S&W Model 10 Post war

PDA

ohio58
April 4, 2011, 02:50 PM
I have a chance to get a hold of a Smith and Wesson Model 10 post war , I believe is around (Circa: 1948-1949) Its a snubnose and nickel. The thing is , im not sure about is the gold hammer & trigger. I dont believe Smith and Wesson ever used gold on there guns. This revolver has been in a collection for over 40 years. The current owner doesnt know either. If its not factory, why would someone put on a gold trigger & Hammer, or was this a common thing to do way back when ? or maybe just a custom thing to do in the late 40's, 50's, or 60's ? The gun looks like new but no box. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 10 Post war" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Remo223
April 4, 2011, 03:06 PM
i've never heard of a gold trigger as a factory option on a smith&wesson revolver. Maybe it was though. Ya never know.

rcmodel
April 4, 2011, 05:05 PM
Never a factory option.
So we have to assume someone at Bob's Bumper Shop not only plated the hammer & trigger, but maybe the whole gun as well.

In all, I would say there are much better ones out there that haven't been screwed with like that one.

rc

Remo223
April 4, 2011, 05:51 PM
Maybe it's possible it was a special commemorative edition from someone other than S&W. for instance, I think I've seen the NRA offer certain commemoratives with some gold plating in certain areas.

zoom6zoom
April 4, 2011, 07:18 PM
The designation "Model 10" wasn't introduced until 1957.

madcratebuilder
April 5, 2011, 10:59 AM
If it's factory nickle look for a N stamped on the grip frame under the grips. The gold plated hammer/trigger could be from a commemorative revolver or just a custom job. It can be chemically removed or even polished doff, as it is very soft and very thin, probably less than .0005 thick. There are a lot of pre 10 M&P parts floating around, finding replacements should not be a problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 10 Post war" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!