire?

billybob44
April 4, 2011, 09:07 PM
You Think it is safe to fire?
As long as you have removed the stuck bullet-shoot away..Bill.

If you enjoyed reading about "HELP! Bullet Lodged" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!